You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Jack Charlton RIP

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1718192021 35>
Author
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daragho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2020 at 3:00pm
It's a real shame that the next home game won't be full of spectators so that we can pay tribute to Jack Charlton. For a change, the pre kick-off ritual of putting names of deceased people associated with football in Ireland up on the screen for a minute's silence would have had real resonance.

Remember when he was presented on the pitch before that England friendly a few summers ago?

I hope something fitting is organised.
Sponsored Links

Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2020 at 3:05pm
Originally posted by Daragho Daragho wrote:

It's a real shame that the next home game won't be full of spectators so that we can pay tribute to Jack Charlton. For a change, the pre kick-off ritual of putting names of deceased people associated with football in Ireland up on the screen for a minute's silence would have had real resonance.

Remember when he was presented on the pitch before that England friendly a few summers ago?

I hope something fitting is organised.

Hopefully the FAI might organise something at a later date when fans will be back properly. Maybe some sort of charity game with the proceeds going to Dementia and Cancer charities in Ireland and England
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
NewtNewbie View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NewtNewbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2020 at 9:29pm
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2020 at 10:37pm
Jack's funeral will be on Tuesday 21st July at 10am I believe in Ashington.  I hope it will be on tv.  I would have gone only for the Covid :(
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
Deco View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2020 at 12:33am
Bit late, but R.I.P Big Jack. 

Thanks for the memories and the good times. 
Let the Games begin ...
kelvin View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kelvin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2020 at 2:24am
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

Originally posted by kelvin kelvin wrote:

Thought the David Squires piece was very well done. Heartfelt but cleverly done as usually is done by Squires.

Jack was football for me. I was an Ireland fan long before I began following club football. I lived for the national team games. He seemed a genuinely good man too.

Only yesterday found a video of Jack and the team spontaneosly visiting my hometown for clay pigeon shooting(!!) and you can see how decent of a man he was. Very approachable. Also, who let Keane have a shotgun FFS?!

https://louthnow.ie/2020/07/13/a-different-kind-of-shooting-practice-when-big-jack-brought-ireland-to-ardee/

I do hope the FAI commemorate his time with the national team and do it justice. It's only right. I fear a statue may be beyond the budget, given the FAI's current... predicament.

Keane with a shotgun!  Imagine he wasn't happy with the shooting facilities!

It's actually even more disturbing seeing him shoot with a smile on his face LOL

Staunton has a big sour head on him. To be fair, the lad was probably annoyed at being dragged back to Co. Louth and not somewhere more exotic.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2020 at 2:43am
Jack was some legend.  Genuinely warm man who was down to earth and one of us. 
Been looking at a lot of videos of him since he died.  The reason he was successful with us was his confidence first and foremost.  He was so confident and sure that we would take on any side in the world and come away with a result. Wasn't false confidence but genuine 'we are one of the best teams int he world' confidence.  He knew we would beat England in 1988 and surprise everyone.  He was amazed that nobody thought that we were a great team. He knew we were and would do the business on a world stage.
His tactics were the right tactics for the time and what we needed at that time.  It was his personality and sheer leadership and confidence that brought us to the promised land. 
Looking at his interview with Bill at the end of 1993 after we qualified and its clear then he had started to doubt himself and this transferred tot he players I think.  He very openly says he wasn;t sure what was wrong with the team and seemed a bit lost on how to put it right.  Then he was in Wexford in April 1994 and says he had doubts about the team but he was confident again after the Germany and Holland game. 
Brilliant man.

DeclanDaly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeclanDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2020 at 3:12am
Agreed TJ. In 2014 or so, I was working in a company in Boston. Lots of nationalities, and we all used to get together for games of FIFA. Would be talking about the big jack years with lads from Israel, India, Mexico, the US...

He made us known. People feared us, but could feel the spirit. Jack was a brilliant leader.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2020 at 5:04pm
Just came across this.

Jack had his own Guinness Tap in his room in Orlando LOL
(About 1min 20secs in)

Edited by Denis Irwin - 16 Jul 2020 at 5:05pm
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2020 at 12:45am
Originally posted by Denis Irwin Denis Irwin wrote:

Just came across this.

Jack had his own Guinness Tap in his room in Orlando LOL
(About 1min 20secs in)

BrilliantLOL

I must have driven past that hotel a load of times on I-4.  Anyone know what hotel it is?

wanderer View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wanderer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2020 at 8:20pm
FAI sent out a press release tonight asking people to wear green on Tuesday and for all radio stations to play put em under pressure at 12.30
Double Maxim View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2020 at 8:28pm
Originally posted by wanderer wanderer wrote:

FAI sent out a press release tonight asking people to wear green on Tuesday and for all radio stations to play put em under pressure at 12.30

Thumbs Up
Double Maxim without doubt the greatest drink in the world
lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2020 at 8:30pm
Clap

Edited by lassassinblanc - 17 Jul 2020 at 8:32pm
Drumcondra 69er View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2020 at 3:24pm
Originally posted by wanderer wanderer wrote:

Will be on Today fm at 3.30 talking about this initiative if anyone fancies tuning in.
Blog: A False First XI
Twitter: @afalsefirstxi
Facebook: A False First XI
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2020 at 7:51pm
Just watching the Ireland England game at Wembley in 1991 on Eir Sport. What a team we had playing that night

ProudAndLoud View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProudAndLoud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2020 at 8:00pm
Ye we had indeed. Remember it well as I had a stitched head after going on the lash and falling over after the 21s match night before in a dark and grim Griffin Park Brentford. Some days and nights. We were afraid of no one and teams were very very wary of us.

Edited by ProudAndLoud - 18 Jul 2020 at 8:01pm
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2020 at 8:31pm
Christ how did Houghton miss 

ConorMac77 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ConorMac77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2020 at 8:37pm
Originally posted by Denis Irwin Denis Irwin wrote:

Just watching the Ireland England game at Wembley in 1991 on Eir Sport. What a team we had playing that night
One of our best performances under Jack. We were all over them, definitely should have won that. 
The nation holds it's breath...YES, WE'RE THERE!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1718192021 35>
  Share Topic