Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Jack Charlton RIP

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1213141516 35>
Author
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton
I love Ireland jerseys

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irelandshirts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2020 at 7:59pm
I know it's strange to say this as a 41 year old but I found myself having a sneaky little cry this morning on hearing the news that Jack Charlton had passed away.

I didn't know the man personally but for a kid of my generation I felt like I did. I felt a little bit of my childhood died this morning. I'm nostalgic & emotional at the best of times but the Charlton era gave me, like many others some of the best memories of our lives.

Ireland was a different country then, we were innocent, not self conscious, there was a greater sense of community and we all felt like we belonged to something greater. We literally were all part of Jackie's Army.

Wiser scribes than me will analyse his personality, his treatment of Liam Brady and his style of football and these are all fair points to discuss.

What he and his players did do tho was to sprinkle a little bit of magic dust over the nation. We were all swepped up in the journey and it was a beautiful rollercoaster of a ride.

And the beautiful residue from that era is our collective shared memories of the one road we were on. Millions of different "where were you moments" and vivid memories that certainly for me will last a lifetime.

History will rightly smile on Jack Charlton. All you can really say is thank you Jack and rest easy. 🇮🇪

WWW.IRELANDSOCCERSHIRTS.COM

Sponsored Links

sid waddell View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2020 at 8:14pm
Originally posted by Drumcondra 69er Drumcondra 69er wrote:

Not blogged in a long time but had to put a few words down to make the passing of such a legend.

I was at that Luxembourg game in September '87. There might have only been 18k at it, but the DART from Tara Street to Lansdowne before it was wedged worse than the trams to the stadium in Poland in 2012. I thought I was going to be crushed. 

Brazil when Liam Brady scored was my first Ireland game. I made my communion that day. 

I didn't go to the Spain game in April '89 despite having a ticket because of a combination of being worried about being crushed after Hillsborough, and probably more pertinently, playing up a minor cough so I could get that day off school. I should have gone to school that day!

Do you remember that line in "We're Gonna Start A Fire" that went "we've got Jack to mind us"? That's how it felt at the time. He was this almost infallible figure who also felt like your grandad. 

Maybe it's because I was growing up at the time - but I think it holds up objectively - the years from 1985 to 1995 (I'd narrow it down even further to '87 to '94 even) were years of unbelievable change in Ireland, the most important years since the decade between 1913 and 1923. There was a confidence and exuberance there in 1995 that was non-existent in 1985. We were a different country. Things changed massively in terms of politics, economically and in popular culture and sporting terms, we were smashing it. The Irish team was at the centre of all that. 
brissy View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brissy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2020 at 8:34pm
I had a little cry my self this morning  rip jack
BabbsBalls View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BabbsBalls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2020 at 9:02pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Originally posted by Drumcondra 69er Drumcondra 69er wrote:

Not blogged in a long time but had to put a few words down to make the passing of such a legend.

A sad day, one we all knew was coming. That sums it up brilliantly, fairplay D69. 
Has any non-Irishman had such an impact on the country, nevermind the football team? Possibly De Valera, even still...

I was thinking this earlier. 

I don’t remember anyone in my time who had the whole country eating out of their hand as much as Jack Charlton. He did wonders for Ireland. 
l hear you are a racist now, father ?
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2020 at 9:50pm
My first football memory is the win over England in 88
Didn’t know much about the size of the achievement at the time, being 5, but remember my Dad had friends round drinking cans of beer and me jumping on the settee after the game 
Just glorious memories of getting into football for Italia 90, collecting the coins u got in petrol stations etc
Remember getting out of school early to watch qualifiers for euro 92 and 94 when they had the early kick offs at landsdowne
I found the Boys in Green documentary that was aired at the start of lockdown on rte a bit emotional looking back at those days under Jack
Loved big Jack. We’ll never see those days again 
Bob Hoskins View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Hoskins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2020 at 10:39pm
Ireland's most beloved Englishman. Rip

Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.
Shermanator1 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shermanator1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2020 at 11:09pm
As an American with Irish, German, and Norwegian ancestry, I was at an impressionable age when Ireland made their magical run at the 1990 World Cup.  By the time World Cup 94 rolled around, I had read every article in every issue of The Irish Times and The Irish Echo I could get my hands on.  I knew how good that team was, although given their average age, I also knew this would be their last hurrah.
My cousin John and I were the only true soccer fans in the family, and purchased tickets for $75 for the opening game against Italy at the old Giants Stadium.  Not many people were giving Ireland much of a chance, but I had a quiet confidence.
The June day was glorious, and the stadium was rocking. Seemingly out of nowhere, Ray Houghton brought us to our feet, and we never sat back down.  Paul McGrath was massive, though Baggio posed a constant threat.  I remember the additional time at the end seemed like it went on forever.  And then finally, the whistle.  Absolute euphoria! Without question, the greatest sporting event I've ever had the privilege of being a part of. The crowd simply didn't want to leave.  The singing continued, the flags waved, the sun shone down. A truly magical and memorable day.
All made possible by Jack Charlton.  His team created a lifelong passion and devotion to the Boys in Green.  And for that, he will forever have my thanks and appreciation.  God bless you, Jack.
JUICEBOMB View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JUICEBOMB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2020 at 11:25pm
a man who brought a country on an adventure it had never been on before....RIP big jack.
Green Cockade View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Cockade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2020 at 11:27pm
The most honourable of honorary Irishmen.
Bo Jackson View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bo Jackson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2020 at 12:05am
No one has ever had a bigger impact in Irish sport than Jack Charlton in my opinion. We'll be lucky to see someone hold the same level of love and respect this man received from the country. 

You don't know Bo?

2018 YBIG Fantasy Football Champ!
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2020 at 12:45am
Jack Charlton did what nobody else would do.

He put his name to a fishing computer game.

Jack Charlton's Match Fishing on the Commodore 64.

"All the excitement of a real fishing match and you don't have to get your feet wet"

https://twitter.com/FensterDJ/status/1282096596616916992

Better than any computer game on the market today.
Whelan88 View Drop Down
Phil Babb
Phil Babb

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whelan88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2020 at 12:51am
Almost feels like losing a favourite uncle, what I liked about him is although a genuine hard man there was always a strong sense of humour and affability. RIP Jack, you should be buried in Glasnevin.
Max Power View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
A.K.A. Mod Powers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Max Power Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2020 at 12:52am
The most important person there ever was or ever will be in Irish sport. He’s the reason we all follow the team around the world like we do, an absolute legend.

RIP Big Jack, we’ll never see your likes again.
Co-Founder of The Paul McShane Fan Club, Portmarnock Branch
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2020 at 12:58am

LOL
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2020 at 1:02am
Originally posted by Denis Irwin Denis Irwin wrote:

LOL
Jack must have loved big tits, sure didn't he pick Cascarino for years.
Max Power View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
A.K.A. Mod Powers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Max Power Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2020 at 1:28am
Roddy Doyle:

See Big Jack’s gone.
-It’s hard to believe.
-I feel like me da’s after dyin’.
-I know what yeh mean.
-The impact tha’ man had on us.
-An’ it wasn’t just the football.
-No – but the football as well.  Remember when we beat England - Ray Houghton’s goal?
-I proposed to the wife at half-time.
-And Italia 90.
-The country was never the same after it.
-Thank f**k.
-We had somethin’ to celebrate.
-The fact tha’ we were Irish.
-Exactly – the fact tha’ we were f**kin’ Irish.  We took the flag back off the Provos.
-We were proud to be Irish.
-Because of an Englishman.
-There yeh go.  It seemed like the end o’ the bad ol’ days, didn’t it?  The economy picked up.  Everythin’ seemed to get better.
-I don’t think the economists would see it tha’ way.
-f**k the economists – we know the truth.  Packie Bonnar saved a penno an’ we became a modern European country.
-Cos o’ Jack.
-Cos o’ Jack – exactly.
-The biggest thing he did, though – the most important thing.
-Wha’?
-He made us look differently at England an’ the English.
-That’s very true.
-Jack Charlton started the peace process.
-An’ he made us proud an’ very happy.
-That’s some legacy, isn’t it?
-Considerin’ he played for f**kin’ Leeds.
Co-Founder of The Paul McShane Fan Club, Portmarnock Branch
Mr. Snrub View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Snrub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2020 at 2:17am
I am a little young to remember the Charlton years properly, I was only 1 for Italia 90 but have vague memories of the aftermath of beating Italy in 94 and driving around in the family car beeping (zero recollection of the actual match). I shed a few tears this morning for Big Jack who put us on the map, not just in a football sense but socially and politically. We were no longer just little old Ireland. He gave us hope and we dared to dream. The reason all of us on here are so obsessed with following our great national team. RIP 
"Here's Robbie Keane...... yeeeessss! That is no more than Ireland deserve!"
ConorMac77 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ConorMac77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2020 at 2:37am
Some wonderful tributes for the big man from everyone...well,nearly everyone - except CNN!

Look at the absolute state of this: ClownThumbs Down

Edited by ConorMac77 - 12 Jul 2020 at 11:41am
The nation holds it's breath...YES, WE'RE THERE!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1213141516 35>
  Share Topic