Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Jack Charlton RIP

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1112131415 35>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Derry City Til I Die

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thebronze14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2020 at 1:53pm
It felt like Jack would be around with us forever. Such memories to look back on. Legend is badyed around too much now but Jack was one of the few. RIP
Sponsored Links

irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2020 at 1:54pm
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

Originally posted by OnTheOneRoad OnTheOneRoad wrote:

Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

Was sick to hear the news this morning. RIP Jack. 

Did so much for football in this country and was responsible for the best sporting achievements this country ever accomplished. 

Would love if they were able to name the South Stand after him. 

A brilliant idea. He was our Bill Shankly or Alex Ferguson. You don't talk about Irish football without talking about Jack. The south stand is full of people who have dreams that Jack is responsible for.

Good idea but I'd personally name the stadium after him if only the rugby agreed to it.

They'd never agree to that and It wouldn't be fair tbh. 

Not sure if they'd even be allowed to name any of the stands given the licensing agreement with Aviva. I assume there'd be less issue just naming a stand after him. 
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
Healy52003 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Healy52003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2020 at 1:57pm
Sad to hear 

Legend of a man changed football culture in this country
Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2020 at 2:17pm
Good article on his appointment and being made public on the Late Late show.

Different times back then - they couldn’t contact him to see would he accept so it was just announced.

He also offered to take Dunphy outside to settle an argument in his first week.

deco911 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Reg Hunter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deco911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2020 at 2:33pm

Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

Originally posted by OnTheOneRoad OnTheOneRoad wrote:

Was sick to hear the news this morning. RIP Jack. 

Did so much for football in this country and was responsible for the best sporting achievements this country ever accomplished. 

Would love if they were able to name the South Stand after him. 

A brilliant idea. He was our Bill Shankly or Alex Ferguson. You don't talk about Irish football without talking about Jack. The south stand is full of people who have dreams that Jack is responsible for.

Good idea but I'd personally name the stadium after him if only the rugby agreed to it.

They'd never agree to that and It wouldn't be fair tbh. 

Not sure if they'd even be allowed to name any of the stands given the licensing agreement with Aviva. I assume there'd be less issue just naming a stand after him. 

The Jack Charlton singing section
King_Kenny View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King_Kenny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2020 at 2:36pm
RIP Jackie!
Terzino View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Terzino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2020 at 2:49pm
Before Jack, I think we had 6 away wins in all qualifying games, and under him we had more than that by year seven of his reign.

So there was a massive shift in the culture of the team, and especially the mentality.

Even today the Charlton DNA persists. Strong defence, reliance on the long-ball, put 'em under pressure, players giving it everything for the jersey, never say die attitude, etc. And the 1-1 draw is still the National Result.

When you think about it, he's our Rinus Michels. Obviously the style is very different, but Jack's legacy and influence has endured, just as much for us as Michels has for Dutch and Spanish football.

Edited by Terzino - 11 Jul 2020 at 2:52pm
DeclanDaly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeclanDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2020 at 3:08pm
Jack is peerless man. RIP.

Worthy of a giant tifo in the stands, whether the fans are there or not
You asked if I'd be anyone from history, fact or fiction, dead or alive:
I said "I'd be Tony Cascarino, circa 1995"
brissy View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brissy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2020 at 3:52pm
Rip Jack What a great man, had some great times with my dad when jack was around, how the game had changed
ConorMac77 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ConorMac77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2020 at 4:41pm
Originally posted by Zinedine Kilbane 110 Zinedine Kilbane 110 wrote:

Good article on his appointment and being made public on the Late Late show.

Different times back then - they couldn’t contact him to see would he accept so it was just announced.

He also offered to take Dunphy outside to settle an argument in his first week.

Good piece. Clap

I think I also heard somewhere that Gaybo finished that announcement by saying 'if that means anything to anybody'. Is that correct? If true, that (along with the silence from the studio audience) would have really summed up how bad things were for the Ireland team at that time. Dead
The nation holds it's breath...YES, WE'RE THERE!!!
cloonacooldude View Drop Down
Joe Lapira
Joe Lapira

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cloonacooldude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2020 at 5:51pm
In the 80s/90s as a young English guy who supported Ireland ,with Irish parents,thanks Jack,for making it ok x
Drumcondra 69er View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2020 at 6:35pm

Not blogged in a long time but had to put a few words down to make the passing of such a legend.

Blog: A False First XI
Twitter: @afalsefirstxi
Facebook: A False First XI
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2020 at 6:39pm
Originally posted by Drumcondra 69er Drumcondra 69er wrote:

Not blogged in a long time but had to put a few words down to make the passing of such a legend.

Always enjoyed your blogs. Keep them coming   Clap
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
Gary McKay View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Yo Adrian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary McKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2020 at 6:46pm
Originally posted by Terzino Terzino wrote:

Before Jack, I think we had 6 away wins in all qualifying games, and under him we had more than that by year seven of his reign.

So there was a massive shift in the culture of the team, and especially the mentality.

Even today the Charlton DNA persists. Strong defence, reliance on the long-ball, put 'em under pressure, players giving it everything for the jersey, never say die attitude, etc. And the 1-1 draw is still the National Result.

When you think about it, he's our Rinus Michels. Obviously the style is very different, but Jack's legacy and influence has endured, just as much for us as Michels has for Dutch and Spanish football.
Seriously Shocked
"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex
Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2020 at 6:57pm

Good stuff D69Clap just one little thing though for you u to look at...you say county instead of country a couple of times in the last paragraphs.
Drumcondra 69er View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2020 at 7:09pm
Originally posted by Sham157 Sham157 wrote:

Good stuff D69Clap just one little thing though for you u to look at...you say county instead of country a couple of times in the last paragraphs.

Sound man, fixed it there. Didn't get picked up by the spell check obviously. Thumbs Up
Blog: A False First XI
Twitter: @afalsefirstxi
Facebook: A False First XI
sid waddell View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2020 at 7:45pm
I sometimes moan that I started following football in January 1987 because the 1986 World Cup and Maradona was just too soon for me, but it meant that I was just the right age for Jack Charlton's tenure as Ireland manager.  Nothing could ever match up to those years and being an impressionable child during them. We who lived through them were lucky. I can't imagine not remembering Italia '90 in the way that I do and I'm glad I don't have to imagine what it was like rather than remember it. The most seminal popular culture event in this country's modern history. Nothing will ever come close. No team will ever make us feel like that again. I think I can remember where I was for every game from January '87 right up to Anfield in '95. Thanks Jack. 
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2020 at 7:55pm

A sad day, one we all knew was coming. That sums it up brilliantly, fairplay D69. 
Has any non-Irishman had such an impact on the country, nevermind the football team? Possibly De Valera, even still...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1112131415 35>
  Share Topic