You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

We’re not Brasil we’re Tuaisceart Éireann

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 341342343344345 369>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zizu Kilbane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2022 at 12:14pm
Originally posted by Territorial Territorial wrote:

Originally posted by Benhur Benhur wrote:

In fairness Terri I  would say this happens in every footballing country on the planet... if you see an eligable player who would be a benefit to your team then you can bet it goes on .. 

Indeed.

Except that the FAI always denied it, even after people like Chris Baird, Shane Ferguson and now Daniel Kearns confirmed it..

Still, I don't suppose we could ever have expected any better from an organisation where a snake like John Delaney employed the likes of Noel King to do his dirty work.

If anything, I'd be critical of the FAI for approaching more players born in the North directly 
"Sometimes, sh*t happens, someone's gotta deal with it, and who ya gonna call?"
Sponsored Links

Territorial View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2022 at 2:17pm
Originally posted by Hotlips_Hoolahan Hotlips_Hoolahan wrote:

I doubt the FAI approached England about Mark Noble, or Scotland about Aiden McGeady, Rocco Vata or James McCarthy.

I can't say for sure one way or other, but I assume if Nigeria were interested in someone like Chiedozie Ogbene or Albania were interested in Kevin Zefi, they'd go straight to the player's representatives.

I've often heard stories about that in re: to Irish players eligible for other countries.

Ayman Ben Mohamed, Roberto Lopes, Eamon Zayed and Zack Elbouzedi are four I'm certain of. They were approached directly without going through the FAI first.

Christ, do I need to draw you a picture?

It's not that approaches are being made, but that the FAI have consistently lied about doing so.

And if it stopped there, that might be something. But I have it directly from (an Irish) contact at an English club with a history of signing Irish players, that the FAI has long been offering inducements to young NI-born players to switch, in the course of schmoozing their parents.

I mean, it is known that King was on a bonus for finding young GB-born players, so why would that not have applied to NI-born players? And that beung the case, what integrity would he show in the process when working for a snake like Delaney?

All of which is made worse when the incentive is to get them to switch, rather than actually select them. Which in turn accounts for the many youngsters who were persuaded to switch, played a couple of minor games, then weren't seen again. Meaning that having used their one permitted switch, there was no way back with NI, who might well have had a place for them.

But I suppose it is just possible that an FAI-led Delaney suddenly exhibited a sense of decency and integrity in this respect, even while showing no such qualities in every other feckin thing he directed.

Yeah, that'll be it.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2022 at 2:48pm

Think everyone would agree about Delaney no suprise there but other than that the fai have done nothing wrong ...for example do you believe the Ifa approached the Fai first to ask Alex Bruce to switch.. not a chance it was all done behind the fai and it's not  a criticism of the Ifa it's how it's done throughout the world 

At the time in 2007 when Bruce finally conceded he wasn't within a mile of playing for England, he made it clear that he was open to other offers and so spoke to both the FAI and IFA. Indeed the IFA called him up for an U-21 squad, but he opted for the FAI instead, openly declaring that  their offer was a "better" one (better team, basically).

As for his subsequent switch to NI nearly 4 years later, even if he didn't approach the IFA first himself (unknown), the IFA wouldn't have had to go behind the FAI's back to inveigle him, since it was blindingly obvious to all that the FAI were no longer in the slightes bit interested in him (last of two friendly ROI  caps two years earlier)

Moreover, he was 26 at the time, so well-placed to know the consequences of his switch, unlike eg some young 17 y.o. Belfast lad who's being chased by the FAI.

So as someone who had the misfortune to see him make his NI debut in a friendy in Malta(!), I'd say that the real criticism of the IFA is in wasting more time on the useless lump after our lucky escape the first time!
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2022 at 3:23pm
Terri, what ages were Michael O'Connor, Jimmy Dunne and Darragh Burns when they were approached by the IFA? 

We're talking about lads who are 17 or 18 here, not little children. So you can stop with the emotive, inflammatory rhetoric.

People younger than this have fought in world wars, gone to college and left the family home to live on their own FFS.

Mipo Odubeko and Armstrong Okoflex have strung us along. Connor Ronan and Daniel Crowley have strung us along before them. All the same age or younger than Kearns.

My point being, they're more than capable of making cynical and pragmatic decisions about what clubs they play for and what country they elect to play for.

And I don't believe you know anyone who can personally vouch that we "schmooze" players parents (not that I'm arsed even if it was true).

You're just parroting what you read here about Noel King and bonuses BTW. Someone who's been stranded in the Amazonian rainforest for the last two decades could see that lads like Lanre Oyebanjo were getting called up for the U21s because it was on a commission basis.

Keep bringing up Daniel Kearns anyway so you can cherry pick what suits your agenda, even though for every case like him there's two or three like Eunan O'Kane to contradict it.
BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2022 at 3:24pm
What about the IFA trying to recruit Darragh Burns? Get over yourself ffs, happens all the time and you still cry about it.
Benhur View Drop Down
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Benhur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2022 at 3:35pm
See Terri... if there was one team from this island there would be none of this goin on and we would all be happy Smile
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2022 at 5:54pm

Terri, what ages were Michael O'Connor, Jimmy Dunne and Darragh Burns when they were approached by the IFA? 
Jeez, I still can't decide whether you are incapable of understanding simple issues, or just ignore them when they don't suit your case. Maybe both?

1. O'Connor: He was 20 when this whole switch thing sprung up, and playing for Linfield. In December 2018 he claimed:

“It is true that I’ve declared for Northern Ireland,” he said speaking to the Belfast Telegaph.“My nanny Patricia is from Dundalk like me but she was born in Belfast, and I think it is the right decision for me, so going forward hopefully I will be playing for Northern Ireland."

While in April 2019, he claimed he had explored no options beyond the ROI.

“I was never going to change, I played underage all the way up and I was never going to change my mind,” he told The42. “I’m from the Republic and that’s who I want to represent. It was just blown up to say that I wanted to declare for Northern Ireland.”

So we don't know who approached whom and besides, if you're relying on Mental Mickey to bolster your case, then it's a pretty weak one (understatement). Oh, and we never picked him.

2. Dunne: He was 21 and playing professionally in England when he first expressed "an interest" in playing for NI. This was a couple of months after being called up for the senior ROI squad for a friendly, but not playing and then being dropped from the squad entirely for the forthcoming competitive game.

Two months after that he was recalled to the ROI squad, meaning his flirtation was NI was a pretty transparent ploy to put pressure on the FAI;

3. Burns:

“Darragh is happy. He’s in with the North U17 squad,” says St. Patrick’s Athletic director of football Ger O’Brien. Darragh Burns initially played for Bohemians U15s before moving to the Inchicore club. At the time, both St. Pats and coaches from the Dublin schoolboys league contacted the FAI about the ability of the technical midfielder and recommended his inclusion. He was not selected. “His Dad is from Northern Ireland, he just wasn’t getting called up,” O’Brien explains.

Meaning he only turned to the IFA after the FAI ignored him. And in any case, playing for NI at under-age didn't tie him, he was still eligible to switch to the ROI, which he has since done. Good luck to him.

We're talking about lads who are 17 or 18 here, not little children. So you can stop with the emotive, inflammatory rhetoric.

Wow! A weak memory as well as a feeble mind - that's some combination. Wacko

Or have you forgotten who it was who described the 17 y.o. Conor Bradley as a "child"  while accusing the IFA of "grooming" him. (It was you, btw LOL}

Mipo Odubeko and Armstrong Okoflex have strung us along. Connor Ronan and Daniel Crowley have strung us along before them. All the same age or younger than Kearns.
Take it up with them - nothing to do with the IFA. Unless, of course, you're accepting that those others you cited earlier were stringing us along?

Either way, you're really not doing your case any good...

And I don't believe you know anyone who can personally vouch that we "schmooze" players parents (not that I'm arsed even if it was true).
I don't give a stuff whether you believe me or not, it's the truth.

You're just parroting what you read here about Noel King and bonuses BTW. Someone who's been stranded in the Amazonian rainforest for the last two decades could see that lads like Lanre Oyebanjo were getting called up for the U21s because it was on a commission basis.
Where and when this first emerged is not the point, what is key is that it happened. But thanks for confirming another point which bolsters my case, not yours. LOL

Keep bringing up Daniel Kearns anyway so you can cherry pick what suits your agenda, even though for every case like him there's two or three like Eunan O'Kane to contradict it.
Er, I was browsing the B.Tele site yesterday for something else, when I noted the Kearns article from the previous day. I thought it might be of interest to some on here, so I posted it, which was when I noted that DM had posted something else some hours earlier.
I hadn't been near this thread for over a month previously.

On which point, what are you doing on a thread for a team you don't even support? LOL

Edited by Territorial - 22 Feb 2022 at 6:03pm
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2022 at 6:08pm

See Terri... if there was one team from this island there would be none of this goin on and we would all be happy Smile

What, you'd be "happy" if the FAI recognised their original mistake and asked to rejoin the IFA?

Hadn't expected that, but having thought about it, we're quite happy on our own, so no thanks.

1880 - Original and Best! Thumbs Up
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2022 at 6:09pm
Originally posted by BrendanD88 BrendanD88 wrote:

What about the IFA trying to recruit Darragh Burns? Get over yourself ffs, happens all the time and you still cry about it.

See my post about Burns, above - that should answer your point.
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2022 at 6:33pm

The way I see it the FAI should be doing a lot more to recruit players living in the North! Setting up training camps for youngsters is the way to go.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2022 at 6:58pm

The way I see it the FAI should be doing a lot more to recruit players living in the North! Setting up training camps for youngsters is the way to go.
When they can hardly afford coaches and training camps in ROI, I suspect that your suggestion may not go down too well at home.

Meanwhile, may I take that reply as being a tacit admission that your earlier whataboutery over Darragh Burns was, well,  dung?
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2022 at 7:05pm

When they can hardly afford coaches and training camps in ROI, I suspect that your suggestion may not go down too well at home.

Meanwhile, may I take that reply as being a tacit admission that your earlier whataboutery over Darragh Burns was, well,  dung?

The f**k you on about? The North were happy to try and steal Darragh Burns! I also know Daniel Kearns personally, someone you like to mention quite a lot on here and it’s laughable you keep mentioning him.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2022 at 8:28pm

The North were happy to try and steal Darragh Burns!
Wow! This is Hotlips-level reasoning. (I use the term "reasoning" loosely. Very loosely).

As DB's own people openly said, the FAI were offered him and declined to pick him. How could the IFA then be said to have "stolen" him, considering the FAI declined the opportunity to "have" him in the first place? Wacko

Besides which, by capping him first, the IFA wasn't tying him from switching to the FAI at a later date, which he's now done. If anything, they have helped both him and the FAI by giving him an opportunity to further his game. And as I said, good luck to the lad, whichever course he takes.

I also know Daniel Kearns personally, someone you like to mention quite a lot on here and it’s laughable you keep mentioning him.
I honestly can't remember the last time I mentioned DK on this thread.

And the only reason I brought him up this time was because his newspaper interview at the weekend was the first time (to my knowledge), that he'd spoken at length on what happened over a decade ago.

I thought it might be of interest to some of the people on this forum, seeing as he was "your" player as well as "ours". In particular, the bit where he openly admitted that it was the FAI who approached him, also that he hasn't suffered any repercussions in NI for his decision, including drawing a wage from both Clftonville AND Linfield!

Which is only as it should be.

Edited by Territorial - 22 Feb 2022 at 8:30pm
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2022 at 10:52pm
People complaining about threads in the RoI section being derailed so I'll just throw up this blog by Daniel Collins here, again, to see if Terri could be arsed offering a rebuttal to any of it, seeing as it addresses a lot of the stuff he's saying.

https://danieldcollins.wordpress.com/2018/03/06/did-michael-oneill-accuse-the-football-association-of-ireland-of-pursuing-a-sectarian-recruitment-policy/

A couple of notes. Michael O'Neill isn't exactly the most reliable narrator. He accused the FAI of establishing contact with Aaron McEneff and Jordan McEneff, which later turned out to be untrue.

Marc Wilson alluded to institutional problems in the NI underage setup that made him uncomfortable continuing his international career with them.

As for MON's assertion that the FAI should stay away from the 17-21 age group, he's repeatedly moaned about the FAI stealing lads like Eunan O'Kane who were well above the age of 21 when they switched associations. So which is it? Is it altruistic concern for the welfare of young players making decisions that will finalise their long-term international futures, or does he just have a problem with Catholics playing for the RoI? 

As for Jimmy Dunne meeting Michael O'Neill. You can cast aspersions all you want about Dunne's motivations, but the bottom line is MON initiated the meeting behind the backs of the FAI, which is weasel-like, and hypocritical given his stance about the FAI doing so (even when he's mistaken).

Personally I think it's irrelevant. Patrick Bamford has always been clear about his wish to pursue an international career with England but met and talked to Mick McCarthy.

But you go ahead and continue moving the goalposts and changing the parameters of the discussion, just like you did when you got simple facts wrong about the IFA's pursuit of Sean Scannell and Michael O'Connor.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2022 at 2:47pm

People complaining about threads in the RoI section being derailed so I'll just throw up this blog by Daniel Collins here, again, to see if Terri could be arsed offering a rebuttal to any of it, seeing as it addresses a lot of the stuff he's saying.

Even a quick scan of that 2018 Blog you dug up revealed a number of factual inaccuracies and false arguments which I could take issue with, but I won't, for the following reason.

The most recent to-and-fro over this issue over on the ROI section followed the switch by Charlie McCann. McCann's case was mentioned in a number of posts on the Rangers thread, and then in the ROI section, but I happily ignored them, despite being name-checked, and even where I thought some of it was wide of the mark. This was because it was then just ordinary posters discussing a matter of interest from their own perspective, which is fair enough.

Until you, HH, waded in with another of your customary agenda-driven and provocative diatribes. On reflection, I should have declined to "bite", but I don't like to see my team and our support falsely disparaged, if only because other readers, who may not be so familiar with the issues, may be persuaded that your ranting has some merit.

But this time I will desist, not only because there is literally nothing I or anyone else could say that would ever change your prejudiced mindset one little jot, but also out of respect for the great majority of decent posters on this forum, who are at risk of dying of boredom at the prospect of another 100 pages of this thread.

Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2022 at 10:40am
Kenny Shiels f**king hell LOL

Edited by Denis Irwin - 13 Apr 2022 at 10:41am
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2022 at 10:56am
Originally posted by Denis Irwin Denis Irwin wrote:

Kenny Shiels f**king hell LOL

I hope Corry Evans's wife doesn't find out. Shocked
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2022 at 11:53am
Even if he thinks that, it's a mental thing to come out with.
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 341342343344345 369>
  Share Topic