You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

We’re not Brasil we’re Tuaisceart Éireann

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 307308309310311 369>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2021 at 11:44pm
Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/56497857

I'd imagine Lewis would be big enough loss for N.I. for the Italy game. 
Well yeah, except that his club form this season has been terrible - can't get into a dreadful Newcastle team, fans want him out of the club already etc

Not so much of a loss if we play 3 at the back, though I personally wouldn't opt for that.

If we play a back four, I personally would pick Stuart "Madeley" Dallas there - he's done it for both Leeds and NI and done it well.

@Territorial

I assume 3 points is the main objective from the opening two games away to Italy and home to Bulgaria? 
Guess so.

Italy are now unbeaten in 22 games under Mancini, so I don't hold out much (any?) hope there. The only thing is that they've not played together for 5 months either, so might start slowly? Also Mancini is normally pretty defensive, so might be happy enough to sit on a 1 or 2 goal lead? (They did hammer eg Liechtenstein 6 and Armenia 9 etc, but I'd expect us to be more obdurate)

The Swiss are obviously one of the most consistent if unspectacular regular qualifiers (as we've found out to our cost in numerous qualification campaigns the horrible coonts LOL) but It wouldn't surprise me if Bulgaria held them to a draw in Sofia. 
Don't need to tell us what horrible coonts the Swiss are - esp Xhaka and Shaqiri - and they were really jammy in beating us in the 2018 play-offs.

As for Bulgaria, you obviously know more about them than I do, but I really don't think they very good at all: 2 wins in 22 games - a 1-0 ECQ vs Czechia and a 3-0 Friendly vs Gib, both at home.

Ranked 36 in Europe doesn't say much for them, either.

So I'd expect Switz to beat them in Sofia and us to win in Belfast.
Sponsored Links

irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2021 at 12:03am
Would Dallas not be more useful for N.I. in a midfield role which I thought was his more natural position? 

I know he's played both right back and left back at some stage or another but he has the odd goal in him in fairness. 

The Bulgarians have gone to the dogs but they could spring a surprise in either your crowd's game with them or the Swiss in Sofia (Hopefully it's the former) Wink

I don't think Italy will hammer N.I. in the first game either tbh. A tight little stadium in Parma with no crowd suits your lot more than the home side. Italy will need to get the early goal as the longer it goes on without one, they could panic a bit.  
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
Territorial View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2021 at 12:30pm

Would Dallas not be more useful for N.I. in a midfield role which I thought was his more natural position? 

I know he's played both right back and left back at some stage or another but he has the odd goal in him in fairness.

Tbh, SD could play in any one of 4 or 5 positions and he'd be better than the player he replaced.

But if Lewis is out we may need him most at LB, seeing as we've already got a number of average midfielders who can do a job there (sort of), and we're likely to play only one up front, two maximum.

Besides, he played virtually the whole of last season at LB for Leeds and started this season there, too (although he's since been moved further forward).

But who knows, Bara may have different plans: like Michael, he seems to pick his formations and tactics according to the opposition being faced.

The Bulgarians have gone to the dogs but they could spring a surprise in either your crowd's game with them or the Swiss in Sofia (Hopefully it's the former) Wink

It's always possible we'll fail to beat Bulgaria.

But whereas previously we were as easily capable of beating a Big Boy one week, then losing to a minnow the next, the basis of Michael O'Neill's success was that we consistently won the games we were expected to win, even if we didn't pull off any shocks ourselves. And I get the feeling that Bara is cut from the same cloth.

I don't think Italy will hammer N.I. in the first game either tbh. A tight little stadium in Parma with no crowd suits your lot more than the home side. Italy will need to get the early goal as the longer it goes on without one, they could panic a bit.  

I don't think they'll hammer us, but that's primarily because Italy are traditionally "The Kings of Doing Just Enough".

And it's even less likely that we'll cause them to "panic" - we've not done that to other teams since David Healy retired!
Martiponti View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Martiponti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2021 at 8:06pm
Cry
Cabra Hoop View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2021 at 8:26pm
Agus aris...
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Martiponti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2021 at 8:26pm
CryCry
ConorMac77 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ConorMac77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2021 at 8:27pm
2-0 Italy - BPF won't want to watch too many replays of it, beaten at his near post. Embarrassed
The nation holds it's breath...YES, WE'RE THERE!!!
Cabra Hoop View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2021 at 8:40pm
Originally posted by Martiponti Martiponti wrote:

CryCry
I feel your pain....Wink
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2021 at 8:48pm
Originally posted by ConorMac77 ConorMac77 wrote:

2-0 Italy - BPF won't want to watch too many replays of it, beaten at his near post. Embarrassed

He was very poor for Slovakia's winner in the playoff. 

Way too slow to get down to save it at the post and there wasn't even that much power in it. 
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2021 at 10:16pm
The United Ireland football team will have a few dodgy goalkeepers in the squad then in a few years, if this weeks anything to go by 

Edited by Roberto Baggio - 25 Mar 2021 at 10:19pm
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2021 at 10:19pm

Originally posted by ConorMac77 ConorMac77 wrote:

He was very poor for Slovakia's winner in the playoff. 

Way too slow to get down to save it at the post and there wasn't even that much power in it. 

He's very small for a goalkeeper. Doesn't have much presence at all. Though Mark Travers is huge and that didn't benefit us last night.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2021 at 11:10pm
Originally posted by Hotlips_Hoolahan Hotlips_Hoolahan wrote:

He's very small for a goalkeeper. Doesn't have much presence at all.
Wha?

Burnley have him as 193cms = 6'4" - and he's built to match:
https://www.burnleyfootballclub.com/player/bailey-peacock-farrell

And if he didn't have a good game tonight, that's just down to a lack of sharpness from not playing. Looking at his previous performances, I'll be happy if he's our gk for the next decade.

Ideally Burnley will take a big wedge of money for Pope in thw summer, then replace him with an experienced 30-something old pro on a free, to keep the gloves warm until BP-F steps up.

Beyond that, after a first half where we gave Italy far too much respect, our performance in the second where we took the game to them and created chances, indicates we can give Switzerland a good run for second place.

Onwards and Upwards! Thumbs Up
AonSceal19 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AonSceal19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2021 at 11:16pm
Originally posted by Territorial Territorial wrote:

Wha?

And if he didn't have a good game tonight, that's just down to a lack of sharpness from not playing. Looking at his previous performances, I'll be happy if he's our gk for the next decade.

Ideally Burnley will take a big wedge of money for Pope in thw summer, then replace him with an experienced 30-something old pro on a free, to keep the gloves warm until BP-F steps up.

Beyond that, after a first half where we gave Italy far too much respect, our performance in the second where we took the game to them and created chances, indicates we can give Switzerland a good run for second place.

The Swiss will top that group.
“Randolph sends it long…and Shane Long is in behind the German defence… Shane Long against Neuer…. 1-0!.. What a moment!”
doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2021 at 11:18pm
Nope Italy will
I love beer gardens
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Martiponti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2021 at 11:26pm

[QUOTE=Hotlips_Hoolahan]
I'll be happy if he's our gk for the next decade.

we can give Switzerland a good run for second place

Terri has lost his census
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2021 at 11:37pm

Wha?

Are they your own thoughts or are you just repeating what Baraclough said? Wink

BPK seems to have a weakness for those kind of near post shots. He should've saved Slovakia's winner imo. 

Dallas was caught out for Italy's opener but I thought Baraclough kinda hung him to to dry a bit in his interview tbh. Kenny avoided blaming our goalie last night who cost us two goals which is probably the better way to go even if it might come across as being a bit disingenuous. 

Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2021 at 11:42pm

Wha?

You’ll be happy if your “country” is still in existence in a decade 
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2021 at 11:42pm
Originally posted by AonSceal19 AonSceal19 wrote:

The Swiss will top that group.

Italy are now unbeaten in 23 games, 18 of them wins.

They won their last Euro qualifying group with 10 straight wins.

And I think I'm right in saying they've never lost a World Cup qualifier at home.

And although they haven't played Switzerland recently, Italy's record against them is:
PL 58  W28  D22  L8  F107  A67

Anyhow, the Swiss are good, no doubt, and have to be favourites to finish ahead of NI.

But I'd be hugely surprised if they came in ahead of Italy as well.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 307308309310311 369>
  Share Topic