Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

We’re not Brasil we’re Tuaisceart Éireann

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 274275276277278 369>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2019 at 6:47pm
Terrence is just a contrarian who will just argue for the sake of it.  I have a feeling its Jim Allister.
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
Sponsored Links

TonyNotJack View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TonyNotJack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2019 at 6:53pm
Not even Jim Allister would do that multi quote thing.
Territorial View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2019 at 7:35pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

We all know that that FAI approach or have been approached by players who have a realistic chance of playing for us.

Terry knows this but is being disingenuous about it.

The FAI have approached/been approached by loads of youngsters from NI and persuaded them to use their one permitted switch.

They then didn't care a jot when those same youngsters didn't to make it to senior level, though might still have made a senior international career with NI were they not now tied.

That is the disingenuity in this case, as evidenced eg by Brian Kerr, where he at least had the integrity to advise a young Michael McGovern to throw his lot in with NI. Which changed his life/career, after his performances for us at Euro2016 got him a transfer from Hamilton Academical to Norwich City.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2019 at 7:39pm
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

Terrence is just a contrarian who will just argue for the sake of it.  I have a feeling its Jim Allister.

So you've now gone from "playing the ball" (or trying to), to "playing the man".

Inevitable, I guess.
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2019 at 7:46pm
Originally posted by Territorial Territorial wrote:

So you've now gone from "playing the ball" (or trying to), to "playing the man".

Inevitable, I guess.

Yes us taigs fight dirty don't you know. 

Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2019 at 7:49pm

Inevitable, I guess.

Yes us taigs fight dirty don't you know. 
No, I don't judge your fellow religionists/ROI fans by your standards.

Your crap is all your own work.
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2019 at 7:52pm

We all know that that FAI approach or have been approached by players who have a realistic chance of playing for us.

The FAI have approached/been approached by loads of youngsters from NI and persuaded them to use their one permitted switch.

They then didn't care a jot when those same youngsters didn't to make it to senior level, though might still have made a senior international career with NI were they not now tied.

That is the disingenuity in this case, as evidenced eg by Brian Kerr, where he at least had the integrity to advise a young Michael McGovern to throw his lot in with NI. Which changed his life/career, after his performances for us at Euro2016 got him a transfer from Hamilton Academical to Norwich City.

That's the nature of the beast.

There are a number of players in that NI squad who went onto both play in the Euro's and carved out some very good international careers for themselves regardless of their background, who wouldn't have made the cut at the ROI.

You are either good enough or you're not and in most cases it's the latter.

McGinn is a ROI supporter but opted to play for the North and would possibly only have a handful of caps at ROI.

Grealish came through the ROI ranks, and thought the grass would be greener on the other side. Didn't work out that way.

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
gspain View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gspain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2019 at 10:45am

Alan Kernaghan was 'poached' by the FAI. He was brought up in a staunchly Unionist area in Bangor.

Alan Kernaghan was the first in the modern era.  He actually wanted to play for NI having grown up in Bangor with IIRC 4 NI born grandparents.  He was born in England but moved back at a young age.  The IFA refused to pick him.  He approached the FAI is my understanding after the IFA truned him down.

He was a great servant and gets a lot of unfair abuse for one poor performance v Spain in 93.  Kevin Moran was awful that day but got away with that one as a legend otherwise.  Alan Kerngan was superb in Copenhagen.  He played very well for us in other games and we wouldn't have made USA 94 without him.      

Phil Babb appeared in early 1994 and we thought we'd found the next Paul McGrath but that's another story. 

I beleive he was probably the catalyst for NI born players playing for us.  There almost certainly was a "gentleman's agreement" between the associations dating back to the 1950's.  NI born players were always eligible although I'm not aware of any approaching the FAI.  

Many now view our side as a de facto 32-county All Ireland team.  This was most definitely not the case in 1992 when Alan Kernaghan declared.  
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2019 at 2:47pm
Originally posted by gspain gspain wrote:

Alan Kernaghan was the first in the modern era.  He actually wanted to play for NI having grown up in Bangor with IIRC 4 NI born grandparents.  He was born in England but moved back at a young age.  The IFA refused to pick him.  He approached the FAI is my understanding after the IFA truned him down.
https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/international/i-longed-to-play-for-northern-ireland-says-former-republic-star-kernaghan-28503648.html
Link above indicates it may have been 2 x NI-born grandparents but no matter, you're quite correct, he was NI through-and-through as a kid. However, although FIFA's rules had recently changed to permit eligibility via a grandparent, the stick-in-the-mud IFA declined to take advantage of this, insisting instead that they would only cap players with a parent from NI. Iirc, they were the last (only?) one of the four British Associations to hold to this line.
And yes, on the basis that he just wanted to play international football, that is why AK turned to the FAI (fair enough, imo).
Anyhow, I'm not sure whether AK's case was the one which caused the IFA to resile from their stance, or whether it was just the widespread acceptance elsewhere of the "granny rule", but they finally decided to embrace the 20th century before it was too late, in this respect at least.
[AK got his first ROI cap in 1992, I have a feeling that the first "granny ruler" we capped may have been Kevin Horlock - NI debut in 1995]

I beleive he was probably the catalyst for NI born players playing for us.  There almost certainly was a "gentleman's agreement" between the associations dating back to the 1950's.  NI born players were always eligible although I'm not aware of any approaching the FAI. 
I'd say you're correct on all three points. Re the last, it is always possible that one or two may have approached the FAI pre-Kernaghan, esp if they had played or lived in ROI for a period. But assuming the "gentleman's agreement" was in place, they would likely have been knocked back.

Many now view our side as a de facto 32-county All Ireland team.  This was most definitely not the case in 1992 when Alan Kernaghan declared.  
Indeed.

P.S. I have heard it claimed by one or two deranged individuals that any player from a Unionist background who opted to represent the ROI could "never go home again" (for fear of abuse etc). Kernaghan gives the lie to this, seeing as he later went on to coach at Rangers, before returning to NI to manage East Belfast's finest, Glentoran.

Edited by Territorial - 04 Dec 2019 at 2:52pm
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2019 at 4:50pm

Edited by horsebox - 04 Dec 2019 at 4:50pm
He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2019 at 4:52pm

Many
now view our side as a de facto 32-county All Ireland team.  This was
most definitely not the case in 1992 when Alan Kernaghan declared.  
Indeed.

P.S. I have heard it claimed by one or two deranged individuals that any player from a Unionist background who opted to represent the ROI could "never go home again" (for fear of abuse etc). Kernaghan gives the lie to this, seeing as he later went on to coach at Rangers, before returning to NI to manage East Belfast's finest, Glentoran.

James McClean counters that claim does it not?

He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2019 at 6:24pm

Indeed.

James McClean counters that claim does it not?

Eh? Confused
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2019 at 7:10pm
Like you say Terrance he had no choice to play for TE so was hardly turning them down.  If a unionist had a choice and opted to play for us there would be uproar. Not that he ever would.

The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2019 at 8:31am

Alan Kernaghan was 'poached' by the FAI. He was brought up in a staunchly Unionist area in Bangor.

He was a great servant and gets a lot of unfair abuse for one poor performance v Spain in 93.  Kevin Moran was awful that day but got away with that one as a legend otherwise.  Alan Kerngan was superb in Copenhagen.  He played very well for us in other games and we wouldn't have made USA 94 without him.      

Phil Babb appeared in early 1994 and we thought we'd found the next Paul McGrath but that's another story. 

Even before the Good Friday Agreement?

Edited by The Huntacha - 05 Dec 2019 at 8:31am
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2019 at 1:41pm

Like you say Terrance he had no choice to play for TE so was hardly turning them down.  If a unionist had a choice and opted to play for us there would be uproar. Not that he ever would.

Do you think that the sort of meatheads who would threaten players would make such a distinction? You clearly know very little about their type.

Besides, when Craig,  Dougan, Hunter and Hamilton played for that "all-Ireland" team vs Brazil in 1973, with Dougan openly advocating making the experiment permanent, not a word was said to any of them. Nor when Best was said to have advocated a single team. Not when Hamilton took on a role with the FAI subsequently.

As I said before, you should stick to Roy Keane parodies, it's easy enough when he's virtually a self-parody himself these days and you can discern all you need to know about the subject from the tabloids.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2019 at 3:02pm

Do you think that the sort of meatheads who would threaten players would make such a distinction? You clearly know very little about their type.

Besides, when Craig,  Dougan, Hunter and Hamilton played for that "all-Ireland" team vs Brazil in 1973, with Dougan openly advocating making the experiment permanent, not a word was said to any of them. Nor when Best was said to have advocated a single team. Not when Hamilton took on a role with the FAI subsequently.

As I said before, you should stick to Roy Keane parodies, it's easy enough when he's virtually a self-parody himself these days and you can discern all you need to know about the subject from the tabloids.

Territorial Diaries coming to a YBIG thread near you soon. No need for parodies. Just rehash your posts.

You've gone from a unionist declaring for The EIRE to playing for an all island team.  Any unionist who wanted to play for us would be disowned.  As if it would happen anyway but I guess that's sectarian. I'm sure there are black lads who would like to join the KKK.

Ah sure I forgot everyone up north is so friendly. I remember how nice they were in Windsor on 17 November 1993.   Sure the lovely Billy Bingham (who loves catholics btw), had a lovely welcome for us.  Was he not whipping up the crowd with his royal wave and encouraging the crowd chanting abuse?  Yes he did.  I'm sure he'd love David Healy, and MON to have played for us instead.

Edited by Trap junior - 05 Dec 2019 at 3:06pm

daithi View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daithi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2019 at 3:35pm

Territorial Diaries coming to a YBIG thread near you soon. No need for parodies. Just rehash your posts.

You've gone from a unionist declaring for The EIRE to playing for an all island team.  Any unionist who wanted to play for us would be disowned.  As if it would happen anyway but I guess that's sectarian. I'm sure there are black lads who would like to join the KKK.

Ah sure I forgot everyone up north is so friendly. I remember how nice they were in Windsor on 17 November 1993.   Sure the lovely Billy Bingham (who loves catholics btw), had a lovely welcome for us.  Was he not whipping up the crowd with his royal wave and encouraging the crowd chanting abuse?  Yes he did.  I'm sure he'd love David Healy, and MON to have played for us instead.

LOL
Just because it's tradition does not make it right
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2019 at 4:32pm

Ah sure I forgot everyone up north is so friendly. I remember how nice they were in Windsor on 17 November 1993.   Sure the lovely Billy Bingham (who loves catholics btw), had a lovely welcome for us.  Was he not whipping up the crowd with his royal wave and encouraging the crowd chanting abuse?  Yes he did. 

No you don't. You weren't there. I was. And whatever else was said, which I've never denied or defended, in that instance Bingham was waving in response to the home crowd singing "One Team in Ireland" as a pisstake.

Before, like the "Bouncy" myth, this was suddenly distorted to a disgraceful slur to tarnish the reputation of a good man.

Of course I don't expect you to take my word on matters like this, so I instead will happily refer you to 'Gspain' for his recall, seeing as he was there. He was sitting amongst the NI fans (obv), who cottoned on to the fact that he was an ROI fan when your equaliser went in, yet the only adverse comment he received was a "Jammy Bastard" remark at the final whistle.

Indeed, he has already given a full account of his experience on this very forum and whatever else, it hasn't deterred him from making numerous visits to Windsor in the years since.

Not that ignorant, prejudiced detractors like you pay heed to anything which doesn't suit your pre-determined agenda....

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 274275276277278 369>
  Share Topic