You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

We’re not Brasil we’re Tuaisceart Éireann

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 269270271272273 369>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2019 at 4:50pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Originally posted by Territorial Territorial wrote:

Why don't you answer the question, instead of whole load of whataboutery?

Why were the NI fans booing VVD?

I had thought it obvious from my post, but I'll type this slowly, to give you a chance to catch up.

The NI fans booed VVD for exactly the same reason they booed eg Ronaldo when he came to WP - he is their best and most high profile player, and a bit of an arrogant sod to boot. Rumenigge and Rooney got the same.

Though unlike VVD, Ronaldo at least had the good grace to applaud the home support at the end, since he recognised even a back-handed compliment.

Well you see, I just simply find that hard to believe, I really do.
I would say it was more to do with him playing for Celtic than anything else.
I suspect you do.

Because in my experience, people with firmly entrenched mindsets are reluctant to accept anything which challenges their pre-conceived prejudices.

Even when they're talking about something about which they have absolutely no actual knowledge or experience, and in the face of logic, evidence and testimony from others who do.

(I am assuming you've never been to a home NI international in your entire life)

It's still not a big deal.

Just big enough for you to post on it in the first place.

And keep coming back.

Anyhow, it is a "big deal" for me. For while I have never denied or defended the misbehaviour that a section of our fans sometimes engages in, I'm f**ked if I'll take collective blame for entirely false lies made up by people acting from a position of ignorance and spite on top.
Sponsored Links

horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2019 at 5:03pm
I'd have no interest in entering a cauldron full of Union Jacks belting out a foreign nations national anthem.

I watched the game and couldn't believe what I was watching, how any Nationalist\Catholic or whatever badge you want to put on them could play or even enter that ground and not feel intimidated or uncomfortable beggars belief.

No one is asking you to take any blame either for the booing.

We all know that VVD got booed because he played for Celtic, it's rivalry and banter.

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Territorial View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2019 at 5:06pm
Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

@Terri

In the Dutch game do you think O'Neill could've been a bit less risk adverse on Saturday night going into the last 20 minutes? Granted he made the point in the post-match that N.I. couldn't get in possession and further up the pitch in the second half, but I thought N.I. seemed to be more concerned with containing the Dutch as opposed to trying to get the goal.  

Now he did make a good point about how difficult it is for League 1 players when they're up against the technically superior Dutch so even taking that into account, could he have went for broke a bit more as they needed a goal towards the end of the game?

It reminds me a small bit of the Wales game in the Euros where N.I. had the measure of them were the better team in the first half imo and should’ve went for the jugular against Wales who had the added pressure of being the favourites and they were very flat in that game. It was definitely a missed opportunity for N.I. I thought.

N.I. were very attack minded in the Nations League and would probably have gotten 4/5 points if they had a decent striker but it looked like O’Neill went back to a more cautiously defensive style when they needed the goal the other night against the Dutch. He still seems to have that conservative streak in him. Again not having a pop and it’s understandable given the limited pool he has to choose from.

If you look at the way we went at them in the first 25 minutes, I don't think you can say we were cautious/defensive. I mean, all we had to play for was a win - any other result would make no difference.

But the Dutch clearly adjusted their tactics at half time, leading to an endless succession of passes back and forth between their back five, mostly in their own half of the field. And that is very hard to break down, esp with Championship-level players up against Premier, or even Champions, League players. (I also think we were disheartened by the penalty miss - Davis especially).

As for the last 20, Michael took off attacking midfielder Saville, who clearly out of puff from not having played much recently, and moved Dallas to the left wing instead. He then took off Corry Evans, a defensive midfielder, and replaced him with McGinn, an attacking midfielder/winger. Finally he replaced LB Lewis with Thompson, another attacking midfielder.

Tbh, there wasn't much more he could have done, when you consider his three subs play for Hearts, Aberdeen and Blackpool, as opposed to Koeman's subs from Brighton, Bournemouth and Barcelona!
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2019 at 5:23pm
Originally posted by Gashley Grimes Gashley Grimes wrote:

Don't mind those Freestaters Terri - Noel Brotherston would have been 62 today.
King of Ewood and famed for that copper top...any memories of him?

I'll say!

The very essence of a "Ninety Minute Man", who always gave his all. And it wasn't just effort, he had no mean ability too.

As it happens, he peaked rather early in his career, before (I think) injury and fitness problems took their toll - essential for a tricky winger like him. Which was doubly sad, because he should have been hitting his peak just when the NI team was, under Bingham in the mid-80's.

Though I was there when he probably had his greatest game in a green top, when we beat Wales 1-0 in Cardiff to win the 1980 British Championship for the first time in years. Noel played a blinder that day and fittingly scored the only goal (1 min 30 secs in):

(Also seen scoring against Sweden in Belfast on 26 secs).

Perhaps the finest tribute to Brotherston's career came when named "trickiest opponent" by 86-time capped England full-back, Kenny Samson.

Above came from this Bio:
https://nifootball.blogspot.com/2006/08/noel-brotherston.html
The readers' comments below are nice, too.

Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2019 at 5:54pm

I'd have no interest in entering a cauldron full of Union Jacks belting out a foreign nations national anthem.

No, I don't suppose you do. I mean, if you had your eyes properly opened, you might get blinded by the light.

I watched the game and couldn't believe what I was watching, how any Nationalist\Catholic or whatever badge you want to put on them could play or even enter that ground and not feel intimidated or uncomfortable beggars belief.
Which you would know from the comfort of your front room, I suppose.

Better than this fellow, for instance:
https://www.northernslant.com/son-first-northern-ireland-match/

Or this one:
https://www.newsletter.co.uk/news/wells-helps-dispel-myths-for-windsor-park-sceptics-1-8135954

Or even your very own 'Gspain', who regularly attends NI games, Limerick accent and all, and consistently reports on this very forum on the good atmosphere at games.

But oh, no, you know better. Confused

No one is asking you to take any blame either for the booing.

We all know that VVD got booed because he played for Celtic, it's rivalry and banter.
No you don't, you just tell yourself you do, since it fits in with your own prejudices.

And the fact that you would dismiss (alleged) prejudice as mere "banter" etc reveals your true attitude to such matters.
Martiponti View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Martiponti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2019 at 6:11pm
I'd be happy to go along to a TE game at Windsor IF........Steve Davis missed a penalty every timeLOLLOLLOLLOL
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2019 at 10:39am
Who can the north of Ireland get in the play offs?
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2019 at 10:47am
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

Most likely Bosnia away first and us,Wales or Slovakia in the Final. 
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
GAWA View Drop Down
Phil Babb
Phil Babb

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GAWA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2019 at 10:49am
The 'run a mile to be offended' gang at it again I see. VVD getting booed cos he's a former Celtic player?! Laughable and pathetic. When playing one of the bigger nations their best player always comes in for a bit of stick. Rooney got it, Ronaldo got it and even from the Man Utd fans including myself. Get over yourselves fs.
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2019 at 10:53am

Most likely Bosnia away first and Wales or Slovakia in the Final. 
Fixed.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2019 at 11:07am
Originally posted by GAWA GAWA wrote:

The 'run a mile to be offended' gang at it again I see. VVD getting booed cos he's a former Celtic player?! Laughable and pathetic. When playing one of the bigger nations their best player always comes in for a bit of stick. Rooney got it, Ronaldo got it and even from the Man Utd fans including myself. Get over yourselves fs.
Says the fella who joined an Ireland forum to show how offended others being offended made him.

For the record, I’m incredibly offended that you were offended by the people who were wrongly offended. I hope that doesn’t offend you.
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2019 at 11:14am
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Fixed.

Was waiting for ya to do that. LOL You need new material PM.  
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2019 at 11:30am
Muff you spend more time in this thread than any other LOL
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2019 at 12:01pm
Originally posted by GAWA GAWA wrote:

I don't think anyone is offended to be honest. It's not as if you have previous for these type of things, remember this in 1690 sorry I mean 2019

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sunday-life/we-hate-catholics-song-woman-finlay-faces-northern-ireland-match-ban-37967184.html

It's an improvement on looking to murder your Celtic captain I suppose.

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2019 at 1:43pm

Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Fixed.

Was waiting for ya to do that. LOL You need new material PM.  
Reality is rarely funny.
RogerMilla View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
#TEAMJAVIER #ENGANCHE

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RogerMilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2019 at 2:30pm
off to the norn iron match tonight 
The first time the Devil made me do it. The second time I did it on my own.
Shoco View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Hail Hail the Celts are here

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shoco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2019 at 2:35pm
Jesus this thread....

YOUR 3 IN A ROW LEAGUE CHAMPIONS
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2019 at 8:01pm
TE 1-0 up on the Master Race with a cracker of a strike
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 269270271272273 369>
  Share Topic