You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

We’re not Brasil we’re Tuaisceart Éireann

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 268269270271272 369>
Author
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2019 at 2:39pm
Originally posted by Territorial Territorial wrote:

Originally posted by Tyronebhoy Tyronebhoy wrote:

Judging by the booing for Virgil throughout game they haven't forgiven him for playing for Celtic. Either that or they're racist bastards.

Yep, that's why they booed VVD, because he once played for Celtic.

Probably also explains why Koeman got far more abuse, too, though I personally had forgotten he must have been a Celt too. Niall McGinn as well, though the boos sounded uncannily like cheers to me when he was introduced.

And then there's the racism. Though I guess the NI support mustn't have noticed Ryan Babel and Nathan Ake in the Dutch team - the fans get a black mark for that, so.

I mean, it couldn't be that just about every opponents best and most high profile player often gets booed, eg Rooney, Ronaldo, Rumenigge, Bale, could it?

Or that some "observers" are so bigoted themselves that they'll believe any old crap if it reinforces their own prejudices?

Btw, that Niall McGinn I mentioned is a fellow Tyrone man of yours, winning his 60th cap for NI on Saturday. The one who said in 2010:
“Anytime I have come on at Windsor Park I have enjoyed it and the fans have been great as well. I just love playing at Windsor Park and I just have to make the most of any opportunity that I might get.” 

And who, when interviewed by Si Ferry much more recently, agreed that playing for NI in the Euros was the highlight of his entire career "without a shadow of a doubt"

He just got bullets in the post. 
Sponsored Links

pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2019 at 2:41pm
Originally posted by Jock Jock wrote:

Originally posted by Tyronebhoy Tyronebhoy wrote:

Judging by the booing for Virgil throughout game they haven't forgiven him for playing for Celtic. Either that or they're racist bastards.

Yep, that's why they booed VVD, because he once played for Celtic.

Probably also explains why Koeman got far more abuse, too, though I personally had forgotten he must have been a Celt too. Niall McGinn as well, though the boos sounded uncannily like cheers to me when he was introduced.

And then there's the racism. Though I guess the NI support mustn't have noticed Ryan Babel and Nathan Ake in the Dutch team - the fans get a black mark for that, so.

I mean, it couldn't be that just about every opponents best and most high profile player often gets booed, eg Rooney, Ronaldo, Rumenigge, Bale, could it?

Or that some "observers" are so bigoted themselves that they'll believe any old crap if it reinforces their own prejudices?

Btw, that Niall McGinn I mentioned is a fellow Tyrone man of yours, winning his 60th cap for NI on Saturday. The one who said in 2010:
“Anytime I have come on at Windsor Park I have enjoyed it and the fans have been great as well. I just love playing at Windsor Park and I just have to make the most of any opportunity that I might get.” 

And who, when interviewed by Si Ferry much more recently, agreed that playing for NI in the Euros was the highlight of his entire career "without a shadow of a doubt"

He just got bullets in the post. 
Bullets or boo-lets? 
Territorial View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2019 at 2:41pm
Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

But to use the old adage, self praise is no praise. I suspect Windsor Park can have a pretty unique atmosphere, given it being intimate, and coupled with NI’s good run of form.    

I wasn't praising our support, I was merely defending us against the latest in a long line of false accusations made up by bitter, prejudiced detractors.

If I made up something nasty and mailicious about your support, I wouldn't expect you to just accept it without comment.
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2019 at 2:44pm
I was speaking more about the articles you linked. And you’re more than entitled to make a point rebutting something like that. I’ve certainly heard plenty of booing at Lansdowne Road of players and I don’t think anybody would conjecture any malintent apart from a sporting rivalry.
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2019 at 2:51pm

Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Why don't you answer the question, instead of whole load of whataboutery?

Why were the NI fans booing VVD?

I had thought it obvious from my post, but I'll type this slowly, to give you a chance to catch up.

The NI fans booed VVD for exactly the same reason they booed eg Ronaldo when he came to WP - he is their best and most high profile player, and a bit of an arrogant sod to boot. Rumenigge and Rooney got the same.

Though unlike VVD, Ronaldo at least had the good grace to applaud the home support at the end, since he recognised even a back-handed compliment.

Well you see, I just simply find that hard to believe, I really do.
I would say it was more to do with him playing for Celtic than anything else.

It's still not a big deal.

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Green Devil View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Aye Kes, I've pissed me-self again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2019 at 3:00pm

I had thought it obvious from my post, but I'll type this slowly, to give you a chance to catch up.

The NI fans booed VVD for exactly the same reason they booed eg Ronaldo when he came to WP - he is their best and most high profile player, and a bit of an arrogant sod to boot. Rumenigge and Rooney got the same.

Though unlike VVD, Ronaldo at least had the good grace to applaud the home support at the end, since he recognised even a back-handed compliment.

There were plenty of Rangers/NI supporters club flags in the crowd the other night.

I'm sure Rangers fans can boo ex Celtic players based on football rivalry without bringing religion or race into it and vice versa.

"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan
MC Hammered View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Hammered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2019 at 3:05pm
Originally posted by Green Devil Green Devil wrote:

There were plenty of Rangers/NI supporters club flags in the crowd the other night.

I'm sure Rangers fans can boo ex Celtic players based on football rivalry without bringing religion or race into it and vice versa.

Our supporters can even boo a lad (Peter Madsen) who they mistook for a Rangers player Big smile
El Puto Amo
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2019 at 3:06pm

That's how I see it.

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Devrozex View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Devrozex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2019 at 3:06pm

Home fans in booing the oppositions star player shocker.

This happens all the time, Ronaldo is booed every where he goes, the same for Sterling, Zlatan, Neymar etc.

So they booed him because he is their best player or because he used to play for Celtic?

You appear to be running rings around yourself defending this for some reason...
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2019 at 3:06pm
Originally posted by MC Hammered MC Hammered wrote:

Our supporters can even boo a lad (Peter Madsen) who they mistook for a Rangers player Big smile

Aye, remember that alright!

The poor **** was playing for Brondby or someone at the time and he got dogs abuse LOL
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2019 at 3:07pm
It’s gone very Helen Lovejoy alright. I think there should be a full survey of Norn Iron fans to ask each and every individual supporter that booed why they were booing. Choices to be:

1) Because he is good at football
2) Because he played for Celtic
3) Because he plays for Liverpool 
4) Because he plays for the Netherlands 
5) Because everybody else was doing it
6) Because you like Niall McGinn( I had assumed this was previously irrelevant)
7) Because we have been booing here for four hundred years
8) I was saying boo-urns
9) I was saying boo-lets 
10) I really shouldn’t be here
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2019 at 3:10pm
They once booed Neil Lennon because he was their most profile player as well, Terri would have you believe.

irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2019 at 3:10pm

@Terri

In the Dutch game do you think O'Neill could've been a bit less risk adverse on Saturday night going into the last 20 minutes? Granted he made the point in the post-match that N.I. couldn't get in possession and further up the pitch in the second half, but I thought N.I. seemed to be more concerned with containing the Dutch as opposed to trying to get the goal.  

Now he did make a good point about how difficult it is for League 1 players when they're up against the technically superior Dutch so even taking that into account, could he have went for broke a bit more as they needed a goal towards the end of the game?

It reminds me a small bit of the Wales game in the Euros where N.I. had the measure of them were the better team in the first half imo and should’ve went for the jugular against Wales who had the added pressure of being the favourites and they were very flat in that game. It was definitely a missed opportunity for N.I. I thought.

N.I. were very attack minded in the Nations League and would probably have gotten 4/5 points if they had a decent striker but it looked like O’Neill went back to a more cautiously defensive style when they needed the goal the other night against the Dutch. He still seems to have that conservative streak in him. Again not having a pop and it’s understandable given the limited pool he has to choose from.

Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2019 at 3:10pm
Originally posted by Devrozex Devrozex wrote:

Home fans in booing the oppositions star player shocker.

This happens all the time, Ronaldo is booed every where he goes, the same for Sterling, Zlatan, Neymar etc.

So they booed him because he is their best player or because he used to play for Celtic?

You appear to be running rings around yourself defending this for some reason...

Not at all.

Maybe there was elements that booed him for being an ex Celtic player, others because he was their star man? 

In truth is it a big deal? Nope.

Ronaldo was roundly booed in Belfast, I highly doubt it was just the Liverpool supporting Northern Irish fans booing.

Devrozex View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Devrozex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2019 at 3:14pm

Not at all.

Maybe there was elements that booed him for being an ex Celtic player, others because he was their star man? 

Ronaldo was roundly booed in Belfast, I highly doubt it was just the Liverpool supporting Northern Irish fans booing.

Obviously it is not a big deal - I don't think anyone was suggesting it was. Just thought it was a bit random how defensive you were getting over it is all.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2019 at 3:17pm
Originally posted by Devrozex Devrozex wrote:

Not at all.

Obviously it is not a big deal - I don't think anyone was suggesting it was. Just thought it was a bit random how defensive you were getting over it is all.

Confused

I made two little points on the subject?

Territorial View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2019 at 4:40pm
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

They once booed Neil Lennon because he was their most profile player as well, Terri would have you believe.

The first time this emerged over Lennon, he was booed by a small but vociferous minority on the Kop - Rangers fans, no doubt, NL having just been made captain.

There is no defending it (certainly by me), though I would add that it was extra noticeable in a tiny crowd.

And what was not reported was that in the next game at WP, NL was cheered roundly every time he touched the ball by the faithful fans who bothered to turn out for a meaningless friendly- the boo boys having made their "point", were nowhere to be seen/heard.

With more of the same for the next few games, which he continued to play for us, before retiring not because of crowd abuse, but because of a (shameful) anonymous telephone threat. I know, because I attended all those games bar one or two.

So no, I would not have you believe otherwise, and I'd thank you not to try to put words in my mouth, misrepresent me, or tie my comments on something which happened two days ago to something else which happened nearly 20 years ago.

For much has changed in the meantime, even if your mindset hasn't.
Gashley Grimes View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gashley Grimes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2019 at 4:50pm
Don't mind those Freestaters Terri - Noel Brotherston would have been 62 today.
King of Ewood and famed for that copper top...any memories of him?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 268269270271272 369>
  Share Topic