You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

We’re not Brasil we’re Tuaisceart Éireann

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 239240241242243 369>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2019 at 11:00pm
Originally posted by bogball88 bogball88 wrote:

Do they still shout no surrender during GSTQ?
A few do, in a Pavlovian "Up the Ra" sort of way.

But thankfully the likes of this wee man manage to rise above it:

Sponsored Links

Territorial View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2019 at 11:03pm
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

LOL Yeah union jacks are that few at Windsor these days that you can actually narrow it down to just scarva and lambeg
I didn't say that.

Anyhow, Gspain* was at our last two games, why don't you ask him what it's like, since you evidently either don't read what I say, or don't believe it.

I mean, I don't suppose you've been at an NI game at Windsor recently.

If at all... Ermm

* - Just in case you missed it, here is what he noted: 
"I was at both games and...     ... I didn't hear any singing at either game that could be considered sectarian. 
Both games were played in a noisy passionate atmosphere (Belarus in particular).  I really enjoyed both."  

Edited by Territorial - 27 Mar 2019 at 11:07pm
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2019 at 11:20pm
That's the Terri I love! An unnecessary picture, a pointless asterisk and a smiley!Clap
DUBLIN DOC View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
The F The F The FAI

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DUBLIN DOC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2019 at 11:50pm
Terrance has a great capacity for blindly missing everything that is wrong with his beloved cesspit
daveyc View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daveyc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2019 at 12:13am
Originally posted by Territorial Territorial wrote:

Originally posted by daveyc daveyc wrote:

It will never be a cross-community team till they ditch the anthem and union jacks and agree on something neutral something along the lines of what barry mcguigan did. 
I (and many other NI fans I know) would be delighted if they replaced GSTQ, but I guess the IFA feel that just now they could do without the sh*tstorm that would inevitably follow. 

As for the UJ, the IFA hasn't flown that for years. Nor is it illegal for fans to carry it and if a few still bring one to games, they are a small and decreasing minority. (The two most prominent are from Lambeg and Scarva, who have been bringing their flags for decades. They'll die some day)

Meanwhile, I imagine that when it comes to your team, the FAI considers itself to be an Association for all Irish people, regardless of background or community etc. 

In which case, may we expect them to drop the Tricolour and Soldiers Song, in order to make it genuinely "neutral" and inclusive of the whole of Ireland?

It represents the Republic of Ireland - your last point may have validity if there was one team representing the island . As long as the symbolism remains the same ie The ulster banner, union jacks and GSTLizzard are played - It doesnt represent a "Cross-community team" and never will.
gspain View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gspain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2019 at 9:49am

Originally posted by gspain gspain wrote:

Originally posted by gspain gspain wrote:

The song is a disgrace as are those singing it. 

I was at both games and have never heard the song before.  I didn't hear any singing at either game that could be considered sectarian. 

Both games were played in a noisy passionate atmosphere (Belarus in particular).  I really enjoyed both.  

The bouncey would be controversial enough

We do the bouncy in Limerick.  Not to mind all the clubs in Italy.  
Do they still shout no surrender during GSTQ?

I've heard it but it is not obvious.  A couple of people behind me in the South Stand last time.  They may have been the same responsible for the two empty bottles of buckfast left on the ground.  

I make no attempt to hide my accent nor is there any need to do that.

Last Thursday I had two friends from Limerick and Ennis in my car.  Another Limerickman was there separately and a friend from Longford was also there. We were all sitting in different places.

I've also brought my kids to games there and indeed a friend of my youngest.    
Green Man View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2019 at 10:08am

When the Daily Mail comment section thinks Norn Iron fans are bigoted dinosaurs, then that says it all. Yet these types still cheer a team managed by a Roman Catholic O'Neill and McGinn up front one of the their better players.

I don't think this will ever change unfortunately. This is the typical Rangers and Linfield level stuff, from the types that retweet Jamie Bryson on twitter. This is a protestant loyalist team and they want you to know it. I've no doubt this is a minority of Norn Iron fans but it's a sizeable enough minority. I never believed the cross community team stuff either. Even Ulster Rugby struggles to get Catholics or people from the other 3 counties following team, even though they seem to be put in more effort to try. 

Green Man View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2019 at 10:14am
Originally posted by Newryrep Newryrep wrote:

Originally posted by Shoco Shoco wrote:

Was I the only one to hear IRA chants in Gibraltar?

I wouldn't say chants the usual add ons during selected songs unfortunately from the usual suspects

I personally don't see any issue with that, but maybe that makes me a hypocrite. I always sang it that way since I was taught it at school that way. Maybe I am no different to Norn Iron fans. I still think it's not in the same league as this though.

Drumcondra 69er View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2019 at 10:40am
Originally posted by Green Man Green Man wrote:

I wouldn't say chants the usual add ons during selected songs unfortunately from the usual suspects

I personally don't see any issue with that, but maybe that makes me a hypocrite. I always sang it that way since I was taught it at school that way. Maybe I am no different to Norn Iron fans. I still think it's not in the same league as this though.

You were taught to add 'IRA' into The Fields at school??

It's in exactly the same league and is utterly cringeworthy. Had basically died out but has come back in a big way from younger fans who never lived through seeing the provos in action. 
Blog: A False First XI
Twitter: @afalsefirstxi
Facebook: A False First XI
Green Man View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2019 at 10:51am
Originally posted by Drumcondra 69er Drumcondra 69er wrote:

It's in exactly the same league and is utterly cringeworthy. Had basically died out but has come back in a big way from younger fans who never lived through seeing the provos in action. 

Yes I was, and I'm not that old I'm in my 20s, assume others were too depending on where they grew up. It's not really, it's not sectarian more political. You would never see our fans singing we hate Protestants.

I don't think it ever died out but I would agree its more likely youngerish fans who sing it. But then again it's mostly younger fans who sing anything. Funny enough I seen Irish rugby fans singing the IRA Sinn Fein part in a pub not that long ago. Didn't expect to see that but Irish rugby fans are a strange bunch just bandwagoners mostly.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2019 at 11:04am

Yes I was, and I'm not that old I'm in my 20s, assume others were too depending on where they grew up. It's not really, it's not sectarian more political. You would never see our fans singing we hate Protestants.

I don't think it ever died out but I would agree its more likely youngerish fans who sing it. But then again it's mostly younger fans who sing anything. Funny enough I seen Irish rugby fans singing the IRA Sinn Fein part in a pub not that long ago. Didn't expect to see that but Irish rugby fans are a strange bunch just bandwagoners mostly.

Who taught you it? 

That's the thing, no one in their 20s is old enough to remember the atrocities. It's been romanticised. 
Floreat Ultonia View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Floreat Ultonia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2019 at 11:32am
Originally posted by Horsebox Horsebox wrote:

Our NoI friends looking to sweep this under the carpet as some sort of non issue, it's par with the mindset of a vast majority up there

Did you miss the NI fans on this thread agreeing to condemn the incident, or just not understand it? 

Originally posted by DaveyC DaveyC wrote:

It will never be a cross-community team till they ditch the anthem and union jacks and agree on something neutral something along the lines of what barry mcguigan did

It's already welcoming to all sections of the community that want to involve with it. It'll never be preferred by the entire community because the South's team exists/ NI is a divided society etc etc.  So your "something neutral" is irrelevant, as well as unrealistic

Originally posted by GreenMan GreenMan wrote:

When the Daily Mail comment section thinks Norn Iron fans are bigoted dinosaurs, then that says it all

All it says is that a passing media comment agrees with most NI fans about the incident. But if you want to rely on the Daily Heil for news and comment, go ahead

Quote I personally don't see any issue with [IRA chants], but maybe that makes me a hypocrite. I always sang it that way since I was taught it at school that way. Maybe I am no different to Norn Iron fans. I still think it's not in the same league as this though

Wrong. It's in the same league, basically the same thing. You are a hypocrite and if you can't as an adult move on from school childishness you're hardly in a position to preach at others

Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2019 at 12:05pm
Originally posted by Floreat Ultonia Floreat Ultonia wrote:

Originally posted by Horsebox Horsebox wrote:

Our NoI friends looking to sweep this under the carpet as some sort of non issue, it's par with the mindset of a vast majority up there

Did you miss the NI fans on this thread agreeing to condemn the incident, or just not understand it? 

Originally posted by DaveyC DaveyC wrote:

It will never be a cross-community team till they ditch the anthem and union jacks and agree on something neutral something along the lines of what barry mcguigan did

It's already welcoming to all sections of the community that want to involve with it. It'll never be preferred by the entire community because the South's team exists/ NI is a divided society etc etc.  So your "something neutral" is irrelevant, as well as unrealistic

Originally posted by GreenMan GreenMan wrote:

When the Daily Mail comment section thinks Norn Iron fans are bigoted dinosaurs, then that says it all

All it says is that a passing media comment agrees with most NI fans about the incident. But if you want to rely on the Daily Heil for news and comment, go ahead

Quote I personally don't see any issue with [IRA chants], but maybe that makes me a hypocrite. I always sang it that way since I was taught it at school that way. Maybe I am no different to Norn Iron fans. I still think it's not in the same league as this though

Wrong. It's in the same league, basically the same thing. You are a hypocrite and if you can't as an adult move on from school childishness you're hardly in a position to preach at others

Out of interest, FU, would you consider the 'Deco loves the Ra' chants aimed at Rice to be in the same league? Genuine question.

Edited by Drumcondra 69er - 28 Mar 2019 at 12:06pm
Floreat Ultonia View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Floreat Ultonia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2019 at 12:14pm

Out of interest, FU, would you consider the 'Deco loves the Ra' chants aimed at Rice to be in the same league? Genuine question

Yes. Because it's not just about Rice being a gobsh*te, it's treating paramilitarism as a bit of a laugh.
Green Man View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2019 at 12:18pm

Who taught you it? 

That's the thing, no one in their 20s is old enough to remember the atrocities. It's been romanticised. 
One of my primary school teachers.   Maybe but people can educate themselves on it and make their own minds up.  Don't need to rely on RTE News as their only source of information like the old timers.
TonyNotJack View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TonyNotJack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2019 at 12:24pm

Who taught you it? 

One of my primary school teachers.   Maybe but people can educate themselves on it and make their own minds up.  Don't need to rely on RTE News as their only source of information like the old timers.

Should have been sacked.That's absolutely ridiculous.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2019 at 12:28pm
Originally posted by Floreat Ultonia Floreat Ultonia wrote:

Out of interest, FU, would you consider the 'Deco loves the Ra' chants aimed at Rice to be in the same league? Genuine question

Yes. Because it's not just about Rice being a gobsh*te, it's treating paramilitarism as a bit of a laugh.

Fair enough. I'm not a fan of it personally. I don't think it's as bad but I do see your point. Football fans have always made irreverent tongue in cheek chants and I see that one fall into that category. 
gspain View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gspain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2019 at 1:03pm

So is it OK to sing pro UVF songs etc?  Whether "political" or sectarian any pro IRA/UVF songs etc would be far more offensive than we hate Catholics/Protestants.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 239240241242243 369>
  Share Topic