You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

We’re not Brasil we’re Tuaisceart Éireann

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 231232233234235 369>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2018 at 2:40pm
Originally posted by SuperDave84 SuperDave84 wrote:

You're still conflating nationality and residence. I have always acknowledged your point that a non-resident does not have the same rights and responsibilities. I do not accept that what you say follows actually follows, the crux of the matter:

Being non-resident does not make you a different class of citizen.

Being Irish and residing in the 26 counties does not make you "more Irish" than being Irish and non-resident in the 26 counties, which was your point.
The Dublin government treats you differently if you are an Irishman in Derry than one in Donegal.

Which gives the lie to the claim that eg James McClean is "just as much" an Irishman as eg Seamus Coleman.

That is, until Coleman moved to England at the age of 21, he had all the rights and responsibilities Dublin grants or demands as an Irish national.

Whereas McClean has none of them, both before and after his move to England aged 22. 

To date, I have hesitated to use the term "second class citizen", since I appreciate how sensitive that must be.

But let's be honest, the only government which is treating 'Nordies' as second class is not in Stormont or Westminster, but in Dublin. 
Sponsored Links

SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2018 at 2:54pm
A government can treat residents different from non-residents. That is the issue. Nothing more. It does not change anyone's nationality.

To be clear, the Irish government treats Irish citizens resident in the north differently than it does Irish citizens resident in the south. I do not want that to change without the consent of the people in the North, obviously enough. However, the Irish government does not treat those citizens separately on the basis of their citizenship, or how it was attained, but on the basis of their residence. I have no difficulty accepting that and I have no difficulty comprehending that. The distinction is residence, not citizenship. It does not make an Irish non-resident citizen any less Irish than an Irish resident citizen, whether they live in Duncannon, Dungannon, Dunstable or Dundee, Texas.

Edited by SuperDave84 - 23 Nov 2018 at 2:56pm
Territorial View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2018 at 3:12pm

To be clear, the Irish government treats Irish citizens resident in the north differently than it does Irish citizens resident in the south.
That was my point, too.

I do not want that to change without the consent of the people in the North, obviously enough.
Me too, funnily enough.

However, the Irish government does not treat those citizens separately on the basis of their citizenship, or how it was attained, but on the basis of their residence. I have no difficulty accepting that and I have no difficulty comprehending that. The distinction is residence, not citizenship. 
Whether you call it "citizenship" or "residence", the effect is exactly the same i.e. Donegal folk have full rights without having to do anything, whereas Dungannon folk don't.

And this must be a separate principle from eg Donegal folk moving outside the jurisdiction losing their rights, since if they were alternatively from Dungannon, they'd never have had those rights in the first place.

Which is only my point, whether you accept it or not.

Anyhow, I've said my piece, and I still retain my arse intact, without need of anyone to hand it back to me, thank you very much. Wink 
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2018 at 3:33pm
Terri, sorry to butt in, but “residence” and “citizenship” are very different. And that applies in the UK, the US and many more countries.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2018 at 4:49pm
Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

Terri, sorry to butt in, but “residence” and “citizenship” are very different. And that applies in the UK, the US and many more countries.
I know.

The problem is that Super Dave is attempting to use one specific aspect of citizenship (i.e. the effect of a change of residence on citizens' rights) to try to disprove my general point, which is that Dublin accords entirely different rights and duties on Irish citizens at birth. 

In other words, despite all their previous guff about "cherishing all the children of the nation equally" (or whatever it said), they in fact created two classes of Irish citizen, which my examples of Coleman and McClean demonstrate precisely.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2018 at 5:39pm
Originally posted by belfastkev belfastkev wrote:

Someone born in a British Overseas territory is automatically a British citizen at birth but they can't vote in a UK general election unless they move to a constituency that elects people to the House of Commons.
I know. They're a different class of citizen from those born in the UK.

Similarly, people born in the north are Irish citizens by birth but cannot vote in an Irish general election unless they live in a constituency that elects people to Dáil Éireann. Simples.
I know. They're a different class of citizen from those born in ROI.

Simples.
belfastkev View Drop Down
Joe Lapira
Joe Lapira

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote belfastkev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2018 at 10:35pm
Originally posted by Territorial Territorial wrote:

Someone born in a British Overseas territory is automatically a British citizen at birth but they can't vote in a UK general election unless they move to a constituency that elects people to the House of Commons.

Similarly, people born in the north are Irish citizens by birth but cannot vote in an Irish general election unless they live in a constituency that elects people to Dáil Éireann. Simples.

Simples.

You really don't seem to have the mental capacity to understand that there are no different "classes" of citizenship. Citizenship is one discrete thing. Residency is another discrete thing. Eejit.
amccarten313 View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amccarten313 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2018 at 6:53pm
i cant imagine myself ever spending so much time on an NI forum...what a weird way to spend your free time Stern Smile
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2018 at 7:02pm

Simples.

You really don't seem to have the mental capacity to understand that there are no different "classes" of citizenship. Citizenship is one discrete thing. Residency is another discrete thing. Eejit.
Citizenship is granted at birth.
Those granted it from the 26 acquire all sorts of rights, along with corresponding duties.
Those granted it from the 6 acquire virtually none of these.

Now for political reasons, the Dublin government may try to pretend that they're all the one, but in just about every practical application they're not.

It's a bit like a bank offering you an account which includes all sorts of benefits like a credit card, an automatic overdraft and interest on credit balances, but also requires you to pay your wage into the account every month.

They may offer me a straightforward no-frills deposit account, whereby I put any money I have in, and get to use their cash dispensers and a debit card, but will see the account closed should I go overdrawn.

We're both "members" of the same bank, but we're very different customers. 

And you can be very sure which of the two of us the bank favours.   

But heyho, you can go on denying the differences all you like, if it makes you feel better.

Edited by Territorial - 25 Nov 2018 at 7:10pm
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2018 at 7:08pm
Originally posted by amccarten313 amccarten313 wrote:

i cant imagine myself ever spending so much time on an NI forum...what a weird way to spend your free time Stern Smile
This is the NI thread of a football website. I am a fan of the NI football team.

Meanwhile, I only came back onto this site following a long period of absence, because the NI team played the ROI team a week and a half ago. (You must have seen it, it was in all the papers).

Anyhow, depending on time and inclination, I may be off elsewhere soon enough, and you know what?

People on here will probably start asking, "Whatever happened to Territorial?", as seems to have happened the last time.

So make your minds up. LOL
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2018 at 7:21pm
Terry whats your views on Nordie Tayto versus Taig Tayto? 

Also Smiths Monster Munch versus the Taig Mighty Munch?
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
Il Principe View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Il Principe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2018 at 8:30pm

Simples.

Citizenship is granted at birth.
Those granted it from the 26 acquire all sorts of rights, along with corresponding duties.
Those granted it from the 6 acquire virtually none of these.

Now for political reasons, the Dublin government may try to pretend that they're all the one, but in just about every practical application they're not.

It's a bit like a bank offering you an account which includes all sorts of benefits like a credit card, an automatic overdraft and interest on credit balances, but also requires you to pay your wage into the account every month.

They may offer me a straightforward no-frills deposit account, whereby I put any money I have in, and get to use their cash dispensers and a debit card, but will see the account closed should I go overdrawn.

We're both "members" of the same bank, but we're very different customers. 

And you can be very sure which of the two of us the bank favours.   

But heyho, you can go on denying the differences all you like, if it makes you feel better.

this is complete nonsense, i myself was born in galway to tyrone parents.

we moved to antrim 6 months later where i have lived ever since.

i do not have any different citizen rights from anyone born in antrim Wink
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2018 at 12:12am
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

Terry whats your views on Nordie Tayto versus Taig Tayto? 

Also Smiths Monster Munch versus the Taig Mighty Munch?
I won't bite.
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2018 at 2:03pm
http://https://www.sportsjoe.ie/football/ireland-northern-ireland-euro-2020-186616

Best of luck lads LOL

You have better away trips to look forward to than we do which is probably the only plus you could take from that tough draw.  

I think O'Neill would be wiser to revert back to a more defensive approach than what we seen in the Nations League. It's a resurgent Dutch team that still doesn't have too many standout players you'd call world class. Germany are at a low ebb but I'd be stunned if they didn't get back to their usual qualification 'without too much of a fuss' mode. 

I think Germany will top the group and may do N.I. a favour by getting revenge on the Dutch in the two games. N.I. are capable of beating the Dutch at home and holding out for an away draw but I still Holland doing enough to finish ahead of them. 

Edited by irishmufc - 02 Dec 2018 at 2:03pm
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2018 at 2:05pm
Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

http://https://www.sportsjoe.ie/football/ireland-northern-ireland-euro-2020-186616

Best of luck lads LOL

You have better away trips to look forward to than we do which is probably the only plus you could take from that tough draw.  

I think O'Neill would be wiser to revert back to a more defensive approach than what we seen in the Nations League. It's a resurgent Dutch team that still doesn't have too many standout players you'd call world class. Germany are at a low ebb but I'd be stunned if they didn't get back to their usual qualification 'without too much of a fuss' mode. 

I think Germany will top the group and may do N.I. a favour by getting revenge on the Dutch in the two games. N.I. are capable of beating the Dutch at home and holding out for an away draw but I still Holland doing enough to finish ahead of them. 

Confused
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2018 at 2:07pm
Originally posted by Denis Irwin Denis Irwin wrote:

Best of luck lads LOL

Confused

LOL
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2018 at 2:19pm
Originally posted by Denis Irwin Denis Irwin wrote:

Best of luck lads LOL

Confused

I should've worded that better. N.I. are capable of beating them and gettign a result away but I don't see it happening.I expect Holland to take at least 4 points of NI and this finishing ahead of them.

Edited by irishmufc - 02 Dec 2018 at 2:19pm
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2018 at 2:31pm
Unlikely, the Dutch team are going through a strong period with some excellent results. The North of Ireland are on a downward spiral.

Holland just topped their Nations league with France and Germany.

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 231232233234235 369>
  Share Topic