Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

We’re not Brasil we’re Tuaisceart Éireann

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 8485868788 369>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2016 at 12:33pm
Can't see that happening.

NI have a great chance of a play off place, I'd say he will, at least see out the rest of this qualifying group.

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Sponsored Links

Territorial View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2016 at 1:08pm
Originally posted by Double Maxim Double Maxim wrote:

Michael O'Neill getting linked with the Scotland job.
Aye, getting linked by everyone - except Michael himself:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/37977791

My own (cautious) prediction is that he'll stay until the end of the current campaign, whether that be because we've qualified, or we can no longer do so. Then I'd expect him to go for a club job.

But even if I'm wrong and he goes before then, why on earth would he go for the Scotland job?

It's proven a difficult job for a few decent enough managers before now, so why would he risk his present reputation?

And even if he were to crack it with them, it would take not less than four years/two campaigns. At the end of which he would be seen as an international manager, with little on his CV to show he can do it in club management.

And considering he's still only 47, why would he want to become button-holed so young?

It looks like he's waiting for a club job, but only when the time, and the club, are right for him.
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2016 at 1:16pm
I think he would be crazy to leave the Nordies now, he is still a young man in managerial terms and rushed into nothing yet. He has a great chance of a playoff with them, get that and he will have even more lucrative offers, ones that don't come with all the dangers of managing Scotland and their toxic FA.
Cabra Hoop View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2016 at 1:21pm
Will he end up in Greyskull after MW gets the spanish fiddler ?
Or CP if Brendan moves on ?
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2016 at 1:38pm
Originally posted by irelandfan irelandfan wrote:

Despite the fact that the north in fairness have been amazing on the road in this campaign, with a new ground I reckon the fear of Windsor park will be lost and you'd struggle to believe that NI would beat the likes of Spain, England and Russia ever again.
Dunno about beating Spain or England etc, but in our two games to date in the new stadium, we've had consecutive 4-0 wins.

And I know the first was against San Marino(!), and Azerbaijan are no great shakes, but the way we despatched the latter with consummate ease was one of the best home performances I've seen in ages. Crowd was pretty good, too.

Tbh, I'd have been more concerned by the task of replacing David Healy than the old Windsor, but the way Kyle Lafferty has stepped up means he isn't being missed too much - 20 goals in 58 caps, inc. 11 in his last 20.

Onwards and upwards!

P.S. Although the opposition hasn't been up to much, we're now unbeaten in 10 games in Belfast (2 draws and 8 wins) including winning the last six. Would be nice to keep that run going against Croatia this evening, though both teams will be depleted, so who knows?

Edited by Territorial - 15 Nov 2016 at 2:13pm
Healy52003 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Healy52003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2016 at 1:50pm
Imagine a Rep Of Ireland vs Northern Ireland playoff

Its not impossible 

MON is doing a fantastic job for the player pool Northern Ireland has and could of beaten Wales in the Euros (just very unlucky with the OG)
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2016 at 1:53pm
Originally posted by Cabra Hoop Cabra Hoop wrote:

Will he end up in Greyskull after MW gets the spanish fiddler ?
Or CP if Brendan moves on ?
Couldn't see him at Ibrox, not because of the religious bit (he's handled NI beautifully on that score), but because he must know the owners are crooks, who can't/won't put in any money.

As for CP, I actually think he'd make a great manager for them. For one of his greatest strengths is analysing the opposition and picking a team to counter them. So at Celtic, he could leave the SPL to look after itself, while he concentrated on Europe. And he's also very good at handling the media - essential for either of the OF clubs.

That said, England is where the "action" is for any ambitious young manager. For outwith the crowds and the history, there are clubs in the English Championship which are bigger than Celtic or Rangers.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2016 at 2:04pm
Originally posted by Healy52003 Healy52003 wrote:

Imagine a Rep Of Ireland vs Northern Ireland playoff

Its not impossible
Dear God No!

Though if the 1st leg was away, I'd back Michael (The Real) O'Neill every time to get us a draw in Dublin.

And this time there'd be no Alan McLoughlin to save you in Belfast!

Originally posted by Healy52003 Healy52003 wrote:

MON is doing a fantastic job for the player pool Northern Ireland has and could of beaten Wales in the Euros (just very unlucky with the OG)
Funny enough, he indicated before the recent Azerbaijan game that he thinks the team has come on further since Euro2016.

Here's hoping!   
gspain View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gspain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2016 at 2:19pm
I agree that he would be nuts to take the Scotland job and probably won't.  

Northern Ireland are in with a great chance of making the playoffs.  

In some ways a playoff meeting between us would be fantastic but probably best avoided.  Even with a ban on away fans there would be problems.   
zizu Kilbane View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zizu Kilbane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2016 at 8:00pm
Cringe watching the 'home' anthem there. Boyce couldn't have looked and more uncomfortable
"Sometimes, sh*t happens, someone's gotta deal with it, and who ya gonna call?"
OnTheOneRoad View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OnTheOneRoad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2016 at 8:35pm
Wouldn't see Michael O Neill taking Scotland. Doubt they're gonna give him a tremendous pay rise, his work with the nordies will see him get a lucrative offer before long. Besides, Scotland are a mess right now and Nordies are a team moulded in his image playing their skins out for him. Lose lose going over there especially when the north have a shout and Scotland are dead in the water
No thank you Turkish......I'm sweet enough
Peter Stöger View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

I am Wah.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Stöger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2016 at 8:55pm
2 nil down at h/t 
Double Maxim View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2016 at 8:58pm
Originally posted by OnTheOneRoad OnTheOneRoad wrote:

Wouldn't see Michael O Neill taking Scotland. Doubt they're gonna give him a tremendous pay rise, his work with the nordies will see him get a lucrative offer before long. Besides, Scotland are a mess right now and Nordies are a team moulded in his image playing their skins out for him. Lose lose going over there especially when the north have a shout and Scotland are dead in the water
I think because MON is based in Edinburgh certain media outlets put two and two together and got five!
Double Maxim without doubt the greatest drink in the world
zizu Kilbane View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zizu Kilbane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2016 at 9:04pm

I think because MON is based in Edinburgh certain media outlets put two and two together and got five!

Scotland is a step down. They're all ready out of contention in their group. Pub team have a great chance of the play offs
"Sometimes, sh*t happens, someone's gotta deal with it, and who ya gonna call?"
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2016 at 9:12pm
Originally posted by zizu Kilbane zizu Kilbane wrote:

Scotland is a step down. They're all ready out of contention in their group. Pub team have a great chance of the play offs
It would be a step up in salary and the fact he is based there helps. I think his stock can only rise where he is though, there is no doubt he can bide his time and wait for better offers.
BabbsBalls View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BabbsBalls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2016 at 10:08pm
He's a fantastic manager .

As said above , he will have his pick of jobs in the near future.
l hear you are a racist now, father ?
gazurtoids View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gazurtoids Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2016 at 10:15pm
Arse handed to them whenever they come up against anyone anyway half decent....classic flat track bullies
EnnisBhoy View Drop Down
Joe Lapira
Joe Lapira

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EnnisBhoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2016 at 10:56pm
I hate them as much as anyone but even this is nonsense. I don't think they were even trying tonight.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 8485868788 369>
  Share Topic