You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

We’re not Brasil we’re Tuaisceart Éireann

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 910111213 369>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2015 at 2:58pm
Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

My take on the whole Northern Ireland football team. It's nothing personal against the fans, players and the manager.

I wouldn't support any Irishman that wants to play for a supplanted British statelet on this Island. What good has the statelet of Northern Ireland brought apart from the turmoil of the civil war and the later troubles. Thousands of people killed.

The problem with our Irish Unionist chums is they'll always be prepared condemn murderous acts committed by the IRA without trying to address the root causes behind them.

Northern Ireland as a British statelet should be consigned to the history book. Sadly it won't be in our lifetime and we've to live with partition.
Two points.

First of all, you don't have to "support" anyone - there are no Eligibility criteria for fans, just players.

And second, those of your fellow Irishmen whom you scorn (though not "personally", aye, like f**k), are not playing for "a supplanted British statelet etc", they're representing the Irish Football Association.

As for the rest of your post, it is just another anti-Prod, anti-Unionist, anti-Brit rant, which has nothing to do with the NI football team and adds nothing to the debate.

So seeing as this is a football forum, why don't you get back to supporting your British footballing favourites in Manchester....
Sponsored Links

Territorial View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2015 at 3:03pm

Why do you think there was a civil war in this country if not for the creation of Northern Ireland?

I've no problem criticising the IRA or any other paramilitary who intimidate,maim or kill innocent people. Even taking the morality out of it, it's counterproductive and only polarises people on both sides even more which further pushes away the chances of reconciliation and unity.

The cause for Irish unity is completely legitimate and logical. It has to be done through the political process off course.

I unfortunately agree with you over this partitionist mindset down here.
Blah, blah, blah.

Anyhow, what do you reckon for September? Should Michael O'Neill go all out for it in the Faroes, or adopt a degree of caution before the bigger game at home to Hungary a few days later?
dunloybhoy View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dunloybhoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2015 at 3:05pm
knowing northern ireland they will end up making a balls against the Faroes. For some reason they seem to find them hard work. They should beat them going by current form but with Hungary breathing down your necks its a must win game to keep second place for the next game
put em under pressure!
drog addict View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Castleknocker

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drog addict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2015 at 3:09pm
Originally posted by Territorial Territorial wrote:

My take on the whole Northern Ireland football team. It's nothing personal against the fans, players and the manager.

I wouldn't support any Irishman that wants to play for a supplanted British statelet on this Island. What good has the statelet of Northern Ireland brought apart from the turmoil of the civil war and the later troubles. Thousands of people killed.

The problem with our Irish Unionist chums is they'll always be prepared condemn murderous acts committed by the IRA without trying to address the root causes behind them.

Northern Ireland as a British statelet should be consigned to the history book. Sadly it won't be in our lifetime and we've to live with partition.
Two points.

First of all, you don't have to "support" anyone - there are no Eligibility criteria for fans, just players.

And second, those of your fellow Irishmen whom you scorn (though not "personally", aye, like f**k), are not playing for "a supplanted British statelet etc", they're representing the Irish Football Association.

As for the rest of your post, it is just another anti-Prod, anti-Unionist, anti-Brit rant, which has nothing to do with the NI football team and adds nothing to the debate.

So seeing as this is a football forum, why don't you get back to supporting your British footballing favourites in Manchester....

Don't think he mentioned anything anti prod to be honest. Why do most northerners (Wildlings/ white walkers)bring religion into everything yet most have not set foot into church, chapel or synagogue ?

Edited by drog addict - 16 Jun 2015 at 3:28pm
Chips don't bounce
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2015 at 3:12pm
Originally posted by starryplough starryplough wrote:

As the saying goes, your not Brazil your not a country..
Shouldn't someone have a word with UEFA and FIFA then?

http://www.uefa.com/uefaeuro/qualifiers/season=2016/teams/team=63/index.html

And it would probably be worth mentioning England, Scotland and Wales as well.

Oh and this lot too: http://www.quora.com/Which-countries-are-part-of-FIFA-but-not-of-the-United-Nations

P.S. Since by your reckoning Gibraltar is also not a "country" (a bunch of Wannabe Brits on a Spanish Rock?) wouldn't the principled thing be to decline to play them? (I would have mentioned Scotland as well, except that your two recent displays looked more like a boycott to me than a challenge )
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2015 at 3:24pm
Originally posted by dunloybhoy dunloybhoy wrote:

No matter what changes the majority of nationaists will never seen any identity or affinity with northern ireland football. The anthem, flag etc are not ours nor never will be. Years of their fans blasting out the billy boys, sash, the old RUC band at the ground etc have alienated nearly all nationalists from the games.
"No matter what changes".
Are you saying that the majority of your fellow Nationalists are totally impervious to progress, reasoning or conciliation?

I hope not - if nothing else, they may then be doomed to the boring mediocrity which has obtained since Trapattoni and Martin (The Wrong) O'Neill took over down Mexico way.

And I wouldn't wish that upon anyone...

My dad grew up supporting them and went to Belfast to see the team when George Best was playing and it was all about the football. I asked him why he stopped going and he said to me that the support changed and it became a loyalist thing. Catholics were too scared to go near the ground.
Sad and very regrettable.

But I can assure you that that is most definitely NOT the case these days (nor hasn't been for years).

And just because we lost a generation during the bad old days doesn't mean we can't get the next one back in future.

And you can't be watching your kids all the time...

Im happy to support Ireland with my own anthem and flag and let the nordies tear away with their own team. I dont hate them i just dont care about them nor have any interest in what they do. Most people here should just do the same.
Fine.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2015 at 3:33pm

knowing northern ireland they will end up making a balls against the Faroes. For some reason they seem to find them hard work. They should beat them going by current form but with Hungary breathing down your necks its a must win game to keep second place for the next game
Agree the Faroes traditionally cause us trouble and after their victory in Greece, they're really up for our game (tickets sold out in hours!).

But I think our past problems were psychological, and Michael (The Real) O'Neill seems to have instilled great confidence in our lot.

Besides, on the same day we play Faroes, Hungary are at home to Romania, which could derail one of them (defeat), or slow both of them (draw).

And even if Hungary were to win, they've then got to come to Windsor four days later...

Not making any predictions, but by half past nine on the evening of September 7th, Hungary might even be out of it entirely.

Here's hoping!   
dunloybhoy View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dunloybhoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2015 at 3:38pm

No matter what changes the majority of nationaists will never seen any identity or affinity with northern ireland football. The anthem, flag etc are not ours nor never will be. Years of their fans blasting out the billy boys, sash, the old RUC band at the ground etc have alienated nearly all nationalists from the games.
"No matter what changes".
Are you saying that the majority of your fellow Nationalists are totally impervious to progress, reasoning or conciliation?

I think it will take along time for people to see the support as anything other than unionists/loyalists. I have 2 good friends who go to every northern ireland game and one goes to most away games. Neither are rangers fans nor loyalists but both acknowledge that theres a lot of the support who will always remain that way. They both agreed that theres alot to be done before nationalists will ever support the team. It will take a long long time and while people here are obsessed with flags and parades, it will take even longer.

My dad grew up supporting them and went to Belfast to see the team when George Best was playing and it was all about the football. I asked him why he stopped going and he said to me that the support changed and it became a loyalist thing. Catholics were too scared to go near the ground.
Sad and very regrettable.

But I can assure you that that is most definitely NOT the case these days (nor hasn't been for years).

And just because we lost a generation during the bad old days doesn't mean we can't get the next one back in future.

And you can't be watching your kids all the time...  

he was there the night george flicked the ball from Gordon Banks as he tried to kick it out and put it in the net only for the ref to blow it up for a foul. Well, he blew it up cause no one had ever done that before! LOL

put em under pressure!
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2015 at 3:39pm
Originally posted by drog addict drog addict wrote:

Don't think he mentioned anything anti prod to be honest.
Fair enough, I'll withdraw that. (Besides, the rest of his post contained enough "anti-themmuns" bile to make his position quite clear).

Originally posted by drog addict drog addict wrote:

Why do most northerners (Wildlings/ white walkers)bring religion into everything yet most have not set foot into church, chapel or synagogue ?
Dunno.

It's possibly the same reason why eg the FAI have yet to approach a single Northern Prod to play for them.

(Though it could just be that none has ever been good enough... )
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2015 at 3:56pm

I think it will take along time for people to see the support as anything other than unionists/loyalists. I have 2 good friends who go to every northern ireland game and one goes to most away games. Neither are rangers fans nor loyalists but both acknowledge that theres a lot of the support who will always remain that way. They both agreed that theres alot to be done before nationalists will ever support the team. It will take a long long time and while people here are obsessed with flags and parades, it will take even longer.
I think the key word in that is "see". That is, if/when Nationalists do come to NI games and see for themselves, they readily recognise that the reasonable majority have taken the game back from the bigoted minority.

Which is not to say that the minority have completely gone away. Then again, every team attracts an unwelcome bunch of scumbags; what actually counts is whether they can spoil it for everyone else.

And I know from going to NI games home and away with fans from a Catholic/Nationalist background, that they no longer do so.

he was there the night george flicked the ball from Gordon Banks as he tried to kick it out and put it in the net only for the ref to blow it up for a foul. Well, he blew it up cause no one had ever done that before! LOL

And when we produce "The Next George Best" [(c) NI fans since 1977], I'm sure you'll all be back in your droves (though that bloody referee will be nowhere to be seen!)
Floreat Ultonia View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Floreat Ultonia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2015 at 4:09pm

I think the key word in that is "see". That is, if/when Nationalists do come to NI games and see for themselves, they readily recognise that the reasonable majority have taken the game back from the bigoted minority

First, thanks to Territorial for answering various points above. Pint for ye at our fave WC2 venue in September, Mr T?

Northern Nationalist football fans don't even need to trek to Windsor, of course, welcome though they'd be: evidence is readily available on TV, youtube etc.

Some people, sadly, won't see (ie acknowledge) anything contradicting their Worldview. So we'll still get the 'most fans are Loyalists'/ 'unsafe to visit the Windsor area'/ 'constant sectarian singing' stuff.
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2015 at 4:25pm
Is there not pictures of your fluffy fans singing ten German bombers and the like? Do you still not have GSTQ as your anthem?
irelandfan View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irelandfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2015 at 4:28pm
To many politics for my liken in this thread they'll be going to France next summer regardless of whether we'll be there or not, I doubt they'll care what a few posters here think. 
I'm the gaffer whatever I say goes.
Floreat Ultonia View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Floreat Ultonia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2015 at 4:33pm
While we're doing rhetorical questions, are you (PM) fascinated by hurting defenceless animals?

PS thanks for the good wishes IF, not taking for granted yet...

Edited by Floreat Ultonia - 16 Jun 2015 at 4:34pm
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2015 at 4:35pm
Great reply
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2015 at 5:14pm

Two points.

What?!

First of all the name of the team is Northern Ireland, a British statelet in Ireland.This is a matter of fact not opinion. They are representing Northern Ireland.

I've never really had any negative experiences if any anytime I've been in Northern Ireland. I reserve my scorn for people like Tom Elliot, Jim Allistersauros, Gregory Campbell etc etc.

I'm in no way anglophobic or anti British. My favourite music, club team,comedies,writers etc etc are mostly British. I'm anti British colonialism whether it's in this country or abroad.

Being anti Unionist is a pitiful disagreement, it's not personal or sectarian as you are deliberately trying to paint me as. I'm neither Catholic or Protestant and I'm no less Irish for it.

It's the usual tunnel vision Unionists like yourself employ in arguments such as this.

Edited by irishmufc - 16 Jun 2015 at 5:15pm
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
Newryrep View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Just can't get enough of lists

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newryrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2015 at 5:15pm

Why do you think there was a civil war in this country if not for the creation of Northern Ireland?

Eh ? there was civil war over the treaty specifically the oath of allegiance and the lack of a republic, the north was an afterthought though to be fair both sides thought it was only a matter of time that the 6 were returned
'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941
JD & Coke View Drop Down
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD & Coke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2015 at 5:24pm
Territorial , would the North fan base consist of even 10% Nationalist ?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 910111213 369>
  Share Topic