FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

We’re not Brasil we’re Tuaisceart Éireann

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 354355356357358 369>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Territorial View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2015 at 2:19pm
Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

The problem is Territorial our situation is unique. You have a huge percentage of people in Northern Ireland that identify with the Republic and consider themselves from Ireland. Obviously we feel the ROI team represents the entire Island.

I don't think there's any other political situation in other parts of the world that can really compare with ours.
"Unique"?

Have you never heard of eg Crimea*, Eastern Ukraine, Transdniestra, Ingushetia or Chechnya (to name just a few disputed "Russian" territories)?

The Uighurs? Burmese Rohinghi? Muslim Philippino separatists? Kashmiris? Syrian Kurds, Turkish Kurds, Iraqi Kurds? Tibetans? Basques?

Or half the people living in the Balkans?

The fact is, there are hundreds of disputed territories around the world, where whole populations - sometimes a majority - find themselves living in a jurisdiction which they do not want or recognise.

But if they want to play football for an Association other than in whose territory they were born, then they either have to go and live in that territory, or have a parent/grandparent who was born there.

Unlike NI's Nationalists...

* - http://uk.reuters.com/article/2014/12/04/soccer-uefa-crimea-idUKL3N0TO4OY20141204

I can understand peoples resentment on some level where players could be seen to take advantage of Northern Ireland's underage football facility and knowingly going to declare for the Republic when they turn senior.
I really don't want to get involved in a long drawn-out discussion of who did what etc, but I have no doubt whatever that there have been players* who have cynically used the IFA for their own ends, before opting for the ROI when the time suited.

Or do you not believe that professional footballers could stoop to such tactics?

At least in the past, players could not switch after their 21st birthday, or if they had already been capped in a senior friendly, but those restrictions were lifted at the behest essentially of African Associations, who wanted greater access to their diaspora in Europe.

* - We won't mention Jack Grealish

I don't know the ins and outs of some of the standout cases if a player deliberately did that or that they just felt there would be a backlash declaring for the underage Republic squads while still living in N.I. and staying in school.
There have already been a number who have played for ROI at under-age, with no sign whatever of a "backlash".

In fact, considering where many of them live, there'd likely be a greater backlash if they were to play for NI!

For me the players are playing for their country and the ROI team are the representative football team of our country.
As I indicated above, I'm sure if you asked the Kurds, Kosovans, Cossacks and Kashmiris etc, they'd all say something similar.

And be turned down...

Edited by Territorial - 17 Jun 2015 at 2:22pm
Sponsored Links

irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2015 at 1:32pm
The problem is Territorial our situation is unique. You have a huge percentage of people in Northern Ireland that identify with the Republic and consider themselves from Ireland. Obviously we feel the ROI team represents the entire Island.

I don't think there's any other political situation in other parts of the world that can really compare with ours.

I can understand peoples resentment on some level where players could be seen to take advantage of Northern Ireland's underage football facility and knowingly going to declare for the Republic when they turn senior.

I don't know the ins and outs of some of the standout cases if a player deliberately did that or that they just felt there would be a backlash declaring for the underage Republic squads while still living in N.I. and staying in school.

For me the players are playing for their country and the ROI team are the representative football team of our country.
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
Territorial View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2015 at 12:40pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Serious question though.

What are your thoughts on NI born players opting to play for the Republic?
I accept that they're perfectly entitled to under the Rules. And I understand why so many do.

But I have to say it causes NI fans great resentment and has turned very many who would ordinarily be fairly reasonable and easy-going strongly against the FAI/ROI.

And our reasoning is this. The whole point about FIFA is that it recognises and protects National Associations, treating each one equally - eg American Samoa has an equal vote with the USA; National Governments are made to butt out of Associations' internal, footballing matters; and a separation is maintained (as far as possible) between football and politics. Which explains why, eg FIFA has 209 Members, whereas the UN has only 186(?).

With regard to the Irish situation, the FAI is taking advantage of a legitimate, but highly anomalous, application of FIFA's rulebook, as follows (simplified version).

A few years back, Qatar and Cape Verde started dishing out Passports and big salaries to second tier Brazilians (i.e. not quite good enough to get capped by Brazil, but plenty good enough for those countries), so that they could cap them as "Nationals". However, this nationality was liable to be revoked after they retired from playing, or ceased to be picked.

A load of other African and Asian countries complained, so FIFA acted to tighten their Rules. Unfortunately, instead of declaring eg that players shall normally represent the Association in which they were born, they drafted it clumsily (imo) to prescribe Nationality (political), rather than Association (footballing) as the essential criterion. (Basically, Nationality that does not also depend on residence, but has been acquired from birth).

Now in 99% of cases, a player's Nationality coincides exactly with the player's Association i.e. born in France = French nationality = represent the French Football Federation. So that if you want to represent another Association instead, you have either to have resided within the territory of that Association for a qualifying period, or have a parent/grandparent who was born within the relevant territory.

Now tying this in to Nationality rather than jurisdiction/territory might still not have been expected to make any practical difference, since very few, if any, countries automatically confer their nationality from birth upon people who have been born outside of their political jurisdiction. (This is essentially because countries guard their own rights in this matter, and as a minimum expect residency or some sort of service to the state before they will hand out a passport).

However, the ROI routinely confers citizenship on people born in NI i.e. outside their jurisdiction. Further, this citizenship does not either grant the benefits (eg voting rights, social security, pension etc), nor demand the obligations (eg taxation, national service etc) which routinely apply to Irish citizens born within the ROI. In that sense, it is more of a gesture/declaration of intent, than an equal gift. And further, it is essentially political in nature, having nothing to do with football.

The problem is, however, that by the FAI exploiting FIFA's Rules, plus the Irish State's anomalous citizenship procedures, we now have a situation whereby the IFA is the only one of the entire 209 Member Associations of FIFA where all its players are automatically entitled to play for another Association, without any further qualification such as residence or ancestry. (So much for FIFA treating all its members "equally" - would this have been allowed to continue had the Association been eg Germany, Argentina or Russia?)

In fact this situation was expressly noted as "unfair" by the CAS when they ruled on the Kearns case, though as a Court of Appeal (effectively), CAS were not able to determine on the merits of the IFA's case, merely on whether FIFA were applying their own Rules and procedures correctly, which they were.

And this unfairness is made more galling, since having the right to do something, and actively prosecuting that right are two different things. That is, it seems that the FAI would have been within their rights to select NI players for half a century before the Qatar/C.Verde/Brazil business brought the issue to the fore. But it seems unarguable that there was a "Gentlemens' Agreement" in place between the two Associations to prevent this happening, which the FAI unilaterally broke, in a change of policy which Brian Kerr, no less, described as "seedy, unfair and predatory"

So that is why I personally no longer retain any respect for the ROI (Association/team, not fans), when formerly I would have described myself as a "well-wisher".

P.S. These are just my own thoughts on the matter from a purely footballing point of view - I neither want nor need long, tedious and repetitive replies about the Good Friday Agreement/Easter 1916/securocrat collusion/the illegally occupied six county statelet or 800 years of British oppression et cetera et cetera et bloody cetera.

Edited by Territorial - 17 Jun 2015 at 12:54pm
SByrne24 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SByrne24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2015 at 11:17am
Originally posted by Irish Duke Irish Duke wrote:

In the 2010 WC Final in South Africa the majority of black south africans supported Holland because of a lot of south africans being of Dutch(Boer) descent even though in their recent history there was apartheid. It was magnificent and a credit to a people who wanted to move on together in peace.

Rubbish.
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2015 at 11:11am
Any link to the millions of orange clad black South Africans?
FrankosHereNow View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
I like Klopp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankosHereNow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2015 at 8:26am
Once again, more sh*te. 
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row
Irish Duke View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Irish Duke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2015 at 11:44pm
In the 2010 WC Final in South Africa the majority of black south africans supported Holland because of a lot of south africans being of Dutch(Boer) descent even though in their recent history there was apartheid. It was magnificent and a credit to a people who wanted to move on together in peace.
RogerMilla View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
#TEAMJAVIER #ENGANCHE

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RogerMilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2015 at 11:33pm
Originally posted by JD & Coke JD & Coke wrote:

We could get to the Rugby world cup final and not have our anthem played because of a few prods from the North.

f**k off
The first time the Devil made me do it. The second time I did it on my own.
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Irish Duke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2015 at 11:33pm
Originally posted by JD & Coke JD & Coke wrote:

We could get to the Rugby world cup final and not have our anthem played because of a few prods from the North.

It is a sensible decision. Why can't all supporters get singing Danny Boy?  I would prefer that song as it is not political.  Irelands Call is muck but it unites our players in singing it.  
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
I like Klopp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankosHereNow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2015 at 11:28pm
Wtf has rugby players and our national anthem got to do with anything? I don't give a f**k, I suspect nobody else does either.

As You Were
Three in a row
JD & Coke View Drop Down
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD & Coke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2015 at 11:27pm
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Irish Duke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2015 at 11:25pm
So those Irish rugby players didn't stand for the Soldiers Song.
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
I like Klopp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankosHereNow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2015 at 11:21pm
You talk some amount of utter sh*te.

As You Were
Three in a row
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Irish Duke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2015 at 11:19pm
Many of our finest rugby players had to stand for the Soldiers Song when the North was at war during the 70s and 80s. Personally I would love to see anthems scrapped for games as it is political and politics should have no part in sport.
JD & Coke View Drop Down
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD & Coke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2015 at 11:11pm
Must be hard for michael o neill to stand before games and have to listen to God Save The ****.
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Irish Duke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2015 at 11:10pm
Sadlier is right when he says the the FAI cannot overrule the DDL is a joke. No wonder we can't get young players all over the country encouraged to play soccer. Roy Keane and Stephen Ireland touched on this as well. It is another joke in Irish Football.
Gary McKay View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Yo Adrian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary McKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2015 at 11:03pm

Originally posted by Gary McKay Gary McKay wrote:

Like our illusions/delusions on the greatness of our football history we are the same in our political history. It is also quite remarkable that in our rabid anti-britishness 99% of our revoluntary leaders including Gerry Adams are of british stock. Our two best managers were british as well. We are a contradiction and a hugely ironic people indeed.

True.
Your average RA head doesnt know that Robert Emmett and Wolfe Tone were Protestants.

Sam Maguire too.

I get what you say but being a protestant has nothing to do with a persons nationality or ethnicity. Those men were proud Irishmen living in Ireland.

I know but plenty more - Jim Larkin, James Connolly, (Sir) Roger Casement, Erskine Childers etc were British.

Edited by Gary McKay - 16 Jun 2015 at 11:04pm
"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex
PanteirA View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PanteirA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2015 at 11:02pm

Originally posted by PanteirA PanteirA wrote:

The truth is Dublin broke away when there was an all-Ireland team to for their own and now we have two teams. It was a stupid thing to do in fairness.
It wasn't a stupid thing to do at the time as there was a strong feeling of preferential treatment given to clubs in Ulster.

Don't we have the same problem with the Dublin District Leagues running the youths with other counties not getting a look in?
But football did grow a lot more at the time here as a result but I take your point. The FAI are a great bunch of lads. Football across the Republic could not be in a better state Anyway I wont be paying much attention to NI when they qualify. Don't really bother me.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 354355356357358 369>
  Share Topic