FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

We’re not Brasil we’re Tuaisceart Éireann

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 350351352353354 369>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
eire77 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eire77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2015 at 12:12pm
Singing the famine song is the same as telling ulster scots to go on home...
Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get me...
Sponsored Links

Tony Cousins View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Cousins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2015 at 12:05pm
Originally posted by Irish Duke Irish Duke wrote:

they were disgusted at the chanting of the famine song

I don't know how anyone would be disgusted by that being sung by the nordies. it makes no sense for anyone in ireland to be singing it. Anyone in Ireland singing it should be laughed at for being a dribbling simpleton.

The song has a very specific setting in terms of immigration to Scotland, it is meaningless in Ireland.

Do they actually think hunger made distinction between religion, did the lord drop manna from heaven for starving protestants or something? Whereabouts are the Irish supposed to be going home to?

Edited by Tony Cousins - 19 Jun 2015 at 12:07pm
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2015 at 11:50am
Originally posted by Floreat Ultonia Floreat Ultonia wrote:

Muff, all those terms make sense. Although I personally wouldn't say Northern Irish is a nationality, if others use it to distinguish from other nationalities, what's the problem?

I'm both <span style="line-height: 16.7999992370605px;">100% Irish and </span><span style="line-height: 1.4;">100% British. IIRC this caused you some problems when previously discussed but hey, live and let live baby. </span>

I've a problem with insofar that I disagree with the term being used as something other than Irish.

Tbh in regards to being British, it's a collective term which is secondary to someone from Scotland being Scottish first, someone from Wales being Welsh first. Wouldn't people from England, Wales and Scotland consider themselves one of those first and British second in the way that I'm Irish first and European a distant second?

I just disagree that you're British. We're not going to agree on this. I would see it as you having British allegiances in political term. I would consider you an Irish Unionist but we'll have to agree to disagree on this one.
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2015 at 11:37am

I'm both <span style="line-height: 16.7999992370605px;">100% Irish and </span><span style="line-height: 1.4;">100% British. IIRC this caused you some problems when previously discussed but hey, live and let live baby. </span>

I think a lot of people fail to realise this....

Shared culture and all of that.
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Floreat Ultonia View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Floreat Ultonia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2015 at 11:12am
Muff, all those terms make sense. Although I personally wouldn't say Northern Irish is a nationality, if others use it to distinguish from other nationalities, what's the problem?

I'm both 100% Irish and 100% British. IIRC this caused you some problems when previously discussed but hey, live and let live baby. 
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2015 at 10:41am
@Floreat Ultonia

The term makes as much sense as Western Irish, Eastern Irish. It's not a nationality and you can keep proclaiming it all you want. Bring from the North of Ireland, you're still Irish.
drog addict View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Castleknocker

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drog addict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2015 at 10:38am

<span style="line-height: 1.4;">@Still Hunting Henry:</span>
<p style="margin-bottom: 0cm">

<p style="margin-bottom: 0cm">Gerry Kelly's election leaflet was
clearly sectarian because it asked Belfast North voters to support
Sinn Fein (by implication only) if they were Catholics. Obviously it
failed in the short term and in the longer it totally contradicts
SF's claim to appeal to the whole community in opposing austerity and
so on.

<p style="margin-bottom: 0cm">Nigel Dodds' and Gavin Robinson's
equally sectarian antics don't justify Kelly's, do they?

<p style="margin-bottom: 0cm">“My lot” are the Green Party btw. I
never gave any Unionist party first preference when I lived locally.
Why not try to get away from the assumption that everyone who opposes
Irish unity is a frothing religious maniac or condones
paramilitarism?

<p style="margin-bottom: 0cm">A quick read of this thread shows most
of the exaggerated outrage coming from Nationalists, don't ye think?

<p style="margin-bottom: 0cm">@IrishMUFC:

<p style="margin-bottom: 0cm">Northern Irishness as an identity would
be redundant if people didn't use it. Since anecdotal, large-scale
survey and census evidence suggests hundreds of thousands do, your
point makes little sense.

<p style="margin-bottom: 0cm">@Green Devil:

<p style="margin-bottom: 0cm">Many NI fans (self included) would
prefer a unique anthem to be played before games. Danny Boy would be
fine for me.

<p style="margin-bottom: 0cm">An admittedly smaller number would be
prepared to change our FLEG.

Get it right big mawn!!!!
Chips don't bounce
Floreat Ultonia View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Floreat Ultonia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2015 at 10:32am
@Still Hunting Henry:

Gerry Kelly's election leaflet was clearly sectarian because it asked Belfast North voters to support Sinn Fein (by implication only) if they were Catholics. Obviously it failed in the short term and in the longer it totally contradicts SF's claim to appeal to the whole community in opposing austerity and so on.

Nigel Dodds' and Gavin Robinson's equally sectarian antics don't justify Kelly's, do they?

“My lot” are the Green Party btw. I never gave any Unionist party first preference when I lived locally. Why not try to get away from the assumption that everyone who opposes Irish unity is a frothing religious maniac or condones paramilitarism?

A quick read of this thread shows most of the exaggerated outrage coming from Nationalists, don't ye think?

@IrishMUFC:

Northern Irishness as an identity would be redundant if people didn't use it. Since anecdotal, large-scale survey and census evidence suggests hundreds of thousands do, your point makes little sense.

@Green Devil:

Many NI fans (self included) would prefer a unique anthem to be played before games. Danny Boy would be fine for me.

An admittedly smaller number would be prepared to change our flag.

irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2015 at 7:17am
Originally posted by SByrne24 SByrne24 wrote:

Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

Originally posted by Green Devil Green Devil wrote:

Firstly, using another nations anthem is hardly a way of showing your own identity?

Secondly, given Northern Ireland's past history of bigotry among their support, the management and even in their FA why don't they look to continue the good work that's been done to stamp out sectarianism and move forward in a new light. I.e. new anthem and flag that shows both sides are now united under flag and anthem?

Also Muff, wouldn't it be nice for the Nationalist players and supporters be given a chance to actually sing an anthem where they can truly feel comfortably too. Let's face it GSTQ in the North is a Protestant's anthem and Protestants alone.

But GD there isn't an appetite for any compromise in this. Nationalists in N.I. will generally support the ROI team. Irish Unionists in N.I. will generally support the N.I. football team and probably feel GSTQ is their anthem.
GTSQ is an anthem Unionists identify with. Protestants and Catholics shouldn't come into this argument as you're blurring the lines between religion and nationality. You can have Catholic Unionists and Protestant Republicans.

Irishmuff you'd be surprised how many Unionists support England. 

I wouldn't be and don't care tbh.
Irish Duke View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Irish Duke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2015 at 2:04am
A lot of scottish unionists support england rather than scotland. It would be reasonable to play GSTQ if there was a british team but there is not, I'm sure a lot of england supporters would go with Jerusalem as their anthem as scotland and wales use their own.   The IRFU rightly changed the anthem to include unionists so the IFA should do the same. But not a hope in hell they will as they still see it as "their" team.
SByrne24 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SByrne24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2015 at 1:42am
Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

Firstly, using another nations anthem is hardly a way of showing your own identity?

Secondly, given Northern Ireland's past history of bigotry among their support, the management and even in their FA why don't they look to continue the good work that's been done to stamp out sectarianism and move forward in a new light. I.e. new anthem and flag that shows both sides are now united under flag and anthem?

Also Muff, wouldn't it be nice for the Nationalist players and supporters be given a chance to actually sing an anthem where they can truly feel comfortably too. Let's face it GSTQ in the North is a Protestant's anthem and Protestants alone.

But GD there isn't an appetite for any compromise in this. Nationalists in N.I. will generally support the ROI team. Irish Unionists in N.I. will generally support the N.I. football team and probably feel GSTQ is their anthem.
GTSQ is an anthem Unionists identify with. Protestants and Catholics shouldn't come into this argument as you're blurring the lines between religion and nationality. You can have Catholic Unionists and Protestant Republicans.

Irishmuff you'd be surprised how many Unionists support England. 
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2015 at 1:40am

SByrne24 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SByrne24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2015 at 1:35am

Secondly, given Northern Ireland's past history of bigotry among their support, the management and even in their the FA why don't they look to continue the good work that's been done to stamp out sectarianism and move forward in a new light. I.e. new anthem and flag that shows both sides are now united under flag and anthem?

Green Devil, you're living in La La land. I don't mean that rudely either we'd all like that but they are quite happy with the way things are up there it'll never change because they don't want it to, the thought of a flag not being the usual caused a riot and an enquiry. 

Ah well I'm only brainstorming and throwing stuff out there

Personally, I think it would be great for both sides to have a flag and an anthem that isn't more one side than the other. I'm not looking for Stormont to change the "countries" flag and the anthem of the nation, but the FA could easily do with the IRFU have done and made a rugby flag and a rugby anthem that represents both sides strictly for the sport and nothing else.

You've no hope, there would be an up roar. 'This is Britain' 'Our Queen' the revenue from Nationalists in windsor is around 7-8% so as they see it they're in the majority and thats their fleg and their queen 

Danny boy is the obvious choice for the North, but the arguments that would come from the Linfield fans/ other hard core loyalist fans would be laughable. Linfield fans complained about green and white seats yet their team wear green. LOL

Edited by SByrne24 - 19 Jun 2015 at 1:36am
Green Devil View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Aye Kes, I've pissed me-self again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2015 at 1:27am

Secondly, given Northern Ireland's past history of bigotry among their support, the management and even in their the FA why don't they look to continue the good work that's been done to stamp out sectarianism and move forward in a new light. I.e. new anthem and flag that shows both sides are now united under flag and anthem?

Green Devil, you're living in La La land. I don't mean that rudely either we'd all like that but they are quite happy with the way things are up there it'll never change because they don't want it to, the thought of a flag not being the usual caused a riot and an enquiry. 

Ah well I'm only brainstorming and throwing stuff out there

Personally, I think it would be great for both sides to have a flag and an anthem that isn't more one side than the other. I'm not looking for Stormont to change the "countries" flag and the anthem of the nation, but the FA could easily do with the IRFU have done and made a rugby flag and a rugby anthem that represents both sides strictly for the sport and nothing else.
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan
SByrne24 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SByrne24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2015 at 1:23am

Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2015 at 1:19am

Edited by Green Devil - 19 Jun 2015 at 1:22am
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2015 at 1:02am

Until the Northern Ireland football team gets itself a new flag and a new anthem (priority) how can anyone expect to fully take them seriously?

Taking them seriously in what regard?

Why would the team and its supporters want to come up with some halfway measure?

If you're a supporter of them then you'd probably be quite happy with the anthem or at least tolerate/accept it. They have the N.I. flag and I'm sure they're happy with that.

I don't think there's any need or demand on either side for compromise tbh.

Edited by irishmufc - 19 Jun 2015 at 1:03am
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2015 at 12:10am
Until the Northern Ireland football team gets itself a new flag and a new anthem (priority) how can anyone expect to fully take them seriously?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 350351352353354 369>
  Share Topic