We’re not Brasil we’re Tuaisceart Éireann

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 275276277278279 369>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2016 at 9:07am
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

Looking ahead to the Norway game, I see their manager resigned. I'd have N.I. as favourites to win that game but it could be a dangerous game for them as O'Neill would've seen how they play under their recent manager. I think a draw/loss at home to Norway would be a huge blow in regards to second place beingi n their own hands.

If the Czechs are favourites for second spot then they must only be slight ones seeing as they have to play N.I. away. 7 points from N.I's next 3 games would have them in a seriously good position with a win at home to Norway, draw in Azerbaijan & win in San Marino.  I can't see anything other than 7 points tbh.

ClapClapClap

Great work Muff.
Trying to change topic from the pointless, endless pile of drivel that's been written on this thread over the past week now.

Which I was partly responsible for admittedly LOLWink
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
Sponsored Links

Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2016 at 8:58am

Looking ahead to the Norway game, I see their manager resigned. I'd have N.I. as favourites to win that game but it could be a dangerous game for them as O'Neill would've seen how they play under their recent manager. I think a draw/loss at home to Norway would be a huge blow in regards to second place beingi n their own hands.

If the Czechs are favourites for second spot then they must only be slight ones seeing as they have to play N.I. away. 7 points from N.I's next 3 games would have them in a seriously good position with a win at home to Norway, draw in Azerbaijan & win in San Marino.  I can't see anything other than 7 points tbh.

ClapClapClap

Great work Muff.
Trying to change topic from the pointless, endless pile of drivel that's been written on this thread over the past week now.
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2016 at 8:56am
Looking ahead to the Norway game, I see their manager resigned. I'd have N.I. as favourites to win that game but it could be a dangerous enough game for them as O'Neill would've seen how they play under their recent manager. I think a draw/loss at home to Norway would be a huge blow in regards to second place beingi n their own hands.

Edited by irishmufc - 24 Nov 2016 at 9:00am
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2016 at 8:46am
Originally posted by Territorial Territorial wrote:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/nov/23/welsh-football-association-charged-fifa-spectators-wearing-poppies

Probably won't result in any points deduction for the pub team but it would be hilarious and an early Christmas present if it did.
Maybe you need to sort your own problems out first...
http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/international-soccer/fifa-charge-fai-for-wearing-1916-commemoration-jersey-35188038.html

P.S. There are two international football teams in Ireland, but only one has the word "pub" in it's name...lol

Both 'pub' teams are screwed so LOL

Apparently we got permission of UEFA before the game (not sure if this is 100%) and the fact it was a friendly would probably put us in a stronger position I assume.

gspain View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gspain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2016 at 8:33am
On violence not being possible to be only one way.  Those longer in the tooth travelling fans may recall Istanbul 1991 or Moscow 2002.  In both cases the violence was 100% one way and the travelling fans were in no way to blame.   

Thankfully we've been back in Turkey and Russia since without any issues.  
eire77 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eire77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2016 at 8:13am
I'm sure to people who spend what, 10 or 15% of their lives walking up and down roads in memory of a Dutch man from Renaissance times then singing about a war from the middle of the last century is like talking about last season.
Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get me...
OnTheOneRoad View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OnTheOneRoad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2016 at 1:31am
Friendly vs qualifier though. Probably the worst that would happen to us is that they strike the match off the record. All irrelevant though because nothing will come of this anyway.

Re the James McClean song vs the pub team singing Ten German Bombers - personally, i really strongly dislike the queen. that is not coming from an Irish republican standpoint - i think it's silly to think that she had any meaningful part whatsoever in the troubled history of our island and of course i think she's merely a figurehead - i strongly dislike her for the same reasons that English republicans do, and for the same reason i strongly dislike the king or queen of any other nation (i say strongly dislike rather than hate because to say hate implies that i actively think about it often). I find the idea of monarchy in 2016 - the idea that someone has an exalted and privileged position over you by virtue of the family they were born into that had a title conferred upon them hundreds of years ago - absolutely laughably f**king absurd. I think the McClean song is funny and obviously supporting him in the wake of the high-profile abuse he gets on a yearly basis in the Premier League. The English media has made that into much bigger a deal than it should be and he is booed in the majority of places he goes to including sectarian abuse when he goes back to his former club Sunderland for example. A song supporting one of our own much-criticised and abused football players ought to offend no-one (for the sake of even-handedness, if it was reversed and someone was singing about an abused Northern Irish/English/Scottish player "X hates the Pope" i wouldn't be particularly offended, if people want to insult the Pope be my guest, it's a bit different to saying that someone hates English/Irish people).

Nordies singing Ten German Bombers - personally i don't get it, the same way as i don't get it when England sing it. I find it a bit silly to keep singing about a war 70 years ago and embellishing your own role in it. England sang it in Germany to bemused looks all around. They haven't got a song about winning the world cup in '66 that i've heard (apart from Two World Wars, One World Cup of course) but yet will sing about that every time they get the chance. Bizarre. I don't get offended when the nordies sing Ten German Bombers but i just find it to be a rather odd one, when they sing about a 70 year old battle in a war they had a small contribution in winning, when they play Azerbaijan or the Faroe Islands. But by all means if it makes them feel better no harm in it

Edited by OnTheOneRoad - 24 Nov 2016 at 1:37am
No thank you Turkish......I'm sweet enough
Territorial View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2016 at 11:32pm

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/nov/23/welsh-football-association-charged-fifa-spectators-wearing-poppies

Probably won't result in any points deduction for the pub team but it would be hilarious and an early Christmas present if it did.
Maybe you need to sort your own problems out first...
http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/international-soccer/fifa-charge-fai-for-wearing-1916-commemoration-jersey-35188038.html

P.S. There are two international football teams in Ireland, but only one has the word "pub" in it's name...lol
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2016 at 8:51pm

MC Hammered View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Hammered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2016 at 4:58pm
Originally posted by Mulvanystrasse Mulvanystrasse wrote:

Originally posted by MC Hammered MC Hammered wrote:

Is this thread the most repetitive one on YBIG?

The Rangers thread won that title ages ago, the Northern Ireland one coming a close second.

That thread is actually a bit of a guilty pleasure for me. I imagine Tony in a room by himself manically scanning the net looking for stories confirming that Rangers are about to die or are struggling financially and then laughing himself into a near fit when he finds something, anything, that gives him his fix. Then whilst hyperventilating, he has to try and get composed enough to share it with us. It's his bloody mindedness and dedication to the cause that impresses me most. 
El Puto Amo
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2016 at 4:44pm

But what does concern me gets right on my tits more is that when ROI fans sing the McClean song, the reaction is frequently: "Sure they're only jolly craicsters"

But when NI fans sing TGB, it's: "See, I told you, they're all sectarian bigots..."

If our double standards upset you Territorial, then it can only be a good thing LOL
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2016 at 4:38pm
Originally posted by Peter Stöger Peter Stöger wrote:

I wouldn't consider that James McClean song to be any way sectarian. It's a bit rough around the edges in terms of the language used but certainly nothing sectarian about it. In Vienna it was quite openly sung after the goal with just the na na na and chorus anyway instead of most the lyrics. 
Technically you are correct.

Then again, you don't usually get football songs which debate eg the merits or demerits of transubstantiation versus consubstantiation, the schism between Sunnis and Shiites following the death of the Prophet, or the separation of Christianity into Western and Eastern Orthodoxies in 1054...

But quite simply whether sectarian or political, such a song is identifying its singers with one "tribe" over the other, and in a context which has nothing to do with the normal footballing rivalries. Which is why, if you were to hear someone singing it away from a footballing context, you could be sure that he was from the Catholic/Nationalist tradition, rather than the Protestant/Unionist one.
(The fact that some of the ROI fans don't see it that way, or even don't know the words doesn't change that, btw).

Or to put it another way, (the execrable) Ten German Bombers song could not be said to be truly "sectarian" either, and I know that many NI fans sing it simply because it is an instantly recognisable and rousing tune, in the manner of "When Johnny Comes Marching Home" etc.

But I don't see it as being any less crass - even without the swearwords - than the McClean song, or any more acceptable. Rather, I cringe* whenever I hear it, even when only from a minority, with drink taken etc.

Now don't get me wrong. Whilst disapproving of them both, I don't get too exercised by either - there are more serious things to be worried about.

But what does concern me more is that when ROI fans sing the McClean song, the reaction is frequently: "Sure they're only jolly craicsters"

But when NI fans sing TGB, it's: "See, I told you, they're all sectarian bigots..."

* - As it happens, I was both amazed and delighted that in our two recent encounters with Germany in Paris and Hannover, TGB didn't get a single airing, in the stadia at least. I'm still not quite sure how, but thank goodness for the ubiquity of the "Will Grigg Song"!
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2016 at 4:34pm

For the second time, did you read my response to Coachers? Does that sound like me not accepting his version?! I completely accepted his account that the N.I. fans were trying to fight them off and actually added to his point that some Irish fans reacted to the English in 95 by fighting on the pitch and that in those circumstances it would be better if possible to get away from the trouble rather than react and participate in it.
I am responding to your direct replies to my posts - Coachers can speak for himself. See below

You're not exactly shy in coming on here and mocking/criticising our views or players (McClean) so you can hardly cry uncle when I give a bit of tongue in cheek ('attack mode') or mock your propensity to inundate us with hyperlinks that say how great your pub team fans are. There's nothing sinister or bigoted in that, just harmless sl*gging. If anything I'm getting grief of my lot for being too soft on you and Floreat hence 'toenails deep in territorial' LOL

Anyway par for the course and all that. Thumbs Up
"Tongue in cheek", "attack mode", "harmless sl*gging" - the old "banter" defence is usually a sign that someone knows he's on weak ground, but isn't prepared to admit it. Admit what? I'm not challenging the eye witness account/take on it by Coachers or any of the links you provided. What is it you're still arguing about?!

Floreat Ultonia View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Floreat Ultonia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2016 at 4:28pm

If anything I'm getting grief of my lot for being too soft on you and Floreat hence 'toenails deep in territorial' LOL

Diddums Muff. Your Alliance Party card is in the post.

Don't mind Madge's weird fantasies, he gets like that when giving up the lighter fuel.

Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2016 at 4:08pm

For the second time, did you read my response to Coachers? Does that sound like me not accepting his version?! I completely accepted his account that the N.I. fans were trying to fight them off and actually added to his point that some Irish fans reacted to the English in 95 by fighting on the pitch and that in those circumstances it would be better if possible to get away from the trouble rather than react and participate in it.
I am responding to your direct replies to my posts - Coachers can speak for himself.

You're not exactly shy in coming on here and mocking/criticising our views or players (McClean) so you can hardly cry uncle when I give a bit of tongue in cheek ('attack mode') or mock your propensity to inundate us with hyperlinks that say how great your pub team fans are. There's nothing sinister or bigoted in that, just harmless sl*gging. If anything I'm getting grief of my lot for being too soft on you and Floreat hence 'toenails deep in territorial' LOL

Anyway par for the course and all that. Thumbs Up
"Tongue in cheek", "attack mode", "harmless sl*gging" - the old "banter" defence is usually a sign that someone knows he's on weak ground, but isn't prepared to admit it.

pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2016 at 3:51pm

Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Terry, it is hard to take you seriously when 2009 + 9= 2016 Especially when you unnecessarily highlight it(!). 
Some education system up there.

It was a slip.

But it's telling that that's the best you can come up with in response to a lengthy post.

And that's before FU's comment following...
The rest of it was just the usual whataboutery and heavy petting between yourself and Muff. I am sure you have posted similar about a hundred times by now. I suppose Inertia got a better education at Methody, like Topper did.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2016 at 3:44pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Terry, it is hard to take you seriously when 2009 + 9= 2016 Especially when you unnecessarily highlight it(!). 
Some education system up there.

It was a slip.

But it's telling that that's the best you can come up with in response to a lengthy post.

And that's before FU's comment following...
Mulvanystrasse View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mulvanystrasse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2016 at 3:39pm
Originally posted by MC Hammered MC Hammered wrote:

Is this thread the most repetitive one on YBIG?

The Rangers thread won that title ages ago, the Northern Ireland one coming a close second.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 275276277278279 369>
  Share Topic