Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Decline of the EPL

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 54>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2016 at 6:08pm
Originally posted by stokeirish stokeirish wrote:

Apparently, the EPL is going to have much more money to play with in coming years so I expect them to come back and be there or there about in the CL again soon. Money talks
Not so sure, I think the new  money is why it has declined so much. 
Sponsored Links

Hans Moleman View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Muff: That is a lie and you are a liar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2016 at 11:48pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Originally posted by stokeirish stokeirish wrote:

Apparently, the EPL is going to have much more money to play with in coming years so I expect them to come back and be there or there about in the CL again soon. Money talks
Not so sure, I think the new  money is why it has declined so much. 

The amount of money sides have should be an advantage if used wisely, how much of an advantage over other European sides could be debated though. What I would say though is the bigger clubs have made huge strides in terms of putting quality managers in place. Massive appointments and I could see drastic improvements in European performances over 2/3 years for English sides if most of those appointments are left to do their work for a long period of time. The background setups of some of the clubs could still be questioned at some of them though, as in most don't seem to have Director of football or something similar in place. So there's definitely issues still there holding some clubs back I would say.
Double Maxim View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2016 at 7:22pm
Does Englands poor performances in the Euros add weight to the decline in the EPL arguement or does it just reinforce that the non English players in the EPL are the oustanding players in that league?
Double Maxim without doubt the greatest drink in the world
Barna Bee View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barna Bee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2016 at 8:45am
Decline?

I don't believe a word of it . This league will be awash with cash this year and for many  years after. The best players and managers in the world  will flow into it ....so the league will improve ...the standing of England players in their own league won't however . Their national team ( and ours will )regress even more 
"in di cup for Tottinghang!"
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2016 at 9:15am
England haven't performed at a tournament in years now. It's not a decline, it's just a level low standard for the national team
Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2016 at 10:02am
Originally posted by Shedite Shedite wrote:

England haven't performed at a tournament in years now. It's not a decline, it's just a level low standard for the national team

This Clap 

In the EURO's they have only made the semi finals in 1996 when playing at home.
They haven't won a knock out match since then.

In the World cup they have only won 2 knock out matches since 1990 (Denmark 2002, Ecuador 2006)

They will always qualify for the major tournaments as they are good at beating the weaker teams home and away but will struggle with the big boys. 

SByrne24 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SByrne24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2016 at 10:16am
The Premier League isn't the best league in the world because you throw the most money at it does not make it the best, typical of the English and their media  'We have the Best'.

Look at their performance in Europe compared to Germany or Spain, miles of the pace yet Bayern Munich receive similar TV money to that of Aston Villa. I believe the TV deal has doubled this year which will be an added bonus. 
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2016 at 10:29am
How can anyone claim anything other than La Liga being the best in the world?
Just look back over the last 5/6 years of Champions League and Europa League winners, finalists, semi finalists.
Could hardly see Leicester winning La Liga FFS.

pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2016 at 11:37am
Originally posted by Barna Bee Barna Bee wrote:

Decline?

I don't believe a word of it . This league will be awash with cash this year and for many  years after. The best players and managers in the world  will flow into it ....so the league will improve ...the standing of England players in their own league won't however . Their national team ( and ours will )regress even more 

I think that the reason it is declining is that it is awash with cash, funnily enough. Players are being vastly overpaid and many can simply revel in semi-retirement once they make it there. So many games are 3/4 paced compared to what the league was a few years back, the intensity has dropped and I think that will continue as long as clubs pay the same price for steak and sausages.
SByrne24 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SByrne24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2016 at 11:39am
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

How can anyone claim anything other than La Liga being the best in the world?
Just look back over the last 5/6 years of Champions League and Europa League winners, finalists, semi finalists.
Could hardly see Leicester winning La Liga FFS.

Or Bundesliga or Serie A.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2016 at 11:40am
I wouldn't disagree with what you're saying there PM, but do you not think the intensity in football in general has dropped worldwide and on all levels?
Too many managers and teams seem preoccupied with things like how many passes the holding midfielder makes in games. How many high intensity matches have you watched in this Euros for example?

Guardiola's Barcelona seemed to change football

Edited by Roberto Baggio - 29 Jun 2016 at 11:41am
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2016 at 11:47am
You are right to an extant, football has become laden with stats and figures and the need to hit unnecessary targets, but the EPL was supposedly better in genuine intensity. Matches were supposedly played at 90 miles an hour with players getting stuck in and all the other clichés that had a ring of truth to them. A lot of games now look like they are deliberately slow paced and players are just going through the motions to get to the end of it and get paid.
SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2016 at 1:09pm
Originally posted by Zinedine Kilbane 110 Zinedine Kilbane 110 wrote:

This Clap 

In the EURO's they have only made the semi finals in 1996 when playing at home.
They haven't won a knock out match since then.

In the World cup they have only won 2 knock out matches since 1990 (Denmark 2002, Ecuador 2006)

They will always qualify for the major tournaments as they are good at beating the weaker teams home and away but will struggle with the big boys. 

And that one they won was on penalties.

England have never won a knockout European Championship match aside from once by penalty shootout. Now there's a stat.
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2016 at 1:19pm
Does it bother people that the EPL isn't the best league in the world anymore?

I think 99% of this forum agree that La Liga or Bundesliga has better players and teams, does that mena people are likely to watch more of that this season than the EPL?

I completly agree that Madrid/Barca/Munich are better teams, I have the channels to watch them, but I'm far more likely to watch 2/3 EPL games a week than one of those leagues
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2016 at 2:04pm
Does it really matter that much?
La Liga has been the best for the past 5-6 years at least, but Spain have still flopped at the last two tournaments.
Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2016 at 4:20pm

I think 99% of this forum agree that La Liga or Bundesliga has better players and teams, does that mena people are likely to watch more of that this season than the EPL?

I completly agree that Madrid/Barca/Munich are better teams, I have the channels to watch them, but I'm far more likely to watch 2/3 EPL games a week than one of those leagues

I have tried to watch more of La Liga (just to appreciate Ronaldo and Messi, the best of our generation) but all the rolling around on the floor does my head in.

The EPL are great at branding and promoting their product... La Liga should learn from them.

I used to watch loads of EPL games, now I'm more into the champ league.

SByrne24 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SByrne24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2016 at 4:35pm

Most wouldn't recognise the EPL isn't the best in Europe. I obviously have a vested interest in the Bundesliga i'd much rather watch Schalke v Dortmund then I would LFC v Arsenal. 

The only thing that'll really grab my attention about the EPL this year is Conte, hopefully a future Bayern manager.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2016 at 4:38pm
Originally posted by SByrne24 SByrne24 wrote:

Most wouldn't recognise the EPL isn't the best in Europe. I obviously have a vested interest in the Bundesliga i'd much rather watch Schalke v Dortmund then I would LFC v Arsenal. 

The only thing that'll really grab my attention about the EPL this year is Conte, hopefully a future Bayern manager.

Are you not a Man Utd fan? You no interest in seeing how Mourinho goes?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 54>
  Share Topic