You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Decline of the EPL

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4748495051 54>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2022 at 4:37pm
Originally posted by BrendanD88 BrendanD88 wrote:

La Liga certainly won’t be won in February this season for Madrid!.
I said "all but won" - it's already just a race between 1st or 2nd.

Barca will push them all the way to the end of the season.
That's if they haven't gone bust before then! Wink

But yeah, you can't discount Barca, which effectively means Real have really only one more huge game in La Liga to come (Classico at Camp Nou).

On which point if Barca were to lose to Man U in the EL, they wouldn't have the distraction of Europe, which would help. Whereas if they did go on a run, the build up of games wouldn't help them in La Liga.

And while Xavi is doing a fine job in the circumstances, I suspoect Ancelloti's mastery in managing this sort of challenge will be the deciding factor.

All of which means La Liga has already come down to a bare handful of games, unlike the EPL, where so many more of the games are competitive.

Sponsored Links

BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2022 at 4:51pm
La Liga have two teams competing for the league title this season, the EPL has one (Man City).
Territorial View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2022 at 4:59pm

La Liga have two teams competing for the league title this season, the EPL has one (Man City).
Even if you discount Arsenal (and I'd love to, but can't), that is discounting the quality and competitiveness of the other teams, for M.City to accumulate however many points they'll gain.

I mean, reqiuiring a 95th minute penalty to beat Fulham at home? While Leicester and Brighton were no pushovers before that.

Meaning that imo, the grinding, consistent excellence needed to win the EPL is of a different magnitude to that needed to win La Liga.

Or do you disagree?

Edited by Territorial - 07 Nov 2022 at 5:00pm
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2022 at 5:10pm
Originally posted by Territorial Territorial wrote:

Even if you discount Arsenal (and I'd love to, but can't), that is discounting the quality and competitiveness of the other teams, for M.City to accumulate however many points they'll gain.

I mean, reqiuiring a 95th minute penalty to beat Fulham at home? While Leicester and Brighton were no pushovers before that.

Meaning that imo, the grinding, consistent excellence needed to win the EPL is of a different magnitude to that needed to win La Liga.

Or do you disagree?

Real Madrid struggled to a home draw to Girona last week.

Man City are 1/4 with the bookmakers to win their league.

Real Madrid are 6/5 with the bookmakers to win theirs.

But yea the Premier League is competitive and La Liga isn’t Embarrassed
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2022 at 5:56pm

Or do you disagree?

In the 18 seasons since Valencia won La Liga in 2004-05, the title has been won by Baca 10 times, RM 6 times and Atletico twice.

While in the same period, the EPL has been won 6 times by Man City, 5 times by Man U, 5 times by Chelsea, once by Leicester and once by Liverpool.

Likewise, La Liga has had two different winners of the CL, with another team Runners Up. Whereas the EPL has had three different winners plus another three separate Runners Up.

Alll of which reflects that the EPL has a Big Six (four of them in the knock-out stages of the CL this season), soon to be a Big Seven (NUFC)?.

By contrast, La Liga has a Big Three, liable soon to be a Big Two unless Atletico somehow pull a rabbit out of a hat.

While if Barca's financial woes get much worse, we could even be talking about a "Big One and a Half". LOL

All of which means that while you argue that La Liga is "more competitive" than the EPL, I doubt many would agree with you.

Even in Spain.
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2022 at 6:03pm
The EPL does not have a big 6, United/Spurs/Chelsea etc are miles behind Man City! My argument was not that La Liga was more competitive, my argument is simply La Liga will actually have a competitive title race right to the end of the season, the EPL won’t have that as City will cruise to the title.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2022 at 6:42pm

The EPL does not have a big 6, United/Spurs/Chelsea etc are miles behind Man City! My argument was not that La Liga was more competitive, my argument is simply La Liga will actually have a competitive title race right to the end of the season, the EPL won’t have that as City will cruise to the title.
If you had 20 equally crap teams in a league, that would be "competitive".

Meaning that its quality which counts, and it seems indisputable that teams 3, 4, 5 and 6 in the EPL are by some way superior in quality to their La Liga counterparts - UEFA's (ahem) coefficient table shows that..

Imo, M.City are the "best" League team in the world right now and have been for 3 or 4 years, even if Real Madrid are a "better" Cup/CL team.

Which as much as anything else is because M.City have more high quality teams pushing them each season than RM., who have many fewer (relatively) hard La Liga games to play.

While as for the others being "miles behind", last season M.City needed 93 points to win the EPL, ahead of Liverpool on 92. Whereas RM won La Liga with 86 points, ahead of Barca on 73 pts.

Edited by Territorial - 07 Nov 2022 at 6:52pm
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2022 at 6:52pm
Sevilla, Atletico Madrid and Villarreal have won actual European trophies in the past 5 years, you’re obsessed with Co-efficient, what matters is actually winning trophies.

La Liga sides have won 7 Europa leagues in the past 10 years. (English sides have won 2).

La Liga sides have won 6 Champions League titles in the past 10 years (English sides have won 3).

Congrats to the Co-efficient champions though, what a trophy.

Double Maxim View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2022 at 6:53pm

Sevilla, Atletico Madrid and Villarreal have won actual European trophies in the past 5 years, you’re obsessed with Co-efficient, what matters is actually winning trophies.

La Liga sides have won 7 Europa leagues in the past 10 years. (English sides have won 2).

La Liga sides have won 6 Champions League titles in the past 10 years (English sides have won 3).

Well said that man. 
Double Maxim without doubt the greatest drink in the world
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2022 at 7:03pm

Sevilla and Villareal, at least, basically giave up on trying to compete in La Liga, to concentrate all their resources on the EL. It will be interesting to see how they, or other Spanish clubs, do in the coming years.

And that trophy is some way behind the CL, quality-wise. On which point, take away the outlier that is Real Madrid, an undoubtedly great side, and only Barca have won it,once, and 8 years ago at that. (The same Barca who crashed out of the CL after the Group stages for the last two seasons, btw).

The tide has turned, and no amount of cherry-picking isolated statistics can change that.

Edited by Territorial - 07 Nov 2022 at 7:04pm
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2022 at 7:23pm
Stopped after reading the first sentence, a man who I assume watches very little Spanish football, forming an opinion that La Liga sides pretty much give up on trying to compete in the league based on absolutely nothing! Good man. 
Sheedy11 View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sheedy11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2022 at 9:33pm
Yeah, the EPL. Who are they when they're at home?

Expect the return of the eighties-style crack Eastern-European style teams very soon.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2022 at 9:41pm

Stopped after reading the first sentence, a man who I assume watches very little Spanish football, forming an opinion that La Liga sides pretty much give up on trying to compete in the league based on absolutely nothing! Good man. 
In the EPL, there are half a dozen teams who reckon that with the right set-up, decent investment and two or three seasons solid progress, they could be in a position to at least challenge for the title.

Whereas in La Liga, everyone has known for years now that if you're not RM, Barca or Atletico, you have NO chance, not this season, or next season, or any season in the foreseeable future. (And even Atletico aren't looking too good just now, btw).

In that sense it's more like Scotland than the EPL. In which context, the cleverer clubs like Sevilla and Vilareal concentrate all their resources towards Europe, since progress in the CL gives them a bag of money, while the EL (and ECL) are a lot lower standard, and so easier to win.

All of which explains why, when RM, Barca and Juve conspired to form their Super League, they invited six English clubs to be founder members, but omly three each from Italy and (ahem) Spain.

They know whcih way the tide is flowing, even if you don't.
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2022 at 9:40am

Or do you disagree?

I definitely can't think of any time the bookies were wrong about the winners of the Premier League. 
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2022 at 10:06am
Originally posted by Shedite Shedite wrote:

Or do you disagree?

I definitely can't think of any time the bookies were wrong about the winners of the Premier League. 

Strange, they’ve got it wrong plenty of times.

I was using the odds as a gauge as how competitive the title race will be for each league, but you already knew that.
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2022 at 9:43pm

The only team competing for the league in England this year haven’t been top all season and are 5 points behind the leaders 
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2022 at 12:05am
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

The only team competing for the league in England this year haven’t been top all season and are 5 points behind the leaders 

Relax yourself City have it wrapped up! Pep making it a little interesting for everyone else.
Ibaraki View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ibaraki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2022 at 8:31am
Klopp keeping pace with city has given it a veneer of competitiveness but city now average almost 100 points a season and are favorites to win a fifth league out of six.

Oil money has ruined the Premier League. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4748495051 54>
  Share Topic