Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Decline of the EPL

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3536373839 54>
Author
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Hail Hail the Celts are here

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shoco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2020 at 6:42pm
Originally posted by Hans Moleman Hans Moleman wrote:

@ shock so if Liverpool were in Serie A this season, they wouldn't be unbeaten or top in a commanding position? Is Serie A or any of the other leagues better than the PL?

Btw, this started from you downplaying Liverpools unbeaten run as they are in a '1 team league. Even the SPL is more competitive which says something'. Absolute nonsense and everyone grasps clearly what you are at. It's the poorest of attempts. 

Like I said, I’m simply pointing out they they have already been beaten by Serie A opposition this season when you said they would be most likely be unbeaten if they played in that league. That is all I said.

I never said anything about them not being top or in a commanding position, so stop trying to put words in my mouth to suit whatever point you are going to try and make.

YOUR 3 IN A ROW LEAGUE CHAMPIONS
Sponsored Links

Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2020 at 6:42pm
Lazio are higher in the league than Napoli and have beaten them twice recently 
Celtic beat Lazio home and away while Liverpool failed to beat Napoli home and away
Hence Celtic are better than Liverpool and the best team in Europe 
Shoco View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shoco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2020 at 6:43pm
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

Celtic beat Lazio home and away while Liverpool failed to beat Napoli home and away

That’s fascinating, but what’s your point?

Hans Moleman View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Muff: That is a lie and you are a liar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2020 at 6:45pm
Originally posted by Shoco Shoco wrote:

@ shock so if Liverpool were in Serie A this season, they wouldn't be unbeaten or top in a commanding position? Is Serie A or any of the other leagues better than the PL?

Btw, this started from you downplaying Liverpools unbeaten run as they are in a '1 team league. Even the SPL is more competitive which says something'. Absolute nonsense and everyone grasps clearly what you are at. It's the poorest of attempts. 

Like I said, I’m simply pointing out they they have already been beaten by Serie A opposition this season when you said they would be most likely be unbeaten if they played in that league. That is all I said.

I never said anything about them not being top or in a commanding position, so stop trying to put words in my mouth to suit whatever point you are going to try and make.

Serie A is currently in general a far far weaker league overall than the PL. If Liverpool were in Serie A this season they would be in a similar position to their PL one. 

You are implying that Liverpool being unbeaten isn't anything of note as it's a 1 team league and even the SPL is more competitive. There is no need for me to put words in your mouth. Those are your words and they are just nonsense. That is easy to grasp.
"I called him an embarrassment to FIFA and to himself," .... He said 'No-one speaks to me like that'.... and I said, "well I do' and that was that."
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2020 at 6:46pm

Correct and right Clap

Edited by Hans Moleman - 20 Jan 2020 at 6:47pm
"I called him an embarrassment to FIFA and to himself," .... He said 'No-one speaks to me like that'.... and I said, "well I do' and that was that."
Shoco View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shoco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2020 at 6:48pm

Serie A is currently in general a far far weaker league overall than the PL. If Liverpool were in Serie A this season they would be in a similar position to their PL one. 

You are implying that Liverpool being unbeaten isn't anything of note as it's a 1 team league and even the SPL is more competitive. There is no need for me to put words in your mouth. Those are your words and they are just nonsense. That is easy to grasp.

Let me make it simple for you, do you think Liverpool would be unbeaten in Serie A this season, despite the fact they have already been beaten by a Serie A side this season?

Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2020 at 6:49pm
Let me make it simple for you, do you think that Liverpools current record of 21 wins and 1 draw out of 22 games in the PL is anything of note?

Edited by Hans Moleman - 20 Jan 2020 at 6:50pm
Shoco View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shoco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2020 at 6:52pm
hahaha so you’re refusing to answer a question put to you because that would mean admitting you are wrong, that’s all I needed to know, cheerio

Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2020 at 6:54pm

hahaha so you’re refusing to answer a question put to you because that would mean admitting you are wrong, that’s all I needed to know, cheerio

See ya later buddy
Territorial View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2020 at 7:07pm

That’s fascinating, but what’s your point?

The point is that football is so random that any side can beat any other side over the course of one, or even two games.

But to draw a valid comparison between two teams, you need a much larger sample than that. Most people consider that over the course of a 38 game season*, the "best" team will win trhe league. I have no doubt that were LFC playing in Serie A this season they would finish miles ahead of Napoli. And whilst it can never be guaranteed or proven they'd win it, there can be little doubt that they'd give Juve the first proper contest for the title in years.

* - I personally am more inclined to believe professional football statisticians who consider you need a sample size of as many as 100 games to draw a definitive conclusion. If you looked at the 100 games to May 2019, I'm sure Man City will have been the "best" in England, but by the end of this season, I'm sure Liverpool will have overtaken them.
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2020 at 7:38pm

Don't forget that Dundalk would beat Celtic too.

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2020 at 11:00pm
Originally posted by Devrozex Devrozex wrote:

That Arsenal side drew 12 games in the PL that season. So far Liverpool have only drawn once!

There's a fair bit to go but at the moment I would say the current Liverpool side are considerably better.

Football moves on so quickly.

The Man U team in 94 won 2 leagues and the double.
But the team in 99 was way better than them. 
The Man U team in 08 was even better. 

The Man City team recently and the Liverpool team now are way ahead of the 08 Man U team. 

You can’t really compare team from different decades.

bundy View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bundy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2020 at 11:14pm
Originally posted by Double Maxim Double Maxim wrote:

How do people feel the current Liverpool team compares to the unbeaten Arsenal one?

I suppose different eras so difficult to compare.

Impossible to compare them, they are the total opposite of each other. Quick run down on how I see the two teams:

2004 Arsenal- that team was exceptional to watch because they looked like they played in 2nd gear for the entire season. They never panicked and they used to stroll around playing possession football and just destroy teams gracefully. For me that was the best team I’ve ever seen playing football with some truly gifted, natural players all over the pitch. Completely underrated team even after going unbeaten. Because they didn’t push on and win a Champions League or another Premier League after that people dismiss them.

2020 Liverpool - play 90 mins at 100 mph every week. Not the most graceful team to watch but they are literally bulldozing through teams. Will possibly go unbeaten and break the points record. Apart from Mané I don’t find any of their players exciting and I wouldn’t call any of them natural or graceful. They’re exciting to watch though because they are just so energetic.

Give me Henry, Vieira, Pires and Bergkamp over any of the current Liverpool players. That 2004 Arsenal team was so good and it’s a shame there’s not more credit given to them. I think the Premier League peaked in those couple of years in terms of competitiveness and they were the best team around to watch back then.
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2020 at 11:29pm
Liverpool are miles better than Arsenal 2004
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
Cabra Hoop View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2020 at 12:00am
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

Liverpool are miles better than Arsenal 2004
I agree but they are about 15 years younger.Overall it's a poor league this season with all the contenders bar Liverpool in  some form of transifion, not that it's Liverpool's fault, they have done whatever they needed to do admirably. Kind of reminds of the year Leicester won it in the sense that all big clubs were going through serious changes. Liverpool will win it a lot easier than Leicester did though. For any one team to be so dominant indicates to me that it's a poor league. Liverpool are a very good team but not a patch on the Hansen, Souness, Dalglish and Rush team of old.
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "
BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2020 at 7:55am

@ shoco so if Liverpool were in Serie A this season, they wouldn't be unbeaten or top in a commanding position? Is Serie A or any of the other leagues better than the PL?

Another bizarre comment.

Ifs, buts or maybes! Who the f**k knows where they would be.
Devrozex View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Devrozex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2020 at 9:32am
Originally posted by bundy bundy wrote:

[

2004 Arsenal- that team was exceptional to watch because they looked like they played in 2nd gear for the entire season. They never panicked and they used to stroll around playing possession football and just destroy teams gracefully. For me that was the best team I’ve ever seen playing football with some truly gifted, natural players all over the pitch. Completely underrated team even after going unbeaten. Because they didn’t push on and win a Champions League or another Premier League after that people dismiss them.

That seems like an incredibly rose-tinted view of that side! If there were as good as you're making them out to be there's no way they would have failed to win nearly a third of the games they played that season. They were also very disappointing in the CL that season too - struggling through a weak group and getting knocked out in the quarters.
Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2020 at 9:41am
My mate who is a season ticket holder at Arsenal reckons the 99 team was better than the 04 team.
That team was very close to doing the double double. 

Arsenal really should have won the league in 02, 03 and 04 which would have made the 04 team look even better.  

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3536373839 54>
  Share Topic