You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Decline of the EPL

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3435363738 54>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2020 at 4:08pm
Originally posted by Double Maxim Double Maxim wrote:

How do people feel the current Liverpool team compares to the unbeaten Arsenal one?

A "mere" 90 points, incl 12 draws and an 11 point margin over the runners-up, would suggest that the Arse were still a notch behind this present LFC. Also 1.95 goals per game scored and 0.68 goals per game conceded - LFC are presently on 2.36 scored and 0.64 conceded.

Originally posted by Double Maxim Double Maxim wrote:

I suppose different eras so difficult to compare.
V.true, though assuming LFC maintain their form to the end of the season, you could say they dominated their rivals to a greater degree this season than AFC did theirs.

Or put it another way, people sometime get misled by the "Invincible" acclaim. For if AFC had lost one of those draws by a goal, but won another by the same margin, they'd actually have gained 91 points. But without the unbeaten tag, I doubt we'd have rated them that much better than eg some of Ferguson's MU title winners.

The fact that they lost in the semi-finals of the FA Cup (to Man U) and the semi's of the League Cup (to Boro), while going out of the CL in the Quarters (to Chelsea) doesn't quite compare imo with eg MU's 'Incredible Treble', even if the PL was very tight that year.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2003%E2%80%9304_Arsenal_F.C._season

Edited by Territorial - 20 Jan 2020 at 4:11pm
Sponsored Links

FrankosHereNow View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
I like Klopp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankosHereNow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2020 at 4:16pm
If VAR was around in 2004, they'd have lost at Portsmouth. Dodgy penalty for a Pires dive IIRC.

Chelsea were better in 04/05 than Arsenal were the year before. The current Liverpool team are better than both.
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row
Devrozex View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Devrozex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2020 at 4:17pm
That Arsenal side drew 12 games in the PL that season. So far Liverpool have only drawn once!

There's a fair bit to go but at the moment I would say the current Liverpool side are considerably better.
OnTheOneRoad View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OnTheOneRoad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2020 at 4:26pm
Originally posted by Territorial Territorial wrote:

Originally posted by OnTheOneRoad OnTheOneRoad wrote:

It has certainly been one of the poorest seasons quality wise in recent memory, the standard of any would-be challengers has been exceptionally low.
If that is correct, then you would expect the "exception" to revert to the mean, in the same way as eg Leicester's title-winning season was unable to be repeated.

In other words, it may be that it's as much LFC's season which has been "exceptional" as the others.

More generally, we'll maybe know better whether you're correct about the overall quality by how PL clubs do in Europe.

So far, they're doing well.

I think both are true - Liverpool are having an exceptional season, and would do so regardless of what the challengers are like - but the traditional challengers with the most money and best squads on paper are doing very poorly. Chelsea, United, Arsenal and Tottenham are exceptionally poor (obviously Chelsea are, relatively, doing reasonably well, but compare them to say their 2016-17 incarnation). Manchester City, through 23 games, have already dropped 7 more points than they did in the whole of last season, so it can be said that they're not the strongest version of themselves either.

Liverpool can only beat what is in front of them though, and its not on them to ensure the rest of the league is up to scratch. 
No thank you Turkish......I'm sweet enough
Shoco View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Hail Hail the Celts are here

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shoco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2020 at 4:44pm
Originally posted by Hans Moleman Hans Moleman wrote:

Originally posted by Shoco Shoco wrote:

one horse race uncompetitive league, even the SPL is more competitive which says something

If Liverpool were in the SPL, La Liga, Serie A, Budesliga or the AUL, they would most likely be unbeaten in their domestic league at this stage. That's where they are now. It's funny that people talk about the strength of the league to downplay a team that are not far off going down as one of the all time great club sides.

Well Napoli beat them at home and drew in Anfield in the champions league games

YOUR 3 IN A ROW LEAGUE CHAMPIONS
cliffrichard View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cliffrichard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2020 at 5:01pm
Laporte back for Man City this week - if he had been there all season, I think it would be a closer league, the amount of f**k ups at the back has been ridiculous. 
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2020 at 5:03pm
So the league is a one horse race this year, but last season it was one of the closest in living memory.
Does that mean it was a brilliant league last season but the standard has declined this?
Hans Moleman View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Muff: That is a lie and you are a liar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2020 at 5:14pm

one horse race uncompetitive league, even the SPL is more competitive which says something

If Liverpool were in the SPL, La Liga, Serie A, Budesliga or the AUL, they would most likely be unbeaten in their domestic league at this stage. That's where they are now. It's funny that people talk about the strength of the league to downplay a team that are not far off going down as one of the all time great club sides.

You are correct. Napoli are a better side than Liverpool. Just like when Ireland became unofficial World champions when beating Czech Republic 15 years ago or so.

"I called him an embarrassment to FIFA and to himself," .... He said 'No-one speaks to me like that'.... and I said, "well I do' and that was that."
OnTheOneRoad View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OnTheOneRoad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2020 at 5:18pm
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

So the league is a one horse race this year, but last season it was one of the closest in living memory.
Does that mean it was a brilliant league last season but the standard has declined this?

No, it was poor last season, with it being commented on that the fact that the top 2 amassed such a massive points haul said a lot about the quality of the rest of the league. This year, the difference is only one team has done that.
No thank you Turkish......I'm sweet enough
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2020 at 5:30pm
And one of those teams went into the CL.
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2020 at 6:01pm

You are correct. Napoli are a better side than Liverpool. Just like when Ireland became unofficial World champions when beating Czech Republic 15 years ago or so.

Bizarre reference.
Territorial View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2020 at 6:07pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

And one of those teams went into the CL.
After a final against one of the other PL "also-rans", who incidentally knocked M.City out in the Quarters.

Meanwhile, two other complete duds from the PL contested the final of the Europa Lge.

It's no wonder the rest of Europe is sh*tting itself for fear that after years of having more money than everyone else, the PL clubs have finally got organised enough to start using it properly:
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2020 at 6:11pm

Well Napoli beat them at home and drew in Anfield in the champions league games...

... whilst still finishing behind LFC in the Group.

It will be interesting to see how the two do in the Rpund of 16.
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2020 at 6:19pm
Originally posted by BrendanD88 BrendanD88 wrote:

Bizarre reference.

Nothing bizarre about it whatsoever. It would be like saying that the United team in 2008 that won a PL and CL double, and who many recognise as one of the better English club sides of all time, well Man City were better than them that season as they beat them in the PL twice. 
"I called him an embarrassment to FIFA and to himself," .... He said 'No-one speaks to me like that'.... and I said, "well I do' and that was that."
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2020 at 6:21pm

Well Napoli beat them at home and drew in Anfield in the champions league games...

Napoli also beat Liverpool 1-0 last season and lost the return game 1-0. So in 2018/19 they were as good a side as Liverpool, besides the fact that Liverpool qualified from that CL group knocking Napoli out and win the CL afterwards. They were as good as each other though, that's proven.
Shoco View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Hail Hail the Celts are here

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shoco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2020 at 6:30pm

Napoli also beat Liverpool 1-0 last season and lost the return game 1-0. So in 2018/19 they were as good a side as Liverpool, besides the fact that Liverpool qualified from that CL group knocking Napoli out and win the CL afterwards. They were as good as each other though, that's proven.

I can only comment on what you said, which was that if Liverpool were in serie a they would most likely be unbeaten, I’m simply pointing out that in their 2 games against serie a opposition this season, that they have been beaten in one and drew in the other.

Of course I don’t expect you to grasp that

YOUR 3 IN A ROW LEAGUE CHAMPIONS
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2020 at 6:36pm

Actually I've just taken a look-see at Serie A. Napoli are currently:
Posn. 11th   Pl. 20 W6 D6 L8   GF 28 GA 28   Pts.24
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/italian-serie-a/table

This after losing 4 of their last 5 Serie A games, leaving them ahead of 3 other teams only on GD, 27 points off Juve at the top and a mere 9 points above the relegation zone.

If Barca hit form in the CL, they could annihilate them.
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2020 at 6:37pm
@ shoco so if Liverpool were in Serie A this season, they wouldn't be unbeaten or top in a commanding position? Is Serie A or any of the other leagues better than the PL?

Btw, this started from you downplaying Liverpools unbeaten run as they are in a '1 team league. Even the SPL is more competitive which says something'. Absolute nonsense and everyone grasps clearly what you are at. It's the poorest of attempts. 

Edited by Hans Moleman - 20 Jan 2020 at 6:39pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3435363738 54>
  Share Topic