Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Decline of the EPL

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3132333435 54>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2019 at 11:15am
Can England really claim any of those clubs? Maybe Spurs!
Sponsored Links

Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2019 at 12:37pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

If Messi and Ronaldo led Barca/Real to the same trophies people would be saluting LaLiga
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2019 at 12:44pm
Originally posted by Shedite Shedite wrote:

If Messi and Ronaldo led Barca/Real to the same trophies people would be saluting LaLiga
And I would disagree with that too, but Real are unquestionably Spanish and Barcelona are the sporting standard bearers of Catalan identity. They are obviously hugely flawed institutions, but they have identity, something that has completely disappeared in the EPL. Of the four finalists, only Spurs have kept a hint of an English identity. I certainly wouldn’t identify any of the others as such. 
sid waddell View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2019 at 12:48pm
Only two La Liga teams have ever won the European Cup

Only six La Liga teams have ever won a European trophy

Four English teams and one Scouse team have won the European Cup

11 English teams and 2 Scouse teams have won European trophies

Territorial View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2019 at 12:58pm

Real are unquestionably Spanish and Barcelona are the sporting standard bearers of Catalan identity. They are obviously hugely flawed institutions, but they have identity, something that has completely disappeared in the EPL. Of the four finalists, only Spurs have kept a hint of an English identity. I certainly wouldn’t identify any of the others as such. 
I'm no Liverpool fan, but think back to Tuesday night. You know, the Kop. At Anfield. Thousands of fans in red singing YNWA. An atmosphere like no other, willing a team to produce a comeback performance like that.

And who were the opponents? Your Catalan/La Liga/'More Than A Club' role models, turned over by a classic display of, yes, English football at its very finest.

Of course the owners may be American, the Manager German and most of the players overseas etc. But you just compare the Coutinho who lit up games a couple of seasons ago in a red shirt, with the Coutinho who stank the place out in red and blue on Tuesday. He himself is/was Brazilian in both situations, but it was English football at an English club which brought out the best of him.

Nothing could more represent the best of Scouse/Merseyside/EPL/'This Is Anfield' tradition and heritage etc, which you so casually dismiss.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2019 at 1:07pm
Franchise more than club and I didn’t think much of the game. I fail to say what Coutinho being sh*t the other night and being good for Liverpool for a time proves. It could be used to prove anything within the parameters. 

Anyway, I don’t casually dismiss it, Liverpool did. I’m not just picking on them either. It isn’t an English league, it is a globalised product that uses thin veneers of tradition to market it, but it is losing those too. Even the atmosphere there was decidedly poor and contrived compared to the past. I don’t think the fans inspired anything. Barcelona didn’t care enough and Liverpool won. A true underdog story.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2019 at 1:09pm
Originally posted by sid waddell sid waddell wrote:

Only two La Liga teams have ever won the European Cup

Only six La Liga teams have ever won a European trophy

Four English teams and one Scouse team have won the European Cup

11 English teams and 2 Scouse teams have won European trophies

Quite.

And that's before you add in beaten finalists, like Leeds and Arsenal in the EC/CL, or Wolves, Fulham and Middlesboro in the UEFA/EL. 

To which latter category will be added Spurs on 1st June - unless we actually become the SIXTH separate English team to become Europe Champions.

No other country comes close to that breadth and depth of participation.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2019 at 1:24pm

Franchise more than club and I didn’t think much of the game. I fail to say what Coutinho being sh*t the other night and being good for Liverpool for a time proves. It could be used to prove anything within the parameters. 

Anyway, I don’t casually dismiss it, Liverpool did. I’m not just picking on them either. It isn’t an English league, it is a globalised product that uses thin veneers of tradition to market it, but it is losing those too. Even the atmosphere there was decidedly poor and contrived compared to the past. I don’t think the fans inspired anything. Barcelona didn’t care enough and Liverpool won. A true underdog story.
Were it a true "franchise" system, then you'd have teams moving games, teams even, to other cities, other countries etc.

Remind me who is behind the move to play domestic League games outside their country?

"Més que un bullsh*t marketing slogan"

And your effort to detract from the atmosphere and effect of Tuesday night is poor, really poor. Transparently so, in fact.

Croftman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Croftman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2019 at 1:26pm

By all reports the atmosphere was supposed to be incredible and that couldn't help but inspire the team you'd think. Barca were outfought and outplayed by a better team on the night, don't think it's anything to do with them not caring enough. Its the semi final of the CL ffs, why are any of them playing football if they didn't care about that

Good post above Terri Thumbs Up
Some people just deserve a slap
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2019 at 1:28pm
All the top leagues are infiltrated with foreign players and managers.
No one was arguing that La Liga isn't a Spanish league when we were all calling it the best the past few years. If Celtic won a Europa League would you take exception to anyone saying that a Scottish team were doing well?
Its a global game.
Maybe that's why there are so many here that support foreign clubs but don't support their national side.

Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2019 at 1:35pm
Originally posted by Croftman Croftman wrote:

By all reports the atmosphere was supposed to be incredible and that couldn't help but inspire the team you'd think. Barca were outfought and outplayed by a better team on the night, don't think it's anything to do with them not caring enough. Its the semi final of the CL ffs, why are any of them playing football if they didn't care about that
I listened to the game on R5 Live, where Shearer was the co-commentator.

For possibly the first time in his life, he dropped his customary "too cool for school/creosote the fence" demeanour and was clearly completely blown away by the atmosphere. 

He said he'd never experienced anything like it at a game before.

I can only conclude that PreMadonna was told to leave a Scouse pub one night but kept mouthing off and some Liverpool football supporter f**ked him out the door, hence his disdain for Anfield and the Red Army as well!
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2019 at 1:36pm
People seem to think I am solely aiming this at the EPL: I can assure you I am not. It is merely the highest example of globalisation in football. The atmosphere at Anfield felt contrived to me. Staged. I’m sure it was great, if you like Andy Lloyd-Webber.

I am well aware of the flaws of both Barcelona and Real Madrid, I merely pointed out that they have kept their identity due to their ownership model. On many other levels they are equally as disgusting.

Baggio; I am not arguing the point you are making at all, I’m not debating the standard of the EPL, I’m questioning the ‘E’ part and have done for some time. It was inevitable the EPL would start dominating in Europe, this may be the start of that. But, in saying that, I don’t believe Celtic winning anything would prove anything at all about Scottish football. I still think the standard in the Eredivisie is poor, overall, despite Ajax’s achievements. 
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2019 at 1:37pm
Originally posted by Territorial Territorial wrote:

For possibly the first time in his life, he dropped his customary "too cool for school/creosote the fence" demeanour and was clearly completely blown away by the atmosphere. 

I can only conclude that PreMadonna was told to leave a Scouse pub one night but kept mouthing off and some Liverpool football supporter f**ked him out the door, hence his disdain for Anfield and the Red Army as well!
As a communist, I have nothing but respect for the Red Army.
Double Maxim View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2019 at 1:38pm

Originally posted by Territorial Territorial wrote:

As a communist, I have nothing but respect for the Red Army.

Big smileBig smileBig smile
Double Maxim without doubt the greatest drink in the world
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2019 at 1:53pm
Sorry, I just saw the small print! I’ll be honest, your style grates which is why I normally don’t read. No offence, I hope mine grates!

It is difficult to tell when watching on television, but the atmosphere left me cold. The same way the disco lights at Celtic Park do, or those clappers and plastic flags. Football is supposed to unleash visceral and primal emotions. I didn’t get that on Tuesday night, but if Alan Shearer said it was good I will hold my hands up. That man knows passion.
It was the same at Spurs with their rendition of one of the most embarrassing songs in football.

Ajax showed us an atmosphere, maybe because of the surprise of the occasion, but it was definitely raw and honest.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2019 at 1:53pm
Anyhow, unless this season is just a blip and English clubs fail to build on it in succeeding years, then I bet the German, Italian and (esp) Spanish leagues are sh*tting themselves right now.

Which will doubtless hasten their plans for a European Super League.

Which would inevitably diminish their own distinctive, respective national identities which some people claim has been lost in England.

(I say "some people", but exclude those who recognise/admit that the best of traditional English footballing qualities and identity contributed in no small measure to the successes of this week.) 
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2019 at 1:58pm

Sorry, I just saw the small print! I’ll be honest, your style grates which is why I normally don’t read. No offence, I hope mine grates!

It is difficult to tell when watching on television, but the atmosphere left me cold. The same way the disco lights at Celtic Park do, or those clappers and plastic flags. Football is supposed to unleash visceral and primal emotions. I didn’t get that on Tuesday night, but if Alan Shearer said it was good I will hold my hands up. That man knows passion.
It was the same at Spurs with their rendition of one of the most embarrassing songs in football.

Ajax showed us an atmosphere, maybe because of the surprise of the occasion, but it was definitely raw and honest.
In short, Anfield lacked genuine emotion, but Amsterdam was "raw and honest".

Yeah, right.

No sense of making the facts fit an agenda, rather than the other way round.

No, none whatever.

That would never do.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2019 at 2:00pm
There cannot be facts in this instance, it is the interpretation of atmosphere.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3132333435 54>
  Share Topic