Forum Home Forum Home : League Of Ireland : Premier and First Division
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Shamrock Rovers Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 363364365366367 374>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Cyavan Cyunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Neil Armstrong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2023 at 9:39pm
Icelandic opposition Shocked
Ulster Champions 2020 our 40th Title. Take that all ye Moanaghan ***ts!
Sponsored Links

John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2023 at 9:41pm
I'm not a Rovers fan, but still, that was a very disappointing reflection of where our domestic league stands in the grand scheme of things. Getting beaten is one thing but they were comprehensively outplayed by an Icelandic team that were technically much better. If Rovers are the best this country has to offer (and they are based on all known evidence), then all the optimism around improvements in the LoI may be sorely misplaced. A very disappointing evening and even more so for Hoops fans I'd imagine!
Idah Dream!
oldbilly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2023 at 9:48pm
Originally posted by Neil Armstrong Neil Armstrong wrote:

Yep. A country where the FA give the local league priority, and where the government put resources into local teams academies, they have a huge number of coaches and great training facilities, and all the stadia are neat , tidy small grounds with excellent facilities.
Oh yeah, and Icelandic people actually support their clubs, unlike the Brit licking w**kers in Ireland.
No Pasaran!
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2023 at 9:52pm
That interview, w2f? If Stephen Bradley genuinely believes that a simple repeat of the 2nd half performance tonight will see Rovers through away from home on an artificial pitch then sorry, but he's deluded!
Idah Dream!
doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2023 at 9:56pm
Originally posted by oldbilly oldbilly wrote:

Yep. A country where the FA give the local league priority, and where the government put resources into local teams academies, they have a huge number of coaches and great training facilities, and all the stadia are neat , tidy small grounds with excellent facilities.
Oh yeah, and Icelandic people actually support their clubs, unlike the Brit licking w**kers in Ireland.

Icelandic teams are generally competitive in Europe. They never get rolled over and have had plenty of decent runs. Still the 2nd leg so its up to Rovers to pull it back. 
I love beer gardens
doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2023 at 9:58pm
Originally posted by John Nice John Nice wrote:

I'm not a Rovers fan, but still, that was a very disappointing reflection of where our domestic league stands in the grand scheme of things. Getting beaten is one thing but they were comprehensively outplayed by an Icelandic team that were technically much better. If Rovers are the best this country has to offer (and they are based on all known evidence), then all the optimism around improvements in the LoI may be sorely misplaced. A very disappointing evening and even more so for Hoops fans I'd imagine!

Its not as bad as all that. Your slightly exaggerating. Rovers have been poorish for a good few league games leading up to this. Hopefully they can still turn ot around. You cant just look at one game in isolation and decide the league is sh1te.
I love beer gardens
FrankosHereNow View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
I like Klopp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankosHereNow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2023 at 10:02pm

Rovers have lots of European experience. They were absolutely sh*te tonight and have been poor in the league for the past month. Coaches, facilities and whatever else are no excuse for that tonight. 
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row
doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2023 at 10:10pm
Originally posted by FrankosHereNow FrankosHereNow wrote:

Rovers have lots of European experience. They were absolutely sh*te tonight and have been poor in the league for the past month. Coaches, facilities and whatever else are no excuse for that tonight. 

Breideblik look a decent side also. Add that in. Rovers gave them too much space in the 1st half. They let it go on too long like that. Bradley should have made a few tweaks i thought.
I love beer gardens
StuttgartKY View Drop Down
Phil Babb
Phil Babb

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StuttgartKY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2023 at 10:19pm
Very disappointing stuff! Maybe a change from Bradley at the end of this season and a freshen up is needed
doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2023 at 10:32pm
They haven't really invested in the team over the last few years. Who have they added. Trevor Clarke. Marcus Poom on loan who i thknk is an excellent player. Johnny Kenny up front on loan. Not enough. Really need a goal consistent goalscorer. 
I love beer gardens
SeaSharp View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeaSharp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2023 at 10:38pm

and yet Iceland is 12 places behind Ireland in the UEFA coefficients
zizu Kilbane View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zizu Kilbane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2023 at 11:37pm
Originally posted by doherty doherty wrote:

They haven't really invested in the team over the last few years. Who have they added. Trevor Clarke. Marcus Poom on loan who i thknk is an excellent player. Johnny Kenny up front on loan. Not enough. Really need a goal consistent goalscorer. 

This is the truth unfortunately. However, the setup, team selection and tactics tonight were all wrong. Bradley deserves the criticism coming his way after that.

Very difficult to win the tie now, bit we're not out of it yet.

"Sometimes, sh*t happens, someone's gotta deal with it, and who ya gonna call?"
doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2023 at 11:48pm
Originally posted by zizu Kilbane zizu Kilbane wrote:

This is the truth unfortunately. However, the setup, team selection and tactics tonight were all wrong. Bradley deserves the criticism coming his way after that.

Very difficult to win the tie now, bit we're not out of it yet.

Ya I agree. That 1st half wasnt good enough. They gave them so much space. Should have made alterations. I thought Lopez was brutal tonight. Burke needs to start the 2nd leg. 
I love beer gardens
Bandwagon View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2023 at 11:59pm

Its an ageing team with a lot of players the wrong side of 30, if they're not willing to invest they need to role the dice with a few of their academy players like Ferizaj, Tetteh, Razi, Orazi, Noonan. They arguably should be getting more of look in anyway, other teams in the league like Pats haven't been afraid to throw players like Curtis, Murphy and Melia in. Curtis is a big reason theyre doing so well at the minute too.
Cabra Hoop View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2023 at 12:04am
Very underwhelming performance again, a continuation of recent poor performances since getting into the comfort zone at the top of the league table. Not a time to panic but Bradley regularly references his belief in trusting the process, and it looks like the process isn't functioning at present and has been worked out by opponents. As previous mentioned Mandriou and Lyons haven't been adequately replaced and its an aging team. Recruitment has been more miss than hit, so some kind of shake up is needed at the end of the season irrespective if the 4 is achieved. In horse racing parlance, its like the current team has gone over the top.
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2023 at 8:34am
Any word on who will be showing the away leg? LOI tv? 

Doesn't look like RTE/Virgin are  anyway. 
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
Maccatacca View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maccatacca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2023 at 9:03am
It was clear that Byrne wasn't fit last night and should have been rested.

I thought the ref had a poor game and allowed BreiĆ°ablik to kick lumps out of Gaffney, who contrary to others, I think was Rover's best player last night.

I still think Rovers can go through, but Bradley needs to pick eleven players who are match fit, they won't be able to carry passengers on a plastic pitch.

On BreiĆ°ablik - they were exactly as you would expect from an Icelandic side.

Technically solid, decent defensively and dangerous from set pieces - it seems that all teams in Iceland, from their underage sides to club level all play a similar style of football that suits their strengths. Number 8 and 10 were impressive for them.
sausy View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
MAYO FOR SAM

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sausy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2023 at 9:44am
Originally posted by John Nice John Nice wrote:

So you're basing the entire current placing of the LOI on one game? So we ignore all last years European results including Rovers beating Ludogorets and Ferencvaros at home and Pats beating CSKA Sofia away?

An Icelandic team that also knocked out Austria Vienna 2 years ago. This was never going to be an easy tie.

The first half was a very tough watch. Pinned in for most of it yet still kept on playing out from the back. Some positives from the 2nd half but still very little created. Kavanagh should have done a lot better from the corner of the box but still would have had to have been a lovely finish on his weak side. Tie not dead yet but massive improvement needed. 
Bimbos Burgers - "Official Sponsor of the Irish Squad"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 363364365366367 374>
  Share Topic