You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

UK Politics Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 492493494495496 531>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2020 at 2:39pm
Originally posted by the_walls the_walls wrote:

Originally posted by Borussia Borussia wrote:

Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/sep/11/tories-arent-incompetent-economy-brexiter

Good read. I particularly liked "Germany exports much more outside the EU than the UK, and, deliciously, its exports to the Canzuk countries (the fantasy potential British superpower of the dimmest Brexiters: Canada, Australia, New Zealand and the UK) are twice UK levels. "

Genuine question PM but why do you live in England? I can't think of anywhere in the developed world I'd have less desire to live in. 
I'm wondering if that has influenced PM's decision to live there???!!!

Confused
Yeah, I assume that was an attempt at humour? Not sure I got it either.

I suppose the short response is that's how I feel about Dublin!

That and Cambridge is a wonderful city and the first place I have lived that feels like home. And my partner is English and probably a big reason why Cambridge feels like home. The lack of Tories here helps too. 

There's a lot of deeper reasons as I have had a bizarre love/hate relationship with England all my life and was quite Anglophobic has a kid, despite being obsessed with English culture, music and football. If we bump into each other again we can go through that over a pint, but that's the basis of it. 
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2020 at 2:42pm

Seriously though, many people don't end up living in the UK bu design necessarily and often it's flaws only become really obvious once you are there.
I think its charms only become obvious too. There's still a negativity that Irish people attach to England, that the whole country is like Milton Keynes and full of absolute ****s, that every pub is a Spoons or similar and every restaurant is a chain that sells chips.

Of course some of it is like that, but, like every place on earth, there are good places and bad.
the_walls View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
6 in a row, alive alive oh..

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_walls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2020 at 2:42pm

Edited by the_walls - 11 Sep 2020 at 2:43pm
the_walls View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_walls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2020 at 2:43pm

Seriously though, many people don't end up living in the UK bu design necessarily and often it's flaws only become really obvious once you are there.

Ah yeah I get that and everyone's circumstances are different and circumstances can change, particularly if you meet someone over there and of course every country has it's flaws. Brexit though has shown the utter contempt a large proportion of the British have for this country and it's something that has always been there just below the surface in my view.  
the_walls View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_walls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2020 at 2:45pm

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/sep/11/tories-arent-incompetent-economy-brexiter

Good read. I particularly liked "Germany exports much more outside the EU than the UK, and, deliciously, its exports to the Canzuk countries (the fantasy potential British superpower of the dimmest Brexiters: Canada, Australia, New Zealand and the UK) are twice UK levels. "

Genuine question PM but why do you live in England? I can't think of anywhere in the developed world I'd have less desire to live in. 
I'm wondering if that has influenced PM's decision to live there???!!!

Confused
Yeah, I assume that was an attempt at humour? Not sure I got it either.

That and Cambridge is a wonderful city and the first place I have lived that feels like home. And my partner is English and probably a big reason why Cambridge feels like home. The lack of Tories here helps too. 

There's a lot of deeper reasons as I have had a bizarre love/hate relationship with England all my life and was quite Anglophobic has a kid, despite being obsessed with English culture, music and football. If we bump into each other again we can go through that over a pint, but that's the basis of it. 

Thumbs Up
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2020 at 2:45pm

Ah yeah I get that and everyone's circumstances are different and circumstances can change, particularly if you meet someone over there and of course every country has it's flaws. Brexit though has shown the utter contempt a large proportion of the British have for this country and it's something that has always been there just below the surface in my view.  
I would disagree that a large proportion have contempt towards Ireland. It is ignorance rather than contempt. There's contempt from right-wing politicians towards Ireland that is being deliberately played up to suit the Brexit agenda, but that's different. 
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2020 at 3:16pm

I think its charms only become obvious too. There's still a negativity that Irish people attach to England, that the whole country is like Milton Keynes and full of absolute ****s, that every pub is a Spoons or similar and every restaurant is a chain that sells chips.

Of course some of it is like that, but, like every place on earth, there are good places and bad.

Can't disagree with any of this.
Flanno7hi View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flanno7hi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2020 at 3:21pm

I moved to England in 2008 in order to get a job and the type of job I wanted didn't really exist at home.
Hated it when I moved here but did it for work.
Our City. Our Community. Our Club
IG @flanno_7hi
Flanno7hi View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flanno7hi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2020 at 3:23pm

Snap. Swap Cambridge for Chester and this is me.
Our City. Our Community. Our Club
IG @flanno_7hi
ErsatzThistle View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ErsatzThistle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2020 at 6:45pm
Sammy "No Surrender" Wilson was making an even bigger **** of himself than usual in parliament today so it seems.

Is this wee loyalist goblin the best the six counties unionists have got ?
the_walls View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_walls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2020 at 6:47pm
Miliband absolutely destroyed Johnson in relation to this upcoming Internal Market Bill. In fairness it's not hard to do if you just follow logic and common sense. Some of the Tories really are vile, vile human beings. If Britain nuked Brussels they would argue with righteous indignation that the EU brought it on themselves and fully deserved it. 

Someone should just nick that mace again, they, ridiculously, legally can't function without it Wacko
Green Cockade View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Cockade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2020 at 7:19pm
Definitely Ed Milliband's finest hour. A world class gutting. Bojo exposed yet again on ignorance of detail and taken apart on every one of the ever fluctuating excuses trotted out as rationale for the unjustifiable. Will be interesting to see how many Tory MPs have the balls to oppose it or back amendments as it progresses through the readings. The Lords certainly won't wear it but will they have the cojones to hold it up for a year, by which time it would be redundant, is another question.
coyne View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2020 at 8:04pm
Personally I'm more bothered about the new COVID legislation which came into affect today which has somehow slipped under the radar, nothing to be heard of in the mainstream media, but journos on Twitter have picked up on.

You're not allowed a larger group of 6..... But if you're fox-hunting which is a well known Tory hobby, you're allowed a group of 30.

1 rule for them 1 for everyone else.
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Cockade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2020 at 8:23pm
Another exception allowed for Royal shooting parties.
the_walls View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_walls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2020 at 9:01pm
Originally posted by Green Cockade Green Cockade wrote:

Definitely Ed Milliband's finest hour. A world class gutting. Bojo exposed yet again on ignorance of detail and taken apart on every one of the ever fluctuating excuses trotted out as rationale for the unjustifiable. Will be interesting to see how many Tory MPs have the balls to oppose it or back amendments as it progresses through the readings. The Lords certainly won't wear it but will they have the cojones to hold it up for a year, by which time it would be redundant, is another question.

Yeah that was top notch. The only problem is reason, logic, common sense and common deceny doesn't seem to permeate the thick skull of your average Brexiteer. The amendment they are talking about isn't worth a sh*te either, saying that that'll have another vote on whether they can break the WA or not if needs be. They still are essentially keeping it in their arse pocket. I hate that I know anything about British parliamentary procedure and who all these pricks are, before the Brexit vote I would have had next to no interest in British politics. 
the_walls View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_walls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2020 at 9:08pm
Originally posted by coyne coyne wrote:

Personally I'm more bothered about the new COVID legislation which came into affect today which has somehow slipped under the radar, nothing to be heard of in the mainstream media, but journos on Twitter have picked up on.

You're not allowed a larger group of 6..... But if you're fox-hunting which is a well known Tory hobby, you're allowed a group of 30.

1 rule for them 1 for everyone else.

That's fine and dandy and I can understand that to a degree with you living there but British COVID legislation doesn't really affect Ireland at all, Brexit and the manner in which it is being conducted, have massive implications for this country. 
the_walls View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_walls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2020 at 9:12pm
Originally posted by ErsatzThistle ErsatzThistle wrote:

Sammy "No Surrender" Wilson was making an even bigger **** of himself than usual in parliament today so it seems.

Is this wee loyalist goblin the best the six counties unionists have got ?

Yeah saw that, he was an absolute joke as usual. The DUP like to portray themselves as these Uber Brits but they don't give a toss about Britain do they. If they really were patriotic British people surely they wouldn't want to see Britain's reputation tarnished and sullied all around the world by breaking international law, no matter how much they hated the Withdrawal Agreement. 
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Cockade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2020 at 9:25pm
Sammy is a mouthy populist for the lumpen proletariat wing of unionism. Coming out with a lot of anti-mask, anti-Covid rules bullsh*t at home as is his equally gross compatriot Ian Paisley jnr, despite their constituencies being particularly badly affected by the virus. Some tensions between these two in particular and the Parliamentary party in general, versus the NI Assembly faction which is headed by current DUP leader Arlene Foster. You will have gathered that this is not a political party that is over-endowed with talent.

Edited by Green Cockade - 14 Sep 2020 at 9:26pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 492493494495496 531>
  Share Topic