Forum Description: Anything else going on
URL: https://forum.ybig.ie/forum_posts.asp?TID=51149
Printed Date: 19 Mar 2024 at 9:55am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: UK Politics Thread
Posted By: Denis Irwin
Subject: UK Politics Thread
Date Posted: 04 Mar 2015 at 11:04pm
Cameron chickening out of a head to head debate with Miliband and says he will only take part in one deabte involving at least 7 party leaders

-------------
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn

Replies:
Posted By: colemanY2K
Date Posted: 05 Mar 2015 at 12:27pm
good man denis I was going to start a thread on this.

It'll be a fascinating contest with the polls showing a hung parliament. Labour siding with the Tories during the Scottish referendum looks like being their death knell in Scotland. It would be an incredible turnaround if having lost the independence referendum in Scotland the SNP end up the ones holding the keys of power in Westminster. Imagine Alex Salmond as deputy Prime Minister. ..It'll freak the English out

The Lord Ashcroft poll released last night makes grim reading for Scottish Labour. http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/2015/03/new-ashcroft-polls-labour-be-wiped-out-scotland-and-lose-gordon-brown-s-seat" rel="nofollow - http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/2015/03/new-ashcroft-polls-labour-be-wiped-out-scotland-and-lose-gordon-brown-s-seat

UKIP as well look like fading but as they were only going to get a few seats I dont get why all the hullaballo surrounding them.

-------------
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.

Posted By: the_walls
Date Posted: 05 Mar 2015 at 12:43pm
The SNP could very well end up in coalition but how could they justify going into government? They are meant to be a party for Scotland and Scotland alone but if they go into government they will have to implement policies that benefit the UK as a whole, not just Scotland. 

Date Posted: 05 Mar 2015 at 12:52pm
Originally posted by the_walls the_walls wrote:

The SNP could very well end up in coalition but how could they justify going into government? They are meant to be a party for Scotland and Scotland alone but if they go into government they will have to implement policies that benefit the UK as a whole, not just Scotland. 

Max Devolution would be certainly a deal breaker for them. Would lead eventually to another referendum in about 10 years or so and will pass IMO.

-------------
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Date Posted: 05 Mar 2015 at 12:58pm
Also hope that odious f**ker Jim Murphy loses his seat in Scotland

-------------

Posted By: the_walls
Date Posted: 05 Mar 2015 at 1:01pm
They could support a minority government in that case. I dont see how they could have any mandate to enter a coalition. The people in the rest of the UK would rightly be worried that their interests will not be looked after and the people in Scotland will expect the SNP to legislate in Scotland's favour, even if it is against the interests of the rest of the UK

Date Posted: 05 Mar 2015 at 1:01pm
I jest about Alex Salmond becoming Deputy Prime Minister. Their stance is they would support Labour on a case by case basis but would not form a government as is currently the case with Conservatives and Lib Dems. They have previously said they would only vote on matters that affect Scotland. I don't know if that stance will change if they do a deal with Labour.

The fact is the current polls are showing the Tories will be unable to form a government. The SNP have ruled out dealing with them and with the lib dems likely to take a battering there won't be enough seats from the other parties *e.g. the DUP) which would allow the Tories to form a government.

By the way Question Time is coming from Glasgow tonight. It promises to be a lively debate.

-------------
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.

Posted By: coyne
Date Posted: 05 Mar 2015 at 1:05pm
Originally posted by colemanY2K colemanY2K wrote:

I jest about Alex Salmond becoming Deputy Prime Minister. Their stance is they would support Labour on a case by case basis but would not form a government as is currently the case with Conservatives and Lib Dems. They have previously said they would only vote on matters that affect Scotland. I don't know if that stance would change if they do a deal with Labour.

The fact is the current polls are showing the Tories will be unable to form a government. The SNP have ruled out dealing with them and with the lib dems likely to take a battering there won't be enough seats from the other parties *e.g. the DUP) which would allow the Tories to form a government.

By the way Question Time is coming from Glasgow tonight. It promises to be a lively debate.

Hasn't Alex Salmond stepped down from SNP following the independence vote loss?

Sometime in January Sky predicted it'll be a Labour/SNP Coalition.. I can see how as the independence voters will have a massive effect, still reckon it'll be a Labour/UKIP coalition.

Posted By: corkery
Date Posted: 05 Mar 2015 at 1:05pm
Either vote for the cut mad Tories or the spend mad Labour. If they just vote in someone that'll balance the books, they'll be fine.

-------------
'The younger generation as in 17 -25 are certainly gayer than their predecessors. I think they may cause the extinction of the human race with their activities.'- Baldrick

Date Posted: 05 Mar 2015 at 1:10pm
Originally posted by coyne coyne wrote:

I jest about Alex Salmond becoming Deputy Prime Minister. Their stance is they would support Labour on a case by case basis but would not form a government as is currently the case with Conservatives and Lib Dems. They have previously said they would only vote on matters that affect Scotland. I don't know if that stance would change if they do a deal with Labour.

Hasn't Alex Salmond stepped down from SNP following the independence vote loss?

Sometime in January Sky predicted it'll be a Labour/SNP Coalition.. I can see how as the independence voters will have a massive effect, still reckon it'll be a Labour/UKIP coalition.
he stepped down as leader of the party but is running in the Gordon constituency as an MP.

If the polls are right it'll be the only option (apart from a labour/tory grand coalition which has happened in the distant past) to form a government.

It's not just independence voters that are voting snp it's also an awful lot former labour voters who are sick in the stomach that their party sided with the hated tories during the referendum.

-------------

Posted By: RogerMilla
Date Posted: 05 Mar 2015 at 8:07pm
lib dems will be hammered id say , they should never have let the tories in 

-------------
The first time the Devil made me do it. The second time I did it on my own.

Date Posted: 05 Mar 2015 at 8:09pm
Originally posted by RogerMilla RogerMilla wrote:

lib dems will be hammered id say , they should never have let the tories in 

Yep especially in Scotland along with Labour. Lib Dems will get a hiding for putting the tories back in and Labour for actively campaigning with the Tories during the referendum and then partying with them as the results were being announced

-------------

Posted By: Bennett
Date Posted: 06 Mar 2015 at 3:36am
Miliband looks and acts like a character created by Harry Enfield at his peak. I also have a suspicion that back in the day Luis Van Gaal porked a Greek kebab shop worker and Miliband is the bastard son. He is a grade A mong. Cameron is just a ****.

-------------

Posted By: d13dave
Date Posted: 06 Mar 2015 at 10:19am
I would rather Cameron over Milliband. Although it is like choosing Hepatitis over Aids.

The only hope Labour have is returning to their roots to ensure they clean up North of the Watford Gap and somehow turning Scotland around. Its a massive ask though but i am sure they have a few things up their sleeve. 

Its all nonsense anyway. Te UK and Ireland have some of the least inspiring politicians known to humanity

Date Posted: 06 Mar 2015 at 10:28am
It'll be the 92 election all over again in the sense that it 's an election that by all rights the Tories should lose but won't because Labour have an unelectable leader

-------------

Posted By: BrenC
Date Posted: 06 Mar 2015 at 11:05am
Conservatives have been good at winning FDI that might otherwise have gone to Ireland so would be nice for us if Labour got back in and brought back in much higher taxes on high earners/companies.

Would also likely be better for about 80% of the British population who aren't private school educated high earners so its a Win-Win

-------------
Team Emmet

Posted By: savo01
Date Posted: 06 Mar 2015 at 11:39am
I would rather Cameron over Milliband. Although it is like choosing Hepatitis over Aids. LOL
Great line but you're wrong I believe.  As bad a Miliband is (how his brother didn't win the leadership race I will never know!) the tories are the greatest scum this planet has seen since the Nazi's!  Stripping away the NHS and selling chunks to their friends to effectively privatise it is bad enough but it is now as clear as the nose on your face it is infested with paedophile's who have covered their tracks and protected themselves for years.  Hague was quickly shifted last year and is "retiring" from politics because he closed an inquiry into abuse in Wales when he was the minister because it was tory MP's doing it.  Google the Elm Guest House and read some of the stuff that went on. 

-------------
Jackie Charlton, Eoin Hand
Johnny Giles. Ireland
Mick McCarthy, Stephen Staunton
Cascarino
Tony Galvin, Niall Quinn
Packie doesn't let em in
North of Ireland
South of Ireland
Only one can go

Date Posted: 06 Mar 2015 at 11:56am
Originally posted by savo01 savo01 wrote:

I would rather Cameron over Milliband. Although it is like choosing Hepatitis over Aids. LOL
Great line but you're wrong I believe.  As bad a Miliband is (how his brother didn't win the leadership race I will never know!) the tories are the greatest scum this planet has seen since the Nazi's!  Stripping away the NHS and selling chunks to their friends to effectively privatise it is bad enough but it is now as clear as the nose on your face it is infested with paedophile's who have covered their tracks and protected themselves for years.  Hague was quickly shifted last year and is "retiring" from politics because he closed an inquiry into abuse in Wales when he was the minister because it was tory MP's doing it.  Google the Elm Guest House and read some of the stuff that went on

Was on Ross Kemp on Gangs last night funnily enough.

As much of a spoofer Miliband is they've picked on the vulnerable and welfare far too much its unforgivable.. The latest proposal was that you can't sign on the dole until you're 21 and you must do unpaid work until then, whereas it would just make logical sense to pay the people doing the work.

Posted By: Flanno7hi
Date Posted: 06 Mar 2015 at 12:34pm
Interesting site

https://voteforpolicies.org.uk/survey/results/xXY19AdhqwrPt3u7u#/personal-results" rel="nofollow - https://voteforpolicies.org.uk/survey/results/xXY19AdhqwrPt3u7u#/personal-results

The coverage so far is sickening the sh*t out of me. you can't go a night without seeing some sh*te about ukip on the tele. they are a tiny disgusting minority party why are they getting so much airtime?

-------------
Our City. Our Community. Our Club
IG @flanno_7hi

Date Posted: 06 Mar 2015 at 12:57pm
VICE article on UKIP party conference shows what nutters they all are.  Every single one of them. But also shows a bit why people in deprived areas see them as an option. 

http://www.vice.com/en_uk/read/the-ukip-conference-was-more-insane-than-we-imagined-189" rel="nofollow - http://www.vice.com/en_uk/read/the-ukip-conference-was-more-insane-than-we-imagined-189

-------------
Team Emmet

Posted By: savo01
Date Posted: 06 Mar 2015 at 1:04pm
UKIP are saying in public what tories and the people who support them say in private! 

-------------
Jackie Charlton, Eoin Hand
Johnny Giles. Ireland
Mick McCarthy, Stephen Staunton
Cascarino
Tony Galvin, Niall Quinn
Packie doesn't let em in
North of Ireland
South of Ireland
Only one can go

Posted By: pre Madonna
Date Posted: 06 Mar 2015 at 1:05pm
Winston McKenzie from that article is Leon's uncle. The family still have a boxing club in Croydon

-------------
Greed has won, big finance has won. Whatever small role elite clubs still play in the local communities from which they grew is dwarfed now by their position as global brands.

Date Posted: 06 Mar 2015 at 1:43pm
I'd think I'd vote for the Prophet Zebediah and the Al-Zebabist Nation of OOOG ahead of Farrage.  Al Murray running against Farrage too as his pub landlord character.

Would remind you of that Black Mirror episode - Vote for WALDO. 

-------------
Team Emmet

Date Posted: 06 Mar 2015 at 2:26pm
Isn't Farage Al Murray? There are lots of similarities

-------------
Greed has won, big finance has won. Whatever small role elite clubs still play in the local communities from which they grew is dwarfed now by their position as global brands.

Posted By: d13dave
Date Posted: 06 Mar 2015 at 2:38pm
i reckon UKIP will win 5 seats absolute tops. Parts of Kent and Essex full of displaced Londoners who rightly or wrongly feel they have been forced out of the areas they were brought up in.  I am all for an open and transparent debate on immigration but how on earth can they be expect to be taken seriously with so many wallys in the party who come out with racist and politically incorrect gibberish any time there is mic in front of them. They are posh spaz's. I am sick of hearing about them every day.

I hate them all. No doubt Labour will romp home in Rotheram despite the local Labour run council being too cowardly to flag up horrific wide scale child abuse by Pakistani gangs for fear of being called racist. We are Northeners we vote Labour regardless. Jesus wept. Labour will try and spend the UK into oblivion and allow large number of unskilled migrants in to heap further pressure on the NHS which they seem to keen to reform. They are miles from the Labour party of old.

The Tories will press on with crippling cuts and 0 hour contracts while allowing the bankers cart blanche to do what they want and turning a blind eye to all of the old toffs who were balls deep in kids for years.

The Greens need to be sectioned. 

The SNP are in a serious bargain position it has to be said. The only party i do not mind in the UK. 

Posted By: SuperDave84
Date Posted: 06 Mar 2015 at 4:33pm
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/men/the-filter/11275067/Who-said-it-Nigel-Farage-or-The-Pub-Landlord.html" rel="nofollow - http://www.telegraph.co.uk/men/the-filter/11275067/Who-said-it-Nigel-Farage-or-The-Pub-Landlord.html

Does what it says on the tin.

-------------

Date Posted: 06 Mar 2015 at 4:34pm
Gauntlet has been thrown down to Cameron by the broadcasters, they've effectively said they'd be prepared to empty chair him. Even in the head to head debate and give Miliband a free run

-------------

Date Posted: 06 Mar 2015 at 4:40pm
Originally posted by Denis Irwin Denis Irwin wrote:

Gauntlet has been thrown down to Cameron by the broadcasters, they've effectively said they'd be prepared to empty chair him. Even in the head to head debate and give Miliband a free run

That would be amazing.  Although Miliband is so charisma-free the chair might win. 

-------------
Team Emmet

Posted By: heighway2heaven
Date Posted: 06 Mar 2015 at 5:03pm
LOL

-------------
http://giant.gfycat.com/LimpLittleArabianoryx.gif

Posted By: Newryrep
Date Posted: 06 Mar 2015 at 8:02pm
Originally posted by BrenC BrenC wrote:

That would be amazing.  Although Miliband is so charisma-free the chair might win. 

the chair would be odds on

Interesting election as others have said (which reminds me I must apply for postal/proxy vote) SNP could be kingmakers if they do as well as expected in Scotland.

UKIP wont do well, though their single figure number of MP's will be spun as a seismic event comparable to Labour sweeping to power in 45

-------------
'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941

Posted By: Galoglas
Date Posted: 06 Mar 2015 at 10:47pm
Originally posted by Newryrep Newryrep wrote:

Originally posted by BrenC BrenC wrote:

the chair would be odds on

Interesting election as others have said (which reminds me I must apply for postal/proxy vote) SNP could be kingmakers if they do as well as expected in Scotland.

UKIP wont do well, though their single figure number of MP's will be spun as a seismic event comparable to Labour sweeping to power in 45

I'm not so sure the SNP want to be kingmakers,sh*t stirrers may be a better description. I can't see the SNP getting all the seats they are predicting though it would be some night if we did. It would never be pay back for Sept but it would be great to see some of the unionists out of a job.

-------------
Aberdeen have what money can't buy - a soul, a team spirit built in a family tradition"
Di Stefano

Date Posted: 06 Mar 2015 at 10:56pm
Really hope one of the papers gets someone dressed as a chicken to follow Dave around if he doesn't turn up for any of the debates

-------------

Date Posted: 07 Mar 2015 at 6:42pm
Former Tory Home Secretary Kenneth Baker suggesting a Tory Labour coalition in the event of a hung parliament where the SNP held the balance of power. That would be Labour finished in the north of England if they did it.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-31776943" rel="nofollow - http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-31776943

-------------

Date Posted: 07 Mar 2015 at 10:48pm
Brilliant article from Kevin McKenna in the Guardian explaining Labours collapse in Scotland has been coming for a long time. Well worth a read...  http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2015/mar/07/scottish-labour-party-need-to-get-act-together-union-general-election" rel="nofollow - http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2015/mar/07/scottish-labour-party-need-to-get-act-together-union-general-election

The union is once again at risk – thanks to Labour

The party doesn’t understand that by siding with the Tories on the referendum it alienated many voters forever

And so, 18 September 2014, didn’t bring us the end of the United Kingdom; merely the beginning of the end. The buglers even now are sounding a renewed call to arms –  http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/coffeehouse/2015/02/the-collapse-of-scottish-labour-means-the-battle-for-britain-has-only-just-begun/" rel="nofollow - Nelson in The Spectatorhttp://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2982046/The-terrifying-prospect-Scots-ruling-England-real-MAX-HASTINGS-nightmare-scenario-facing-Britain-Election.html" rel="nofollow - Hastings in the Daily Mail and  http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2015/mar/05/britain-union-abraham-lincoln-cameron-miliband" rel="nofollow - Kettle in The Guardian .

Soon the pale horses will have cleared the Roman wall and the thunder of hooves will be heard all the way up the M74, just as they were last September when the union was last deemed to be in mortal danger. Then they thought they had seen the last of Scottish truculence and it was back to business as normal: administering the unfair and unequal British state. But now a Tory lord has produced figures which confirm that the social, political and cultural fires which lit up  http://www.theguardian.com/uk/scotland" rel="nofollow - Scotland  in the two years before the referendum burn still.

Lord Ashcroft’s polling figures last week predicted that the SNP may be on course to take more than  http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2015/mar/04/snp-set-for-56-of-59-scottish-seats-in-general-election-poll-suggests" rel="nofollow - 50 of Scotland’s 59 Westminster seats  on 7 May.  http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/SNP/11388944/SNP-to-wipe-out-Labour-vote-in-Scotland-Lord-Ashcroft-poll-reveals.html" rel="nofollow - The previous month,  he polled in areas of the country which had been most in favour of independence and these pointed to a nationalist landslide, too. His second poll indicated that even in unionist strongholds such as Gordon Brown’s Kirkcaldy and Cowdenbeath and Charles Kennedy’s Ross, Skye and Lochaber an SNP windfall awaits. What will unfold between now and the election is not merely about how many seats Labour in Scotland can salvage, but whether or not Labour has a sustainable future in Scotland. And if it goes down then the union is in danger of going down with it, for the Scottish nationalists will, for the first time, have control of some of the UK’s levers of power.

Ashcroft’s numbers, and those of the  http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2015/feb/10/snp-set-to-double-its-vote-in-general-election-poll-finds" rel="nofollow - clutch of national polls  which preceded them, point to the fact that the political landscape of Scotland is undergoing a profound and generational change. The referendum on Scottish independence may only have been a staging post on the journey. Nationalists have managed to bridle the winds of change, while Labour in Scotland is in grave danger of being blown away by them. It has failed to understand what has happened in Scotland and this has been woefully apparent in its immediate response to the Ashcroft poll. With barely two months until the general election and with the party facing an apocalypse in Scotland its response was, once more, to attempt to scare their own voters.

Jim Murphy, whose own safe seat in East Renfrewshire is threatened, said:  http://www.itv.com/news/border/update/2015-03-04/lord-ashcroft-polls-bad-news-for-scottish-labour-but-great-news-for-the-tories/" rel="nofollow - “These polls are great news for David Cameron.”  This empty and meaningless mantra was repeated ad nauseam throughout the day. In the last eight years, Labour in Scotland has lost two elections, one of them a landslide, to the SNP. It saw more than 30% of supporters vote Yes in the referendum and now it faces being left with fewer than a handful of seats in its heartlands. Yet, in the face of this, its only response was: “Vote SNP, get Tories.” It was pathetic and displayed a fundamental ignorance of what has been happening in its backyards.

That old ship sailed a long, long time ago. The multitudes of former Labour supporters who have migrated to the SNP now believe that  http://www.theguardian.com/politics/labour" rel="nofollow - Labour  and the Tories are indivisible.

The voters aren’t stupid. The Scottish electorate is more sophisticated and more knowledgeable than any previous generation. Scots under the age of 30 voted overwhelmingly in favour of independence and they have access to more streams of information and are consuming their politics from more vivid, rock’n’roll providers. They have ceased to trust what they were being fed by traditional media and have turned to websites such as  http://wingsoverscotland.com/" rel="nofollow - Wings Over Scotland ,  http://bellacaledonia.org.uk/" rel="nofollow - Bella Caledonia and  http://newsnet.scot/" rel="nofollow - Newsnet Scotland . The numbers following these websites are approaching six figures and their crowd-funding enterprises have allowed them budgets to rival those of many newspaper commissioning editors. They can no longer be regarded as peripheral players on Scotland’s media terrain and their forensic scrutiny of the claims of politicians and newspapers is driving tens of thousands of voters away from Labour.

Labour in Scotland doesn’t understand that it is being punished for campaigning with the Tories every inch of the way to defeat independence. It failed to produce its own model of a socially progressive United Kingdom for the 21st century that stood alone. Instead, it hitched its wagons to a discredited one in which disproportionate influence is still wielded by a tiny elite and where the financial incontinence of wealth producers goes unchecked.

Labour has been judged by the new nationalists not to have opposed this system sufficiently well at Westminster and that perceived failure is reaping a bitter harvest for it in Scotland. No amount of policy initiatives by Ed Miliband can dislodge this thought from the minds of Labour’s lost Scottish generation.

If the party is to be spared in Scotland then it needs to come out fighting and remind supporters that every yard of social progress that has been achieved in this country was won by a radical Labour party that once challenged the hegemony of privilege and unearned wealth in the UK. It needs to do this again and not by producing an austerity-lite programme. When younger voters are told that a period of austerity will nurse us all back to economic health, they simply want to see evidence that we are all in it together. Instead, they see rich  http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2015/feb/10/tory-donors-bid-shoe-shopping-theresa-may-10km-run-ids" rel="nofollow - Conservatives bidding hundreds of thousands to shop with Theresa May or take tea with Boris Johnson. 

They see  http://www.theguardian.com/business/hsbcholdings" rel="nofollow - HSBC help our richest citizens  to avoid paying their fair share and  http://www.theguardian.com/business/2015/mar/06/royal-bank-of-scotland-top-bankers-received-millions-despite-35bn-loss" rel="nofollow - RBS bosses continuing to award themselves grotesque millions.  This happens in an environment where social mobility and self-improvement is limited to what the ruling elite finds comfortable and thus our place near the top of the table of Europe’s most unequal societies is preserved. If it’s to be austerity it must be austerity for all.

If UK Labour can’t or won’t carry out this task then the Scottish party must uncouple from Westminster, take up the standard and dare to be radical once more in restoring balance within our uneven society. I fear that it may be too late, though.

-------------

Date Posted: 08 Mar 2015 at 12:40pm
http://news.sky.com/story/1440761/thatcher-turned-blind-eye-to-paedophile-mps" rel="nofollow - http://news.sky.com/story/1440761/thatcher-turned-blind-eye-to-paedophile-mps

-------------

Date Posted: 08 Mar 2015 at 5:01pm
Oh dear

-------------

Date Posted: 08 Mar 2015 at 7:13pm
This is getting a little out of hand

http://archive.today/cpsbN" rel="nofollow - https://archive.today/cpsbN

-------------

Date Posted: 08 Mar 2015 at 7:22pm
Little Englanders getting all uppity because Scotland may have a say in how the Governement is run, cannot wait to see their faces if SNP hold the balance of power

-------------

Date Posted: 08 Mar 2015 at 8:23pm

This is getting a little out of hand

http://archive.today/cpsbN" rel="nofollow - https://archive.today/cpsbN

jesus I haven't laughed so much since I read Alan Partridges autobiography surely Massie and Partridge are interchangeable.

nobody real is that kowtowing deferential ?

-------------
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941

Date Posted: 09 Mar 2015 at 11:16am
Usually the Brits couldn't care less about us but this time there seems to be quite a bit of coverage about whats happening in Scotland.  
I think we have finally managed to take the place of the Irish on that naughty step. Sorry.

-------------
Aberdeen have what money can't buy - a soul, a team spirit built in a family tradition"
Di Stefano

Date Posted: 09 Mar 2015 at 1:11pm
Originally posted by Galoglas Galoglas wrote:

Usually the Brits couldn't care less about us but this time there seems to be quite a bit of coverage about whats happening in Scotland.  
I think we have finally managed to take the place of the Irish on that naughty step. Sorry.

Nah we've not been on the naughty step since the 90's. Everything's rosey in the garden between us and that includes the Shinners.

You lot on the other hand are stepping waaaaay out of line. How dare you use the democratic process to upset the Westminster applecart

-------------

Posted By: londonirish
Date Posted: 09 Mar 2015 at 1:38pm
The prospect of an snp presence in government is a frightening one to most down here!

I still think we'll see a conserative minority government. The UKIP treat is fading and the snp will wipe out labour. 

Date Posted: 09 Mar 2015 at 1:46pm
Originally posted by londonirish londonirish wrote:

The prospect of an snp presence in government is a frightening one to most down here!

I still think we'll see a conserative minority government. The UKIP treat is fading and the snp will wipe out labour. 
Going by the current polls a Conservative government cannot be formed and Labours only chance would be to cuddle up to the SNP and one of the Lib Dems, the Greens or Plaid Cymru http://gu.com/p/464t6" rel="nofollow - http://gu.com/p/464t6

It'll surely change closer to the election but at this moment in time the polls would have to be drastically wrong for the SNP not to be the king makers in May. Even if the SNP only get a quarter of the seats predicted they will still be the king makers because the seats they would lose would go to labour in the vast majority of cases (maybe 1 or 2 to the lib dems) however labour would still come up short of a majority due to the lack of gains made in England over the past 5 years. They have only themselves to blame.

Having said that all the scaremongering going on at the moment might have the affect of pushing swing voters in England from Labour to the Conservatives thereby opening up the possibility of a Tory/ukip/DUP government. Nightmare!!!

-------------

Date Posted: 09 Mar 2015 at 2:38pm

Going by the current polls a Conservative government cannot be formed and Labours only chance would be to cuddle up to the SNP and one of the Lib Dems, the Greens or Plaid Cymru http://gu.com/p/464t6" rel="nofollow - http://gu.com/p/464t6

It'll surely change closer to the election but at this moment in time the polls would have to be drastically wrong for the SNP not to be the king makers in May. Even if the SNP only get a quarter of the seats predicted they will still be the king makers because the seats they would lose would go to labour in the vast majority of cases (maybe 1 or 2 to the lib dems).

Having said that all this scaremongering going on at the moment might have the affect of pushing swing voters in England from Labour to the Conservatives thereby opening up the possibility of a Tory/ukip/DUP government. Nightmare!!!

agreed - the SNP will hold he balance of power but that doesn't necessarily mean they'll end up in power. Remember, there doesn't have to be a coalition. 

The tory's can stay in power in a minority gov providing no government can be formed. Dave effectively locks the front door, pulls down the blinds and and says better luck next time chaps. the PM in a minority government doesn't have to be from the biggest party. He's the sitting PM.

labour need the snp for a coalition but i dont think they'll do a deal. imo the snp would prefer labour to be wiped out and Dave stays as PM as it will strengthen their objectives - let's break from these tory blue blooded b@st@rds! The snp has no long term aim/ desire to be in government in london, certainly not propping up labour. if anything it will blur the lines too much between labour/ snp. 

I no longer think the threat from ukip is crebible enough to displace Dave. It's fading. Euro elections was one thing, this is a general. The thought of labour and the snp in power is enough to turn most purple voters back to blue. That said i still reckon they'll get 5-6 seats. The DUP are run by loons who think the world was created in 7 days. No chance they'll be included in the big talks, not unless it gets very messy.

Either way it's going to be interesting. I still have no idea who or sadly even if i'll vote.

Date Posted: 09 Mar 2015 at 2:44pm
A minority tory government would get nothing passed in parliament and soon collapse. The possibility of an autumn election looms large if labour don't form a government. Whatever happens the markets are going to be volatile this summer.

-------------

Date Posted: 09 Mar 2015 at 3:09pm
that's if the public will stomach another election.  I agree though a con/ lab minority government wouldn't last. 

If labour do get it, expect Dave to get the boot in the morning and MP Boris to the rescue!

Date Posted: 09 Mar 2015 at 3:21pm
Agreed re Boris. There is no other candidate out there that is as shrewd and cunning as him.

-------------

Date Posted: 09 Mar 2015 at 3:32pm
The amount of fear within Labour and the Tories about the realistic Possibility of the SNP holding the balance of power after the election is hilarious

-------------

Date Posted: 09 Mar 2015 at 4:09pm
The tory fear could push up the SNP vote, to much amusement from me

-------------

Date Posted: 09 Mar 2015 at 4:25pm
Scottish polls have been notoriously inaccurate down the years. The only time they were consistent with the final outcome was during the referendum last year. I expect a surge in the numbers of SNP MPs but nowhere near the numbers Lord Ashcroft has been reporting.

Date Posted: 09 Mar 2015 at 4:30pm
It depends, if the tories keep telling Scotland it is a bad thing......

-------------

Posted By: corkery
Date Posted: 09 Mar 2015 at 6:46pm
Bringing back the 50P rate. That'll be great for business alright. 

-------------
'The younger generation as in 17 -25 are certainly gayer than their predecessors. I think they may cause the extinction of the human race with their activities.'- Baldrick

Date Posted: 09 Mar 2015 at 7:03pm
I'd be surprised if we get all the seats that the polls are predicting ,certainly enjoying the chaos it is causing though.
The SNP won't go in a coalition with Labour.Unlike the Lib Dems the SNP have no interest in cabinet posts .What the SNP might do is back Labour on a case by case basis.
The SNP focus remains the same as it has since it was formed and thats independence and if the Brits get so upset they throw us out the union then great.
It'll be an interesting election and if that dangerous clown Johnson or his sidekick Farage gets near the reins of power we'll be off and building the highest wall ever at the border.Wink 

-------------
Di Stefano

Date Posted: 09 Mar 2015 at 7:09pm
Originally posted by corkery corkery wrote:

Bringing back the 50P rate. That'll be great for business alright. 

if the tories just took the tax their friends owed....

-------------

Date Posted: 10 Mar 2015 at 10:15am

-------------

Posted By: Sham157
Date Posted: 10 Mar 2015 at 10:19am
good god LOL

Date Posted: 10 Mar 2015 at 10:30am
General Election 2015

Date Posted: 10 Mar 2015 at 10:44am
The Mirror towing the party line

-------------

Date Posted: 10 Mar 2015 at 10:59am

General Election 2015

-------------

Date Posted: 10 Mar 2015 at 2:30pm

They'll be running out of threats by Friday at this rate. Bigger threat than Martians,Worse than ebola. I thought  the referendum was bad for lies and smears but it has notched up a scale at the thoughts of all those SNP bums on their nice green seats in Westminster. 

-------------
Di Stefano

Date Posted: 10 Mar 2015 at 9:22pm
Tomorrow's Sun

Really, Really hope the SNP win over 40 seats.The infantile sh*te the tabloids are coming out with is unreal. The little Englanders are running scared

-------------

Date Posted: 10 Mar 2015 at 10:14pm
This is going way beyond the level it was at during the indy ref.

It'll cause fury in Scotland.

-------------

Posted By: MayoMark
Date Posted: 10 Mar 2015 at 10:17pm
Incredible

-------------
They finally did it man... They killed my f**kin' car...

Date Posted: 10 Mar 2015 at 10:33pm
I take it that is the 'English' Sun, interesting to note what the Scottish take on this would be. ?

The 'irish' sun of course is anybodys guess though I doubt the electoral fortunes of one of our biggest trading partners will trouble its pages bar the actual election

-------------

Date Posted: 10 Mar 2015 at 10:41pm
Not sure what the paper itself thinks but Sam,21 from Northants, says on page 3 of tomorrow's Irish sun, that the SNP's economic policies are as crazy as Sinn Fein's. We need business to grow and develop across our islands

-------------

Date Posted: 11 Mar 2015 at 6:45am
The SUN won't print that in Scotland. Maybe they have never heard of the internet and didn't think we would see it. 
Actually I welcome stuff like that just makes more and more people relise how Scotland is currently being viewed by many in England. Don't even think that photo of Tasmina Sheikh is actually her.And Pete Wishart doesn't consider himself British ??? a huge proportion of the Scottish population don't consider themselves as Brits.
This sort of thing will hit the soft unionists,they'll be the ones questioning why they did what they did when they see this.All the "better together" and all "one big family" crap. 
"And lets not forget they want to break up the UK" Well at least they got that bit right.

-------------
Di Stefano

Date Posted: 11 Mar 2015 at 11:08pm
Not what the Lib Dems need right now especially in Scotland

-------------

Date Posted: 12 Mar 2015 at 12:44am
The polls all along are predicting that Danny will lose his seat, this just puts another nail in his MP coffin.

The Nats will make hay tomorrow. It'll blow over and there'll be another scandal on Friday.

-------------

Date Posted: 13 Mar 2015 at 12:04am
New YouGov poll out tonight. The trend remains as before with Labour making no head wind in Scotland. 

The SNP gaining 42 seats and Labour losing 32 seats is simply sensational.

YouGov https://twitter.com/hashtag/GE2015?src=hash" rel="nofollow - poll Scotland seats: SNP 48 (+42) Lab 9 (-32) Con 1 (=) LDem 1 (-10)

Charles Kennedy was absolutely polluted on BBC Question Time tonight. It would be funny had he not a problem with the demon drink. It looks like he'll be the only Lib Dem MP left in Scotland after the GE.

-------------

Date Posted: 13 Mar 2015 at 12:07am
Labour should make a coalition with Jeremy Clarkson and his 700,000 petition signatures LOL

Date Posted: 13 Mar 2015 at 12:09am
Suppose it's too much to hope that one of those Labour loses is that odious f**k Jim Murphy

-------------

Posted By: Green Devil
Date Posted: 13 Mar 2015 at 12:12am

Labour should make a coalition with Jeremy Clarkson and his 700,000 petition signatures LOL

I heard you're flying the flag for UKIP in Sunderland mate

-------------
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan

Date Posted: 13 Mar 2015 at 12:19am
Jesus really hope Charles Kennedy gets the help he needs

-------------

Suppose it's too much to hope that one of those Labour loses is that odious f**k Jim Murphy

He only had a 1% lead in his constituency in the latest Lord Ashcroft poll. The SNP candidate is a 20 year firebrand called Mhairi Black who was on the bottom of the Nicola Sturgeon wrecking ball article. I'd be amazed if he lost but she's got a powerful grassroots campaign.  http://twitter.com/mhairi1921" rel="nofollow - http://twitter.com/mhairi1921

EDIT: I'm mistaken. She's actually up against Labours Douglas Alexander and his seat is in serious danger.

-------------

Originally posted by Green Devil Green Devil wrote:

I heard you're flying the flag for UKIP in Sunderland mate

Me and Farage have something in common  - sitting in the pub 24/7 LOLClap

Date Posted: 16 Mar 2015 at 3:03pm
Miliband has ruled out a coalition witn the SNP

-------------

Date Posted: 16 Mar 2015 at 3:46pm

Yeah a formal coalition ? Don't think the snp would enter one even if they were begged

A working 'arrangement' is a different matter all together

-------------

Date Posted: 16 Mar 2015 at 3:54pm
Originally posted by Newryrep Newryrep wrote:

Yeah a formal coalition ? Don't think the snp would enter one even if they were begged

A working 'arrangement' is a different matter all together

Yeah Sturgeon came out and said it fairly quickly.Both however didn't rule out an informal arrangement of supply and confidence (Similar to what Labour had under Callaghan in the 70's with the Liberals)

-------------

Date Posted: 16 Mar 2015 at 4:39pm
It was a logical and most obvious thing to do given the ridiculous sniping going on from the other parties re a coalition.

Also makes it less likely for English swing voters to move away from Labour because of the perceived likelihood of a formal coalition with the snp.

-------------

Date Posted: 16 Mar 2015 at 4:52pm
Great and hilarious article from Mark Steele in the Independent

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/comment/how-dare-anyone-ask-david-cameron-to-take-part-in-the-tv-debates--dont-they-know-who-he-is-10104861.html" rel="nofollow - http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/comment/how-dare-anyone-ask-david-cameron-to-take-part-in-the-tv-debates--dont-they-know-who-he-is-10104861.html

My favourite bit

Quote I suppose you can see Cameron’s point of view, that it’s grossly unfair for someone to become Prime Minister when they haven’t won a majority, by doing some sort of a deal with another party. That’s why it must be especially horrifying to imagine the SNP having some sort of influence in parliament, when they’ve cheated by exploiting the “get more votes than the other parties” loophole.
Then the SNP plan to vote – that’s right VOTE – in a parliament they’ve been elected to, and which Cameron spent a year demanding they had to carry on being governed by. The cheating Scottish bastards. The next set of posters should make his point even clearer and say, “Vote Labour and wake up being dragged by horses to Arbroath by marauding Highlanders who lock you and your children in a dungeon while they stand above you laughing and eating raw squirrels.”

-------------

Date Posted: 16 Mar 2015 at 5:04pm
Mark Steel is brilliant, his in town series was brilliant as were his books. Proper lefty and funny man. Big Palace fan too

-------------

Posted By: rossieman
Date Posted: 16 Mar 2015 at 5:07pm
Mark Steel Clap Very funny fella.

Date Posted: 16 Mar 2015 at 6:47pm
There was no chance the SNP would ever go into a coalition with Labour. There would be no point.The SNP don't want seats at the British cabinet or power for the sake of it in London.They want to get down there and get out again as soon as possible.
Nicola Sturgeon has played it very cleverly and stitched him up already by offering a way of keeping the Tories out through an informal arrangement. So really in the eyes of English voters he is no further on and if he wavers at all then the Labour voters in Scotland that are left will jump ship as well.
In the old days here it was arguments of left against right,now it is very clearly unionist against those who want independence. 

-------------
Di Stefano

Date Posted: 18 Mar 2015 at 12:43pm
George's final budget today and half of it reeks of getting votes in the election rather than thinking economy. Keeps mentioning employment but doesn't mention how many on welfare sanctions and/or zero-hour contracts, just pulling numbers out of his ass.

Tax duty on Spirits, pints and cigarettes(!) is expected and will get them extra votes

Posted By: irelandfan
Date Posted: 18 Mar 2015 at 12:50pm
I'm not one to Say I'm happy to live in Ireland but when it comes to the process of electing our politicians I really do pity the British and the fact that they voted against PR EmbarrassedEmbarrassed.

-------------
I'm the gaffer whatever I say goes.

Posted By: Hoosay
Date Posted: 18 Mar 2015 at 1:41pm
Never had a chance to vote on PR, all that was offered was AV which is crap but better then the current system. Of course, like in the Scottish election the Tories and Labour banded together to make sure it was rejected.

I'm thinking of voting Green. It's a pity their leader is so poor on TV, they're losing votes because of her.

Posted By: irelandfan
Date Posted: 18 Mar 2015 at 2:51pm
Originally posted by Hoosay Hoosay wrote:

Never had a chance to vote on PR, all that was offered was AV which is crap but better then the current system. Of course, like in the Scottish election the Tories and Labour banded together to make sure it was rejected.

I'm thinking of voting Green. It's a pity their leader is so poor on TV, they're losing votes because of her.

Yes you're correct it was AV not PR I actually thought they we're similar enough but not the case, either way not real democracy in Britain and until its changed many segments of British society particularly the lower classes will continue to be under represented in Westminster.   

-------------
I'm the gaffer whatever I say goes.

Date Posted: 18 Mar 2015 at 2:59pm
Only the upper classes can claim representation at Westminster, look at the backgrounds of the Tory, Red Tory and Lib dem politicians and not many Tony Benn types, including his offspring

-------------

Date Posted: 18 Mar 2015 at 3:01pm
Yep, it's ridiculous really. It's a voting system that only works in a two party system. With 5 parties in England looking like they'll get at least 5% of the vote (Con, Lab, LD, UKIP and Green) the first past the post system is completely undemocratic. A huge number of MPs will be elected with around 30%-35% of the vote.

Date Posted: 18 Mar 2015 at 3:17pm
And then factor in turnout, 36% at the last locals, 65% at the last general. I would predict between 55% and 60% this time. Hardly a case for democracy!

-------------

Date Posted: 18 Mar 2015 at 3:34pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

And then factor in turnout, 36% at the last locals, 65% at the last general. I would predict between 55% and 60% this time. Hardly a case for democracy!

I reckon in Scotland it will be nearer the 80% mark. There is a real kicking to be handed out and folk seem up for it.

-------------
Di Stefano

Date Posted: 18 Mar 2015 at 3:43pm
If you actually multiply the percentage of the electorate that voted for the last Governments, it is pretty grim reading:

2010: 58.1% for the Coalition, 65.1% turnout, 38.5% vote for the Government.
2005: 35.2% for Labour, 61.4% turnout, 21.6% vote for the Government.
2001: 40.7% for Labour, 59.4% turnout, 24.2% vote for the Government.
1997: 43.2% for Labour, 71.3% turnout, 30.8% vote for the Government.
1992: 41.9% for Conservatives, 77.7% turnout, 32.6% vote for the Government.
1987: 42.2% for Conservatives, 75.3% turnout, 31.8% vote for the Government.

Ireland by comparison:
2011: 55.5% for the Coalition, 70% turnout, 38.9% vote for the Government.
2007: 49.0% for the Coalition, 67% turnout, 32.8% vote for the Government.
2002: 45.5% for the Coalition, 62.6% turnout, 28.5% vote for the Government.

1997's election here ended up with independents supporting the Government so it is pretty difficult to calculate. Anyway, it all makes for grim reading. Governments are formed if they can get about a third of electorate to vote for them, here or there.

-------------

Date Posted: 18 Mar 2015 at 3:49pm
And you have clowns like Boris Johnson arguing that unions should not be allowed to vote for strike action unless more than 50% of the eligible members vote, the same argument could be made that about governments, or mayors.

Date Posted: 18 Mar 2015 at 3:51pm
Scotland is in a different place GG so I think it could be quite high there.

Was just reading about the money spent on advertising the last UK general election. It worked out at just under 4 quid for every vote cast

-------------

Date Posted: 18 Mar 2015 at 3:52pm

And you have clowns like Boris Johnson arguing that unions should not be allowed to vote for strike action unless more than 50% of the eligible members vote, the same argument could be made that about governments, or mayors.

whilst i'm pro-union, i would tend to agree with this. we have continuous strikes in london because a handful of people are led by greedy militant unions. surely it has to have wide-scale support from union members, or at least a majority.

anyway, back on topic - yes we have a ridiculous system here... this year will be very interesting to watch.

Date Posted: 18 Mar 2015 at 3:53pm

I think it is paramount it is applied to governments, councils and mayors. Democracy is a lovely idea in theory......

-------------

Date Posted: 18 Mar 2015 at 3:56pm

whilst i'm pro-union, i would tend to agree with this. we have continuous strikes in london because a handful of people are led by greedy militant unions. surely it has to have wide-scale support from union members, or at least a majority.

anyway, back on topic - yes we have a ridiculous system here... this year will be very interesting to watch.

On what basis? Why should an absent vote count as a no vote?

-------------

Date Posted: 18 Mar 2015 at 3:58pm
RMT

-------------

Date Posted: 18 Mar 2015 at 4:00pm
Originally posted by SuperDave84 SuperDave84 wrote:

On what basis? Why should an absent vote count as a no vote?

Because if you are going to strike as a collective union, the union (or at least a majority of members) should at least vote to do so. If you have 100 people in a Union and they vote on weather to strike or not. Where's the sense in 20 of them voting...

Date Posted: 18 Mar 2015 at 4:01pm
and i agree that should apply to votes such as the London mayor! Which i believe he won with about 30% turnout...

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net