You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

UK Politics Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 483484485486487 535>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2020 at 8:54pm
Having found a clip of the speech I took it as meaning racist businesses and those complicit in racism.

Regardless, even if he didn't, I still don't think a black person saying to support black businesses is racist. To think is so is deliberately misunderstand systemic racial oppression and the very point of these protests.
That doesn't mean I agree with him here and, given that he is giving actual racists the opportunity to deflect from the crux of the matter, I don't think it is very beneficial, but it certainly isn't racist.
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2020 at 9:13pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Having found a clip of the speech I took it as meaning racist businesses and those complicit in racism.

Regardless, even if he didn't, I still don't think a black person saying to support black businesses is racist. To think is so is deliberately misunderstand systemic racial oppression and the very point of these protests.
That doesn't mean I agree with him here and, given that he is giving actual racists the opportunity to deflect from the crux of the matter, I don't think it is very beneficial, but it certainly isn't racist.

But a white person at a KKK rally for talks sake would undoubtedly be racist? (I know you told me this comparison was not allowed for some reason but it has to be said)
So if you are from the oppressed side you cannot be racist for saying the exact same thing that would be racist if it came from the oppressor? 

Edited by Roberto Baggio - 07 Jun 2020 at 9:14pm
sid waddell View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2020 at 9:18pm

There's a reason why black people saying "I'm proud to be black" or gay people saying "I'm proud to be gay" or women saying "I'm proud to be a woman" or Travellers saying "I'm proud to be a Traveller" is a declaration of defiant freedom. 

And why white people saying "I'm proud to be white" isn't. 

I think it may have something to do with millennia of white, straight, male hegemony. Wink

Edited by sid waddell - 07 Jun 2020 at 9:18pm
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2020 at 9:24pm
what about if you say you’re proud to be straight? 
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2020 at 9:26pm
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

But a white person at a KKK rally for talks sake would undoubtedly be racist? (I know you told me this comparison was not allowed for some reason but it has to be said)
So if you are from the oppressed side you cannot be racist for saying the exact same thing that would be racist if it came from the oppressor? 
Black people have never systemically oppressed white people based on the colour of their skin, whereas white people have. So trying to compare the two is a false equivalence. It is like when people discuss 'straight pride' when 'gay pride' is on, when straight people have never been arrested or beaten up for their sexual orientation. It's the same sort of thought process.
I don't believe reverse racism is a genuine thing.

In fairness, if you find yourself at a Klan rally, unless you are there to batter them, or are doing some sort of exposé, it is pretty safe to assume that you're a racist!
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2020 at 9:29pm
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

what about if you say you’re proud to be straight? 
People can draw their own conclusions about what you'd be. 

None of them good.

Different statements have different meanings depending on context. 

Ascertianing context takes aa rudimentaary knowledge of history, and using one's brain. 

Unfortunately that seems beyond a lot of people on the internet these days.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2020 at 9:30pm
Inconsistent but I see your viewpoint now  
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2020 at 9:37pm

I don't believe reverse racism is a genuine thing.
It does exist, but there are very, very few places where white people are a threatened minority. 

Does it exist in, say, the US or Britain? I dare say it does, but its effect on society is infinitesmal in comparison to white racism.

Do I condone it? No. Do I think it's more understandable and is based far more in real lived experience than white racism? Hell, yes.

Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2020 at 9:43pm
Yeah, you are correct that it probably does exist. But it is harder to find and, as you say, more understandable. 
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2020 at 9:53am
Although harder to find, I think a strong example of "reverse racism" (I dislike the term immensely), is the current attitudes towards England which is prevalent on the Internet. The term "Tan" is regularly used, and would tick all the boxes for "reverse-racism". Anglophobia is pretty strong on the internet, and it is often laced in comments that about any other nation would just be bog-standard racism. I suspect this might be a controversial viewpoint, especially on here, but I think its a valid example.

Edited by Het-field - 08 Jun 2020 at 9:54am
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2020 at 12:22pm
Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

Although harder to find, I think a strong example of "reverse racism" (I dislike the term immensely), is the current attitudes towards England which is prevalent on the Internet. The term "Tan" is regularly used, and would tick all the boxes for "reverse-racism". Anglophobia is pretty strong on the internet, and it is often laced in comments that about any other nation would just be bog-standard racism. I suspect this might be a controversial viewpoint, especially on here, but I think its a valid example.
I would consider it just racism though, especially when it is merely about where people are from than what they have done or are doing. Hating a British soldier in Belfast might be reverse racism, but complaining about 'Tan' tourists in West Cork or Kerry is just racist really.
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2020 at 1:11pm
I think it was out of Clonakilty that Ireland's first modern "Immigration Control" movement was established, and it had its roots in people holidaying in the area. As somebody who used holiday in the area in the 1990s, I often remember all sorts of criticism being thrown at the tourists who came in for a few weeks a year. Because it was something normal to hear, you never thought that it was invective, just an observation. But in truth it had a very sinister and isolationist undertone to it.

Edited by Het-field - 08 Jun 2020 at 1:11pm
Flanno7hi View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flanno7hi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2020 at 1:21pm

Unsurprisingly a lot of people here didn't realise they have statues dotted about the place of slavers and people who committed atrocities. Wait until the find out about all those Cromwell streets and statues of the ****.

Our City. Our Community. Our Club
IG @flanno_7hi
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2020 at 1:35pm

I think it was out of Clonakilty that Ireland's first modern "Immigration Control" movement was established, and it had its roots in people holidaying in the area. As somebody who used holiday in the area in the 1990s, I often remember all sorts of criticism being thrown at the tourists who came in for a few weeks a year. Because it was something normal to hear, you never thought that it was invective, just an observation. But in truth it had a very sinister and isolationist undertone to it.
As you may know, that's my hometown.
Yes, I had many a run-in with the vile, and genuinely very smelly, Áine Ní Chonaill, who seemed to take issue with a local hostel owner making his premises available to those seeking asylum. Two people I became friends with worked there and there were genuine flashpoints with people who had fled here in fear, who were then subjected to the most awful racist abuse with many myths being repeated that had very little basis in truth, certainly regarding their benefits.Those lads had a couple of scuffles just for trying to work there and one was certainly vilified for being Welsh himself.
There may well have been comments and criticism of tourists, in fact I can assure you that there was, but that isn't where the Immigration Control Platform originated from, although 'Midge', as she was known to students of the local Convent School, was certainly someone who believed in  Irish isolationism. She created the movement to try and stop asylum seekers coming to Ireland and Clonakilty in particular. She never got more than a scattering of votes when she stood in elections, thankfully, but she did gain the traction of the media. IIRC she was on The Late Late Show and other prominent national debates.

Edited by pre Madonna - 08 Jun 2020 at 1:36pm
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2020 at 10:54pm
I always felt that her media traction was simply a product of there being no alternative voice in that space, particularly at the time the ICP were being raised. The main parties had the ability to satisfy the immigration control needs of most voters, who at the time saw it as a peripheral issue, particularly around the time the organisation was set up, and when it came to voting, there were many other issues, of superior relevance.

Today, they have been outflanked by anti-immigration parties, and individuals, who actually have a much wider agenda that what the ICP put forward, and as such, they are left totally by the wayside.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2020 at 11:04pm

I always felt that her media traction was simply a product of there being no alternative voice in that space, particularly at the time the ICP were being raised. The main parties had the ability to satisfy the immigration control needs of most voters, who at the time saw it as a peripheral issue, particularly around the time the organisation was set up, and when it came to voting, there were many other issues, of superior relevance.

Today, they have been outflanked by anti-immigration parties, and individuals, who actually have a much wider agenda that what the ICP put forward, and as such, they are left totally by the wayside.
I always felt it was because she was a far-right oddity and the media are often intrigued by these people as they are good for ratings.
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2020 at 11:20pm
In those days that sort of thing didn't interest people in the way it did today. She also wasn't particularly charismatic, and was fairly "matter of fact" (for want of a better word). And on the whole, the media gave her little or no platform after the ICP launched, and she generally seemed to have to resort to sending "Letters to the Editor" to get her point out there.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2020 at 11:24pm

In those days that sort of thing didn't interest people in the way it did today. She also wasn't particularly charismatic, and was fairly "matter of fact" (for want of a better word). And on the whole, the media gave her little or no platform after the ICP launched, and she generally seemed to have to resort to sending "Letters to the Editor" to get her point out there.
It most certainly did and always has, which was the only reason she got the platform. I think she was seen a sort of eccentric curiosity, until they realised the only interesting thing about her was a lack of personal hygiene. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 483484485486487 535>
  Share Topic