You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

UK Politics Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 473474475476477 535>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2020 at 12:30pm
I'm not a massive fan of Starmer the fact he is a sir stick in the craw but his parents were very much working class. He has headed the CPS and has an angle on young people and what they have to face. Probably the most electable out of the candidates sadly.
Double Maxim without doubt the greatest drink in the world
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2020 at 12:41pm
Electability has to be a factor when choosing a leader. It may seem grubby and self serving, but there is no point in choosing a leader that makes you feel good, but when the time comes they lose the election, and can’t  put their platform into practice.

One of the left’s major failings is continued attempts to spin victory from defeat, or arguing that they are about much more than just electoral politics. The shallow and myopic attitudes of the right, and the practical approach of liberals see victory as winning elections and referendums. As uncomfortable as that may be, that is an important approach. And Starmer has the ability to put forward interesting politics and merge that with a desire to be elected.
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2020 at 12:46pm
Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

Electability has to be a factor when choosing a leader. It may seem grubby and self serving, but there is no point in choosing a leader that makes you feel good, but when the time comes they lose the election, and can’t  put their platform into practice.

One of the left’s major failings is continued attempts to spin victory from defeat, or arguing that they are about much more than just electoral politics. The shallow and myopic attitudes of the right, and the practical approach of liberals see victory as winning elections and referendums. As uncomfortable as that may be, that is an important approach. And Starmer has the ability to put forward interesting politics and merge that with a desire to be elected.
Tony Blair has proven that there is no point in just winning elections for the sake of statistical and historical record.
We will see what Starmer will bring, but my hunch is more shallow neo-liberalism.
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2020 at 12:52pm
But winning is not just for statistical and historical reasons. It’s to implement policy. And I think given what has happened over the past 10 years, Starmer will steer clear of ignoring the last five years and totally disconnecting from it, nor will he go Tory-lite, especially given the type of party the stories currently are.

Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2020 at 12:55pm

But winning is not just for statistical and historical reasons. It’s to implement policy. And I think given what has happened over the past 10 years, Starmer will steer clear of ignoring the last five years and totally disconnecting from it, nor will he go Tory-lite, especially given the type of party the stories currently are.

That is the best hope, I just don't see it in him. It is probably just a dislike of his blandness, hopefully his policies stand the test. 
The big thing though, in regards to being elected, is you have to be Murdoch's mate and that is the ultimate Catch-22.
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2020 at 1:09pm
I actually saw The Sun describe him as “Millionaire”. That could be said about a lot of politicians, so it will certainly involve an effort to chip at his “Labour” credentials.

I think he will be much harder to criticise given how he has generally been in line for his political career. Corbyn’s history as a maverick was a fertile ground for past stories, some of which were validly raised, and others which made little sense and should have been disregarded, and others which were false or misrepresented.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2020 at 1:16pm

I actually saw The Sun describe him as “Millionaire”. That could be said about a lot of politicians, so it will certainly involve an effort to chip at his “Labour” credentials.

I think he will be much harder to criticise given how he has generally been in line for his political career. Corbyn’s history as a maverick was a fertile ground for past stories, some of which were validly raised, and others which made little sense and should have been disregarded, and others which were false or misrepresented.
Yeah, but it isn't. There is the problem. Corbyn's house value was constantly mentioned, despite it being an argument ha had used himself regarding the economics of London and the housing crisis there. The same publication won't mention anything negative about the Tories. What is interesting to keep an eye on is the difference in editorial slant between the Scottish and London versions. A quick look at the headlines in each is enough to see it. I do wonder what Murdoch thinks he gains by Scottish independence? It is unlikely to be a principled stand based on a love of his ancestral home.

I think his views on Brexit can be legitimately criticised, especially regarding the last election. I agreed with it at the time, as I have said, but in hindsight it was crazy. Labour should have agreed to upholding the result and leaving, it could then have fought an election on policy. 

Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2020 at 1:28pm
The whole Brexit stance from Labour was asking for the result that transpired in December. I was very critical of it. It was a fairly binary issue. If you wanted to Remain the Lib Dem’s offered you Remain, if you wanted Leave, the Tories offered you that. The Brexit Party was an unambiguous vote for leave.

Labour’s was convoluted. The leader would negotiate a deal, out it to the public, and stay neutral. Tory Deal would be automatically opposed, Labour deal might be supported. No deal was off the table, except it couldn’t be promised because of the triggering of Article 50. There would be a referendum on a deal, which remainers saw as another road to leave, and leavers saw as another road to remain. Supporters usually seemed to default to belaying about “more democracy”, but that wasn’t enough.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2020 at 1:30pm
Yep, I was wrong. Whether that was due to loyalty, or simply because it made sense to me, I am not sure. Possibly both. Either way, Starmer is the man most closely associated with it.
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2020 at 2:08pm
Had Starmer led it, it might have had slightly more traction. The result was probably in the bag anyway, but Corbyn wasn’t the right person to put forward a plan like that, as it just added to the sense that staunch leavers or remainers couldn’t trust him.

In truth, it had to be fought as leave v leave, with the mantra of “who do you trust.”
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2020 at 9:30pm
Boris admitted to hospital for tests. Allegedly only a precaution
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2020 at 9:40pm
Originally posted by Denis Irwin Denis Irwin wrote:

Boris admitted to hospital for tests. Allegedly only a precaution
Noel Fitzpatrick is amazing, he will be fine.
coyne View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2020 at 9:42pm
I hope it's a NHS hospital. 

So he can see for himself the ventilator and PPE shortage. Oh and the 10 years of underfunding.
ConorMac77 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ConorMac77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2020 at 9:47pm
Originally posted by coyne coyne wrote:

I hope it's a NHS hospital. 

So he can see for himself the ventilator and PPE shortage. Oh and the 10 years of underfunding.
And I hope to score the winning goal for Ireland in the world cup final in Doha. LOL
The nation holds it's breath...YES, WE'RE THERE!!!
coyne View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2020 at 9:53pm
I'm more bothered about the agreement he signed last week that if he got hospitalised, Dominic Raab would be the person in charge.

We've gone from Dumb to Dumber.
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2020 at 10:07pm
Originally posted by coyne coyne wrote:

I'm more bothered about the agreement he signed last week that if he got hospitalised, Dominic Raab would be the person in charge.

We've gone from Dumb to Dumber.

Raab has been the de facto No.2 since the election. No agreement needed 
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
brianie View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brianie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2020 at 10:12pm
I am normally a cynic, but was genuinely moved by the 94 year old speech from the QueenTongue
ITS KEANE YES

YBIG You Can Please some of the People Some of the Time But Not All of The People All of The Time
reddladd View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reddladd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2020 at 10:46pm
Bowel movement was it?
I could agree with you but then we'd both be wrong.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 473474475476477 535>
  Share Topic