You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

UK Politics Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 469470471472473 535>
Author
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2020 at 10:22am
Originally posted by Zinedine Kilbane 110 Zinedine Kilbane 110 wrote:

Seems a low key exit tomorrow given the difficulty in getting to this position.

This is the impact of the large majority in Parliament. In reality what kept the Brexit issue alive was the 2017 General Election when the Tories lost an already slim majority, and had MPs who wished to resist Brexit. Even with help from Eurosceptic it pro-Brexit Labour MPs there was not nearly enough to get anything through, so each effort made became headline news for failing. It gave hope to those resistant to Brexit that there was a potential to avoid Brexit within a new Government. However, the Tories got their majority and can now legislate as they see fit, including the withdrawal. It’s business like and has no drama as the opposition is no longer strong enough to influence it.

Having said that, getting rid of Farage, Hannan, Widdicombe, Dodds and Anderson is the sliver lining.

Edited by Het-field - 30 Jan 2020 at 10:25am
sid waddell View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2020 at 11:41am
Originally posted by coyne coyne wrote:

Personally I’ll miss Farage as an MEP.

His hatred for the EU and constantly sl*gging everyone off and just being a complete bastard made fantastic news 
And here's the problem 

People treating politics as entertainment

Politics as entertainment is what has an international kleptocratic cabal in power all over the place
coyne View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2020 at 11:56am
All them years of watching BDO Darts has turned you into a seriously dull person Sid.

Personalities in politics = Gain wider attention no matter what your policies are. See Rory Stewart for more.
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2020 at 12:02pm

Personalities in politics = Gain wider attention no matter what your policies are. See Rory Stewart for more.

In fairness, I’d actually argue that Ireland has generally non attention seeking politicians, save for the freaks on the fringes, who never get elected, and if they do they don’t have near the numbers to influence policy.
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2020 at 1:07pm

All them years of watching BDO Darts has turned you into a seriously dull person Sid.

Believe me, dull is one thing I'm not.

Nigel Farage is dedicated to the preservation of the untramelled power and privilege of the rich, the destruction of democracy and the wholescale spread of international corruption. 

But hey, he's a "personality". 

Isn't it amazing how often people who are dedicated to such are "personalities"? Trump, Johnson, Farage, Banks, Salvini and demagogues in media like Piers Morgan, Alex Jones and Katie Hopkins. It's almost like their "personalities" are cultivated fakes designed entirely to con gullible people. 

Vladimir Putin is an actor playing a role for a Russian audience.

These people are all actors, they are not real, they are fakes, pied pipers, actors playing a role in a scripted "drama". 

Hitler was a "personality" too, you know. 

And every far right populist charlatan today has taken notes on how Hitler conned an entire country in the 1930s. They're using the exact same playbook. 

And all this will continue until enough people see through what they are and what all this is and stop treating politics as entertainment, and that will likely only happen when it's far too late.

Edited by sid waddell - 30 Jan 2020 at 1:08pm
coyne View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2020 at 2:53pm
More dullness. I nearly died of boredom reading all of that.

Love how everyone you listed were/are foul mouthed xenophobes to try supplement your argument but wait... You don’t need to be a racist xenophobe to have a personality; Jeremy Corbyn, Rory Stewart, John Bercow, Nick Clegg used the approach to get into office despite how much of a w**ker he is.

Common factor of these 4? They became mainstream because having 650 robots in Parliament is why British society struggle to get young adults involved in politics, which Corbyn massively achieved in by having a personality, going to Glastonbury etc.

On the flipside there is personalities who are mainstream for the wrong reasons - Nigel Farage, Jacob Rees Mogg - known for his Queen’s English use of words, that’s a personality itself - Are probably the best 2 examples. Not the pathetic list of people who yerself mentioned

Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2020 at 6:12pm

Love how everyone you listed were/are foul mouthed xenophobes to try supplement your argument but wait... You don’t need to be a racist xenophobe to have a personality; Jeremy Corbyn, Rory Stewart, John Bercow, Nick Clegg used the approach to get into office despite how much of a w**ker he is.

Common factor of these 4? They became mainstream because having 650 robots in Parliament is why British society struggle to get young adults involved in politics, which Corbyn massively achieved in by having a personality, going to Glastonbury etc.

On the flipside there is personalities who are mainstream for the wrong reasons - Nigel Farage, Jacob Rees Mogg - known for his Queen’s English use of words, that’s a personality itself - Are probably the best 2 examples. Not the pathetic list of people who yerself mentioned

Again, in your first sentence you giveaway that you treat politics as entertainment and nothing else.

You're the person saying you're going to miss the "foul mouthed xenophobe" as an MEP because he's a "personality". 

May I humbly suggets you should re-evaluate your interpretation of politics based on "personality" and entertainment and also your interpretation of what "personality" is in general.

Nigel Farage is a shameless kleptocrat and a con man who is a cancer on public discourse and that's pretty much all that needs to be said about him. He leaves literally zero positive legacy to politics whatsoever and an endless litany of negativity to society, which he'll no doubt add to in whatever shameless pro-kleptocracy role he takes on next. He should be treated and remembered in the same way Oswald Moseley is.

coyne View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2020 at 6:20pm
Originally posted by sid waddell sid waddell wrote:

Again, in your first sentence you giveaway that you treat politics as entertainment and nothing else.

Me and everyone else in my generation and below. 

If you prefer a man in a suit with the whitest of teeth and beautifully combed hair reading from a book then you're stuck in the dark ages. 

Miliband was hounded for being boring, May was hounded for being boring hence why she did that stupid ABBA Dancing Queen stunt to try and prove she wasn't a robot (it failed) 

People find the likes of Corbyn, Boris and Farage entertaining. And as mentioned before the likes of Stewart and Bercow are found the same - You can still like/dislike them, but atleast they're watchable which is their aim really, you gotta remember before Corbyn the demographics for 18-21 voters was extremely low so what they're doing is good but you can still love/hate them.

Edited by coyne - 30 Jan 2020 at 6:24pm
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2020 at 7:07pm

If you prefer a man in a suit with the whitest of teeth and beautifully combed hair reading from a book then you're stuck in the dark ages. 

Miliband was hounded for being boring, May was hounded for being boring hence why she did that stupid ABBA Dancing Queen stunt to try and prove she wasn't a robot (it failed) 

People find the likes of Corbyn, Boris and Farage entertaining. And as mentioned before the likes of Stewart and Bercow are found the same - You can still like/dislike them, but atleast they're watchable which is their aim really, you gotta remember before Corbyn the demographics for 18-21 voters was extremely low so what they're doing is good but you can still love/hate them.

I'm not sure who found Corbyn "entertaining", nor Stewart. Corbyn was consistently criticised for his lack of charisma. I and others like me liked Corbyn because of his worldview and his policies. It sure wasn't for his charisma or his personality, because he had very little of that.

Earlier you mentioned Clegg being a "personality". Sure why throw in John Major and Jeffrey Donaldson as "personalities" in that case. 

Bercow being entertaining is irrelevant, he was a serious politician who upheld the rules of parliametn rigorously and was vilified by your self-proclaimed "personalities" for it. ie. by lying, reality-inverting charlatans and kleptocrats like Johnson and Farage.

coyne View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2020 at 7:23pm

I'm not sure who found Corbyn "entertaining", nor Stewart. 

Probably the entire 18-21 demographic Sid. Hence why they went out and voted for the first time ever in their lives. It's not hard logic is it.

Was actually gonna put John Major in there, he's still remembered as the guy with an ounce of dignity in a bunch of atrocious pompous twats. Clegg was too until he knifed the entire of the vote in the back which they're still recovering from.

Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2020 at 8:16pm

I'm not sure who found Corbyn "entertaining", nor Stewart. 

Probably the entire 18-21 demographic Sid. Hence why they went out and voted for the first time ever in their lives. It's not hard logic is it.

Was actually gonna put John Major in there, he's still remembered as the guy with an ounce of dignity in a bunch of atrocious pompous twats. Clegg was too until he knifed the entire of the vote in the back which they're still recovering from.

They didn't vote for Corbyn because of his "personality". They vooted for Corbyn because the Tories were making a monumental f**k up of their lives and because he had some good policies and because he was the only alternative. 

Sadly people voted for Johnson in their droves based on "personality" - and Corbyn's lack of it was one of the reasons people didn't vote for him.

And that's how Brexit happened. "Personality", "charismatic", reality-denying charlatans like Johnson, Rees-Mogg, Farage and Banks peddling easy, hate filled answers which in reality were absolute nonsense. That's the very essence of "personality politics", "the politics of entertainment" or "the politics of spectacle", whatever you want to call it, it's all the same thing. 

They talk absolute sh*t, but, hey, they're "entertaining", so it's all a bit of fun until hate crimes rise exponentially and people are forced to leave the country and people lose their jobs and their rights.

pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2020 at 8:39pm

I'm not sure who found Corbyn "entertaining", nor Stewart. Corbyn was consistently criticised for his lack of charisma. I and others like me liked Corbyn because of his worldview and his policies. It sure wasn't for his charisma or his personality, because he had very little of that.

Earlier you mentioned Clegg being a "personality". Sure why throw in John Major and Jeffrey Donaldson as "personalities" in that case. 

Bercow being entertaining is irrelevant, he was a serious politician who upheld the rules of parliametn rigorously and was vilified by your self-proclaimed "personalities" for it. ie. by lying, reality-inverting charlatans and kleptocrats like Johnson and Farage.

I agree with you on all points, bar one. Bee cow is a horrible little apartheid supporting bigot who tried to turn the UK parliament into a further circus in the name of cheap entertainment and his own opinion on a singular issue. A typical Tory ****.
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2020 at 1:41am
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

I agree with you on all points, bar one. Bee cow is a horrible little apartheid supporting bigot who tried to turn the UK parliament into a further circus in the name of cheap entertainment and his own opinion on a singular issue. A typical Tory ****.
Bercow had a lot of downright vile and abhorrent views when he was a younger adult. 

Thankfully he seems to have repented on all of them quite some time ago, even on his membership of the Tory party. It's good to see somebody get progressively more left-wing as they get older. 

You can think what you like about him but his handling of the Brexit issue in parliament was superb. 
coyne View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2020 at 12:16pm
Boris is spending Brexit Day in Sunderland city centre Dead

The irony is that the place where he’s staying was funded by the EU
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2020 at 12:38pm

Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Bercow had a lot of downright vile and abhorrent views when he was a younger adult. 

Thankfully he seems to have repented on all of them quite some time ago, even on his membership of the Tory party. It's good to see somebody get progressively more left-wing as they get older. 

You can think what you like about him but his handling of the Brexit issue in parliament was superb. 
I thought it was embarrassing. He is still a Tory **** at worst and a liberal **** at best. ****.
coyne View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2020 at 11:04pm
Officially left the EU so.

Farage on stage to the tune of Final Countdown, sung by a Swedish band 
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2020 at 11:06pm

Officially left the EU so.

Farage on stage to the tune of Final Countdown, sung by a Swedish band 

Well, they got what they wanted.

They can own it.
Double Maxim View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2020 at 11:14pm

Boris is spending Brexit Day in Sunderland city centre Dead

The irony is that the place where he’s staying was funded by the EU
Johnson true to form full of wind at the National Glass Centre.
Double Maxim without doubt the greatest drink in the world
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 469470471472473 535>
  Share Topic