You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

UK Politics Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 464465466467468 536>
Author
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Hail Hail the Celts are here

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shoco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2019 at 4:30pm
Originally posted by Sham157 Sham157 wrote:

Originally posted by Shoco Shoco wrote:

Originally posted by Sham157 Sham157 wrote:

As I have absolutely zero interest in politics can someone explain to me

1. Is it just one seat per constituency in the north unlike here were we have 4 in Louth?

2. What is the point of voting for SF in the north when they refuse to take up their seats?

3. For those calling for a United Ireland, how do you think this is actually going to work considering we can’t afford them and it’s never going to pass peacefully? As someone who lives on the border I would vote no
Sorry Shoco, not buying this naivety. You’re re not an idiot by any stretch regardless of where you live. You know the craic. However, i will indulge it for a second.

First past the post. Simple really. CW has explained it..I think... in essence, if you like, it also doesn’t matter who you vote in (unless its DUP when the Tories are f**ked) Whoever the English electorate vote in will rule the roost. Regardless of that, SF are the original Irish Party and never sat in WM. The fact that Irish People are now attacking them over that stance is both laughable and pathetic. They stand on that, get elected on that promise, and stick to it. Imagine a political party sticking to its promises.. i understand why you find it absurd 

On your third point. A well perpetuated myth. In fact, there has been many a study carried out that would suggest the very opposite. They have been posted here previously . Anyone that thinks that an island nation such as ourselves, on the periphery in many senses, but so central in others, will not work and flourish is very wrong. Despite our horrific governments since independence, we somehow still flourish on the international stage.Imagine what we could do as a undivided nation with the right people in charge.........therein is the crux.... 

You may not buy the naivety, but it was a genuine question.
I’m not attacking SF for their stance, I just asked why people would vote for them when they won’t you represent them in WM. would a different nationalist party not be a better option then?

Your point about whoever the English vote in will rule anyway, then what is the point in SF even running or people who don’t see WM as their government voting? It seems like a contradiction. 

Whatever about the economics of it, of horseboxs point about educating myself, do either of you believe a United Ireland would pave off peacefully? I certainly don’t and would be the main reason I would vote no.

I’m not against a United Ireland, I just this the reality of it would be very different.

Out of curiosity, what concessions are you prepared to make to include unionists/loyalists in a United Ireland?

Apologies, my comment about people attacking SF and their abstentionism was not aimed at you, it was a general remark as they have been attacked from many quarters about it.

It doesn’t really matter who is voted into WM from NI and it matters even less now. Voting in WM elections is largely symbolic for many, and I include ‘both sides’ in that comment.

I believe there will be problems early on, there will likely be some violence, but it wont take long for the penny to drop that us lads down South aren’t the papist animals that they seem to think we are. In fact Id imagine that the most loyalist of areas will receive some serious financing from both governments. Remember that London cant just stroll off, there will at least be a generation of tapered funding to smooth the mess that they created some 800 years ago. 

As for concessions Im willing to make, its a complex issue I suppose and can only be properly answered when the time comes and we find out what it would take to get a UI over the line. Obvious ones are flag and anthem, yet they are the ones that have the least effect on peoples day to day lives... 

Cheers for the answer.

YOUR 3 IN A ROW LEAGUE CHAMPIONS
Shoco View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shoco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2019 at 4:34pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Sure you could use that excuse for not doing anything.

Suppose you could, but why vote for something that will most certainly bring violence?

At the end of the day, will it affect your day to day life by not having a United Ireland? I don’t imagine it will, but it could cause a lot of problems for others.

coyne View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2019 at 4:37pm
Originally posted by coyne coyne wrote:

Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

Are these the same "fools" you are caring about. 

This is where some aspects of the left are missing out.  They are speaking down to the demographic that they now feel have let them down.  First thing the labour party is listen listen and listen again and they may not like.what they hear as some.of.it may be unpalatable and they may not want to represent some people with their views. 

They haven't let them down at all, because they haven't been given a chance yet! They haven't been given a chance since 2010!

The main problem lies is that people here are so poorly educated in politics they can't distinguish the difference between a General Election and a Council Election - If the people running the city are doing a sh*t job (which they did, jailed for corruption, money laundering etc) then it's the MP and Party Leader who gets it, for some reason.
We're now at a stage where the city is ran by Liberals, with the odd seat to UKIP and Brexit Party.

Then you had the likes of Tommy Robinson making the North East his favourite of the month because of a white girl who cried rape but turned out in court she admitted it was consensual and he was never ever seen again (go figure), the region is a breeding ground for Brexit propaganda and the sh*t Boris speaks is like music to their ears while the neutral ones such as myself know it's a load of sh*t but we're almost outgunned anyhow.

Just to add - Not all of the North East is the same mind. Newcastle voted remain and their MP won by a very handsome majority, she doesn't have the Brexit problem.

Instead the only time she attends Parliament is in a Newcastle Utd football shirt is try and get the Sports Ministers to oust Mike Ashley, she don't give a f**k about anything else other than Mike Ashley but it's popular with those who live in Central Newcastle hence the large majority she got LOL
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2019 at 5:21pm
Originally posted by coyne coyne wrote:

Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

Are these the same "fools" you are caring about. 

This is where some aspects of the left are missing out.  They are speaking down to the demographic that they now feel have let them down.  First thing the labour party is listen listen and listen again and they may not like.what they hear as some.of.it may be unpalatable and they may not want to represent some people with their views. 

They haven't let them down at all, because they haven't been given a chance yet! They haven't been given a chance since 2010!

The main problem lies is that people here are so poorly educated in politics they can't distinguish the difference between a General Election and a Council Election - If the people running the city are doing a sh*t job (which they did, jailed for corruption, money laundering etc) then it's the MP and Party Leader who gets it, for some reason.
We're now at a stage where the city is ran by Liberals, with the odd seat to UKIP and Brexit Party.

Then you had the likes of Tommy Robinson making the North East his favourite of the month because of a white girl who cried rape but turned out in court she admitted it was consensual and he was never ever seen again (go figure), the region is a breeding ground for Brexit propaganda and the sh*t Boris speaks is like music to their ears while the neutral ones such as myself know it's a load of sh*t but we're almost outgunned anyhow.

I meant the voters let them.down by moving to Tory.  Thought you were politically educated:) Mr Dimbleby 
AKA pedantic kunt
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2019 at 6:17pm

Suppose you could, but why vote for something that will most certainly bring violence?

At the end of the day, will it affect your day to day life by not having a United Ireland? I don’t imagine it will, but it could cause a lot of problems for others.

I'm not concerned about violence.

The anti terror laws mean that the Garda and security forces will be able to nip it in the bud.

The Kinehans are providing more of a threat than Loyalists.

Partition was undemocratic and has failed. More importantly we might just have a better football team!

Edited by horsebox - 15 Dec 2019 at 6:19pm
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Stickittotheman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stickittotheman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2019 at 6:28pm
Bottom line- the North and so called 'red wall' voted to get brexit sorted. There is no need to over analyse for Labour. Their position was confused and convoluted. The Tories had a clear and simple message. Vote for us and all this brexit sh*te will be over by Febuary. Whether that was true or not people bought it.p
Walters coming back from an offside position but Shane Long was definitely onside- Shane Lonnggggggg.... has done it!!!!
Stickittotheman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stickittotheman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2019 at 6:34pm

So you would bow to Loyalist threats of violence? You would rather let terrorists win.
Walters coming back from an offside position but Shane Long was definitely onside- Shane Lonnggggggg.... has done it!!!!
Newryrep View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Just can't get enough of lists

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newryrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2019 at 6:38pm

Shoco - you talk about a united Ireland as if you will wake up the morning after a border poll and to everybodys surprise its a united Ireland  .

It will have been  telegraphed well in advance with incremental changes over a long period of time - think of it like boiling a frog - you increase the water temperature slowly .

Loyalist violence is a busted flush
'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941
Tony Cousins View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Cousins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2019 at 12:12pm

considering we can’t afford them

There's probably a few other counties that would contribute far less economically than the 6 counties, should we expel them from the state on the grounds that we can't afford them?
RogerMilla View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
#TEAMJAVIER #ENGANCHE

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RogerMilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2019 at 12:52pm
A United Ireland in increments is the only way. 
the disdain of the Brits for the unionists has been plain to see , let them run into our arms .
The ties with Scotland are massive, Scottish independence will cause a sea-change in mentality for many unionists. 
mcwilliams has a podcast on the economic issues which was a real eye-opener , have a listen. 

The first time the Devil made me do it. The second time I did it on my own.
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2019 at 1:04pm
Also, considering what we have seen with Brexit, is there a hard or soft option for NI and Scotland in leaving?
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2019 at 1:19pm
Originally posted by RogerMilla RogerMilla wrote:

A United Ireland in increments is the only way. 
the disdain of the Brits for the unionists has been plain to see , let them run into our arms .
The ties with Scotland are massive, Scottish independence will cause a sea-change in mentality for many unionists. 
mcwilliams has a podcast on the economic issues which was a real eye-opener , have a listen. 

Throw up a link there if you have it.

He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.
MayoMark View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The NEW angrier Freewheeler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MayoMark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2019 at 1:32pm
That McWilliams podcast is on Spotify. It's excellent.
They finally did it man... They killed my f**kin' car...
Shoco View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shoco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2019 at 2:01pm
Originally posted by Tony Cousins Tony Cousins wrote:

There's probably a few other counties that would contribute far less economically than the 6 counties, should we expel them from the state on the grounds that we can't afford them?

Not sure what they contribute to the but I'd be open to getting rid of Cork

horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2019 at 2:24pm

+1
He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.
Jackal View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jackal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2019 at 3:05pm

The people that live in Cork would appear to be happy with that.
AnCearrbhach View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnCearrbhach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2019 at 4:09pm

The most of course Smile

Aithníonn ciaróg ciaróg eile.
Bob Hoskins View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Hoskins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2019 at 2:01pm
If we took our 13 Billion taxes off Apple we could have a serious gaff party with our unionists friends. UI no problemThumbs Up
Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 464465466467468 536>
  Share Topic