You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

UK Politics Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 363364365366367 536>
Author
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2019 at 2:48pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

Originally posted by Zinedine Kilbane 110 Zinedine Kilbane 110 wrote:

Let’s say IF Northern Ireland gets cast aside and stays in the customs union until they can solve the hard border (which they can’t).

Would Scotland not want the same deal as NI?

I can see there being an extension. 
The deal makes it look like the EU won (Brit’s won’t like this) and no deal is not an option. Way too risky. 

The EU have already won, and it was a rout. Also, the UK negotiates as the UK and will bring all constituent parts with it.
Which is the single most bizarre thing about Brexit, that is not that the EU 'won', but that lots of people genuinely seemed to think that the UK could win. Even more bizarre is that so many of them think they can still 'win.
The mindset is baffling. 

100%.

It was a vast overestimation that the EU would automatically agree to favourable terms and conditions. If not, EFTA would be only too willing to accept the ‘bounty’ that comes with the UK. Again, EFTA members have their own interests.

With weeks to go, anybody apart from the hard-Brexiteers whose opinions are generally compromised, will be willing to accept almost anything to avoid it, which gives the EU even more power. The other misunderstanding is that the EU are willing to extend Article 50 without a solid reason.
Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2019 at 6:50am
Everybody confident the new ‘improved deal’ will be rejected today?

Newryrep View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Just can't get enough of lists

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newryrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2019 at 6:57am
They have threw her a morsel but the WA is still the only game in town . If Cox opinion changes it might do it
'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941
Devrozex View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Devrozex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2019 at 9:59am
Basically the only change is that Britain can now make a 'unilateral declaration' to an independent arbiter? Maybe some of the legal heads on here can confirm, but just seems they wanted to crowbar the word 'unilateral' in there somewhere as a fudge on the reality of the situation - i.e that it is essentially the exact same agreement.
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2019 at 10:02am
Will the DUP back this deal? Any comment from them yet?
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2019 at 10:08am
Originally posted by Devrozex Devrozex wrote:

Basically the only change is that Britain can now make a 'unilateral declaration' to an independent arbiter? Maybe some of the legal heads on here can confirm, but just seems they wanted to crowbar the word 'unilateral' in there somewhere as a fudge on the reality of the situation - i.e that it is essentially the exact same agreement.

Yep

• Former AG Dominic Grieve said he had received legal advice overnight that the concession ``doesn't change anything.'' "I am quite clear in my own mind it doesn't allow the U.K. to exit the backstop unilaterally,'' Grieve told
    Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
    Stickittotheman View Drop Down
    Liam Brady
    Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stickittotheman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2019 at 10:20am
    Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

Will the DUP back this deal? Any comment from them yet?

They are dilly dallying but rest assured they won't support it unless Cox says that Britain can unilaterally withdraw. I expect he won't say that and May's deal will be voted down again- possibly by 100 or so votes.
    Walters coming back from an offside position but Shane Long was definitely onside- Shane Lonnggggggg.... has done it!!!!
    Devrozex View Drop Down
    Jack Charlton
    Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Devrozex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2019 at 10:31am
    This is rather like my son winning the right to declare that it is his position that he should get more pocket money. It doesn’t mean I’ve agreed to give him more pocket money. The clue is in the word “unilateral.” The EU is not bound by this UK declaration and has, in fact, conceded nothing.” – Jonathon Freedland
    Sounds like there's not a hope of this getting through UK govt.
    Het-field View Drop Down
    Roy Keane
    Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2019 at 12:04pm
    It reminds me a bit of the debate about the legal weight of the guarantees given by the EU before the second Lisbon Treaty referendum in 2009. 

I can foresee a noticeable change in a positive way to this.
    cliffrichard View Drop Down
    Liam Brady
    Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cliffrichard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2019 at 12:06pm
    In fairness to AG Cox, he'd have been laughed out of the legal profession if he had concluded otherwise in relation to the unilateral declaration!
    Robbie Keane
    Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2019 at 12:56pm

Wheeeeeeee

Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

colemanY2K View Drop Down
    Roy Keane
    Roy Keane
    Fresh minty breath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colemanY2K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2019 at 1:12pm
    Originally posted by Devrozex Devrozex wrote:

A unilateral declaration that has to be agreed with the EU. Have you ever heard of such a farce?!?!?!?! LOL
    "One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.
    Cabra Hoop View Drop Down
    Roy Keane
    Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2019 at 1:31pm
    The bottom line is whether the Franco-German axis in the EU decide its better to have good on-going relations with the UK post brexit than a insist on a soft border in Ireland.
    It'll go down to the 12th hour and the key question is will the EU throw Ireland under the bus ?
    " BFC always gives me a laugh........ "
    Robbie Keane
    Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2019 at 1:35pm
    Not a chance. 

Het-field View Drop Down
    Roy Keane
    Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2019 at 1:41pm
    The EU will work favourably with the Irish on this. And not just because of our general compliance with the EU’s collective wishes over the years, but also because of the fundamental reasoning behind the institution, which was peace and mutual co-operation (albeit economically). They wouldn’t ever consider doing something which could undermine peace in a member region.
    Robbie Keane
    Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2019 at 1:43pm
  • #BREAKING Nissan says to stop producing Infiniti cars in UK

the_walls View Drop Down
    Jack Charlton
    Jack Charlton
    6 in a row, alive alive oh..

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_walls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2019 at 1:59pm
    The comments sections of the Daily Mail in complete meltdown LOL. This was a particular highlight towards Ireland: 

Traitors, the lot of you. Siding with your EU cronies, against your biggest trading partner - the U.K. Then again, wasn't it your leader De Valera, who allowed German U-boats to re-fuel on your West coast to help them sink the Atlantic Convoys? I wouldn't expect anything less than treachery from you lot!!

Complete nutjobs but shows you the attitude your average Brit has to Ireland. Treachery LOL
    Robbie Keane
    Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2019 at 2:01pm
    Originally posted by the_walls the_walls wrote:

The comments sections of the Daily Mail in complete meltdown LOL. This was a particular highlight towards Ireland: 

Traitors, the lot of you. Siding with your EU cronies, against your biggest trading partner - the U.K. Then again, wasn't it your leader De Valera, who allowed German U-boats to re-fuel on your West coast to help them sink the Atlantic Convoys? I wouldn't expect anything less than treachery from you lot!!

Complete nutjobs but shows you the attitude your average Brit has to Ireland. Treachery LOL

German U boats refuelling  ? WTF LOL

Lets ignore that Allied Airmen were generally allowed to "escape" over the border while German airmen were interred   

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 363364365366367 536>
      Share Topic