You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

UK Politics Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 359360361362363 535>
Author
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Fresh minty breath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colemanY2K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2019 at 3:24pm
The Spanish have been rightly stirring the pot over the past few months LOL

"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2019 at 3:28pm
Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

@Hetfield

Not sure if it's in your legal field but would the Irish (or British state in this Begum case) not reserve the right to just revoke your citizenship if it's been proven you left the country to join or assist an extremist/designated terrorist organisation such as ISIS and simply just leave you in Syria? 

Would you need to be brought back to the country for trial first?   

It’s not really my field! However, the manner in which this case has played out would suggest the discretion is left with the HS and the HO when it comes to the revocation of citizenship The Courts can then be employed in an Administrative Law capacity to determine the legality of the decision and test the facts, fairness and jurisdiction against the law.

Cheers but what is the  HS? Thumbs Up

I assume HO is the Home Office.
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2019 at 3:31pm
Yep! Home Office and Home Secretary!
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2019 at 4:03pm

Yep! Home Office and Home Secretary!

Thumbs Up
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2019 at 4:17pm

Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

You can’t have a British society that sees Mo Farah, for example, as a hero and at the same time rejects that Begum is British.
I understand citizenship is not the same as nationality, but the way it is being done, for political point scoring leaves it open to be interpreted as racist. Legally, she has an incredibly strong case, which backs this up. 

But you’ll notice that there has been very little done to champion her case from any side of the political divide, which is why I feel there is no racial aspect to this. Again, this returns it to the involvement of ISIS in this case. Also, there remains legitimate safety concerns which will have to be dispelled.

Legally, it will all come down to whether she will or will not be left stateless. The facts of that will only come out in the fullness of time as the process trundles on, however, she is being legally represented and will have due process available.
A British citizen is being treated differently because of her heritage. That is racist.They can dress it up how they want, but that is how it will feel to a lot of British Muslims, regardless of her actions. It is certainly the view of my neighbour who shares her background. (I am not sure why I mentioned it, other than I just asked him about it).
You can't embrace the good aspects of immigration in the 'big society' and simply ignore the bad aspects, aspects that could well be as a result of the massive failures of the 'big society'.

If she is a security risk, then Britain has to bring her home to face justice, not wash their hands of her. If this was merely an act against ISIS/Daesh, their citizenship would have been revoked when they left the UK, although I would have disagreed with this too, it would at least have shown a consistent policy. Here it is the worst kind of politicking, it isn't even  for Javid to decide! He is doing it to get support from sections of the media to whom everything is black or white, British or liberal. No in between. It seems like that because he is from an ethnic minority, he feels he has to show he is extra-British or something equally as nonsensical.

It should be irrelevant as to whether she is left stateless or not, it is colonialism in its worst form to just expect Bangladesh to pick up Britain's mess. All the crimes she may or may not have committed, would have been committed by a British citizen. 
Nobody knows much about her, apart from she left London to join IS and a television interview that was both unfair to the girl(regardless of whether she deserves fairness, or whether she initiated the interview, she  certainly deserves  a fair trial) and made for a bizarre trial by television that felt like a scene from Black Mirror. 
The sensible thing to have done would be to bring home to face trial under British law and make sure her son, another British citizen who is entirely innocent, gets looked after safely.

Edited by pre Madonna - 20 Feb 2019 at 4:21pm
sid waddell View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2019 at 4:35pm
Were the Balcombe Street Gang stripped of their (presumably) Irish citizenship for leaving a trail of death and destruction in their wake in England?

Was there a campaign to do so?

Should they have been?

As far as I'm aware, the correct answers are no, no and no.
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2019 at 4:54pm

You can’t have a British society that sees Mo Farah, for example, as a hero and at the same time rejects that Begum is British.
I understand citizenship is not the same as nationality, but the way it is being done, for political point scoring leaves it open to be interpreted as racist. Legally, she has an incredibly strong case, which backs this up. 

But you’ll notice that there has been very little done to champion her case from any side of the political divide, which is why I feel there is no racial aspect to this. Again, this returns it to the involvement of ISIS in this case. Also, there remains legitimate safety concerns which will have to be dispelled.

Legally, it will all come down to whether she will or will not be left stateless. The facts of that will only come out in the fullness of time as the process trundles on, however, she is being legally represented and will have due process available.
A British citizen is being treated differently because of her heritage. That is racist.They can dress it up how they want, but that is how it will feel to a lot of British Muslims, regardless of her actions. It is certainly the view of my neighbour who shares her background. (I am not sure why I mentioned it, other than I just asked him about it).
You can't embrace the good aspects of immigration in the 'big society' and simply ignore the bad aspects, aspects that could well be as a result of the massive failures of the 'big society'.

If she is a security risk, then Britain has to bring her home to face justice, not wash their hands of her. If this was merely an act against ISIS/Daesh, their citizenship would have been revoked when they left the UK, although I would have disagreed with this too, it would at least have shown a consistent policy. Here it is the worst kind of politicking, it isn't even  for Javid to decide! He is doing it to get support from sections of the media to whom everything is black or white, British or liberal. No in between. It seems like that because he is from an ethnic minority, he feels he has to show he is extra-British or something equally as nonsensical.

It should be irrelevant as to whether she is left stateless or not, it is colonialism in its worst form to just expect Bangladesh to pick up Britain's mess. All the crimes she may or may not have committed, would have been committed by a British citizen. 
Nobody knows much about her, apart from she left London to join IS and a television interview that was both unfair to the girl(regardless of whether she deserves fairness, or whether she initiated the interview, she  certainly deserves  a fair trial) and made for a bizarre trial by television that felt like a scene from Black Mirror. 
The sensible thing to have done would be to bring home to face trial under British law and make sure her son, another British citizen who is entirely innocent, gets looked after safely.

Like I said, I believe the best outcome would be for her to be brought home and identify the background behind her journey and hold those individuals to account. She undoubtedly possesses very important information which could be very useful in the fight against terrorism. Equally,I see it as the best chance of deradicalisation and potentially will incentivise her to live a “quiet life” as she will certainly be under significant watch considering her past

I’m not sure how the interview was “unfair”. She can say what she likes, or choose to say nothing. The interview could have assisted her path home, instead, she said what she said, and is rightly being held to account. This isn’t fake news, the footage is available for all to see and has been condemned in all or at least part by almost all commentators on the matter.

However, the dual nationality aspect is important in circumstances that the law permits the removal of citizenship where duel nationality exists, to avoid statelessness. This is specific to all with duel nationality and isn’t random impressed upon people.It is invokable when security risks exist. Hence, if you don’t raise security concerns, you won’t be subjected to the sanction. This is very different to windrush, and does not focus on any specific nationality or group. It is activated as a result of behaviour, rather than personal characteristics. That is secondary, and is there to avoid state’s less ness, which is undesirable.

I agree, she should be brought home and I don’t agree with the decision. But this isn’t racism, or any ism. Without her involvement with ISIS, she wouldn’t be facing the sanction. This is why Windrush was so appalling as it was entirely random and based on nothing.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2019 at 5:20pm

Like I said, I believe the best outcome would be for her to be brought home and identify the background behind her journey and hold those individuals to account. She undoubtedly possesses very important information which could be very useful in the fight against terrorism. Equally,I see it as the best chance of deradicalisation and potentially will incentivise her to live a “quiet life” as she will certainly be under significant watch considering her past

I’m not sure how the interview was “unfair”. She can say what she likes, or choose to say nothing. The interview could have assisted her path home, instead, she said what she said, and is rightly being held to account. This isn’t fake news, the footage is available for all to see and has been condemned in all or at least part by almost all commentators on the matter.

However, the dual nationality aspect is important in circumstances that the law permits the removal of citizenship where duel nationality exists, to avoid statelessness. This is specific to all with duel nationality and isn’t random impressed upon people.It is invokable when security risks exist. Hence, if you don’t raise security concerns, you won’t be subjected to the sanction. This is very different to windrush, and does not focus on any specific nationality or group. It is activated as a result of behaviour, rather than personal characteristics. That is secondary, and is there to avoid state’s less ness, which is undesirable.

I agree, she should be brought home and I don’t agree with the decision. But this isn’t racism, or any ism. Without her involvement with ISIS, she wouldn’t be facing the sanction. This is why Windrush was so appalling as it was entirely random and based on nothing.
There was nothing 'random' about Windrush. It was very, very deliberate. That is why it was appalling. Anyway, that is irrelevant here. I merely used it as an example of the institutionalised racism of the Conservative Party that is also at play here, it wasn't alike for like example. It would be mental to think so. The racist thinking is from the same place though, the bit of the Tory mindset I refer to as the 'not my problem'.

Of course it is about her behaviour, but that behaviour is of a British woman, not anything else. If she was white British with access to any other western nationality, there isn't a prayer that this would be occurring.It is racism because she isn't being treated as British, despite being British. She isn't a dual national. She has a right to Bangladeshi nationality, she has never claimed that right or expressed it, as far as anyone is aware. Bangladesh is only becoming relevant now. 

British Muslims are constantly the victim of racism and bullying that plays into the hands of extremists, this will be seen as vindication of that from the state. 
Good Muslim=British
Bad Muslim = Bangladeshi 
That is how it appears, not just to me but a large number of Bangladeshis living in Britain. 

Sure, it is her own fault,  it is here albeit one can cast doubts about the mindset of a 15 year old, but if you don't think extremists aren't going to exploit this then you are wrong. The Home Secretary is compromising British security to score cheap political points and playing to the gallery.

If Britain washes their hands of her, and Britain just ignores it and she stays in limbo and becomes re-radicalised, apologies for the clunky term, then any actions she carries out will leave a bloodstain on British hands, but I guess that's nothing new. I mean, what can by more British then going to a country you have no connection to, to fight a war for a better lifestyle. Tony Blair should adopt her!

Joking aside, it is one of the most bizarre and baffling decisions a Tory has made, and I think I am on record as stating that I struggle with their mindset at the best of times. It is absolutely staggering the arrogance and the ignorance by them here from a party founded on arrogance and ignorance. 
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2019 at 5:31pm
I meant to add, the reason there shouldn't have been a television interview is partly because of the reaction to it, it is probably the most discussed thing in Britain this week, but also because she should be facing British justice for breaking the law. Under no other circumstance would she be interviewed by the media. She should have been interviewed, privately, by a British official or representative, not the most tabloid of the BBC hacks and then broadcast.

Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2019 at 6:01pm
Windrush was the product of a baying right wing racist Twitter and online comment sections mob (which the members of the now so called Independent Group were just fine with). 

So is this. 

And Javid, as somebody of Pakistani heritage, should be fooking ashamed of himself.

It's racism, misogynism and colonial arrogance all rolled into one. Pass the buck onto a country where the woman in question has likely never even been to, and which she may be eligible for citizenship of.

But sure what would you expect from a government whose buffoon of a previous foreign secretary made comments which backed up Iran's "reasoning" for imprisoning the British citizen Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe.

I'll say this for our government - they used their influence to get Ibrahim Halawa back to Ireland when if they'd listened to online racist gobsh*tes Halawa would still be being tortured in an Egyptian prison, if not dead.

Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2019 at 6:35pm
Originally posted by sid waddell sid waddell wrote:

Windrush was the product of a baying right wing racist Twitter and online comment sections mob (which the members of the now so called Independent Group were just fine with). 

So is this. 

And Javid, as somebody of Pakistani heritage, should be fooking ashamed of himself.

It's racism, misogynism and colonial arrogance all rolled into one. Pass the buck onto a country where the woman in question has likely never even been to, and which she may be eligible for citizenship of.

But sure what would you expect from a government whose buffoon of a previous foreign secretary made comments which backed up Iran's "reasoning" for imprisoning the British citizen Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe.

I'll say this for our government - they used their influence to get Ibrahim Halawa back to Ireland when if they'd listened to online racist gobsh*tes Halawa would still be being tortured in an Egyptian prison, if not dead.

It would appear not. You would think Javid would have checked this first...

colemanY2K View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Fresh minty breath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colemanY2K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2019 at 6:35pm
Derek Hatton suspended by the Labour Party LOL
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2019 at 6:38pm
Originally posted by colemanY2K colemanY2K wrote:

Derek Hatton suspended by the Labour Party LOL
Thank f**k for that!
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2019 at 6:39pm
This tweet (link has illustrations of the text) demonstrates with incredible irony the absolute duplicitous, lying, racist dog whistling nature of the Tory government.

Throwing out their own counter-terrorism strategy for kicks.

https://twitter.com/BarristerSecret/status/1098139734176686080

This thoughtful document illustrates how to deal with a British woman who travels to join ISIS and has a baby: - Managed return to UK - Criminal investigation - Deradicalisation - Care for baby It’s the Home Office 2018 counter-terrorism strategy, foreword by Sajid Javid.

Edited by sid waddell - 20 Feb 2019 at 6:39pm
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2019 at 10:30pm
Originally posted by sid waddell sid waddell wrote:

This tweet (link has illustrations of the text) demonstrates with incredible irony the absolute duplicitous, lying, racist dog whistling nature of the Tory government.

Throwing out their own counter-terrorism strategy for kicks.

https://twitter.com/BarristerSecret/status/1098139734176686080

This thoughtful document illustrates how to deal with a British woman who travels to join ISIS and has a baby: - Managed return to UK - Criminal investigation - Deradicalisation - Care for baby It’s the Home Office 2018 counter-terrorism strategy, foreword by Sajid Javid.

WOW!
LO SCIENZIATO View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Fucknut Of The Year

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LO SCIENZIATO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2019 at 9:51am
Galloway was entertaining as ever yesterday on sky news Clap 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BaRrlblhThs

Edited by LO SCIENZIATO - 21 Feb 2019 at 9:53am
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2019 at 3:22pm

Here's a thought experiment. 

Let's make up a hypothetical case which hypothetically happened in 2015.

15 year old Lorna Kelly was born and brought up in Manchester. She's the daughter of a white Irishman, Seamus Kelly, born in Tipperary, who moved to Manchester when he was 22, and a white English woman, Louise (nee Prescott), from Didsbury, Manchester. 

The Kelly family live happily in Didsbury. Lorna is one of three siblings, the others being 18 year old Brian, who is taking his A levels this year and hopes to study engineering at the University of Manchester, and 13 year old Catherine, who has just started secondary school. 48 year old Seamus runs a successful plumbing business while his wife, 46 year old Louise, is a nurse in the NHS. Seamus and Louise's long hours at work mean that they often aren't around at home, and if they are, they're invariably tired or asleep.

As she progresses through Didsbury Comprehensive School, Lorna is suffering from what appears to be a reasonably normal case of teenage angst. She thinks she's depressed and doesn't have very high self esteem. Through school she meets Safiyah, a Muslim girl of Pakistani parentage who lives in nearby Longsight, and starts hanging around with her and her friends. 

Lorna meets Safiyah's brother Faisal, who is 18. Faisal has a controlling but charismatic personality. Lorna finds herself deeply attracted to him, the feeling is mutual on Faisal's part, and the two begin a relationship, which progresses quickly. Lorna feels that Faisal has given her something to live for.

But another part of Faisal's personality is that he has been seduced by the ideas of the Islamic State. He comes from a family who are peaceful, but are devout Muslims. He rails against the racism he has experienced in his own life, but also what he sees as the colonial exploitation by the UK, the US and others, of Muslim majority countries, not just the Iraq War but Lybia, Syria, and Palestine. He becomes radicalised by online propaganda. He's extremely angry about what is happening in Syria and feels he has to do something. He sees the 2005 London bombs, the Lee Rigby murder and other attacks like Madrid and the Charlie Hebdo massacre and the Tunisian beach massacre as justified blowback for Western colonialism against Muslims.

During the course of their developing relationship, Faisal has influenced Lorna heavily with these ideas. Lorna has never been in love before now, implicitly trusts Faisal, and what Faisal says to her about the situation in Syria resonates massively with her. Within six months, she's almost as fervent in her beliefs about what is happening in Syria as Faisal is. 

Then Faisal decides the time has come to do something. He tells Lorna he's going to Syria to fight for the Islamic State. Lorna begs him not to, but Faisal is insistent that he is going. Lorna realises she can't stop him, so the next best thing is that she can join him. 

The two go to Syria. 

Faisal believes he is fighting in a just cause. But he is ruthless, and is not afraid to kill people in a brutal fashion. 

For a while, Lorna is happy there, but gradually she becomes more and more homesick, and on the rare occasions she sees Faisal, he becomes more and more controlling and manpulative. Nevertheless, by 2017, the two have got married. Lorna is now the archetypal "Jihadi Bride".

In 2018, Lorna gives birth to her and Faisal's baby. But by now, Islamic State are losing the war, Faisal has been captured by Assad's forces, and Lorna and her new baby are living in a refugee camp in Idlib, alone and desperate. She does not speak Arabic. Lorna wants to go home to her family in Manchester. And yet, she's still not sorry she came to Syria, and still believes in the ideas that Faisal has taught her. She thinks she still loves him.

Word gets out in the UK media about her situation. Despite being entitled to an Irish passport through parentage, Lorna only holds British citizenship. It's now 2019 and Lorna is now 19. 

Back in Britain, Lorna's desperate family, who have been bereft and going through agonies since she suddenly left in 2015, make representations to their local Labour MP, to the Home Secretary Sajid Javid, and in the media, to "please bring our daughter and her baby home". 

Because the family are "respectable" and "relatable" to Middle England, their plight receives a good deal of sympathy in politics, the media and in society in general, even in traditionally Tory areas and in the Tory press.

What happens?

Does Javid say "sorry, we're revoking Lorna's British citizenship, leaving her stateless, and let her stew on her own out in Syria"? 

Does he say "oh, she's entitled to Irish citizenship, let the Irish deal with her", especially with the backdrop of the Brexit crisis?

Does he f**k.

A white girl from a nice middle class family in Manchester does not have their citizenship revoked. 

And that's how it's impossible to deny that race is a major factor in Shamima Begum having her British citizenship revoked. 

Edited by sid waddell - 21 Feb 2019 at 3:32pm
SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2019 at 3:35pm
Jeremy Corbyn has just said he thinks she should be allowed to return to the UK, incidentally.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 359360361362363 535>
  Share Topic