You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

UK Politics Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 311312313314315 535>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2018 at 11:07am
Originally posted by sid waddell sid waddell wrote:

Originally posted by SuperDave84 SuperDave84 wrote:

The problem was that they had targets to remove a set number of illegal immigrants every year. That being the case, there's an incentive to look for easy targets. The Windrush people were that - these were people who have lived in the UK for almost fifty years but have never been naturalised. Those are almost by definition people who have not left the UK in those fifty years because they have never applied for passports. Those are, therefore, just about all people who have never had the spare money to go on a foreign holiday. Therefore, they are people without the money or means to defend themselves against the power of the state. And this is all after years of swingeing cuts to legal aid across the United Kingdom.

It's not so much a manifestation of the hostile environment so much as evidence of the resurrection of the nasty party.
It never died. 
Very true, they just hid it better. As much as I hated Thatcher, the honesty then has to be appreciated.
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2018 at 4:29pm
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
coyne View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2018 at 1:36am
Local Elections painting an ugly scene of what British politics is currently like.

UKIP is dead as a party, they could only field 50 odd candidates.
Labour is crippled with the Jewish anti-semitism.
Lib Dem still irrelevant but not as irrelevant, not quite 2017 election bad but around Tony Blair era bad.
And the PM who's ranked atleast in the top 3 worst PM of all time is actually making gains.

Edited by coyne - 04 May 2018 at 1:37am
alihau41 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alihau41 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2018 at 9:26am
Originally posted by Denis Irwin Denis Irwin wrote:

https://news.sky.com/story/verhofstadt-in-world-cup-jibe-after-farage-says-belgium-is-not-a-nation-11356920

LOLClap

how farage doesn't get the head kicked off him time and time again is beyond belief
the_walls View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
6 in a row, alive alive oh..

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_walls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2018 at 11:04am
He is 100% right about Belgium but by the very same token, the UK is certainly not a nation either. 
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2018 at 12:03pm
Seems the theme from the locals in the UK is "mixed". No major shifts even if some unprecedented and interesting individual results and deviations from normal trends. 

The Greens and the Lib Dems will be satisfied, but UKIP are ever closer to the political abyss.
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2018 at 12:45pm
UKIP are done, they are more less saying it themselves. Good riddance. The Tories didn't make half as much of their disintegration as was expected though. In saying that, they didn't get as much of a shoeing that's sitting government can get, partly as a result of UKIP, of course, but I think there is a deepening air of confusion around that has led to further apathy and the Lib Dems profited. The Greens will be happy too, profiting in a way from the media witch-hunt of Corbyn for laughing at a bad joke.

Delighted and proud to still live in a Tory free city.
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2018 at 1:01pm
It'a always around these times that I struggle to get my head around why people vote for the Torys.

Gained 2 seats in the local council here which is annoying. 
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2018 at 1:03pm
Because they are ****s.
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2018 at 1:22pm
Originally posted by Borussia Borussia wrote:

It'a always around these times that I struggle to get my head around why people vote for the Torys.

Gained 2 seats in the local council here which is annoying. 

I read on the BBC website about the Labour Party losing seats in Sheffield due to some trees being cut down (obviously a bigger issue at local level than I'm making it out). At local level it can truly be about unfulfilled promises, or the demonstrable decline in services in a locality after a full election cycle. It can also be to do with weak party infrastructure, or strong party infrastructure. Or it can turn on single pork barrel style promises. 

SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2018 at 1:28pm
Sheffield is well known for its trees. Loads have cut down lately in the name of maintenance and health, and root damage, when it is more about cutting down expensive-to-maintain big trees and replacing them with saplings which will do no harm for years. The locals are up in arms.
AntrimMan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
YBIG's resident Nordy/London Hipster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AntrimMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2018 at 1:32pm
Originally posted by SuperDave84 SuperDave84 wrote:

Sheffield is well known for its trees. Loads have cut down lately in the name of maintenance and health, and root damage, when it is more about cutting down expensive-to-maintain big trees and replacing them with saplings which will do no harm for years. The locals are up in arms.

Tories in Wandsworth Council at the same thing. People are furious.

Results were disappointing for Labour though. Its a Labour MP but a Tory council. It swung a bit towards Red but by no where near what Labour were hoping for. 
@AntrimMan85
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2018 at 4:05pm
Lib Dems take the Tory heartland of South Cambridgeshire. I heard they were in trouble there but it is still a big surprise.
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2018 at 6:08pm
Originally posted by AntrimMan AntrimMan wrote:

Tories in Wandsworth Council at the same thing. People are furious.

Results were disappointing for Labour though. Its a Labour MP but a Tory council. It swung a bit towards Red but by no where near what Labour were hoping for. 

In the post-mortem, i think Labour will need to look at the wisdom of the #unseat campaign, and that may require Labour’s hierarchy dancing with the devil of political operatives and strategists. The unseat campaign smacked of being poorly thought out in terms of where the focus should be at election time. Sure it sits well with the twitter, but given that Labour have lost control of other councils up the country, and have not capitalised on tight majorities, or councils with no control, or where UKIPs vote collapsed, it is to be questioned whether the centralisation of resources in places like Wandsworth and Chelsea and Kensington was a worthwhile use of time and resources, when I suspect most political strategists would balk at the proposal.
colemanY2K View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Fresh minty breath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colemanY2K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2018 at 6:27pm
Put an X beside each of the 3 lib Dem candidates in my richmond constituency yesterday morning. Great to see the 2 Tories dumped out in my ward. 3/3 lib Dems now here and control of the overall council. 

Vince losing his seat a few years back was the kick in the hole the loval party needed.
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.
coyne View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2018 at 6:33pm
Labour got ousted in favour of Lib Dems and Tories in what's a safe Labour-Brexit stronghold here but as I've put on here numerous times over the years it's all local issues.

The Labour councillors are full on fraudsters, with a recently deceased one found guilty of corruption. 
That and other local issues such as Weekly bin collections going to monthly. So you can imagine the problems that's caused here.

I voted Lib Dem as their campaign was solely based around the rubbish problem and promising them taking back to Weekly but the Tories got 2/5 seats, Lib Dem 2/5 and 1 remaining Labour councillor.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2018 at 2:14pm
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2018 at 1:39pm
I see Tommy Robinson aka Stephen Yaxley Lennon got nicked outside Leeds Crown Court on Friday LOLClap

Edited by Denis Irwin - 28 May 2018 at 1:39pm

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 311312313314315 535>
  Share Topic