You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

UK Politics Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 248249250251252 535>
Author
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2017 at 11:23pm
I thought it would go down to the wire, but Cable it is.
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2017 at 9:53pm
Heseltine just on Sky News. Called Corbyn a extremely credible candidate for No.10 and said that May needs to go within months.
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
coyne View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2017 at 5:41pm
No more talks with the DUP until Thursday. Which means May will miss her target of getting a coalition in time for the Queen's Speech - Very high chance of it being rejected now.
colemanY2K View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Fresh minty breath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colemanY2K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2017 at 5:55pm
Ah the DUP... it'll be popcorn time when a deal is struck

http://m.independent.ie/opinion/columnists/david-mcwilliams/watching-dup-play-kingmakers-of-uk-politics-best-done-from-behind-couch-35810561.html

Edited by colemanY2K - 20 Jun 2017 at 5:56pm
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2017 at 5:57pm
@AdamBienkov
Sky News' Northern Ireland correspondent describes Theresa May's apparently botched deal with the DUP as "a quite extraordinary debacle

@AdamBienkov
Sky News says DUP have "been surprised at the [low] level of negotiating experience" in May's government. That bodes well.

That is just outstanding

Edited by Denis Irwin - 20 Jun 2017 at 5:57pm
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

coyne View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2017 at 6:08pm
Really bizarre times ahead. 

A new General Election could be announced as soon as next week. If the Tories backstab May, which is possible especially the backbenchers then the Speech gets passed onto Corbyn but he's unable to get to 326 so there's no other choice but to call a new GE.
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Fresh minty breath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colemanY2K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2017 at 6:08pm
Tbf to the DUP they are probably the sharpest negotiators in Whitehall atm. They've had plenty of experience
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2017 at 6:59pm
May would have no choice. The ability to form a Government was the only way that she could credibly claim she won the election. Failure to cobble together a government would be the end, and it may not even require backbenchers to revolt to shift her.
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2017 at 7:33pm
I hope she can cobble something together with the loyal loonballs, a few months of absolute catastrophe before resigning in disgrace would be for the long term good. 
Unfortunately, I think she is dealing days and weeks rather than months alright though.
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2017 at 7:55pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

I hope she can cobble something together with the loyal loonballs, a few months of absolute catastrophe before resigning in disgrace would be for the long term good. 
Unfortunately, I think she is dealing days and weeks rather than months alright though.

I recall Mary Harney's quip about the worst day in government always being superior to the best day in opposition. The assumption is that any deal with the DUP would be a disaster, but holding the reigns gives a lot more control over the direction of policy, and provides scope for populist policies, giveaway budgets etc, all while appeasing the DUP. And potentially making a success of it from their point of view. If it turns out to run smoothly this would actually favour the Tories, eliminate the need for an election, and allow them to work on starting the process of public amnesia over the next five years.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2017 at 8:02pm
Any deal with the DUP will be disaster and is exactly why it won't work, what it will do is show Britain what a shower of lunatics they sent over to us all those years ago and highlight the lengths the Tories will go to stay in government. 
The only danger is the damage they could do to Brexit, but it seems double Davy is making a right hash of that without any need for Arlene's help at all!

Edited by pre Madonna - 20 Jun 2017 at 8:07pm
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2017 at 8:07pm

Any deal with the DUP will be disaster and is exactly why it won't work, what it will do is show Britain what a shower of lunatics they sent over to us all those years ago and highlight the lengths the Tories will go to stay in government. 
The only danger is the damage they could do to Brexit, but it seems double Davy is making a right hash of that without any need for Arlene's help at all!

I hate using a phrase like "wait and see", but the actual deal and the lengths the Tories might go to to retain power might be enough to give such ragbag Government a degree of stability. Particularly if it is just a confidence motion. A fresh election will put an end to it one way or the other.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2017 at 8:19pm
Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

I hate using a phrase like "wait and see", but the actual deal and the lengths the Tories might go to to retain power might be enough to give such ragbag Government a degree of stability. Particularly if it is just a confidence motion. A fresh election will put an end to it one way or the other.
Any stability they might have will only bring further suffering, that is clear. They are hanging on to power by the skin of their teeth as two sets of negotiating teams fail dismally, and against a backdrop of terrorist attacks and possibly state manslaughter.
Strong and stable now seems like the most ironic piece statement ever made, I do think the longer they persevere, the more damage they do to themselves. It is a double edged sword.
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2017 at 8:31pm
But if in power they have bought themselves the ultimate bargaining chip, which is the ability to set the policy agenda, which will include populism, giveaways etc which will be designed to seek electoral absolution at some point over the next five years.

The reality is all parties that won seats, won in some aspects of the election, and lost in others, apart from UKIP who lost everything (quite the laugh!). A fresh election is the only answer.
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2017 at 9:18pm
Originally posted by colemanY2K colemanY2K wrote:

Tbf to the DUP they are probably the sharpest negotiators in Whitehall atm. They've had plenty of experience

Sharpest? I think that crowd of firebrands bigots won the lottery in happening to be currently being more than a mousefart than usual in British politics the last few weeks.

Love the fact the most right-wing gutter press have articles in reference to the DUP with questions such as 'Who are they'? .

The Unionists must be chewing their teeth that they'll never ever be viewed as British as even Thatcher seen them as 'those people'
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2017 at 12:14am
@georgeeaton
John McDonnell: "The Tories need to sort themselves, because when we get into government we will need an effective opposition."

Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2017 at 12:16am
Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

But if in power they have bought themselves the ultimate bargaining chip, which is the ability to set the policy agenda, which will include populism, giveaways etc which will be designed to seek electoral absolution at some point over the next five years.

The reality is all parties that won seats, won in some aspects of the election, and lost in others, apart from UKIP who lost everything (quite the laugh!). A fresh election is the only answer.
And lose their funding? That NHS needs to fail if they want to pay for another election!

Brilliant from McDonnell!LOL
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Fresh minty breath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colemanY2K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2017 at 12:34am
Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

Originally posted by colemanY2K colemanY2K wrote:

Sharpest? I think that crowd of firebrands bigots won the lottery in happening to be currently being more than a mousefart than usual in British politics the last few weeks.

Love the fact the most right-wing gutter press have articles in reference to the DUP with questions such as 'Who are they'? .

The Unionists must be chewing their teeth that they'll never ever be viewed as British as even Thatcher seen them as 'those people'

Ah come on themselves and sinn fein would make mince meat out of Westminster elite.

fwiw I'm really enjoying this sh*t show
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 248249250251252 535>
  Share Topic