You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

UK Politics Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 243244245246247 536>
Author
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2017 at 5:05pm
Gordon Brown wasn't at fault for his mess though. He was given the David Moyes at Utd treatment of piloting a very fast sinking ship

Theresa's mess is her fault, there's a difference.

Edited by coyne - 09 Jun 2017 at 5:06pm
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2017 at 5:06pm
Originally posted by coyne coyne wrote:

Gordon Brown wasn't at fault for his mess though. He was given the David Moyes at Utd treatment of steadying a very fast sinking sink.

A bit harsh, Cameron handed her Brexit and seems to be getting away with it!
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2017 at 5:06pm
It's a mark of May that she hasn't stepped aside. She failed in her intended outcome and is now trying to cobble together a lame excuse to remain. Only the most blinded Tories, with a blinkered view of loyalty to any leader could agree with her remaining on.
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2017 at 5:07pm

Gordon Brown wasn't at fault for his mess though. He was given the David Moyes at Utd treatment of piloting a very fast sinking ship

Not to be churlish, but whose fault was it? He was Chancellor after all.

Edited by Het-field - 09 Jun 2017 at 5:07pm
coyne View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2017 at 5:09pm
Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

Not to be churlish, but whose fault was it? He was Chancellor after all.

Tony Blair's. He was more interested in how many civilian deaths he could of get on his hands rather than focusing on what's going back home in the middle of a global recession.
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2017 at 5:11pm

Tony Blair's. He was more interested in how many civilian deaths he could of get on his hands rather than focusing on what's going back home in the middle of a global recession.

But Brown was right by his side. He was as much responsible for the failures and outcomes of that Government as Blair.
coyne View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2017 at 5:18pm

But Brown was right by his side. He was as much responsible for the failures and outcomes of that Government as Blair.

He was but Brown has nothing to do with what happens overseas. 

Tony Blair was told by a chap named Jeremy Corbyn back in 2003 "If you goto the Iraq, you will unleash hate that will affect future generations" and look how right he is! And the financial consequences was the icing on the cake. 

Edited by coyne - 09 Jun 2017 at 5:18pm
randyrandolph View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote randyrandolph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2017 at 5:23pm
she's a puppet. she's been run by a powerful right wing group within the tories since brexit. she will go when she's told. for now, operation keep corby out and await further instruction. 
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2017 at 5:48pm

He was but Brown has nothing to do with what happens overseas. 

Tony Blair was told by a chap named Jeremy Corbyn back in 2003 "If you goto the Iraq, you will unleash hate that will affect future generations" and look how right he is! And the financial consequences was the icing on the cake. 

Brown and Corbyn were totally at odds on the issue. Sure, Brown has been relatively upfront about his regret, but he still voted for it, and was in charge of the purse strings when it was being paid for. Corbyn was right about Iraq, but his views in 2003 were not shared by Brown. It would be factually incorrect to claim otherwise. Brown was responsible on a number of levels, not least on a collective cabinet basis.
. This was the type of view that was proffered in 2010 when Labour were trying to spread collective amnesia about the fact that they had been in charge for 13 years.
Drumcondra 69er View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2017 at 6:09pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

I wonder what Byrno makes of this DUP and Tory government

It depends entirely who he is when you ask him.

Fixed for you. Thumbs Up
Blog: A False First XI
Twitter: @afalsefirstxi
Facebook: A False First XI
Trigboy 10 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trigboy 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2017 at 6:15pm
Originally posted by BigStrongMan BigStrongMan wrote:

Didn't know we had so many UK political experts on here. Clever oul bunch
i know crazy isn't it!
coyne View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2017 at 6:27pm
Be interesting to hear from our SNP friend EratzThistle. Very passionate SNP supporter who's probably at a loss as much as we are what happened last night. Losses were expected but it's more to do with the manner of it, like losing the safe seats.

Angus' seat of Moray was always touted to be close, but he's Scotland's voice of Westminster
and then it gets worse,
Mr. SNP himself gets booted out also, which was considered a very safe SNP seat.

It could of gotten much worse also, Mhahri Black having a very close scare.

To me Sturgeon's position untenable, she's served her purpose now she's passed her sell by date. The soooner the SNP get back those Tory seats, the better for both England and Scotland.

Edited by coyne - 09 Jun 2017 at 6:28pm
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2017 at 6:54pm

Be interesting to hear from our SNP friend EratzThistle. Very passionate SNP supporter who's probably at a loss as much as we are what happened last night. Losses were expected but it's more to do with the manner of it, like losing the safe seats.

Angus' seat of Moray was always touted to be close, but he's Scotland's voice of Westminster
and then it gets worse,
Mr. SNP himself gets booted out also, which was considered a very safe SNP seat.

To me Sturgeon's position untenable, she's served her purpose now she's passed her sell by date. The soooner the SNP get back those Tory seats, the better for both England and Scotland.

It's something I spoke about before, but I think it is two pronged.

The SNP in Scotland are different to Westminster. In Westminster they focus more on ethereal social justice while being more pragmatic up North. Given Labour's manifesto, this meant that the SNP were not the only party in Scotland occupying this space, and Labour may have been seen as offering more. The difference between Mhairi Black's speeches in Parliament and what Labour were proposing could be interchangeable only Labour have a record in Government in Westminster behind them.

Second, Sturgeon has staked the last 12 months on Indy 2, as a means of combatting the purported downsides of Brexit, and perhaps lead Scotland into the EU. But this is at odds with the consensus in Scotland which is not overwhelmingly in favour of holding another referendum in the near future. South of the border, Sturgeon has become a one issue politician, and it's an issue that the people have spoken on, and continue to do through the polls. The New Statesman has an interesting article three weeks back about the need for her to diversify in a political way to satisfy voters. She hasn't been doing that, and the Tories looked like they were listening more clearly on the issue.

Effectively, it was the loss of its Social Justice clothes to Labour's manifesto, and having their finger off the pulse on what is relevant to Scottish voters, while hoping that Brexit would rally them to their side.
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2017 at 9:30pm

and then it gets worse,

It's something I spoke about before, but I think it is two pronged.

The SNP in Scotland are different to Westminster. In Westminster they focus more on ethereal social justice while being more pragmatic up North. Given Labour's manifesto, this meant that the SNP were not the only party in Scotland occupying this space, and Labour may have been seen as offering more. The difference between Mhairi Black's speeches in Parliament and what Labour were proposing could be interchangeable only Labour have a record in Government in Westminster behind them.

Second, Sturgeon has staked the last 12 months on Indy 2, as a means of combatting the purported downsides of Brexit, and perhaps lead Scotland into the EU. But this is at odds with the consensus in Scotland which is not overwhelmingly in favour of holding another referendum in the near future. South of the border, Sturgeon has become a one issue politician, and it's an issue that the people have spoken on, and continue to do through the polls. The New Statesman has an interesting article three weeks back about the need for her to diversify in a political way to satisfy voters. She hasn't been doing that, and the Tories looked like they were listening more clearly on the issue.

Effectively, it was the loss of its Social Justice clothes to Labour's manifesto, and having their finger off the pulse on what is relevant to Scottish voters, while hoping that Brexit would rally them to their side.
I think this, along with tactical voting ,is what cost the SNP seats
TonyNotJack View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TonyNotJack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2017 at 11:34pm

I'd rather have Lord Buckethead in charge.

I'll never forget that guy from last night 😂

Lord Buckethead's Manifesto :

coyne View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2017 at 12:18am
The beautiful missing story of the day was Labour winning Kensington, home of the Daily Mail.

The Daily Mail has a far left wing MP in their constituency, it's as good as Nick Clegg being voted out by the students. 
deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Don't ask me about car warranty

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2017 at 2:57am

@Coleman. Not being biased but I think the Labour defeat is being blown out of proportion here.

They're not going to win but I think they're capable of preventing a Tory majority.

An excellent call there Coyne, from all the way back in April, when a sizeable majority of polls were predicting a Tory landslide Clap.

So after all that, some angry Nordies who have some beliefs that even some Salafist Islamics would think backward are in charge of everything. 

Brexit- nobody still has even the slightest clue. 

Stormont- nobody has much of a clue there either, but SF seem happy enough, for the moment anyway. Some SF/SDLP commentators saying the DUP propping up the Tories might be in contravention of the GFA. Fun times ahead. Might have an adverse affect on player eligibility laws............ (just for NR)

The general UK mainland voter seems to be only discovering these shiny new, progressive DUP lads that they are now beholden to, and don't seem to recognise any idealogical traits the DUP possess in the party they voted for. Basically a single issue outfit, a bit like our own pro-illegal TV mast TD's back in the late 80's, only less capable of concentrating on any other issue. 

The DUP voters seem to be completely unaware of the fact that the Tories couldn't give less of a fcuk about NI in general, they wouldn't have called the election in the first place if they did, but the numbers add up in such a way that it can be sold to them as 'strengthening the union'. Time (and not a particularly long time) will tell. 

EU- too busy laughing, and probably wondering just how many UK governments they will have to deal with before Brexit is settled. I think maybe around 5. 

Leo & the lads- waiting to see what EU will do, but to be fair to the Irish govt, with the knowledge the EU is on their side as regards brexit, won't mind disagreeing with, or just stirring the DUP for the sake of it either when the time comes. 

Wasn't following this particularly closely, and only heard Ms May actually speaking for the first time a few weeks ago. There has been loads of negative stuff written here about Corbyn, but my first impression after listening to her was that she wouldn't get elected to a county council in this country.  Obviously clueless & deliberately ducking any issue of the slightest complexity, which is normal enough for a politician, but you have to be a good liar to carry it off. She isn't one, and her distress in answering questions, or even being put in a position that she had to answer them, was obvious. No idea whether that made a difference to the UK voter, it was just my immediate impression of her. But politicians of her experience, never mind leaders, shouldn't come across as that easily flustered. 

Hetfield made a point that most people don't watch the political TV debates, which may well be correct, but I think tis safe to say the next Tory leader going for an election will be on TV all the same, and quite often. Some seem to be putting her non appearances down to arrogance of the Tories, but I think it may well have been a bit like FG here keeping Enda off the TV as much as possible. That said, I'm being unfair to Enda there, May would make him look like a political giant of our times by comparison. 

I think I'll go back to my original point tens of pages ago, an awful lot of hassle for everyone involved mainly because Farage & the Daily Mail didn't want a few hundred Syrian refugees, and siezed on this opportunity when Cameron called his referendum. You could write dozens of pages about other issues of varying complexity, but I would take an awful lot of convincing that media led xenophobia isn't at the root of it. 

That would be the same Farage whose party hasn't got any seats today, only a short time later, which itself opens a whole new discussion about how media promotion of extreme or hard right/left views (more so right in the UK though) is a distorting influence on both politics & society. Had the likes of him not had so much media indulgence from sympathetic right wing owners motivated by little other than self interest (let's face it, their wealth is such that no particular policy of any party would have a great effect on their economic well being) would Cameron's referendum have passed, and instead of these 200 pages, we would be just talking about Labours chances in the next election, or some local by-election in the UK ?? Not that it can be proven, but I think as an alternative scenario, it isn't an outlandish one. 

Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....
Hickster74 View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hickster74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2017 at 3:07am
Headwrecker with a good summary

https://youtu.be/qsGVghRBdKI
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 243244245246247 536>
  Share Topic