You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The disgraced John Delaney

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 507508509510511 539>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2020 at 12:38pm
Yeah my poor dad on this taxi driver salary used to have to fork out for 6 tickets for every match including meaningless friendlies for the fear that you would lose your ticket for the big games through our ticket source. 

It changed when we moved to croker and at some point it was realised that actually you could pick and choose your games as tickets were now going spare. 

I think that's a very good point that going to Ireland games seems to have not caught on as much with the younger groups through the years

Edited by t_rAndy - 13 Nov 2020 at 12:39pm
Sponsored Links

Pipkin View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pipkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2020 at 1:21pm
Originally posted by irelandfan irelandfan wrote:

Good points but the great Denis o Brien Subsidised the Salaries of Trap and O Neill.

The FAI were still forking out a million or more per annum for management team salaries (up from €500k from Stan). I also imagine that costs associated with the international team rocketed after Trap was brought in. The likes of having 40 in a squad (something that was reeled back in when Mick came back and acknowledge at board level as being a strain on finances per the book), banning media from the team flight who would’ve traditionally subsidised it, having an interpreter - all indirect costs of having a big name manager. 

I am not arguing that those weren’t positive developments for irish football and the national team but there was no commercially savvyness with any decisions made. Hard to tell whether it was the hoof ball or the recession that had the bigger impact on crowds but I would say people would have been willing to go to more matches had we been playing some kind of football the last 7/8 years. None of it made financial sense.

I do find it incredible that after the crowds in 2011 at home matches (remember the nations league), an abysmal euros and a hammering at home to Germany that the board persisted with Trap in front of half empty stadia. Similar situation in 2018 and more costly to the Association.
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2020 at 2:40pm
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
theworm2345 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theworm2345 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2020 at 4:40pm
League of Ireland archive with reports back to 91/92 (goalscorers for First Division) now online, plus Twitter: twitter.com/StattoLOI
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2020 at 7:39pm
Goes beyond JD obviously, but read in the ST today that FAI didn't allow RTE use any national team footage in the JD show last week. Sounds like they're still precious about being show in a bad light.
lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2020 at 7:57pm
Originally posted by theworm2345 theworm2345 wrote:

LOL
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2020 at 8:56pm
Originally posted by lassassinblanc lassassinblanc wrote:

LOL
LOLLOLLOL
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2020 at 9:57pm

LOL

Should have put the subs in. "That gobsh*te again. Is he never off the air" 

Edited by Denis Irwin - 15 Nov 2020 at 9:58pm
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
The GerK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Razor you wanna pint?...2 minutes later

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The GerK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2020 at 3:30pm

LOLClap
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2020 at 11:18am
I think I know just the man and he has plenty of experience in Irish football as well Tongue

Edited by Denis Irwin - 17 Nov 2020 at 11:19am
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
Territorial View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2020 at 12:42am
Dunno if this is the right thread, but the FAI slipping out the Accounts on  the afternoon of the World Cup draw indicates that the Spirit of Delaney may live on for another bit...

Football Association of Ireland was €70m in red before Government-led bail-out

The Football Association of Ireland has announced a loss of €5.1million for the financial year 2019 after the association's audited accounts were approved by the current board.

In a statement released this evening, the FAI stated that as at 31 December 2019, the association had "net liabilities of €5.7million" and stated that they are continuing to work with key funders in the ongoing management of its overall financial commitments, including the €28.5m debt on the Aviva Stadium.

The accounts, audited by Grant Thornton, have been approved on a going concern basis and are said to "accurately reflect the closing position for 2019". 

The 2019 accounts included a €462,000 settlement agreed with former CEO John Delaney in lieu of €2.1m that was potentially owed under his contracts of employment.

The FAI's net current liabilities increased from €58m at the end of the restated 2018 accounts to just short of €70m (€69,745,571) at the end of 2019.

"The directors appreciate that due to the ongoing public health crisis, and the impact this is having both globally and within Ireland, together with the inherent difficulties in predicting future cash inflows and expenditure, there remains a material uncertainty in respect of going concern for the foreseeable future."

More here: https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2020/1207/1182968-fai-was-70m-in-red-before-government-led-bail-out/

Edited by Territorial - 08 Dec 2020 at 12:44am
gufct View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Trapattoni could manage me any day!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gufct Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2020 at 11:26am
11th January is the date that Jd is back in court over items he has to go through 13 boxes of documents and an external hard drive containing 270,000 emails. The Fai have claimed Privilege on 13 documents but Delaney has been dragging out the proceedings.

One City,One County,One Club GUFC will be back.
SeanyL View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeanyL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2020 at 12:25pm
It was very poor from the FAI releasing the 2019 account right after the World Cup draw. 
Stinks of old FAI when they should be trying to establish some trust with the Irish public. 
pateen View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pateen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2020 at 5:16pm
The timing never crossed my mind and to be fair I think its kinda irrelevant.
At least were getting the real figures now. In the past we would have got Delaney spin of been debt free by 2020, sort of shíte
Flying so high, trying to remember
How many cigarettes did I bring along?
When I get down I'll jump in a taxi cab
Driving through London town, to cry you a song
Wheelo View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wheelo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2020 at 5:22pm
Originally posted by pateen pateen wrote:

At least were getting the real figures now. In the past we would have got Delaney spin of been debt free by 2020, sort of shíte

Not sure how it couldn’t cross people’s minds. 

If they’re trying to change the image of fai, it was a silly thing to do. Thought these ***tish moves were gone. 
"Not surprised you are anti foreigner in your so called Kip of a town when you don’t want a manager because he is Swedish and you want big Sam in charge" - a fine post from a fine ybig poster
SeanyL View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeanyL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2020 at 8:15pm
Originally posted by pateen pateen wrote:

If not intentional it was clumsy at best. We all know it was a stunt the old regime loved to pull. We want to get away from all that. 
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2020 at 6:16am
Between the "urgency" statement after the Kenny video and the timing of the release of the accounts, they haven't covered themselves in glory lately.
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
DeclanDaly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeclanDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2020 at 7:06pm
John’s old pal Noel King has been appointed manager of the Shelbourne Women’s side. 

Throwback to his tenure as Ireland caretaker manager. Lost 3-0 away to Germany with Glen Whelan playing right wing. He made no substitutions.

Even though I don’t rate him as a manager (based on his U21 tenure) it looks like we did alright in that game. Also kind of admired him for giving some to Dunphy in the post match interview 
You asked if I'd be anyone from history, fact or fiction, dead or alive:
I said "I'd be Tony Cascarino, circa 1995"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 507508509510511 539>
  Share Topic