Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The disgraced John Delaney

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 504505506507508 539>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2020 at 11:11pm
John O'Reagan Dead
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
Sponsored Links

The White Cafu View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The White Cafu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2020 at 11:18pm
The Scottish FA CEO was excellent on it, unbelievable that he put him sitting in the corner for the meal when he came to Dublin.  
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2020 at 11:19pm
Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

Would have been interesting to see what the general reaction would've been if we conceded rather than scored immediately after that tennis ball protest (while we were playing very well) and we ended up dropping points at home. Our qualifying campaign would've been more or less finished. 

EDIT: Missed it tonight. I assume it'll be on RTE player would it?  

What if your aunty had balls? 

Would you have given up given up qualification for getting rid of Delaney if it was a straight choice? 

Whoever those fans were they deserve a pat on the back, they brought the issue to a wider audience and that’s the most important thing. 
ProudAndLoud View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProudAndLoud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2020 at 11:36pm
Should have hunted him down in London seeing that he wasn't prepared to be part of documentary. That would have been nice to watch.

Edited by ProudAndLoud - 09 Nov 2020 at 11:37pm
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2020 at 11:49pm
Originally posted by ProudAndLoud ProudAndLoud wrote:

Should have hunted him down in London seeing that he wasn't prepared to be part of documentary. That would have been nice to watch.

Roger Cook style Clap

Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2020 at 11:49pm
Nothing really added not in the public domain. some of the archives rte could add to it make it a good piece of work but for people who have followed the story and read the book, nothing really added. Tighe and Rowan really did a masterclass with the book in terms of content.  

That said, watching it really made me miss supporting ireland with fellow supporters and i really cannot wait to get back to that. Hopefully some of the stay away fans Ger referenced will br inclined to come back now JD is gone. Covid being a killer with that but if all else fails 
Road trip Canada, USA, Mexico 2026 Big smile

Tyronebhoy View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tyronebhoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2020 at 4:11am
That Healy-Rae clown is a bit of a ballix alright.
Northmen, Southmen, Comrades All
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2020 at 8:17am
Originally posted by The White Cafu The White Cafu wrote:

The Scottish FA CEO was excellent on it, unbelievable that he put him sitting in the corner for the meal when he came to Dublin.  

Unbelievable

How f**king petty and pathetic.

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2020 at 8:43am
Originally posted by BrendanD88 BrendanD88 wrote:

Still irritates me seeing Damien Duff having a go at the tennis ball protests.

Great job McHammered Clap

The editing actually does Duff a favour because it makes it seem like he was having a go at Delaney when he was actually having a go at the fans.

Without being ageist, how can an now 80-year old have been allowed to sit on the board for as long as he did. Eddie Murray looked absolutely decrepit during the Oireachtas bit, I forgot how laughable it was.

No matter how many times I'll read or watch something about it, I don't think I'll ever not be amazed by it all.
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
nvidic View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nvidic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2020 at 8:45am
Originally posted by thebronze14 thebronze14 wrote:

Originally posted by Neil Armstrong Neil Armstrong wrote:

Originally posted by Donegalman Donegalman wrote:

[QUOTE=thebronze14]Be poetic justice if Harps beat Waterford to stay up, keeping Waterford out of Europe...make watching this that bit more enjoyable seeing as he he was involved with the club before 
Oh by god it would be beautiful. Especially when that prick Power was releasing statements of support for the fecker.
[/QUOTE
You got your wish!
Harps are safe! Ollie Horgan's men pull off an unlikely escape and will play in the top flight next season. Waterford's hopes of European football are over. 
Made watching all the more enjoyableClap Our Godfather of Greed flag got a few airings, would love to know who had it the last 5 yearsLOL

Me too, couldn't believe seeing it pop again over in Gibraltar, I think it was, years after being taken from us 
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2020 at 8:45am
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Originally posted by The White Cafu The White Cafu wrote:

Unbelievable

How f**king petty and pathetic.

I'd say he fully enjoyed having his digs at Delaney during his interview, and rightly so.

John O'Reagan is an absolute gombeen.
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2020 at 8:51am
Originally posted by The Huntacha The Huntacha wrote:

Great job McHammered Clap

The editing actually does Duff a favour because it makes it seem like he was having a go at Delaney when he was actually having a go at the fans.

Without being ageist, how can an now 80-year old have been allowed to sit on the board for as long as he did. Eddie Murray looked absolutely decrepit during the Oireachtas bit, I forgot how laughable it was.

No matter how many times I'll read or watch something about it, I don't think I'll ever not be amazed by it all.

I didnt find it laughable at all. I know little about the man but felt very sorry for him - absolutely dreadful. Reprehensible from Delaney. 
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2020 at 8:57am
No new detail last night, I mainly found it interesting to put faces to names from the book, as other said, the Scottish guy was very impressive, and I couldn't believe how decrepit the treasurer was at Oireachtas.

I think Duffer got his words muddled in this one. He spends 15 seconds saying that the tennis ball protest is outrageous (which makes you think he's complaining about the fans), but then at the end of the quote he says we nearly lost a goal because of the CEO (which makes me think maybe he was referring to the CEO being outrageous). I'm trying to be kind to the lad, if he's complaining about the fans he's bang out of order.

I do feel for the underage local football people. They've all been portrayed very poorly by this whole saga, due to a few bad eggs who control the power. In reality they've been very harshly treated, it portrays them as having their hands out for crumbs from their leader, and doens't mention the pressure they were put under to sell premium tickets.
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2020 at 9:01am
I can see that point, and he was certainly hung out to dry. But you can't feel sorry for someone because of their age when they are so grossly incompetent in the role they are in.
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2020 at 9:11am
He was a senior member of the Garda too?
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2020 at 9:12am

I can see that point, and he was certainly hung out to dry. But you can't feel sorry for someone because of their age when they are so grossly incompetent in the role they are in.

Yeah and that's fair. A treasurer thinking they possessed 1 bank account Wacko

Like i said, i know little of the man or his role in the organisation but he was clearly a pawn in JDs charade. He asked no questions and let JD keep up the pretence that all was grand lads. 
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2020 at 9:16am
I assume himself and Cody were picking up a decent salary? Don't remember seeing anything in the book about it though.
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2020 at 9:35am

I assume himself and Cody were picking up a decent salary? Don't remember seeing anything in the book about it though.

They were honorary roles so not paid a salary, but there were references in the book that JD was not the only one flaunting the company credit card. 

You could imagine maybe other board members and department heads could also be implicated 

Probably can't speculate more than that as there is an investigation. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 504505506507508 539>
  Share Topic