You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The disgraced John Delaney

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 477478479480481 539>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2020 at 2:42pm
Originally posted by Slow & Blind Slow & Blind wrote:

My legal knowledge isn't great. Why would you pay legal fees when you win a case? Delaney won the defamation case and received 200k for it, why did he(The FAI) not get the legal costs awarded? 
It is the difference between a Criminal case and a Civil one.

With the former, the State brings the prosecuton against you and the penalty may include gaol, meaning that they are also obliged to provide you with a legal advocate on the State's tab.

Whereas wth a Civil matter like Defamation, it is the Plaintiff's own choice to bring the case to court and he/she must pay for any legal representation he/she employs in doing so.

With Civil cases the only remedy is financial and if you persuade the jury of the merit of your case, the Judge wll normally award damages and costs in your favour.

But sometimes the Judge will consider that while technically "defamed", the Plantiff nonetheless suffered little or no reputational damage and wll reduce the damages accordingly. And in rare cases where eg he/she considers the Plaintiff has been vexatious or opportunist in bringing the case ("taking the piss", basically), and/or is sympathetic towards the Defendant for some reason, then the Plaintff's legal costs may also be withheld.

All of which explains why so many people who feel they've been defamed by people or organisations wealthier than them are still reluctant to bring a case, even when they believe their chances of winning are high.

Unless, of course, they've got a generous employer behind them, who'll bankroll the costs and not even look to recover them in the event that the bastar..., er, their sorely defamed employee, wins.

Edited by Territorial - 14 Sep 2020 at 2:47pm
Sponsored Links

Slow & Blind View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slow & Blind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2020 at 3:35pm
Originally posted by Territorial Territorial wrote:

Originally posted by Slow & Blind Slow & Blind wrote:

My legal knowledge isn't great. Why would you pay legal fees when you win a case? Delaney won the defamation case and received 200k for it, why did he(The FAI) not get the legal costs awarded? 
It is the difference between a Criminal case and a Civil one.

With the former, the State brings the prosecuton against you and the penalty may include gaol, meaning that they are also obliged to provide you with a legal advocate on the State's tab.

Whereas wth a Civil matter like Defamation, it is the Plaintiff's own choice to bring the case to court and he/she must pay for any legal representation he/she employs in doing so.

With Civil cases the only remedy is financial and if you persuade the jury of the merit of your case, the Judge wll normally award damages and costs in your favour.

But sometimes the Judge will consider that while technically "defamed", the Plantiff nonetheless suffered little or no reputational damage and wll reduce the damages accordingly. And in rare cases where eg he/she considers the Plaintiff has been vexatious or opportunist in bringing the case ("taking the piss", basically), and/or is sympathetic towards the Defendant for some reason, then the Plaintff's legal costs may also be withheld.

All of which explains why so many people who feel they've been defamed by people or organisations wealthier than them are still reluctant to bring a case, even when they believe their chances of winning are high.

Unless, of course, they've got a generous employer behind them, who'll bankroll the costs and not even look to recover them in the event that the bastar..., er, their sorely defamed employee, wins.
Great explanation, thanks.
Drumcondra 69er View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2020 at 4:37pm
Tighe and Rowan on The Last Word on Today FM at half 5.
Blog: A False First XI
Twitter: @afalsefirstxi
Facebook: A False First XI
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2020 at 7:03am
The details being revealed are a weird combination of disgraceful but not shocking.  I am sure the general public may be shocked but anyone with an interest in football and who was on away trips would not be shocked by the largesse. It was always a case of when Rome was going to burn and how it would collapse.  

Many on here didn’t see that for whatever reason and many on here actively put the pressure on for it to happen  and fair play. 

Edited by Baldrick - 15 Sep 2020 at 7:03am
AKA pedantic kunt
GoneToShowgies View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GoneToShowgies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2020 at 9:35am
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

The details being revealed are a weird combination of disgraceful but not shocking.  I am sure the general public may be shocked but anyone with an interest in football and who was on away trips would not be shocked by the largesse. It was always a case of when Rome was going to burn and how it would collapse.  

Many on here didn’t see that for whatever reason and many on here actively put the pressure on for it to happen  and fair play. 

To be fair LOI fans were shouting it from the roof tops and singing it at games for years. Unfortunately not much notice was given. 
seanyshuffler View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
PM snitch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seanyshuffler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2020 at 9:47am
I'd like to put my hand up and say I sussed JD from the start as a spoofer.

Where do I go to claim my prize?

Looking forward to getting my hands on Champagne football on Thursday. I'm just hoping that not all the good stuff has been given away on radio interviews and pieces in the paper.
theheff1989 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton
My name badge won a prize

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theheff1989 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2020 at 9:50am
Dont think I could read Champagne football, probably just anger me.
AbuAbu View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AbuAbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2020 at 10:08am
Originally posted by Claret Murph Claret Murph wrote:

Will JD go to jail ? 

I don't think so ...............................

You might be wrong on this. A lot of the stuff that came out was disgraceful but he managed to get it signed off by the clowns on the board however transferring money to the ex girlfriend based on an invoice that seems to be a bit suspect, to say the least, and then it turns out the account it was transferred to was actually belonging to the great leaders.......

You see what always catches these lads out in the end is greed. So much of what he was getting was immoral but signed off and probably legal. But he still had to get more and to my eyes the above looks like fraud. People will say it was all fraud and morally they are right but it looks like he may have slipped up from a legal point of view with this one. 

The issues with the Director of Corporate enforcement could also see him do time.
It's not me it's you:-)
theheff1989 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton
My name badge won a prize

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theheff1989 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2020 at 10:09am
Its Ireland, he is not going to go to jail. 
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2020 at 10:46am
Originally posted by theheff1989 theheff1989 wrote:

Its Ireland, he is not going to go to jail. 

Why wouldn't he. Those at the top couldn't give two f**ks about someone like JD as much he likes to think they would. Have said it from the beginning he's the perfect sacrificial lamb
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2020 at 10:48am
Originally posted by GoneToShowgies GoneToShowgies wrote:

To be fair LOI fans were shouting it from the roof tops and singing it at games for years. Unfortunately not much notice was given. 

Totally agree and there was many of them and others on away trips who knew that this was a sh*t show and protested at various stages all the way back to San Marino away and probably before that.  
AKA pedantic kunt
gufct View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Trapattoni could manage me any day!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gufct Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2020 at 11:00am
the payment to his alleged ex will definitely get him . The invoice was done on his computer and €35,000 went straight to his account.
One City,One County,One Club GUFC will be back.
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2020 at 11:09am
Originally posted by gufct gufct wrote:

the payment to his alleged ex will definitely get him . The invoice was done on his computer and €35,000 went straight to his account.

Which bit of that are you alleging.  That she was his ex or What ?
AKA pedantic kunt
gufct View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Trapattoni could manage me any day!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gufct Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2020 at 12:16pm
well the payment was for organising the 2 England friendlies.
One City,One County,One Club GUFC will be back.
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2020 at 12:25pm

I am confused your post reads that there is a debate about whether she was an ex or not.  The word alleged is in a strange position.
AKA pedantic kunt
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2020 at 12:26pm

I am confused your post reads that there is a debate about whether she was an ex or not.  The word alleged is in a strange position.
I'm sure she was too.
Drumcondra 69er View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2020 at 12:51pm
Blog: A False First XI
Twitter: @afalsefirstxi
Facebook: A False First XI
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2020 at 12:56pm
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 477478479480481 539>
  Share Topic