You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The disgraced John Delaney

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 382383384385386 539>
Author
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eireland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2019 at 11:05pm
Originally posted by savo01 savo01 wrote:

Said a year ago it's time to create a new governing body like the Aussies did and kill off the FAI.  It will never have the trust of people again and will forever be a toxic brand.
The brand is ruined for sure. 
Sponsored Links

Pipkin View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pipkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2019 at 11:42pm
UEFA urging FAI to sell their stake in the Aviva on back of tomorrow’s Indo

What a legacy John has left Clap

Edited by Pipkin - 02 Dec 2019 at 11:43pm
Hans Moleman View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Muff: That is a lie and you are a liar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2019 at 11:52pm
Originally posted by Pipkin Pipkin wrote:

Well worth that golden handshake from the FAI after all his years of brilliant service Clap Clap Clap
"I called him an embarrassment to FIFA and to himself," .... He said 'No-one speaks to me like that'.... and I said, "well I do' and that was that."
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2019 at 11:58pm

So after just 10 years we're back to being tenants in Lansdowne

JD ClapClapClapClapClap

Edited by Denis Irwin - 02 Dec 2019 at 11:59pm
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
Strazdas View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strazdas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2019 at 12:03am
Originally posted by reddladd reddladd wrote:

It's some legacy that JD is leaving behind him. Can't even get a decent CEO to run the FAI now, such is the mess. Imagine where we'd be if he didn't 'lend' the FAI that money.

Considering the amount of money he extracted from the FAI it's somewhat ironic he got caught putting money in. 

It seems in JD and Pat Hickey, we had two very "colourful", ahem, people running sport in this country.
deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Don't ask me about car warranty

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2019 at 12:05am
Most are interpreting Foley's decision to decline the role is as a result of pressure from Government/Shane Ross, who have made it fairly clear they don't want anyone appointed who has links with the previous regime. The Ministers' public statement saying as much would appear to be confirmation of this.  Which is fair enough, I don't think too many football fans would take issue with that point of view. 

Having said that, El Governmento must be straying very close to the '' political interference in football governance'' so disliked by UEFA and FIFA by issuing these directives, or very thinly disguised directives as ''opinions''.  Maybe we'll join Russia on the naughty step and give a few years playing friendlies against them in Nizhny Novgorod and Volgograd if things get worse. 

Quite simply, it now looks like the Govt & Sport Ireland didn't go far enough with the nature of the reform. The publishing of some of the accounts as per Irish Times link posted by gufct will make things look worse again. It's very hard to avoid the conclusion that the whole thing should be ripped up and started from scratch, but the main problem with this is that the overseers, those being the Government and Sport Ireland, are only marginally more competent than the FAI, and I'm being generous there. 

Ross is only mainly doing a bit of political grandstanding, the reforms and their actual nature as to where they want the FAI to go from here remain cloudy enough. JD hid behind legal advice when asked a few tricky questions, now Ross chooses to do the same with the KOSI report. I don't see a huge difference. If he is keeping that report out of sight so the Gardai can pursue some avenues investigating criminality, that sounds grand in theory, but we know that prosecutions are unlikely in the extreme, even without seeing the report. 

Its simple enough, it then becomes a question of whether to publish report now and basically forget about anyone ever being prosecuted, or hold report and just hope someone might be. But the non-publication of the report is holding up FAI reform, so which is more important, the reform or the possible theoretical prosecution ? I'd go with the reform meself, though can obviously see why that would be unpalatable to some. 

Sport Ireland talk the talk about reform, but were happy to appoint an old mate of theirs to a key position, even one who also has links with JD from years ago, while commenting that Mooney wouldn't have been their choice because of those exact same links. Seems the only difference between the 2 is that Mooney wasn't a mate of theirs. That kind of dubious logic wouldn't exactly inspire anyone to think they are on top of their game either. 

I've no idea what's next, but that would put me in the same category as most other stakeholders. Think rather than issuing statements, it's now up to Ross & Sport Ireland to lay out a clear framework and timeline for this whole process to get underway, and pull the plug if it doesn't. There won't be any plug pulled in an election year though, so the FAI know all they are really dealing with is fairly empty rhetoric. 

Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....
deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Don't ask me about car warranty

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2019 at 12:11am

I see a bit of a problem there. That being, if the Rugby lads don't want to buy it for any particular reason, and sure why would they, it reverts to being theirs anyway in 20 years and they might want to do other things with their money in the meantime like develop some of their other facilities, who buys it ? 

There is only one possible buyer, and they know the seller is distressed financially. That'll end well, the FAI should get a great price for their share. And then have to pay the IRFU for each game they play there anyway. 

Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....
SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2019 at 12:31am
F**king hell, that would be an absolute shambles if it comes to pass. The only way (and I mean the only way) that that should be allowed to happen is on a well-defined sale and leaseback scheme with the potential to purchase back the share sold, at an agreed price (say the sale price plus 2% p/a - but the option is only open for ten years), and an agreed rent in the meantime (maybe as a share of ticket revenue per game). I wouldn't hold my breath that negotiations between the FAI and IRFU would lead to anything like that. While the IRFU have to wait 40 years (not 20) before they own the whole thing outright, there still isn't a massive incentive for them to be overly generous to the FAI, and a deal like that is not going to be in their interests, and anything less is certainly not in either the medium or long term interests of the FAI. The only way it makes sense is in the short term, and that being the case, the IRFU have them over a barrel.

I mean, the IRFU must be absolutely pissing the bed with laughter. They more or less paid off their share of the stadium when it was finished and now that it is open ten years, they are about to come into a mountain of cash when a heap of their ten year tickets renew. What better way to spend those millions than buying out a distressed FAI on the cheap, especially when the FAI will still need to use the stadium and will happily pay a million quid a time. They also have something like €40m cash on hand in the bank on their last annual report. They have something like 5,000 tickets for resale next year and they raised about €70m in 2010 when they were sold first time around. That's not a typo, it does mean they were €14,000 each on average, which is about €1,400 a year for (basically) four or five games a year. There's no way they'll be short of money to "help out" if the FAI need it.

This is such a disgraceful indictment of the financial mismanagement of the FAI over the last fifteen years, from long before the final match in the old Lansdowne Road. The IRFU are going to end up owning the place outright, paying a damn sight less than the actual cost of it (thanks to the whack of government cash that went into it), and the FAI are going to be up sh*t creek without a barrel once more. To end up having to go cap in hand back to the IRFU when we were long promised that 2020 onwards would be the debt free land of milk and honey, when instead it is back to the homelessness that pre-dated the redevelopment of the Aviva, is shocking.

If that happens, this will be JD's legacy: a hugely risky and ultimately failed ticket scheme that left the FAI with an expensive stadium project that saddled the association with debt, fifteen years of underinvestment across the country as a result, promises that it would all be worth it in the end, and a final result that actually leaves us worse off than where it all started, while JD sits on the beach with his handsome payoff, on top of the rewards he reaped for the last 15 years. Not only will the FAI no longer have the benefit of the government cash that went into the redevelopment of LR, they won't even have the benefit of ongoing exchequer funding, seeing as the lads in Leinster House seem committed to keeping that from the FAI too.

It is an absolute, unmitigated disgrace, with nothing redeeming about it whatsoever.

Edited by SuperDave84 - 03 Dec 2019 at 12:36am
Territorial View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2019 at 12:54am
Originally posted by Tribesman91 Tribesman91 wrote:

I agree, it will take decades to emerge from this crisis. I honestly believe that the IFA should be the only FA on this island. The past 100 years of the FAI have been a mess.

Yiz are like the 17 y.o. son who couldn't wait to get out of the house and make his own way in the big wide world.

Then when it's all gone tits up a decade later, he's got no job, no money, no home, no prospects and no danger of a ride, he wants to move back in with the oul fella.

This oul fella is quite happy as things are - the prodigal son can go fuc... er... try the Corporation.
gufct View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Trapattoni could manage me any day!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gufct Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2019 at 9:30am
seemingly the Fai’s income was overstated by €15m some accountant alright !
One City,One County,One Club GUFC will be back.
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2019 at 9:36am
Originally posted by gufct gufct wrote:

seemingly the Fai’s income was overstated by €15m some accountant alright !

Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
Drumcondra 69er View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2019 at 9:44am
Originally posted by deise316 deise316 wrote:

Most are interpreting Foley's decision to decline the role is as a result of pressure from Government/Shane Ross, who have made it fairly clear they don't want anyone appointed who has links with the previous regime. The Ministers' public statement saying as much would appear to be confirmation of this.  Which is fair enough, I don't think too many football fans would take issue with that point of view. 

Having said that, El Governmento must be straying very close to the '' political interference in football governance'' so disliked by UEFA and FIFA by issuing these directives, or very thinly disguised directives as ''opinions''.  Maybe we'll join Russia on the naughty step and give a few years playing friendlies against them in Nizhny Novgorod and Volgograd if things get worse. 

Quite simply, it now looks like the Govt & Sport Ireland didn't go far enough with the nature of the reform. The publishing of some of the accounts as per Irish Times link posted by gufct will make things look worse again. It's very hard to avoid the conclusion that the whole thing should be ripped up and started from scratch, but the main problem with this is that the overseers, those being the Government and Sport Ireland, are only marginally more competent than the FAI, and I'm being generous there. 

Ross is only mainly doing a bit of political grandstanding, the reforms and their actual nature as to where they want the FAI to go from here remain cloudy enough. JD hid behind legal advice when asked a few tricky questions, now Ross chooses to do the same with the KOSI report. I don't see a huge difference. If he is keeping that report out of sight so the Gardai can pursue some avenues investigating criminality, that sounds grand in theory, but we know that prosecutions are unlikely in the extreme, even without seeing the report. 

Its simple enough, it then becomes a question of whether to publish report now and basically forget about anyone ever being prosecuted, or hold report and just hope someone might be. But the non-publication of the report is holding up FAI reform, so which is more important, the reform or the possible theoretical prosecution ? I'd go with the reform meself, though can obviously see why that would be unpalatable to some. 

Sport Ireland talk the talk about reform, but were happy to appoint an old mate of theirs to a key position, even one who also has links with JD from years ago, while commenting that Mooney wouldn't have been their choice because of those exact same links. Seems the only difference between the 2 is that Mooney wasn't a mate of theirs. That kind of dubious logic wouldn't exactly inspire anyone to think they are on top of their game either. 

I've no idea what's next, but that would put me in the same category as most other stakeholders. Think rather than issuing statements, it's now up to Ross & Sport Ireland to lay out a clear framework and timeline for this whole process to get underway, and pull the plug if it doesn't. There won't be any plug pulled in an election year though, so the FAI know all they are really dealing with is fairly empty rhetoric. 

Spot on analysis. As is SuperDave's post. An absolute shambles. 

John Delaney's legacy. Outside of everything else, the fact that this clown had the opportunity to clear the debt by letting a third party take on the ten year tickets project and failed to do was a sackable offence at the time. Anyone who supported him in that decision should hang their heads in shame and head for the door. 
Blog: A False First XI
Twitter: @afalsefirstxi
Facebook: A False First XI
reddladd View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reddladd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2019 at 9:53am
Anyone see the video doing the rounds supposedly of JD at Stamford Bridge. He was looking very sheepish and didn't enjoy the attention. He'll be getting plenty of the same when he's out and about. 
I could agree with you but then we'd both be wrong.
kearney304 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kearney304 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2019 at 10:05am
Video of him at Stamford Bridge and then the tube copping a bit of abuse.

Lenny82 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lenny82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2019 at 10:05am
Any link?
gufct View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Trapattoni could manage me any day!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gufct Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2019 at 10:08am
I thought he was a lifelong Man Utd. Supporter with a sh*tload is Season Tickets.
One City,One County,One Club GUFC will be back.
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2019 at 10:37am
Originally posted by kearney304 kearney304 wrote:

Video of him at Stamford Bridge and then the tube copping a bit of abuse.

I almost felt sorry for him looking at that...almost!
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2019 at 10:42am
Originally posted by Lenny82 Lenny82 wrote:

Any link?

There is a few videos of him doing the rounds

https://www.facebook.com/LOINewsandBanter/videos/2759819817414823/

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 382383384385386 539>