Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The disgraced John Delaney

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 370371372373374 539>
Author
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Hail Hail the Celts are here

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shoco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2019 at 8:40am
Deise obviously doesn't read the utd thread or he would no not to waste his time!

YOUR 3 IN A ROW LEAGUE CHAMPIONS
Sponsored Links

9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2019 at 9:08am
Originally posted by Newryrep Newryrep wrote:

Originally posted by Hans Moleman Hans Moleman wrote:

I think it's nonsense to constantly put out there that it will cost millions in fees. If the FAI felt they had the right to fire Delaney (I'd be very confident they have), then fire him. Do not pay him off. What comes after that is on Delaney.

Everyone is predicting that Delaney will then go to court. It will go on for ages, and cost millions. What if Delaney knew the gig was up after they fire him with no payoff. What if no lawyer would see his case as winnable, or worth the risk. What if he realised he had pocketed enough during his 10 plus years as CEO in the FAI. What if without the legal arm of the FAI behind him, he didn't want such a fight.

Nobody knows what would have happened if the FAI took a hard line and fired Delaney with no payoff. Considering all these reports are coming in the next few weeks, it will be interesting to see people's take on the payoff when more skeletons are no doubt laid bare.

The FAI should have taken a hard line imo. People saying it will cost millions if they did take a hard line with no payoff, are predicting a future that quite possibly would never happen.

What if you stopped posting the same crap time and time again as if you are the most outraged poster ever and everybody else is wrong in not taking a punt on the legal route 

Hang on, so you’re telling me the more outraged you are has no bearing on the legalities of the case!? 

I outright refuse to believe this 
The GerK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Razor you wanna pint?...2 minutes later

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The GerK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2019 at 9:25am

I think it's nonsense to constantly put out there that it will cost millions in fees. If the FAI felt they had the right to fire Delaney (I'd be very confident they have), then fire him. Do not pay him off. What comes after that is on Delaney.

Everyone is predicting that Delaney will then go to court. It will go on for ages, and cost millions. What if Delaney knew the gig was up after they fire him with no payoff. What if no lawyer would see his case as winnable, or worth the risk. What if he realised he had pocketed enough during his 10 plus years as CEO in the FAI. What if without the legal arm of the FAI behind him, he didn't want such a fight.

Nobody knows what would have happened if the FAI took a hard line and fired Delaney with no payoff. Considering all these reports are coming in the next few weeks, it will be interesting to see people's take on the payoff when more skeletons are no doubt laid bare.

The FAI should have taken a hard line imo. People saying it will cost millions if they did take a hard line with no payoff, are predicting a future that quite possibly would never happen.

No one is predicting. He did go legal. He was in the process and was lawyered up. It would have cost millions.
I will repeat. It's the FAI's job to do what is best for Irish football, bit to try and maximise the damage to Delaney.  
As Deise said, no one is disagreeing with your opinion but you are letting your head rule the heart big time here.
We do know what would have happened if he was fired.  There would have been a costly legal battle. 
The steps were already in motion. What do you think has been happening the past few months?
Ecumenical Matter View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ecumenical Matter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2019 at 9:38am
Every day of the week people settle High Court proceedings, even though they are convinced that they are in the right. They do it through gritted teeth but know that its the correct call. Anyone who has been to the HC will tell you how expensive it is and how cases can turn against you. This case would have run for a long time with numerous witnesses. I would imagine that the way the board allowed JD to do what he liked and signed off his expenditure for many years would be a problem for them.  

The reported amount is probably reasonably good value to see the back of him. I would be more concerned about the lack of transparency and where we go from here. 

You need a low profile professional CEO from outside of the football family and you need properly independent directors.  It is inevitable that some of the people who come up through the ranks of Irish football and make it to the new Board will be similar to the duds on the old board and will be concerned with their own patch, so you need competent people to balance that. 

A big test will be whether Donal Conway steps down after a year and then whether the next president is qualified for the job or is a “it’s my turn” long serving football man. 
The GerK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The GerK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2019 at 9:49am
Originally posted by Ecumenical Matter Ecumenical Matter wrote:

Every day of the week people settle High Court proceedings, even though they are convinced that they are in the right. They do it through gritted teeth but know that its the correct call. Anyone who has been to the HC will tell you how expensive it is and how cases can turn against you. This case would have run for a long time with numerous witnesses. I would imagine that the way the board allowed JD to do what he liked and signed off his expenditure for many years would be a problem for them.  

The reported amount is probably reasonably good value to see the back of him. I would be more concerned about the lack of transparency and where we go from here. 

You need a low profile professional CEO from outside of the football family and you need properly independent directors.  It is inevitable that some of the people who come up through the ranks of Irish football and make it to the new Board will be similar to the duds on the old board and will be concerned with their own patch, so you need competent people to balance that. 

A big test will be whether Donal Conway steps down after a year and then whether the next president is qualified for the job or is a “it’s my turn” long serving football man. 

This is a huge issue
Bob Hoskins View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Hoskins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2019 at 10:02am
Poor Hans even when your losing 8-0 you come out with the same crap, maybe you could be the next Man United manager?

Edited by Bob Hoskins - 01 Oct 2019 at 10:02am
Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.
DUBLIN DOC View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
The F The F The FAI

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DUBLIN DOC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2019 at 10:04am
Originally posted by Bob Hoskins Bob Hoskins wrote:

Poor Hans even when your losing 8-0 you come out with the same crap, maybe you could be the next Man United manager?
Well he showed no heart when he got rid of sir Alex he would be the man LOL
Hans Moleman View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Muff: That is a lie and you are a liar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2019 at 10:14am

I'm unsure what I said that was crap. The man bankrupted the FAI and most seem to content that he is walking away with hundreds of thousands more after already bleeding the association dry for more than a decade.

I wonder will everyone be so happy after all these final reports come out, and we will probably have the FAI hiding behind a NDA instead of answering questions about who played their part in this shambles. 
"I called him an embarrassment to FIFA and to himself," .... He said 'No-one speaks to me like that'.... and I said, "well I do' and that was that."
MC Hammered View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Hammered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2019 at 10:21am

I'm unsure what I said that was crap. The man bankrupted the FAI and most seem to content that he is walking away with hundreds of thousands more after already bleeding the association dry for more than a decade.

I wonder will everyone be so happy after all these final reports come out, and we will probably have the FAI hiding behind a NDA instead of answering questions about who played their part in this shambles. 

I think this is the misunderstanding Hans. No one is happy with the situation. We're pretty much all on the same side here. We are all Terry Waite. We've been chained to a radiator for 23 hours a day and tortured for many years. Now freedom is in sight. We can't help but be relieved. Of course we want justice but being released is good enough at this point in time. 

El Puto Amo
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
The F The F The FAI

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DUBLIN DOC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2019 at 10:22am
In fairness to molexorial I agree somewhat, some of these other coonts who have signed off on this and are staying on are as complicit and have no doubt had their hand in the pie also they have just found a way to keep the wolves at bay and save their own holes also, the heat needs to ramp up on them coonts now
Drumcondra 69er View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2019 at 10:40am

Nobody is content. I don't even think the board are content or certainly elements of it. Nobody will convince me that the likes of Paul Cooke or Dave Moran will have enjoyed signing off on a payment for Delaney. I'd imagine it stuck in the craw badly.

I'd have big issues over the fact that it was released at 11.15 on a Saturday and a week before the KOSI report is due. To counter that, I imagine that the work Grant Thornton and Mazars have been doing should have flushed out anything that that will make up that report so I assume they're aware of whatever ammunition they may have had. The ODCE stuff is going to take at least another year so waiting for that wasn't a runner.

The options were to cut a deal or sack him. It's ludicrous to suggest that he wouldn't have gone down the legal route had they fired him. Aidan Eames was his legal adviser at the Oireachras hearing. Have a look at the cases he's won in the past and the people he's represented. Cutting a deal had to be given proper consideration much as it's sickening. 

I have personal experience from a previous work place that imploded in a financial scandal, I was running the union in there and had to deal with the aftermath for two years plus. The former CEO won a constructive dismissal case despite getting slaughtered himself in the  eventual judgement. And it dragged on the years. This was a multinational with a turnover many multiple of the FAI and it still had a lasting impact on trying to move on, not to mention reputationaly. These things are never as clear cut in the real world as some seem to think. 
Blog: A False First XI
Twitter: @afalsefirstxi
Facebook: A False First XI
RogerMilla View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
#TEAMJAVIER #ENGANCHE

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RogerMilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2019 at 11:34am
easy to say that the FAI should take a hard line . they have taken legal advice and made this move . 

perhaps 1 they are in cahoots with Delaney and want nothing about any transgressions to come out 

or 2 they didn't want to take the risk of going down the legal route and losing .

decide for yourself , 
personally i think its 2 with 1 being a bonus for some complicit lads , clear out the board , clear out all committees , clear the bloody lot out , this isn't the end its the beginning

The first time the Devil made me do it. The second time I did it on my own.
The GerK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The GerK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2019 at 11:39am

Jesus Christ, just stopLOL

Take a deep breath. Go read all the responses. Weigh it all up and come back and post again. 

Edited by The GerK - 01 Oct 2019 at 11:42am
Hans Moleman View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Muff: That is a lie and you are a liar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2019 at 12:01pm
I have read every bit of this thread. I've followed the story closely for months. I've known that man was a parasite for years and that Irish football was falling decades behind. I know lads on here think I exaggerate, but we are actually decades behind other European countries now due to that man and his cronies.

The fear of it costing millions doesn't change my mind. The only way for a fresh start imo was to take as hard a line as possible with all the parasites who ruined the FAI. The only way for a fresh start was to have 100 percent openness in everything that has happened to and gone wrong over the past decade. By rewarding parasites we are doing the opposite of starting afresh, we are continuing on the disgusting culture that has broken the FAI. 

No doubt we will be blocked numerous answers around what has gone on also now with the NDA signed off. This on top of rewarding Delaney for running the FAI into the ground.

No need for me to take a deep breath. I'm all good. I'd be a lot better though of the 'new' FAI wasn't looking a worse setup than the 'old' FAI.

Btw, why do people think this payoff was sorted just before 4 independent board members came into the FAI? Why was this payoff sorted a week or so before a few audit reports were due out?
"I called him an embarrassment to FIFA and to himself," .... He said 'No-one speaks to me like that'.... and I said, "well I do' and that was that."
reddladd View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reddladd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2019 at 12:02pm
That is the problem. Delaney had everyone in his pocket so it's a case of who goes with him if/when he goes down. Those who were complicit got enough for themselves to keep their noses out of it and not upset the apple cart. Delaney being the bully that he is also kept people quiet.

While it's great to see him gone from the FAI it is bittersweet and my wish is that in a parallel universe he would have to pay back a lot of the money he misappropriated (stole) and/or spent some time avoiding the soap on the shower room floor.  
I could agree with you but then we'd both be wrong.
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2019 at 12:44pm

I have read every bit of this thread. I've followed the story closely for months. I've known that man was a parasite for years and that Irish football was falling decades behind. I know lads on here think I exaggerate, but we are actually decades behind other European countries now due to that man and his cronies.

The fear of it costing millions doesn't change my mind. The only way for a fresh start imo was to take as hard a line as possible with all the parasites who ruined the FAI. The only way for a fresh start was to have 100 percent openness in everything that has happened to and gone wrong over the past decade. By rewarding parasites we are doing the opposite of starting afresh, we are continuing on the disgusting culture that has broken the FAI. 

No doubt we will be blocked numerous answers around what has gone on also now with the NDA signed off. This on top of rewarding Delaney for running the FAI into the ground.

No need for me to take a deep breath. I'm all good. I'd be a lot better though of the 'new' FAI wasn't looking a worse setup than the 'old' FAI.

Btw, why do people think this payoff was sorted just before 4 independent board members came into the FAI? Why was this payoff sorted a week or so before a few audit reports were due out?

Ah here don't be so hard on yourself, no one thinks anything of the sort.

Legally, they haven't a leg to stand on due to his financial misuses being signed off by board members. Is this right? No. Is it criminal. Likely, no.

As much as it will hurt everyone, it's one we are going to have to take on the chin. Now will you go back to the United thread and see how big of a haul you can get.
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
The F The F The FAI

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DUBLIN DOC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2019 at 12:50pm
Originally posted by The Huntacha The Huntacha wrote:

Ah here don't be so hard on yourself, no one thinks anything of the sort.

Legally, they haven't a leg to stand on due to his financial misuses being signed off by board members. Is this right? No. Is it criminal. Likely, no.

As much as it will hurt everyone, it's one we are going to have to take on the chin. Now will you go back to the United thread and see how big of a haul you can get.
Nooooo keep him off there for a while Queen Vag is creaming in my y fronts over there Wink
SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2019 at 1:10pm

See, this is a different argument to the one you made before and actually has some merit.

For example, there are plenty of organisations out there who simply do not settle personal injury claims, even if they are seemingly meritorious, unless they are absolutely stonewall claims. The reason for that is to dissuade those at the more spurious end of the scale. And the thing is, it does work. Because solicitors know who those organisations are, they are less likely to recommend taking claims against them. If you have a reputation for having an absolutely hard-denial approach to claims, you are less likely to be sued. Those claims you lose might cost you more than if you'd settled, but with less claims to begin with and less claims settled, you might well end out on top.

In this case, a similar approach might have had its merits. However, an approach like that depends on one key thing: you have to be able to afford to lose a claim or two, now and again, as the price for the approach. To put it another way, it makes sense if you are dealing with a decent number of claims and the maths make sense. When you are only dealing with one claim though, the numbers become very different. In that case, the risk is not so much losing one or two claims from a large number of claims, with only a tiny risk of losing them all, but the risk is losing one claim in a way which costs you an absolute fortune.

It does not make sense to fight a case where a defeat could be challenging to the liquidity and solvency of the entire organisation. In paying off Delaney, the FAI were not only avoiding a risk of having to pay him more, they were avoiding the risk of bankrupting the association. In that case, there are more benefits when asking whether it was a price worth paying in the context of the claim. There's also no doubt Delaney knew that, which makes it more galling, but it doesn't change the fundamental calculation from the FAI's side.

If the FAI were flush with cash, yes, they could afford to take the chance and afford to sack him and deal with whatever challenges come. There's no doubt that it might have been preferable, even if they lost, given the benefit of catharsis and the benefit of showing others that what happened was not acceptable. However, they are not flush with cash. In a hypothetical world, it might have been worth it, but in the real world, the long term interests of the FAI are best served by the course that keeps them in business. That's the cold reality of it.

The timing is a separate matter of course and we'll have to wait and see what the reports say before making any sweeping statements on it, but on the basis of what we currently know and have reason to suspect, it is safe to say that the decision made does not fly in the face of reason nor does it appear to be against the long term interests of the FAI.

Edited by SuperDave84 - 01 Oct 2019 at 1:12pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 370371372373374 539>
  Share Topic