Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

RTE Panel

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4546474849>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2022 at 11:33pm
Originally posted by BabbsBalls BabbsBalls wrote:

Where's Brian Kerr ?

Working for Del Monte.  Squeezing that head of his to make lemon juice
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
Sponsored Links

Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2022 at 9:07am
RTE have completely changed their attitude. It was 4 grumpy old men, replicating the "watching it in the local" atmosphere. Much like the newer generation don't sit at the bar, they also don't want to watch drunk lads analysing WC games and cursing their way through it. I'm sure most of us would prefer it, but lets be fair, the old panel were far past it. We're remembering the good auld days of 20 years ago.

With regards the new panel, I don't find it entertaining either, but are there other analysts out there they could have got? Didi, Brady, Sadlier are good IMO, Cunningham and Duff aren't my cup of tea but presumable pass the "they played at a standard" checkbox. Kelly can at least talk which is more than most ex-pros. I enjoy Crawley and Stewy Byrne on comms, Fenlon not so much for me.

On the ladies side, we all know it's forced, but it's the world we live in. "See it to Be it" and all that. We need ANY female anaylsys now, so that we have good ones in 10 years time. Lisa Fallon is the best but I haven't seen her yet on TV.

Before you bash my take, let me know if there are really better analysts that RTE could have got.

Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2022 at 9:17am
If your idea of a pundit is to tell you something about a game that you didn't already know such as a tactical observation etc then Lisa Fallon and Karen Duggan are very good at that.
I couldn't really care less about some old players who has been barely done any research just banging out a few cliches just to cover the fact that they've done no research. 
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2022 at 10:28am
Rte sport don’t promote a culture of strong opinions.  It’s why the rugby gaa and football panels have all changed and are now drab affairs.  It’s not even about who the panellists are.  It’s what sort of tone is encouraged from the top.  Ironically sky has become more opinionated to a point with Keane and Carragher and Souness and Neville.  
AKA pedantic kunt
Given's zimmerframe View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Given's zimmerframe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2022 at 12:03pm
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

Rte sport don’t promote a culture of strong opinions.  It’s why the rugby gaa and football panels have all changed and are now drab affairs.  It’s not even about who the panellists are.  It’s what sort of tone is encouraged from the top.  Ironically sky has become more opinionated to a point with Keane and Carragher and Souness and Neville.  
I noticed this too, sky sports seemed to switch to/copy the old rte set up and rte seemed to switch to/ copy the older sky sports bland never admit a match was crap 90s set up.
doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2022 at 12:25pm
Then one thing RTE always had going for them was the good panels. Now thats all gone they have nothing. They make no tv worth talking about. Oh wait i tell a lie..how many other programmes can we milk out of making/designing/talking about houses. Thats it. Bland bland bland. And if anyone said anything even remotely touching controversy the presenter must apologise ASAP or be given 20 lashes before their next gig. Uuugh
I love beer gardens
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2022 at 12:41pm
Yep Sky around 2010 was boring as f**k. First off Richard Keys. Brutal presenter. Guests would be Jamie Eedknapp every week and some other lad wearing a 3 piece suit and slick haircut.  They would be sitting in a studio talking bland sh*te.  Nownits the best panelnon tv. Carra, Neville and Keane.  I thinknI preferred Ed Chamberlain to Dave Jones but not much in it.

BBC awful. RTE awful.

I dont like the tokenism of having a female panelist just to tick a PC box.  Lisa Fallon is the best of them and I like Alex Scott but some of them like Karen Carney on sky or Stephanie Roche are boring imo.
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2022 at 1:10pm
Didi is a good pundit. Says it how it is.

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Saint Tom View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saint Tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2022 at 1:13pm
Another issue is the broadcast quality on rte.

Over Freesat your getting bbc and itv with crisper picture and 5.1 Dolby sound. The requirements of saorview of rubbish by comparison. Low quality stereo Audio and but even hd bar rte 1 and 2.
My destination inchicore my next stop being kilmainham
Where patriots and super saints are the topics of conversation
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2022 at 1:38pm
Originally posted by Borussia Borussia wrote:

If your idea of a pundit is to tell you something about a game that you didn't already know such as a tactical observation etc then Lisa Fallon and Karen Duggan are very good at that.
I couldn't really care less about some old players who has been barely done any research just banging out a few cliches just to cover the fact that they've done no research. 

Cawley tells me stuff that just isnt actually happening, he's awful, the worst of the lot. His glorification of Evan Ferguson during the first leg of the U21 play off when Ferguson was having an absolute nightmare was just ridiculous, it was like he wasnt even watching the game, but had decided what he was going to say beforehand, cannot listen to him since. 

Some of the women, much like the men are ok - I think we expect more from them cos they are new tbf. We already know half the men arent up to it anyway. Hamann's an arse but he's amusing, Sadlier is so far up his own hole, it's untrue, but he's also amusing! Brady should know more than he does - do the research man! At least the women seem like they are trying to do the research beforehand.
Idah Dream!
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2022 at 1:55pm
Originally posted by Saint Tom Saint Tom wrote:

Over Freesat your getting bbc and itv with crisper picture and 5.1 Dolby sound. The requirements of saorview of rubbish by comparison. Low quality stereo Audio and but even hd bar rte 1 and 2.

Agree. They've really gone to the dogs. 
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2022 at 2:05pm

Try watching the secondary match on the RTE News channel.
By Jaysus, like watching Mexico 86, without the good bits.
E2016 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote E2016 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2022 at 3:04pm
Originally posted by FrankosHereNow FrankosHereNow wrote:

Should just be honest and say you don’t respect women’s opinions on football.

Arsenal Wenger and Jose Mourinho never played elite level football. I guess they’re not up to the required level for RTE pundits either:

I'd give managers who won multiple premier leagues and champions leagues a pass on footballing knowledge.

What an absolute mare you've had here. LOL
Saint Tom View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saint Tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2022 at 3:48pm
Originally posted by Fozz Fozz wrote:

I'm using a DNS proxy which unblocks BBC iPlayer and watching games in 4k on that. So much better.
My destination inchicore my next stop being kilmainham
Where patriots and super saints are the topics of conversation
sausy View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
MAYO FOR SAM

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sausy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2022 at 4:04pm
Originally posted by Fozz Fozz wrote:

Don't know how they don't offer that channel in HD. Might look ok on the old 14" portable if anyone still has one!
Bimbos Burgers - "Official Sponsor of the Irish Squad"
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2022 at 4:20pm
Originally posted by Shedite Shedite wrote:

RTE have completely changed their attitude. It was 4 grumpy old men, replicating the "watching it in the local" atmosphere. Much like the newer generation don't sit at the bar, they also don't want to watch drunk lads analysing WC games and cursing their way through it. I'm sure most of us would prefer it, but lets be fair, the old panel were far past it. We're remembering the good auld days of 20 years ago.

With regards the new panel, I don't find it entertaining either, but are there other analysts out there they could have got? Didi, Brady, Sadlier are good IMO, Cunningham and Duff aren't my cup of tea but presumable pass the "they played at a standard" checkbox. Kelly can at least talk which is more than most ex-pros. I enjoy Crawley and Stewy Byrne on comms, Fenlon not so much for me.

On the ladies side, we all know it's forced, but it's the world we live in. "See it to Be it" and all that. We need ANY female anaylsys now, so that we have good ones in 10 years time. Lisa Fallon is the best but I haven't seen her yet on TV.

Before you bash my take, let me know if there are really better analysts that RTE could have got.

Don't get the abuse Kelly gets at all, people seem to get wound up by his minor lisp rather than what he actually says, which is usually decent enough analysis.
We're decent enough..
Bandwagon View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2022 at 4:36pm
Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

Don't get the abuse Kelly gets at all, people seem to get wound up by his minor lisp rather than what he actually says, which is usually decent enough analysis.

Seems like a nice chap but he comes across as a bit dim, the points he makes are always stating the obvious. Never really offers any insight or interesting points. Hes not the worst on co comms but in studio hes poor, just agrees with everything, never offers and counter arguments or an opinion of his own. His analysis and tactical insight is very basic too for an ex professional who played at the level he did for as long as he did.
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2022 at 4:39pm
Originally posted by Bandwagon Bandwagon wrote:

Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

Seems like a nice chap but he comes across as a bit dim, the points he makes are always stating the obvious. Never really offers any insight or interesting points. Hes not the worst on co comms but in studio hes poor, just agrees with everything, never offers and counter arguments or an opinion of his own. His analysis and tactical insight is very basic too for an ex professional who played at the level he did for as long as he did.

Knew Stephen from seeing him around Maynooth. His girlfriend went to college there. Can confirm she was the brains of the operation.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4546474849>
  Share Topic