Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

RTE Panel

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4445464748 49>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2022 at 10:37pm
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

RTE panel a far cry from the entertaining fab 4.

Its absolutely brutal now.  The panelists are sh*te. As are the presenters.
RTE should get Tommy Martin.  Virgin have moved way ahead of RTE.  How times have changed when they used to have Trevor Welch and Noel King.

I'd watch ITV if I could but with poxy Virgin Media and cant get it. WTF is that about?Confused

I don't like every channel deliberately having a women on almost every panel now.  Way too PC.

You lost me at Tommy Martin. Its bad enuf. I dont watch the panels really anymore. Boring and bland as fook. I catch bits and pieces from all the stations. ITV has probably the best overall coverage IMO
I love beer gardens
Sponsored Links

Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2022 at 10:45pm
Don’t watch the panels much anymore either 
I’d probably only go out of my way to listen to Keane, Sounness and Neville of all the World Cup pundits 
Cabra Hoop View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2022 at 10:46pm
Bring back Brendan O'Reilly, Liam Nolan and Don Givens
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "
hoofy View Drop Down
Phil Babb
Phil Babb

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoofy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2022 at 11:36pm
Punditry across all of the channels has gone to stale sh*te. It's not just the abysmal female pundits being shoved in everyone's faces most of the new younger male ex-pro pundits can't analyse, can't communicate and are afraid to say anything unconventional. The days of pens being flipped around are not coming back
Artie Ziff View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Artie Ziff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2022 at 3:46am
RTE 2 isn't working so I had to endure Alan Shearer as a co commentator. That was very difficult.
Ally McCoist is starting to annoy me more and more as well.

I'm finding myself turning off the games straight away after matches. It's the same crap over and over again. Let's look at this peno decision Sleepy

Edited by Artie Ziff - 29 Nov 2022 at 3:48am
It would damage this forums' reputation
DubLife View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DubLife Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2022 at 8:42am
IM sick to death of Stephanie Roache on telly.
SeanC View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeanC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2022 at 8:03pm
Unfortunately we going to have to get used to listening to Stephanie- she scored one Sunday league goal in front of 12 people years ago and now rte wheel her out for every soccer occasion. Seems sound girl but don’t try convince me she’s played at elite level.

Gone are the days RTE had great sport panels.

I’m stuck with RTE so have no other choice, I actually think the two female presenters are excellent (Joanne Cantwell is superb) as is Collins. But the “expert” panelists & Co-commentators are poor.

IMO best of current crop are Didi & Sadlier. Ray Houghtan best Co-com. Duffer & Doyle seem to be permanently sighing when they analyse. The girls (Roche etc) shouldn't be there because they never played elite level and I’m assuming that’s still the criteria for being an expert on the panel? Note all the lads have played to a good pro level with maybe exception of Alan Cawley, Stu Byrne & Pat Fenlon but they all spent time in UK and played highest level at home.

Edited by SeanC - 30 Nov 2022 at 8:13pm
FrankosHereNow View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
I like Klopp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankosHereNow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2022 at 8:24pm
Should just be honest and say you don’t respect women’s opinions on football.

Arsenal Wenger and Jose Mourinho never played elite level football. I guess they’re not up to the required level for RTE pundits either:
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row
Sheedy11 View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sheedy11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2022 at 8:30pm
Originally posted by FrankosHereNow FrankosHereNow wrote:

Should just be honest and say you don’t respect women’s opinions on football.

Arsenal Wenger and Jose Mourinho never played elite level football. I guess they’re not up to the required level for RTE pundits either:

You seriously mean to suggest that Stephanie Roche of Peamount United is of the the same level of profile as Arsène Wenger and José  Mourinho?

That's genuinely your opinion?
Mr. Snrub View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Snrub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2022 at 8:39pm
Do George & Ray realise Poland are through as it stands. 

They haven't mentioned it once, good christ Embarrassed

Edited by Mr. Snrub - 30 Nov 2022 at 8:39pm
"Here's Robbie Keane...... yeeeessss! That is no more than Ireland deserve!"
B6 6HE View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote B6 6HE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2022 at 9:28pm
Originally posted by DubLife DubLife wrote:

IM sick to death of Stephanie Roache on telly.

Shes not the worst by any means

Keeps it simple.

Scissors Kick View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scissors Kick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2022 at 9:37pm
Originally posted by Mr. Snrub Mr. Snrub wrote:

Do George & Ray realise Poland are through as it stands. 

They haven't mentioned it once, good christ Embarrassed

They hadn't a clue throughout and when I cut to the other match they in turn did not realise a Mexico goal after the Saudi one would also do. 

Terzino View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Terzino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2022 at 9:57pm
The analysis has become as bland as any English station. (RTÉ coverage of all sport, not just football, has increasing become rubbish.)

Dunphy would often talk nonsense, but he realised it was a form of entertainment. Now analysis exists as filler between ever longer ad breaks.

Getting ex-pros to talk football is largely pointless. Most of them don't care about the game beyond their own limited career. So they just talk in clichés and most seem uncomfortable on live TV, which is understandable.

Dunphy was more of a journalist, while Giles was more than just a player, as he had been a manager too.

For decent analysis, you need articulate journalists and managers, and enough time for them to make a point. Ex-pros are not up to it.
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2022 at 10:07pm
Not sure it's been mentioned yet but a woman, Stephanie Frappart, is going to officiate a World Cup game for the first time - Germany v Costa Rica.
BabbsBalls View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BabbsBalls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2022 at 10:20pm
Where's Brian Kerr ?
l hear you are a racist now, father ?
Sheedy11 View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sheedy11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2022 at 10:24pm
I think a good pundit has to have reasonable communication skills, yes, but also personality, insight or gravitas. Or, ideally, a combination of the above.

Brady aside, RTÉ's line-up has none of these attributes. Just a bunch of blandies, chosen, I assume, because they are uncontroversial, cheap and/or tick the 'right' boxes.

I mean Stephen Kelly... FFS, what can you even say?
tetsujin1979 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tetsujin1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2022 at 11:12pm
Originally posted by BabbsBalls BabbsBalls wrote:

Where's Brian Kerr ?
Working for a company that doesn't have rights to any games 
All goals, red & yellow cards posted on mastodon and facebook
doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2022 at 11:24pm
Listen they cud just put in 4 daleks now and it would ne more entertaining. Bland as fook esp RTE. I like Didi though. Absolute borefest. 
I love beer gardens
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4445464748 49>
  Share Topic