You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

RTE Panel

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 46474849>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2022 at 5:08pm
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

Rte sport don’t promote a culture of strong opinions.  It’s why the rugby gaa and football panels have all changed and are now drab affairs.  It’s not even about who the panellists are.  It’s what sort of tone is encouraged from the top.  Ironically sky has become more opinionated to a point with Keane and Carragher and Souness and Neville.  
Sadlier is about the strongest of opinions they have there, but there usually isn't anyone to challenge him like to old days. brady about the only one who'd get in an argument with him
Sponsored Links

t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2022 at 5:36pm
Women are annoying to listen to in general. Anyone who is married should know that. 
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2022 at 6:16pm
Originally posted by t_rAndy t_rAndy wrote:

Women are annoying to listen to in general. Anyone who is married should know that. 
Doesn't help that most Irish women sound like Janice from Friends now, especially when they have drink on board.
ProudIrish View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProudIrish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2022 at 9:34pm
Originally posted by Hotlips_Hoolahan Hotlips_Hoolahan wrote:

Originally posted by Bandwagon Bandwagon wrote:

Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

Originally posted by Shedite Shedite wrote:

RTE have completely changed their attitude. It was 4 grumpy old men, replicating the "watching it in the local" atmosphere. Much like the newer generation don't sit at the bar, they also don't want to watch drunk lads analysing WC games and cursing their way through it. I'm sure most of us would prefer it, but lets be fair, the old panel were far past it. We're remembering the good auld days of 20 years ago.

With regards the new panel, I don't find it entertaining either, but are there other analysts out there they could have got? Didi, Brady, Sadlier are good IMO, Cunningham and Duff aren't my cup of tea but presumable pass the "they played at a standard" checkbox. Kelly can at least talk which is more than most ex-pros. I enjoy Crawley and Stewy Byrne on comms, Fenlon not so much for me.

On the ladies side, we all know it's forced, but it's the world we live in. "See it to Be it" and all that. We need ANY female anaylsys now, so that we have good ones in 10 years time. Lisa Fallon is the best but I haven't seen her yet on TV.

Before you bash my take, let me know if there are really better analysts that RTE could have got.

Don't get the abuse Kelly gets at all, people seem to get wound up by his minor lisp rather than what he actually says, which is usually decent enough analysis.

Seems like a nice chap but he comes across as a bit dim, the points he makes are always stating the obvious. Never really offers any insight or interesting points. Hes not the worst on co comms but in studio hes poor, just agrees with everything, never offers and counter arguments or an opinion of his own. His analysis and tactical insight is very basic too for an ex professional who played at the level he did for as long as he did.

Knew Stephen from seeing him around Maynooth. His girlfriend went to college there. Can confirm she was the brains of the operation.

Totally unfair. I was in school with Stephen and he was very academic and if it wasn’t football would have no doubt excelled academically. 
Here we go again, we're on the road again
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2022 at 9:46pm
Originally posted by ProudIrish ProudIrish wrote:

RTE have completely changed their attitude. It was 4 grumpy old men, replicating the "watching it in the local" atmosphere. Much like the newer generation don't sit at the bar, they also don't want to watch drunk lads analysing WC games and cursing their way through it. I'm sure most of us would prefer it, but lets be fair, the old panel were far past it. We're remembering the good auld days of 20 years ago.

With regards the new panel, I don't find it entertaining either, but are there other analysts out there they could have got? Didi, Brady, Sadlier are good IMO, Cunningham and Duff aren't my cup of tea but presumable pass the "they played at a standard" checkbox. Kelly can at least talk which is more than most ex-pros. I enjoy Crawley and Stewy Byrne on comms, Fenlon not so much for me.

On the ladies side, we all know it's forced, but it's the world we live in. "See it to Be it" and all that. We need ANY female anaylsys now, so that we have good ones in 10 years time. Lisa Fallon is the best but I haven't seen her yet on TV.

Before you bash my take, let me know if there are really better analysts that RTE could have got.

Don't get the abuse Kelly gets at all, people seem to get wound up by his minor lisp rather than what he actually says, which is usually decent enough analysis.

Seems like a nice chap but he comes across as a bit dim, the points he makes are always stating the obvious. Never really offers any insight or interesting points. Hes not the worst on co comms but in studio hes poor, just agrees with everything, never offers and counter arguments or an opinion of his own. His analysis and tactical insight is very basic too for an ex professional who played at the level he did for as long as he did.

Knew Stephen from seeing him around Maynooth. His girlfriend went to college there. Can confirm she was the brains of the operation.

Totally unfair. I was in school with Stephen and he was very academic and if it wasn’t football would have no doubt excelled academically. 

Ah yeah, I'm sure he is. She was very intelligent though.
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2022 at 9:51pm

Absolutely. I remember he gave some very good interviews back when he was playing about the subtle racism himself and his dad faced due to being mixed race, and his dad overcoming a challenging upbringing in general. Clearly a fairly articulate person.
We're decent enough..
ProudIrish View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProudIrish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2022 at 10:33pm
lovely fella . Never the greatest footballer but nicer guy you couldn’t meet . His missus was a nice girl too - with each other about twenty years too . Helga . If she was that intelligent she wouldn’t have been in maynooth £
Here we go again, we're on the road again
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2022 at 10:36pm

lovely fella . Never the greatest footballer but nicer guy you couldn’t meet . His missus was a nice girl too - with each other about twenty years too . Helga . If she was that intelligent she wouldn’t have been in maynooth �£
Are you the guy that claims to intimately know every second Irish national team player? Dublin isn't that small!
BabbsBalls View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BabbsBalls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2022 at 10:57pm
Seems like a decent lad alrignt.

Would prefer someone more argumentative as a pundit though.

Edited by BabbsBalls - 01 Dec 2022 at 10:57pm
l hear you are a racist now, father ?
planning View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Football version of Comical Ali.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote planning Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2022 at 11:27pm
RTE have a wide range of panelists. From players who have a collection of trophies and medals, such as Hamann and Brady, to box tickers such as Roche whose sole achievement is scoring a goal for Peamount United in front of about 20 people. That apparently qualifies her to a starring role on the Irish punditry circuit. 

Then there's the ex 2FM DJ presenter who believes that the time of Klopp is coming to an end, and Doyler who believes that Klopp will be gone from Liverpool in 2024 as originally planned. 

It makes Roy Keane and his on air screeching competitions with his fellow pundits, seem a refreshing alternative. 
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2022 at 1:18am
Originally posted by planning planning wrote:

RTE have a wide range of panelists. From players who have a collection of trophies and medals, such as Hamann and Brady, to box tickers such as Roche whose sole achievement is scoring a goal for Peamount United in front of about 20 people. That apparently qualifies her to a starring role on the Irish punditry circuit. 

Then there's the ex 2FM DJ presenter who believes that the time of Klopp is coming to an end, and Doyler who believes that Klopp will be gone from Liverpool in 2024 as originally planned. 

It makes Roy Keane and his on air screeching competitions with his fellow pundits, seem a refreshing alternative. 
Keano talks the talk and walks the walk.
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2022 at 5:48am
Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

Originally posted by Saint Tom Saint Tom wrote:

Another issue is the broadcast quality on rte.

Over Freesat your getting bbc and itv with crisper picture and 5.1 Dolby sound. The requirements of saorview of rubbish by comparison. Low quality stereo Audio and but even hd bar rte 1 and 2.

Agree. They've really gone to the dogs. 

That's strange. I watch the games on RTE because I find the sound better than BBC and the picture brighter. I find that even a loud crowd can sound subdued on BBC. ITV's broadcast quality is better than BBC's too. Could be just my dodgy box though.
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2022 at 10:23am
Maybe I'm talking out of my honey loop but I think the commentary is a second or two ahead of the action on RTE.
Artie Ziff View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Artie Ziff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2022 at 6:40pm
If the commentary is a fraction out you're aware of it. If it's ever 1-2 seconds ahead the tv channel is switched immediately as it's unwatchable. 

So the issue is your tv or dodgy box or whatever but it certainly isn't RTE.

It would damage this forums' reputation
nordlingen View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nordlingen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2022 at 7:44pm
Originally posted by Mr Brick Mr Brick wrote:

Originally posted by planning planning wrote:

Keano talks the talk and walks the walk.
nordlingen View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nordlingen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2022 at 7:52pm
good man planning.....
so Stephanie Roche's only achievement was ....that goal...?

You must have missed the bit where she played for Asptt Albi in France..Houston Dash USA...Sunderland FC England...Florentia in Italy...and of course two stints with Peamount Utd where she scored over 80 goals including five in Champions League Qualifiers....
Oh I almost forgot 55 caps and 13 goals for Ireland.....
Bandwagon View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2022 at 8:13pm
Originally posted by nordlingen nordlingen wrote:

good man planning.....
so Stephanie Roche's only achievement was ....that goal...?

You must have missed the bit where she played for Asptt Albi in France..Houston Dash USA...Sunderland FC England...Florentia in Italy...and of course two stints with Peamount Utd where she scored over 80 goals including five in Champions League Qualifiers....
Oh I almost forgot 55 caps and 13 goals for Ireland.....

She flopped at all those to be fair.
zizu Kilbane View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zizu Kilbane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2022 at 8:43pm
Joey Ndo ✌️
"Sometimes, sh*t happens, someone's gotta deal with it, and who ya gonna call?"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 46474849>
  Share Topic