RTE Panel

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 49>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
planning View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Football version of Comical Ali.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote planning Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2022 at 11:27pm
RTE have a wide range of panelists. From players who have a collection of trophies and medals, such as Hamann and Brady, to box tickers such as Roche whose sole achievement is scoring a goal for Peamount United in front of about 20 people. That apparently qualifies her to a starring role on the Irish punditry circuit. 

Then there's the ex 2FM DJ presenter who believes that the time of Klopp is coming to an end, and Doyler who believes that Klopp will be gone from Liverpool in 2024 as originally planned. 

It makes Roy Keane and his on air screeching competitions with his fellow pundits, seem a refreshing alternative. 
Sponsored Links

BabbsBalls View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BabbsBalls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2022 at 10:57pm
Seems like a decent lad alrignt.

Would prefer someone more argumentative as a pundit though.

Edited by BabbsBalls - 01 Dec 2022 at 10:57pm
l hear you are a racist now, father ?
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2022 at 10:36pm
Originally posted by ProudIrish ProudIrish wrote:

lovely fella . Never the greatest footballer but nicer guy you couldn’t meet . His missus was a nice girl too - with each other about twenty years too . Helga . If she was that intelligent she wouldn’t have been in maynooth �£
Are you the guy that claims to intimately know every second Irish national team player? Dublin isn't that small!
ProudIrish View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProudIrish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2022 at 10:33pm
lovely fella . Never the greatest footballer but nicer guy you couldn’t meet . His missus was a nice girl too - with each other about twenty years too . Helga . If she was that intelligent she wouldn’t have been in maynooth 🤣
Here we go again, we're on the road again
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2022 at 9:51pm

Originally posted by Hotlips_Hoolahan Hotlips_Hoolahan wrote:

Originally posted by Bandwagon Bandwagon wrote:

Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

Originally posted by Shedite Shedite wrote:

RTE have completely changed their attitude. It was 4 grumpy old men, replicating the "watching it in the local" atmosphere. Much like the newer generation don't sit at the bar, they also don't want to watch drunk lads analysing WC games and cursing their way through it. I'm sure most of us would prefer it, but lets be fair, the old panel were far past it. We're remembering the good auld days of 20 years ago.

With regards the new panel, I don't find it entertaining either, but are there other analysts out there they could have got? Didi, Brady, Sadlier are good IMO, Cunningham and Duff aren't my cup of tea but presumable pass the "they played at a standard" checkbox. Kelly can at least talk which is more than most ex-pros. I enjoy Crawley and Stewy Byrne on comms, Fenlon not so much for me.

On the ladies side, we all know it's forced, but it's the world we live in. "See it to Be it" and all that. We need ANY female anaylsys now, so that we have good ones in 10 years time. Lisa Fallon is the best but I haven't seen her yet on TV.

Before you bash my take, let me know if there are really better analysts that RTE could have got.

Don't get the abuse Kelly gets at all, people seem to get wound up by his minor lisp rather than what he actually says, which is usually decent enough analysis.

Seems like a nice chap but he comes across as a bit dim, the points he makes are always stating the obvious. Never really offers any insight or interesting points. Hes not the worst on co comms but in studio hes poor, just agrees with everything, never offers and counter arguments or an opinion of his own. His analysis and tactical insight is very basic too for an ex professional who played at the level he did for as long as he did.

Knew Stephen from seeing him around Maynooth. His girlfriend went to college there. Can confirm she was the brains of the operation.

Totally unfair. I was in school with Stephen and he was very academic and if it wasn’t football would have no doubt excelled academically. 

Absolutely. I remember he gave some very good interviews back when he was playing about the subtle racism himself and his dad faced due to being mixed race, and his dad overcoming a challenging upbringing in general. Clearly a fairly articulate person.
We're decent enough..
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2022 at 9:46pm

RTE have completely changed their attitude. It was 4 grumpy old men, replicating the "watching it in the local" atmosphere. Much like the newer generation don't sit at the bar, they also don't want to watch drunk lads analysing WC games and cursing their way through it. I'm sure most of us would prefer it, but lets be fair, the old panel were far past it. We're remembering the good auld days of 20 years ago.

With regards the new panel, I don't find it entertaining either, but are there other analysts out there they could have got? Didi, Brady, Sadlier are good IMO, Cunningham and Duff aren't my cup of tea but presumable pass the "they played at a standard" checkbox. Kelly can at least talk which is more than most ex-pros. I enjoy Crawley and Stewy Byrne on comms, Fenlon not so much for me.

On the ladies side, we all know it's forced, but it's the world we live in. "See it to Be it" and all that. We need ANY female anaylsys now, so that we have good ones in 10 years time. Lisa Fallon is the best but I haven't seen her yet on TV.

Before you bash my take, let me know if there are really better analysts that RTE could have got.

Don't get the abuse Kelly gets at all, people seem to get wound up by his minor lisp rather than what he actually says, which is usually decent enough analysis.

Seems like a nice chap but he comes across as a bit dim, the points he makes are always stating the obvious. Never really offers any insight or interesting points. Hes not the worst on co comms but in studio hes poor, just agrees with everything, never offers and counter arguments or an opinion of his own. His analysis and tactical insight is very basic too for an ex professional who played at the level he did for as long as he did.

Knew Stephen from seeing him around Maynooth. His girlfriend went to college there. Can confirm she was the brains of the operation.

Totally unfair. I was in school with Stephen and he was very academic and if it wasn’t football would have no doubt excelled academically. 

Ah yeah, I'm sure he is. She was very intelligent though.
ProudIrish View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProudIrish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2022 at 9:34pm

Here we go again, we're on the road again
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2022 at 6:16pm
Originally posted by t_rAndy t_rAndy wrote:

Women are annoying to listen to in general. Anyone who is married should know that. 
Doesn't help that most Irish women sound like Janice from Friends now, especially when they have drink on board.
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2022 at 5:36pm
Women are annoying to listen to in general. Anyone who is married should know that. 
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2022 at 5:08pm
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

Rte sport don’t promote a culture of strong opinions.  It’s why the rugby gaa and football panels have all changed and are now drab affairs.  It’s not even about who the panellists are.  It’s what sort of tone is encouraged from the top.  Ironically sky has become more opinionated to a point with Keane and Carragher and Souness and Neville.  
Sadlier is about the strongest of opinions they have there, but there usually isn't anyone to challenge him like to old days. brady about the only one who'd get in an argument with him
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2022 at 4:39pm

Bandwagon View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2022 at 4:36pm

The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2022 at 4:20pm

We're decent enough..
sausy View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
MAYO FOR SAM

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sausy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2022 at 4:04pm
Originally posted by Fozz Fozz wrote:

Originally posted by Saint Tom Saint Tom wrote:

Another issue is the broadcast quality on rte.

Over Freesat your getting bbc and itv with crisper picture and 5.1 Dolby sound. The requirements of saorview of rubbish by comparison. Low quality stereo Audio and but even hd bar rte 1 and 2.

Try watching the secondary match on the RTE News channel.
By Jaysus, like watching Mexico 86, without the good bits.

Don't know how they don't offer that channel in HD. Might look ok on the old 14" portable if anyone still has one!
Bimbos Burgers - "Official Sponsor of the Irish Squad"
Saint Tom View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saint Tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2022 at 3:48pm
Originally posted by Fozz Fozz wrote:

Over Freesat your getting bbc and itv with crisper picture and 5.1 Dolby sound. The requirements of saorview of rubbish by comparison. Low quality stereo Audio and but even hd bar rte 1 and 2.

I'm using a DNS proxy which unblocks BBC iPlayer and watching games in 4k on that. So much better.
My destination inchicore my next stop being kilmainham
Where patriots and super saints are the topics of conversation
E2016 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote E2016 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2022 at 3:04pm
Originally posted by FrankosHereNow FrankosHereNow wrote:

Should just be honest and say you don’t respect women’s opinions on football.

Arsenal Wenger and Jose Mourinho never played elite level football. I guess they’re not up to the required level for RTE pundits either:

I'd give managers who won multiple premier leagues and champions leagues a pass on footballing knowledge.

What an absolute mare you've had here. LOL
Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2022 at 2:05pm

irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2022 at 1:55pm

Agree. They've really gone to the dogs. 
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 49>
  Share Topic