You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Underage squads: Best Prospects

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 325326327328329>
Author
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maccatacca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2024 at 2:41pm
Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

Fraser not in the 21's squad so is presumably gone, at least it's sorted early.

Someone should let Tom Cannon know that there's yet another striker ahead of him in the England pecking order.

Edited by Maccatacca - 14 Mar 2024 at 2:44pm
Sponsored Links

Razors left peg View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Razors left peg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2024 at 2:43pm
If Carsley names Fraser in u21s tomorrow that'll be telling
Dont argue with stupid people, they'll only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.
SC92 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SC92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2024 at 3:08pm
Ah well shame about Fraser. He's only had a few u19 caps so hardly entrenched in our setup we stopped picking him a few years ago so not surprising he never got too attached.

Do wonder how we rarely seem to keep dual nationals other countries of a similar level seem to have a much better record of it.
Godzilla View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Godzilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2024 at 3:13pm
Originally posted by SC92 SC92 wrote:

Ah well shame about Fraser. He's only had a few u19 caps so hardly entrenched in our setup we stopped picking him a few years ago so not surprising he never got too attached.

Do wonder how we rarely seem to keep dual nationals other countries of a similar level seem to have a much better record of it.

We don't fast track them early like Wales and Northern Ireland do. They'll cap you at 16-18.

Plus, a lot of our fans don't seem to like the idea anyway. You often see lads complaining about it on here.

We often pick up Brits who have aged out of U21 international football or who have given up on a senior cap.
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2024 at 3:26pm
Originally posted by Godzilla Godzilla wrote:

We don't fast track them early like Wales and Northern Ireland do. They'll cap you at 16-18.

Plus, a lot of our fans don't seem to like the idea anyway. You often see lads complaining about it on here.

We often pick up Brits who have aged out of U21 international football or who have given up on a senior cap.

No doubt we lack proactiveness in this respect - I'd guess if Fraser had been in the first couple of squads he'd still be there now, but again that's no guarantee that he'd go on to play at senior for us. It's a calculsted risk, but when the risk was leaving out Kenny or Carty and bringing him in I'd suggest it's a fairly low stakes bet.
We're decent enough..
SC92 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SC92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2024 at 3:31pm

But tbh it seems like even if we did try to cap them early they would be more likely to say no. Plenty of other countries have dual nationals born in England and seems to take less convincing. I'm not too fussed a kid who has had a few u19s caps I'm not going to be that bothered about that just a curious trend.

As much as I like Fraser (from a Wolves perspective) he hasn't proved that much apart from a few cup goals and being the only striker in the building at Wolves so he isn't at a must tie down level anyway. Would be shocked if he got anywhere near the england u21 set up unless they are picking squads to stop Ireland taking players. 
Badgersboys9 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Badgersboys9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2024 at 3:33pm

Apart from Bradley, who has been fast tracked into those squads that would/could of made it into the seniors of their respective dual country?

Not necessarily disagreeing with you, just genuinely curious?
Bandwagon View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2024 at 3:34pm

But tbh it seems like even if we did try to cap them early they would be more likely to say no. Plenty of other countries have dual nationals born in England and seems to take less convincing. I'm not too fussed a kid who has had a few u19s caps I'm not going to be that bothered about that just a curious trend.

As much as I like Fraser (from a Wolves perspective) he hasn't proved that much apart from a few cup goals and being the only striker in the building at Wolves so he isn't at a must tie down level anyway. Would be shocked if he got anywhere near the england u21 set up unless they are picking squads to stop Ireland taking players. 

This is it.

O'Mahoney and Umeh have been doing better than Fraser at PL2 level and both have been in match day squads for Brighton and Palace in the Premier League, would there be the same clamor to get them into the senior side if either Palace or Brighton had an injury crisis like Wolves and they got a run out? Dont think so.
SC92 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SC92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2024 at 3:42pm
Originally posted by Bandwagon Bandwagon wrote:

This is it.

O'Mahoney and Umeh have been doing better than Fraser at PL2 level and both have been in match day squads for Brighton and Palace in the Premier League, would there be the same clamor to get them into the senior side if either Palace or Brighton had an injury crisis like Wolves and they got a run out? Dont think so.

Fraser was injured and then hasn't really played PL2 games when he did at the start of the season he scored. If there wasn't an injury crisis he would of been on loan so you can't compare records tbf. You can't guarantee any of these lads are going to make it is my point. If he wants to play for Ireland then fine but other than that he's just a kid with a few u19 caps.
SC92 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SC92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2024 at 3:48pm
Originally posted by Badgersboys9 Badgersboys9 wrote:

Apart from Bradley, who has been fast tracked into those squads that would/could of made it into the seniors of their respective dual country?

Not necessarily disagreeing with you, just genuinely curious?

A few of the wales lads like Johnson, Brooks, Ampadu and James were quite highly rated at the point they started getting Wales call ups. With hindsight you can say not senior England quality but good enough for youth teams yet committed to Wales. Even Charles for NI as a well regarded man city youth player could of had England youth call ups. It seems like our dual nationals are less inclined to commit to us that's what makes me curious. 
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Badgersboys9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2024 at 3:54pm
Fraser declined a call up as he "was afraid to get injured".
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2024 at 3:59pm
Leave that one off so. He's been involved little with us anyway so no great loss.
We're decent enough..
SC92 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SC92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2024 at 3:59pm

Where is that from? 

That's a reasonable expectation as a Wolves player particularly one who is benefitting from said injury crisis. So maybe he hasn't decided against us yet we'll have to see... Either way we have some good options so all is okay.

Edited by SC92 - 14 Mar 2024 at 4:01pm
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Badgersboys9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2024 at 4:01pm

Where is that from? 

That's a reasonable expectation as a Wolves player particularly one who is benefitting from said injury crisis. So maybe he hasn't decided against us yet we'll have to see...
Yeah I can't really blame him.

Maccatacca View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maccatacca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2024 at 5:25pm
The main takeaway from me on Fraser at this particular moment in time is the following:

"With the U21s, it would have been a different challenge. That’s what he says, I respect it. He did say he wanted to be considered for future international camps. In June we will have a couple of friendly games, so if all things go well he might be included in that. That’s all I can say on Nathan. Of course we would love to have him, but it is an opportunity for someone else to show what they can do at this level."
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2024 at 5:35pm
It's the right call. Let him get his feet under the table at Wolves and call him up in June. Given his lack of games in an Ireland shirt he likely would have gotten a few minutes off the bench at best anyway. If June rolls around and there's an another excuse then it's bye bye and move on.

Edited by J89 - 14 Mar 2024 at 5:49pm
Eoink21 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eoink21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2024 at 5:43pm
Where have we heard this one before... 
SC92 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SC92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2024 at 5:51pm
Given the Wolves injury situation it's a pretty reasonable excuse. Being first team ready over the next few months could really affect the trajectory of his career. Even the Irish born lads would do the same in that situation I'm sure so we can cut him some slack tbh

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 325326327328329>
  Share Topic