You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Underage squads: Best Prospects

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 304305306307308 329>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2023 at 7:48pm
It's definitely easier in a case like Moore's where he hasn't played competitively for the north. Once any of these lads play competitively for the north at under 17, under 19 or under 21, they've put themselves in a position where any switch to us is final.

Looking at the depth or emerging talent we have coming through compared to the north there's no question senior international football is going to be a long shot with us, compared to with them. Probably the best thing they can do is one of these two things:

1. Don't take any competitive caps from NI at the early age groups - if there is interest from Ireland go with us initially, NI will then still be there as a fallback for lads that don't make the grade with us.
or
2. Take the competitive underage caps for the north but, if preference is to play for Ireland, refuse any competitive senior caps until they're out of age group football. At that point they'll have a better idea what their prospects are and whether they're likely to be good enough to make it with us.

Probably Conor Bradley should have done one of those. He's facing into a long international career now in a team that looks like it will be very poor and within an organisation that doesn't want to reflect the identity of people like him. When he actually may well have been good enough to play for us in time.

It's definitely a different decision process for the nationalist lads in the north though, there's no point pretending otherwise.

Edited by You Tell Me - 07 Feb 2023 at 7:51pm
Sponsored Links

Badgersboys9 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Badgersboys9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2023 at 8:40pm
Originally posted by Green Cockade Green Cockade wrote:

Trying to make sense of that last paragraph. Anyone playing for NI is normally Irish, or a granny ruler, even if they have British passports.

Sorry, thought it was quite self explanatory. I'm saying that the vast majority who have accepted a senior competitive cap for NI would not identify as being Irish, i.e British or as you pointed out, no affiliation to Ireland be it North or South. The few fellas, that came from a Catholic/Nationlist etc background that have excepted a senior competitive cap would have known it would of been an extremely long shot that they would of been capped by Ireland and/or had no issues playing for the North.

Originally posted by Eoink21 Eoink21 wrote:

You don't think there have been many Irish fellas playing for the North? Or just none of the standard that would be good enough for Ireland, underage and senior? I think GC is right in that regard. There is pragmatism at play. Even among underage set ups Daithi McCallion (am I allowed to say who his mother is i.e. an SF politician) is with NI. I have no idea if he is good enough for ROI but I can't imagine NI is his first choice.

I'm specifically talking about senior competitive caps and see above reply to GC.

Mr. Snrub View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Snrub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2023 at 8:47pm
Can someone check on Terri Wink
"Here's Robbie Keane...... yeeeessss! That is no more than Ireland deserve!"
Badgersboys9 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Badgersboys9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2023 at 8:52pm
Ah don't.
10 Box View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 10 Box Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2023 at 9:45pm
Originally posted by pateen pateen wrote:

Originally posted by 10 Box 10 Box wrote:

Ollie O'Neill loan to Derry. Good move.

The Fulham lad?

Yep that's him
zizu Kilbane View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zizu Kilbane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2023 at 9:59pm
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

It's definitely easier in a case like Moore's where he hasn't played competitively for the north. Once any of these lads play competitively for the north at under 17, under 19 or under 21, they've put themselves in a position where any switch to us is final.

Looking at the depth or emerging talent we have coming through compared to the north there's no question senior international football is going to be a long shot with us, compared to with them. Probably the best thing they can do is one of these two things:

1. Don't take any competitive caps from NI at the early age groups - if there is interest from Ireland go with us initially, NI will then still be there as a fallback for lads that don't make the grade with us.
or
2. Take the competitive underage caps for the north but, if preference is to play for Ireland, refuse any competitive senior caps until they're out of age group football. At that point they'll have a better idea what their prospects are and whether they're likely to be good enough to make it with us.

Probably Conor Bradley should have done one of those. He's facing into a long international career now in a team that looks like it will be very poor and within an organisation that doesn't want to reflect the identity of people like him. When he actually may well have been good enough to play for us in time.

It's definitely a different decision process for the nationalist lads in the north though, there's no point pretending otherwise.

He's still young enough to be in with a shout of winning caps for the unified team after partition is ended in the next 10 years 
"Sometimes, sh*t happens, someone's gotta deal with it, and who ya gonna call?"
Nialler View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nialler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2023 at 3:00am
Originally posted by Nialler Nialler wrote:

Nice being able to subcontract out our coaching work.
I am literally saying it is nice LOL
We are broke so it is a penny saver!
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2023 at 9:49am
The north don't seem to have quite given up yet anyway.

Feels like a very Northern Irish response to the situation somehow. No doubt they'll have O'Neill phoning him now telling him all sorts about senior callups.

He'd be stupid to pick the north at this point though, given that he can go with us and still play for them down the line if it comes to it.

Edited by You Tell Me - 08 Feb 2023 at 9:50am
TheNumber6 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheNumber6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2023 at 10:13am
How they expect any lad from a nationalist background to stand for that anthem is beyond me. 
Green Cockade View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Cockade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2023 at 11:08am
Steven Beacom broke the news in the Belfast Telegraph about the FAI’s interest in Sean Moore. Yesterday he was crediting Tom Mohan for taking a personal interest from an early stage and showing more initiative than his northern counterparts. Maybe his source is somewhere in Tom’s camp. I would be surprised if Michael O’Neill did not try to intervene now but hopefully Sean has already made his mind up. The sky will be the limit for him when he goes to the PL and reaps the benefits of full-time training as a professional footballer.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2023 at 11:37am
I'm sure Michael will be telling him that the bogeymen from the south are trying to lead him astray and the only sensible way forward for him as a northerner is to proudly raise his head towards the flag for God Save the King at Windsor Park.

horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2023 at 11:59am
The comments in the BelTel are certainly interesting.

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2023 at 12:08pm
Originally posted by Green Cockade Green Cockade wrote:

Steven Beacom broke the news in the Belfast Telegraph about the FAI’s interest in Sean Moore. Yesterday he was crediting Tom Mohan for taking a personal interest from an early stage and showing more initiative than his northern counterparts. Maybe his source is somewhere in Tom’s camp. I would be surprised if Michael O’Neill did not try to intervene now but hopefully Sean has already made his mind up. The sky will be the limit for him when he goes to the PL and reaps the benefits of full-time training as a professional footballer.

Don't think he'd accept a call up to our training camp if his mind wasn't made up. Why open himself up to the abuse if he were only gonna come in to train and then play with NI.
Mr. Snrub View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Snrub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2023 at 12:20pm
This chap has the potential to be the next Mikey Johnston!
"Here's Robbie Keane...... yeeeessss! That is no more than Ireland deserve!"
Heimatklange View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heimatklange Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2023 at 12:35pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Examples?
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2023 at 12:38pm
Originally posted by Heimatklange Heimatklange wrote:

Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Examples?

Sean and the FAI are bigots, sectarian and stealing players etc..

They have multiple articles on Sean Moore - they keep pedaling the same article looking to stir the pot.

Edited by horsebox - 08 Feb 2023 at 12:40pm
He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2023 at 12:41pm
That, incredibly and ironically, is the general view of us held by fans of their team.

They genuinely think we're the bigots.LOL
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2023 at 12:45pm
The funny thing is the poster is usually the one with a sash around their neck.

Tiresome reading.
He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 304305306307308 329>
  Share Topic