You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Underage squads: Best Prospects

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 303304305306307 329>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zizu Kilbane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2023 at 10:51pm
Seems to have gone under the radar here, but Kenny's young fella Eoin is also in the squad, having previously been called up by the North
"Sometimes, sh*t happens, someone's gotta deal with it, and who ya gonna call?"
Sponsored Links

Green Cockade View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Cockade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2023 at 11:31pm
Likewise Conor Barr of Derry City.
Luis Amor Rodriguez View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luis Amor Rodriguez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2023 at 11:33pm
Good to see Sean Moore called up at U19 - right enough. 

However, out of a U19 squad of 36 home-based players, it's disproportionate to have only 2 that are based in the North.

Potentially approx 20% of our home-based players should come from there (on a rough-take of demographics).  

The FAI should really focus on getting more lads from the 6 counties involved at a young age.  
10 Box View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 10 Box Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2023 at 11:42pm
Ollie O'Neill loan to Derry. Good move.
Artie Ziff View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Artie Ziff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2023 at 1:38am
Originally posted by Luis Amor Rodriguez Luis Amor Rodriguez wrote:

However, out of a U19 squad of 36 home-based players, it's disproportionate to have only 2 that are based in the North.

Potentially approx 20% of our home-based players should come from there (on a rough-take of demographics).  

The FAI should really focus on getting more lads from the 6 counties involved at a young age.  

Nah, just let the IFA coach them and we poach em 

Hi Terri Thumbs Up
It would damage this forums' reputation
King_Kenny View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King_Kenny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2023 at 8:21am
Originally posted by Luis Amor Rodriguez Luis Amor Rodriguez wrote:

I wonder did they try for Paddy Kelly West Ham. Although where he’s from could definitely make any switch difficult.
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Cockade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2023 at 8:36am
Kelly has been involved with NI underage football since he was about 10, as has his West Ham colleague Callum Marshall who was with Linfield. He also knew another NI underage player now with West Ham-Michael Forbes, formerly of Dungannon Swifts. They helped persuade him to join West Ham. I don’t know if the FAI has spoken to him though he has already represented NI at under-19 level. He would be a very good acquisition if he did switch.
Nialler View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nialler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2023 at 8:44am
Nice being able to subcontract out our coaching work.
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2023 at 9:29am
Originally posted by 10 Box 10 Box wrote:

Good that he'll be playing senior football for the rest of the season. Good half a season and could lead to a better loan move in the summer.
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2023 at 11:17am
Originally posted by Nialler Nialler wrote:

Nice being able to subcontract out our coaching work.

What are we meant to do? The FAI can't set up where the lad is from. They're getting him in at 17 now, which is still very young, so I'd say that's about as good as they can do.
We're decent enough..
mully_85 View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mully_85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2023 at 4:24pm

Forbes at West Ham is from Ardboe area in East Tyrone and from a GAA background… wouldn’t take much persuasion from an approach from the FAI
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Cockade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2023 at 4:30pm
Maybe Moore will talk to him. Latest on Moore is that Newcastle offered to match the West Ham bid during the window, Brighton and Celtic also very keen but Cliftonville wanted to hold on to him until the summer to aid their League and Cup campaigns and no doubt also to profit from a likely bidding competition then from interested clubs.
JoxerDaly View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoxerDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2023 at 5:14pm
Originally posted by mully_85 mully_85 wrote:

Forbes at West Ham is from Ardboe area in East Tyrone and from a GAA background… wouldn’t take much persuasion from an approach from the FAI

Sean McAllister at Everton and Cormac Austin at Palace also.
pateen View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pateen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2023 at 5:16pm
Originally posted by 10 Box 10 Box wrote:

The Fulham lad?
Flying so high, trying to remember
How many cigarettes did I bring along?
When I get down I'll jump in a taxi cab
Driving through London town, to cry you a song
Eoink21 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eoink21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2023 at 6:34pm

Trying to do a little more digging and I see his parents' names are Conor and Ciara .

You say it wouldn't take much persuasion but our squads are hardly inundated at present with lads from the six counties. 

One point on Moore which I hate making but is worth considering is that he hasn't played competitively for NI. If things don't work out for him with us then he can settle for NI in the future if they are willing to pick him at senior level and we are not. That means he doesn't get his name unfairly bandied about by Michael O'Neill like when he decided to pull a Nelson Muntz-like "haha" on Daniel Devine for not going to the Euros with NI because he had used up his switch already having played for NI at under 21 and switching to us. Hopefully it doesn't come to this but we did see Stephen Mallon a couple of years ago say he didn't grow up dreaming of playing for NI but didn't think he was going to get the ROI cap he dreamt of so was settling for NI. 

Edited by Eoink21 - 07 Feb 2023 at 6:34pm
Badgersboys9 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Badgersboys9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2023 at 6:42pm
Originally posted by Eoink21 Eoink21 wrote:

Trying to do a little more digging and I see his parents' names are Conor and Ciara .

You say it wouldn't take much persuasion but our squads are hardly inundated at present with lads from the six counties. 

One point on Moore which I hate making but is worth considering is that he hasn't played competitively for NI. If things don't work out for him with us then he can settle for NI in the future if they are willing to pick him at senior level and we are not. That means he doesn't get his name unfairly bandied about by Michael O'Neill like when he decided to pull a Nelson Muntz-like "haha" on Daniel Devine for not going to the Euros with NI because he had used up his switch already having played for NI at under 21 and switching to us. Hopefully it doesn't come to this but we did see Stephen Mallon a couple of years ago say he didn't grow up dreaming of playing for NI but didn't think he was going to get the ROI cap he dreamt of so was settling for NI. 

That's a bit creepy to be honest Eoin.

Also, it's not as if there's been loads of Irish fellas playing for the North. The few who has accepted a senior cap in the past would not of been close to getting into the Irish set up. Just hasn't been being producing many players with the required standard, nothing to do with choosing NI over Ireland.
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Cockade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2023 at 7:09pm
Trying to make sense of that last paragraph. Anyone playing for NI is normally Irish, or a granny ruler, even if they have British passports. There’s been the odd exception like Maik Taylor who had nothing to do with Ireland, north or south. One player springs to mind-Alex Bruce, an Engishman-who got a couple of senior caps for both. There’s been various switchers over the years who have been motivated by career considerations rather than patriotism, these things happen. Re Michael Forbes at West Ham, I think he’s a centre half so playing in a position where getting a NI cap would look a less challenging proposition. I am hoping that the decisions of Sean Moore and recently Mark Sykes will help motivate other talented young players from the north to follow in the footsteps of Duffy, McClean, Wilson, Gibson, etc.

Edited by Green Cockade - 07 Feb 2023 at 7:10pm
Eoink21 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eoink21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2023 at 7:39pm
Originally posted by Badgersboys9 Badgersboys9 wrote:

Originally posted by Eoink21 Eoink21 wrote:

That's a bit creepy to be honest Eoin.

Also, it's not as if there's been loads of Irish fellas playing for the North. The few who has accepted a senior cap in the past would not of been close to getting into the Irish set up. Just hasn't been being producing many players with the required standard, nothing to do with choosing NI over Ireland.

Published here. I was just trying to get a steer as to whether he had a GAA background or something but nothing in there. 

You don't think there have been many Irish fellas playing for the North? Or just none of the standard that would be good enough for Ireland, underage and senior? I think GC is right in that regard. There is pragmatism at play. Even among underage set ups Daithi McCallion (am I allowed to say who his mother is i.e. an SF politician) is with NI. I have no idea if he is good enough for ROI but I can't imagine NI is his first choice. 

Edited by Eoink21 - 07 Feb 2023 at 7:42pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 303304305306307 329>
  Share Topic