You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Underage squads: Best Prospects

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 224225226227228 329>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pauldaly1984 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2021 at 2:06pm
Liam scales is 22 I think. If hes going there it would want to be as part of first team
Sponsored Links

nvidic View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nvidic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2021 at 2:10pm
Originally posted by 9fingers 9fingers wrote:

Originally posted by nvidic nvidic wrote:

Liam Scales off to Celtic, apparently 
Hate seeing young Irish lads going there 

Likewise, done nothing for any of them who've gone lately 
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2021 at 2:19pm

Plenty put this down to coincidence and they just not being good enough but Oko Flex who I’m sure I had someone describe him as “useless” on here oddly enough has looked a different player in pre season for West Ham. Only pre season I know but the point stands.

Scales is a senior player so it is different to the other lads. Also a positive to see players in the LOI being signed by decent English/Scottish clubs. 
Bandwagon View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2021 at 2:49pm
Originally posted by doherty doherty wrote:

The usual pittance i suppose??

Out of contract at the end of the season, so yeah probably. But arent the 2 clubs owned by the same owner anyway?
CillDara View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CillDara Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2021 at 2:59pm
Not out of contract until the end of 2022 season, so they should be able to get some sort of fee. John Fallon reporting it will be a 'significant six figure sum', read elsewhere it was 600k but could be a number plucked from the sky.

Not sure what to make of this move, think I said here a few weeks ago that I think Scales could be a future international in the not too distant future, but I think Celtic are probably my least favourite club to see Irish players sign for these days. I've no doubt he is good enough for the SPL but will they give him a chance?

As a Rovers fan, resigned to losing him eventually but hoping we could have held onto him until the European games are over at least. If 600k is true then it is a good fee to receive in fairness.
doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2021 at 3:10pm
600 grand. Thats ridiculous. 100 id say would be closer if it a 6 figure sum.
I love beer gardens
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2021 at 3:22pm

There's the usual argument that maybe the players like Oconner, okoflex, connell etc were just not good enough.

However, if the player does look like he's not good enough, celtic seem content to just let the player rot in the reserves.

They could do a lot more for say Luca Connell then send him to a Queens Park level team.

Cant bear to watch irish players go there.
Nialler View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nialler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2021 at 7:03pm
Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

There's the usual argument that maybe the players like Oconner, okoflex, connell etc were just not good enough.

However, if the player does look like he's not good enough, celtic seem content to just let the player rot in the reserves.

They could do a lot more for say Luca Connell then send him to a Queens Park level team.

Cant bear to watch irish players go there.

Agreed and it is crazy to see players not looking at it think... no way am I going up there.

O Connor and Luca will end up being players though, So will Okoflex by the looks of it. They just have an awful underage system and only die hard celtic fans would argue otherwise. I warned all those Celtic fans they had lost the plot recently and were going to get turned by Rangers this season too and they did. Got the height of abuse for it too LOL

Everything thing I said to them proved prescient. must actually find it now and have a laugh at them reposting it.

Edited by Nialler - 02 Aug 2021 at 7:06pm
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2021 at 8:14pm
Apparently there might be a few English clubs in for him also, so hopefully it might not end up being Celtic that he goes to. Won't be anywhere near 600k though. 160 maybe.

Have always rated Scales, going back to his UCD days. Was surprised it took him a while to nail down a first team place at Rovers but now he seems to have outgrown them quite quickly. If it is to be the UK for him I'd rather see him go to League 1 than to Celtic - he needs to be a first team player at his age.
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2021 at 8:37pm
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

Apparently there might be a few English clubs in for him also, so hopefully it might not end up being Celtic that he goes to. Won't be anywhere near 600k though. 160 maybe.

Have always rated Scales, going back to his UCD days. Was surprised it took him a while to nail down a first team place at Rovers but now he seems to have outgrown them quite quickly. If it is to be the UK for him I'd rather see him go to League 1 than to Celtic - he needs to be a first team player at his age.

Agree with that, only bright spot is that the celtic defence is an absolute shambles. Fingers crossed that he hots the ground running and he finds himself with a shot at the first team.
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2021 at 9:08pm
Desmond to Desmond transfer so we’ll probably never here an accurate figure if it goes through. 
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2021 at 9:32pm
Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

Agree with that, only bright spot is that the celtic defence is an absolute shambles. Fingers crossed that he hots the ground running and he finds himself with a shot at the first team.

At 22/23 I seriously doubt they would sign him for any other purpose then to go in the first team. Is he any worse then Taylor for example. I’m a Chinaman if he’s a worse player then Greg Taylor. I wouldn’t use teenagers getting lost as a stick to beat this move with as Scales is a senior player. 
CillDara View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CillDara Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2021 at 9:40pm
I'm not sure, I rate Scales very highly but I can't see him going straight into the celtic starting XI. I'm not overly familiar with the Celtic players anymore, but Greg Taylor has caps for Scotland, I don't think Scales is going to come in and take his slot from day one. He will be waiting for a chance in a cup game or if there are a few injuries.

Pure speculation here, but I think Celtic like signing young Irish players as they have such a big following here, if one of them comes good then they know this player will be a big hit off the field commercially.

My gut instinct is that in two years time Scales will not be starting for Celtic and will be looking for a move away. Hopefully I am wrong as I think if they gave him a proper run in the team he would step up to the plate no problem.. 

Edited by CillDara - 02 Aug 2021 at 9:41pm
Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2021 at 10:09pm
Desmond has probably chosen half the celtic players in recent years.

Very good chance Scales could be warming the bench with the new manager is thinking .. who's this bloke?...
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2021 at 8:17am
Originally posted by CillDara CillDara wrote:

I'm not sure, I rate Scales very highly but I can't see him going straight into the celtic starting XI. I'm not overly familiar with the Celtic players anymore, but Greg Taylor has caps for Scotland, I don't think Scales is going to come in and take his slot from day one. He will be waiting for a chance in a cup game or if there are a few injuries.

Pure speculation here, but I think Celtic like signing young Irish players as they have such a big following here, if one of them comes good then they know this player will be a big hit off the field commercially.

My gut instinct is that in two years time Scales will not be starting for Celtic and will be looking for a move away. Hopefully I am wrong as I think if they gave him a proper run in the team he would step up to the plate no problem.. 

Most if not all the players Celtic have signed recently were for free. So from a Celtic perspective, it's a low cost and low risk signing, where they can take a closer look at them and if they are good enough - great. If not, they'll eventually be let go.
And most of them aren't good enough.

I don't rate Taylor at all, so I could see Scales eventually taking his place, but he's got to earn it.

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
nvidic View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nvidic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2021 at 8:40am
Deleted the copy and paste article from Balls, just link to the article. 

The lads there don't put the site together for free and rely on people visiting the site. 
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2021 at 9:42am

Deleted the copy and paste article from Balls, just link to the article. 

The lads there don't put the site together for free and rely on people visiting the site. 

Yeah good shout, will post links going forward.
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2021 at 11:08am
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Originally posted by CillDara CillDara wrote:

Most if not all the players Celtic have signed recently were for free. So from a Celtic perspective, it's a low cost and low risk signing, where they can take a closer look at them and if they are good enough - great. If not, they'll eventually be let go.
And most of them aren't good enough.

I don't rate Taylor at all, so I could see Scales eventually taking his place, but he's got to earn it.

Ajeti, Turnbull, Starfelt, Barkas, the Japanese forward, Abada - none were for free
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 224225226227228 329>
  Share Topic