You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Underage squads: Best Prospects

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 218219220221222 329>
Author
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2021 at 11:00pm
Originally posted by JoxerDaly JoxerDaly wrote:

Originally posted by Bandwagon Bandwagon wrote:

Originally posted by kevin100 kevin100 wrote:

I’d add Zak Gilsenan into this list too. Has ourselves and Australia as an option but every chance he may declare for us surely. Looks an exceptional prospect.

...I dunno about that

“I was born in Australia and they’re the country I have a really good feeling for,” he explained.

“I was there until the age of nine, growing up and playing junior football at Sorrento (in Perth).

“It would be massive for me to one day play for the Socceroos - and I’m really going to push for that.”

He was in a training camp with Ireland 2 months ago. Those comments are lobger from 2 years ago. He has since matured and seen error of his ways 

A training camp full of dual eligible players many of who have little to no interest in representing us.

The whole intention of of the camp was to try turn a few heads towards us.

Wont hold my hope with Gilsenan. Sure he'd be better off with Australia, they qualify for the World Cup and Asian Cup every time round. The later of which they've won and qualified for the Confederations Cup. Plus little competition squad wise. He'd be mad to switch.
Sponsored Links

greenshoots View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greenshoots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2021 at 11:02pm
oh I’m not sure about that one, going to Celtic hasn’t worked out for numerous underage players for us….

It’s one of the new managers first signings so it definitely is a strange one.

Fingers crossed he has been signed to go straight into the first team squad and can get a chance to impress 
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2021 at 11:14pm
I doubt the manager had anything to do with it to be honest. Celtic seem to pick up a few out of contract youth players from England every summer now. Most disappear within their useless youth system and fall away down the leagues or out of the game completely once they're let go. Every now and then they hit the jackpot with someone like Frimpong, who turned up ready to play first team football and didn't need to be developed at all, but that's much more the exception than the rule.

In Lawal's case we're talking about a player who's only claim to fame is that Troy Deeney once said he was decent, so best to set the bar low here I'd say.

Edited by You Tell Me - 12 Jul 2021 at 11:15pm
Green Cockade View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Cockade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2021 at 12:20am
There was rather more noise about Ryan Cassidy as a young striker at Watford though his loan spell last season at Accrington Stanley was tough for him and he had injuries. He's 20 now so we'll see if he gets a game or two in the PL next season. He may not have endeared himself to some fans by tweeting "It's coming home to Rome!" last night.
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2021 at 12:43am
Originally posted by Green Cockade Green Cockade wrote:

There was rather more noise about Ryan Cassidy as a young striker at Watford though his loan spell last season at Accrington Stanley was tough for him and he had injuries. He's 20 now so we'll see if he gets a game or two in the PL next season. He may not have endeared himself to some fans by tweeting "It's coming home to Rome!" last night.

Funnily enough, he's eligible for England according to this: https://www.irishmirror.ie/sport/soccer/everton-transfer-news-ryan-cassidy-12636808.

He seemed to disappear midway through January. He was apparently injured but I couldn't really find anything specifying what was keeping him out for so long. I wonder if it was just an injury or was there something else at play.
Badgersboys9 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Badgersboys9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2021 at 12:57am
Originally posted by Hotlips_Hoolahan Hotlips_Hoolahan wrote:

Funnily enough, he's eligible for England according to this: https://www.irishmirror.ie/sport/soccer/everton-transfer-news-ryan-cassidy-12636808.

He seemed to disappear midway through January. He was apparently injured but I couldn't really find anything specifying what was keeping him out for so long. I wonder if it was just an injury or was there something else at play.

Not a chance in hell a young Irish lad declares for England regardless of a 'family link'.
Green Cockade View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Cockade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2021 at 7:08am
He describes himself as " a proud Irish international " on twitter and waxed lyrical about Italy's victory so I doubt if he would have any notions of defecting to England. Remains to be seen if he can deliver on all that early promise but let's hope so.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2021 at 8:57am

There was rather more noise about Ryan Cassidy as a young striker at Watford though his loan spell last season at Accrington Stanley was tough for him and he had injuries. He's 20 now so we'll see if he gets a game or two in the PL next season.

Cassidy? Not a hope. He looked out of his depth at Accrington even before the injury. He might play a league cup game if he stays but he's be better looking for a League 2 loan move to see if he can find his current level there.
Bandwagon View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2021 at 2:34pm
Originally posted by Hotlips_Hoolahan Hotlips_Hoolahan wrote:

Thigh injury. Picked it up start of the year and couldn't shake it off, ended up going back to Watford in March for treatment.
Bandwagon View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2021 at 10:13pm
Just seen on my Twitter feed there, Coventry, Odubeko and Oko-flex all got minutes for West Ham today in pre season. (Randolph too but hes hardly a prospect LOL). Coventry scored their second in a 2-1 win. Hopefully he can a decent loan away this season, really needs to be kicking on.
CillDara View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CillDara Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2021 at 9:13am
I haven't watched as much LOI or Rovers as normal this season, but I'd be surprised if Liam Scales doesn't end up getting a move away and an international call up at some stage in the future. He has all of the qualities needed to play across the back line and never seems to panic on the ball. There will be a left back slot up for grabs when Enda Stevens retires and I wouldn't be surprised if he has his eyes on it. 
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2021 at 11:16am
Agree about Scales. He has always impressed me both at club level and when he played with the Under 21s. Very comfortable on the ball - seems like the kind of centre back a lot of overseas clubs would want to have in their team.

Is his contract up at the end of the season?

Edited by You Tell Me - 14 Jul 2021 at 11:17am
connord96 View Drop Down
Phil Babb
Phil Babb

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote connord96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2021 at 11:16am
Can't say I've been majorly impressed every time I've seen him. He doesn't strike me as a great ball player and never looks entirely comfortable on the ball imo. Still a young prospect but don't see him being much more than a lower championship player at best.
gazurtoids View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gazurtoids Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2021 at 11:22am
Cian Coleman doing pre- season with the Leeds first team....16yr old midfielder never heard of him

Is he Irish Irish or maybe Irish depending on how well or not his club career progresses
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2021 at 11:27am
He was one of the English based lads called up to the Under 19 training squad a few months ago. No clear commitment to any country yet I don't think, but presumably Irish eligible.
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2021 at 11:34am
Originally posted by gazurtoids gazurtoids wrote:

Cian Coleman doing pre- season with the Leeds first team....16yr old midfielder never heard of him

Is he Irish Irish or maybe Irish depending on how well or not his club career progresses

Irish if he's sh*t. English if he's good. Wants to focus on his club career/mend niggling injuries if he's somewhere in between.
Eoink21 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eoink21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2021 at 1:00pm
Cian Coleman is a very strong Irish name. One could suggest the same for Declan Rice. But Cian is probably one of those names that became more prominent from the 90s onwards so it could be that he has an Irish father. Reaching...
darmack View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darmack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2021 at 2:50pm
Or a westlife loving Mother
The dark side.. And the light
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 218219220221222 329>
  Share Topic