You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Underage squads: Best Prospects

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 169170171172173 329>
Author
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2020 at 10:12pm

Best 2 prospects by position, I think the new year will be good to these lads.

Goalkeeprs 
Kelleher 
Bazuzu 

Devenders
Oshea 
Collins 

Midfielders
Knight 
Molumby

Forward
Connolly
Parrott

Sponsored Links

oldbilly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2020 at 4:13pm
Originally posted by Wheelo Wheelo wrote:

Originally posted by kevin100 kevin100 wrote:

What do people think on this proposed rule?

It’s a great rule - and should have always been the case. 15/16 is too young for kids to go over to England imo.

I remember John o sheas Mam wouldn’t let him go to united until he completed his leaving cert. Proper order.

Roy Keane, Paul McGrath - more recently Coleman, Doyle, Hunt, Murphy, Stevens, Horgan, fahey (before second spell), Maguire - among others - did them no harm at all going over a bit older or playing in the league of Ireland before going over. 

Would prefer if it coincided with league of Ireland clubs investing in proper academies and academy facilities (like rovers) - but bottom line is I believe that it can benefit them going over when a bit more mature - and certainly first team competitive football also benefits them before going over.

Agreed if clubs all had comparable set ups as roadstone it would be great, all we need now is every other club to discover a millionaire fan and a billionaire backer to write off the inevitable debt associated.
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2020 at 5:12pm

It’s a great rule - and should have always been the case. 15/16 is too young for kids to go over to England imo.

I remember John o sheas Mam wouldn’t let him go to united until he completed his leaving cert. Proper order.

Roy Keane, Paul McGrath - more recently Coleman, Doyle, Hunt, Murphy, Stevens, Horgan, fahey (before second spell), Maguire - among others - did them no harm at all going over a bit older or playing in the league of Ireland before going over. 

Would prefer if it coincided with league of Ireland clubs investing in proper academies and academy facilities (like rovers) - but bottom line is I believe that it can benefit them going over when a bit more mature - and certainly first team competitive football also benefits them before going over.

It would require some long term patience though and a scenario of drink piss for 5 years to be drinking champagne in the long term. 

A Rovers/Bohs like academy set up for most of not all Irish clubs makes this rule beneficial it also improves the standard of the League by default. 

Lads stay until they are 18 you can use to be a proper breeding ground for top players and let the League develop a reputation for this or more of a reputation than it has or should have. 

English clubs start paying Irish clubs let’s say a couple of million for the likes of a Bazunu at 18 who’s then more than likely go straight into the first team as opposed to the academies at 16. Of course some of the top lads then will go out further across Europe thats to be expected.

This pumps more money into the League and it actually starts with the top clubs. Rovers/Bohs or Dundalk start getting money for let’s say an Evan Ferguson or a Gavin Bazunu they have money to invest in themselves but also go out and buy a top young talented 16/17 from a Cobh Ramblers Sligo Rovers Wexford etc let’s say for 50-100k which gives those clubs significant money. 

All a knock on effect and the League with more money gets stronger you may start getting an Irish side into the Europa League relatively often and not just to make up the numbers/be performing miracles to get there.
Who’s to say you mightn’t get to the stage you will get an Irish team into the CL group stage in time.

It would all take time of course but it’s something that would benefit the game here hugely as long term relying solely on the English game isn’t going to benefit us.
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2020 at 5:17pm
Originally posted by The Huntacha The Huntacha wrote:

Originally posted by CillDara CillDara wrote:

I presume since it’s been finalised it will be fine yeah? 

In future if we can do it properly this will actually benefit Irish soccer/LOI in that a good Irish club can hold an Evan Ferguson until 18 and get to the stage they can start getting transfer fees off English clubs for young talents like him. 

What do people think on this proposed rule? Or will the FAI in typical Irish fashion kick up stink and instead of innovating and using it as an opportunity demand “we want our players going to England at 16” cause it’s easier for them/requires less critical thinking.

It could go a couple of ways I suppose, a big opportunity for our LoI clubs to hold onto players a bit longer and hopefully start commanding bigger fees for the lads who do go over. Also should mean less lads going over and returning home as 'failures' at 19/20 which might mean better standard of player in the league of Ireland. 

On the other hand right now there are not many clubs around the country who have set ups comparable to what these lads would get in England and without investment in coaching and facilities it could mean that we are producing lower quality players without some players getting top class coaching in England.

It will be interesting to see what happens, FAI will need to capitalize on it in order for this to turn into a positive. I wonder will we start seeing more young lads going further afield?

Since the news broke over the last couple of days, it's been noticeable that figures like Will Clarke and Shane Supple are quite outspoken about how we're not ready to take advantage of this at the moment.

It could be a big opportunity, but would require clubs to get their sh*t together, along with massive government investment, both of which are unlikely.

Basically it not just to get there sh*t together but to be brave and be prepared to suffer in the short term if that means reaping the benefits in the long term. 

Government investment it’s amazing what you might pull out of the fire if you gave them an attractive proposal and showcase how much it would benefit the game here long term. 

What’s astonishing is that John Delaney and his FAI cronies for all its documented what they have done its only when you see an opportunity like this that could go missing do you see the actual long term damage done and how it’s going to effect Irish soccer for an awful long time yet.
Wheelo View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wheelo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2020 at 6:35pm
Originally posted by oldbilly oldbilly wrote:

Agreed if clubs all had comparable set ups as roadstone it would be great, all we need now is every other club to discover a millionaire fan and a billionaire backer to write off the inevitable debt associated.

Well if other clubs got off their holes and started looking, you never know.

But leaving that aside, I was always of opinion that clubs should be forced to put aside a certain percentage of their budget into a fund for youth academy, infrastructure, etc. For example if your playing budget is 1 million, forced to set aside 100k, if budget 100k forced to set aside 10k, etc

The constant cycle of throwing all your money on players wages has done nothing for the league. Fair play to rovers - they got someone to invest in a youth academy. If I won the lotto tomorrow, I wouldn’t give the drogs a cent for players wages, would be all towards the youth.  We need to start investing in youth. 
"Not surprised you are anti foreigner in your so called Kip of a town when you don’t want a manager because he is Swedish and you want big Sam in charge" - a fine post from a fine ybig poster
DeclanDaly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeclanDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2020 at 1:31am
You asked if I'd be anyone from history, fact or fiction, dead or alive:
I said "I'd be Tony Cascarino, circa 1995"
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeclanDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2020 at 2:21am
Jake Doyle Hayes getting a lot of plaudits for St Mirren this last few weeks. His arrival seems to have coincided with their uptick in form and he’s apparently been impressive alongside Jamie McGrath n midfield.

Interesting one. Didn’t get much of a look-in with our U21s but has been loved everywhere he’s played so far. Could be a slow burner.

Hopefully St Mirren can stay up this season.

Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2020 at 2:48am
Zack Elbouzedi had the pick of three strong performances from Irish players in Lincoln's Papa John's Trophy tie against Shrewsbury.

Zack Elbouzedi: After a slow start to his Imps career, this performance showed what he is capable of. His assist for Scully’s goal was sublime, then took his goal well and also set up the third. Could have scored more. Boasts incredible pace but glides across the turf. 9/10
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeclanDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2020 at 10:33am
Originally posted by Hotlips_Hoolahan Hotlips_Hoolahan wrote:

Zack Elbouzedi had the pick of three strong performances from Irish players in Lincoln's Papa John's Trophy tie against Shrewsbury.

Zack Elbouzedi: After a slow start to his Imps career, this performance showed what he is capable of. His assist for Scully’s goal was sublime, then took his goal well and also set up the third. Could have scored more. Boasts incredible pace but glides across the turf. 9/10

Great to hear he’s kicking on. Looks good in the highlights 

aviva8 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aviva8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2020 at 10:45pm
Andrew Omobamidele 18 year old sub on Norwich team for the last number of games
doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2020 at 10:47pm
Originally posted by aviva8 aviva8 wrote:

What do we know about him? Not another uk born player is he?
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote DeclanDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2020 at 11:08pm
Originally posted by doherty doherty wrote:

Originally posted by aviva8 aviva8 wrote:

What do we know about him? Not another uk born player is he?

From Ireland. More on him here:

doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2020 at 11:57pm
Sounds promising good to see Thumbs Up
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2020 at 12:06am
Originally posted by savo01 savo01 wrote:

Under 21 Squad

Gk Ian Lawlor 27 October 1994 (age 19) 2 0 England Manchester City

GK Justin Merz 27 September 1992 (age 21) 1 0 Germany Karlsruher SC

DF Mason Watkins-Clark 1 January 1995 (age 19) 2 1 England Stoke City

DF Jack Connors 24 October 1994 (age 19) 2 0 England Dagenham & Redbridge

DF Bradley Garmston 18 January 1994 (age 20) 2 0 England West Bromwich Albion

DF Shane Griffin 8 September 1994 (age 20) 2 0 England Reading

DF Pierce Sweeney 11 September 1994 (age 20) 2 0 England Reading

DF Sean Long 2 May 1995 (age 19) 1 0 England Reading

DF Tommie Hoban 24 January 1994 (age 20) 1 0 England Watford

DF Eoghan O'Connell 13 August 1995 (age 19) 0 0 Scotland Celtic

MF Jack Grealish 10 September 1995 (age 19) 6 1 England Aston Villa

MF Kenneth McEvoy 4 September 1994 (age 20) 2 0 England Peterborough United

MF Jack Byrne 24 April 1996 (age 18) 2 0 England Manchester City

MF Darragh Lenihan 16 March 1994 (age 20) 2 0 England Blackburn Rovers

FW Kieran Sadlier 14 September 1994 (age 20) 2 0 England West Ham United

FW Conor Wilkinson 23 January 1995 (age 19) 2 0 England Bolton Wanderers

FW Sam Byrne  23 July 1995 (age 19) 1 0 England Everton

Recent call ups

DF Kevin Feely 30 August 1992 (age 22) 1 0 Wales Newport County v.  Qatar, 24 May 2014

DF Brian Lenihan 8 June 1994 (age 20) 1 0 England Hull City v.  Qatar, 24 May 2014

DF Bradley Lewis 24 January 1995 (age 19) 1 0 England Aston Villa v.  Qatar, 24 May 2014

MF Will Hayhurst 24 February 1994 (age 20) 3 0 England Preston North End v.  Qatar, 24 May 2014

MF Luke Gallagher 29 July 1994 (age 20) 1 0 England Burnley v.  Qatar, 24 May 2014

FW Michael Drennan 2 February 1994 (age 20) 2 0 England Aston Villa v.  Qatar, 24 May 2014

Under 19 Squad

1 Eric Grimes 4 February 1995 (age 19) England Leeds United 4 (0)

16 Shane Fagan 23 February 1995 (age 19) Republic of Ireland Shamrock Rovers 2 (0)

Defenders

4 Steven Smith 19 April 1994 (age 20) England Leicester City 3 (0)

5 Pierce Sweeney (c) 11 September 1994 (age 20) England Reading 5 (0)

2 Noe Baba 8 August 1996 (age 18) England Fulham 4 (0)

18 Sean Long 2 May 1995 (age 19) England Reading 0 (0)

15 Shane Griffin 8 September 1994 (age 20) England Reading 6 (0)

Evan Finnegan 5 August 1995 (age 19) Free Agent 3 (0)

Midfielders

11 Sean Kavanagh 20 January 1994 (age 20) England Fulham 0 (0)

13 Carel Tiofack 20 May 1994 (age 20) Spain Cádiz CF 1 (0)

10 Luke Gallagher 29 July 1994 (age 20) England Burnley 7 (0)

7 Kenneth McEvoy 4 September 1994 (age 20) England Tottenham Hotspur 0 (0)

3 Bradley Garmston 18 January 1994 (age 20) England West Bromwich Albion 8 (0)

6 Brandon Miele 28 August 1994 (age 20) England Newcastle United 6 (0)

17 Will Hayhurst 24 February 1994 (age 20) England Preston North End 1 (0)

14 Adam Evans 3 May 1994 (age 20) England Burnley 1 (0)

Forwards

8 Kieran Sadlier 14 September 1994 (age 20) England West Ham United 7 (1)

9 Sam Byrne 23 July 1995 (age 19) England Manchester United 5 (3)

12 Sean Maguire 1 May 1994 (age 20) England West Ham United 3 (0)

Depressing to read that list from 6 years ago only Lenihan Maguire and Byrne have senior appearances for Ireland and loads more I have  barely heard of since and of course we lost one to England  
AKA pedantic kunt
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2020 at 7:45am
That was a particularly weak set of squads. We had a few especially bad years, from the groups of players born from around 93/94 up to about 1997 we produced almost no international quality players from our domestic system. Players in those age groups are aged from 23 to 26 now so we're paying the price for that with our senior team at the moment while we wait for the more promising younger age groups to push though.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2020 at 2:46pm
Danny Grant linked with a move to Hull in January. Hasn't worked out well for Sean McLoughlin there....
Four-Four-Two View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Four-Four-Two Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2020 at 3:27pm
mc loughlin did well at first, good loan in scotland and play quite regularly in the last part of previous season. not so involved this year but bias to say it has been bad yet, there has been as much good for him so far as bad
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2020 at 10:55pm
Not sure if it's been mentioned anywhere but Sinclair Armstrong is at QPR now: https://www.qpr.co.uk/news/under-18s-news/sinclair-armstrong-joins-under-18s-231020/
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 169170171172173 329>
  Share Topic