You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Underage squads: Best Prospects

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 158159160161162 330>
Author
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr. Pat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2020 at 7:16am
Originally posted by DeclanDaly DeclanDaly wrote:

Absolute peach of a goal from Bohs tonight. Devoy with amazing touch and cross and a sweet Omochere finish. 

He looks like a serious talent doesn't he? His composure and awareness stands out everytime I see him. Assisted the second aswell with a lovely cross from the left for Corcoran.
Geremi has let Kilbane in here, cross comes out to Holland, 1:1!!
Sponsored Links

JoxerDaly View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoxerDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2020 at 11:00am
u21 international Stephen Mallon has switched to the North, from Belfast and on loan at Derry, says its purley football reasons, has looked good at times with Derry but probably dosent fancy his chances with the talent coming through, think he jumped ship a bit early myself but best of luck the lad.
zizu Kilbane View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zizu Kilbane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2020 at 11:14am
Originally posted by JoxerDaly JoxerDaly wrote:

u21 international Stephen Mallon has switched to the North, from Belfast and on loan at Derry, says its purley football reasons, has looked good at times with Derry but probably dosent fancy his chances with the talent coming through, think he jumped ship a bit early myself but best of luck the lad.

Odd one considering that he has played for the under 21s already. Agree he's probably jumping too early. Very honest in saying he thinks it will be easier for him to get into the senior squad up there as his motivation. Will hold my hands up and admit I don't know much about him - Any Derry fans able to comment?

Suspect he he'll be welcomed with open arms by the same orcs who were bashing Sykes for his similar decision 
"Sometimes, sh*t happens, someone's gotta deal with it, and who ya gonna call?"
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2020 at 11:24am
IIRC he played in the Toulon tournament and didn't impress me.
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2020 at 11:24am
Originally posted by zizu Kilbane zizu Kilbane wrote:

Suspect he he'll be welcomed with open arms by the same orcs who were bashing Sykes for his similar decision 

Excellent use of the word 'Orc' there.
Isn't used nearly enough in today's world...Tolkien would be proud Big smile
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2020 at 11:31am

That's a strange one. Think he's looked quite promising for Derry whatever about being underwhelming at Toulon. Natural wingers are one of the only positions that we are spoilt for choice at underage, so I definitely think he's jumping ship too early. Hopefully someone has a word with him and asks him to hold off.
We're decent enough..
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2020 at 11:35am
Originally posted by Fozz Fozz wrote:

Excellent use of the word 'Orc' there.
Isn't used nearly enough in today's world...Tolkien would be proud Big smile
I have been reciting the 'Lord of the Rings' in my dreams. It seems I am Tolkien in my sleep...
Maccatacca View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maccatacca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2020 at 11:44am
We should demand compensation for paying for his training.
He robbed another player of a chance to play under-21 football for Ireland. Etc. Etc.
zizu Kilbane View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zizu Kilbane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2020 at 12:22pm
Should the FAI start running camps, underage training etc in the 6 counties? I think the time is probably right. 
"Sometimes, sh*t happens, someone's gotta deal with it, and who ya gonna call?"
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2020 at 12:53pm

He's looked decent at times for Derry, without nailing down a starting spot. Seems to be very quick off the mark and his time at Derry will definitely help his progress. Very early days but I've seen nothing in him to suggest he'd become a big player for us.

Best of luck to him.
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
AbuAbu View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AbuAbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2020 at 1:00pm

Should the FAI start running camps, underage training etc in the 6 counties? I think the time is probably right. 

I'm trying to work out if this is a sarcastic post or a serious one!
It's not me it's you:-)
Green Cockade View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Cockade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2020 at 1:23pm
There was an opinion piece by Chris Donnelly in yesterday's Irish News suggesting that the FAI would be compelled to set up development centres across the north to meet the demand if young players were somehow forced to not accept places within the IFA's underage teams. It's a logical argument. The likes of Sykes, Duffy, McClean, etc did not invent the existing system so cannot be blamed for playing within it. Some of the reaction to Mark Syke's decision has been downright unhinged in NI, e.g. Gareth McAuley arguing that young players and their parents should have to sign a contract with the IFA agreeing to pay all the costs of coaching, etc if they switched allegiance. Insane, of course, but the IFA may well be sufficiently blinkered and sectarian to advocate such a thing. The balloons who run the show have learned nothing since the Daniel Kearns judgement of ten years ago.
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2020 at 1:33pm
Originally posted by Green Cockade Green Cockade wrote:

There was an opinion piece by Chris Donnelly in yesterday's Irish News suggesting that the FAI would be compelled to set up development centres across the north to meet the demand if young players were somehow forced to not accept places within the IFA's underage teams. It's a logical argument. The likes of Sykes, Duffy, McClean, etc did not invent the existing system so cannot be blamed for playing within it. Some of the reaction to Mark Syke's decision has been downright unhinged in NI, e.g. Gareth McAuley arguing that young players and their parents should have to sign a contract with the IFA agreeing to pay all the costs of coaching, etc if they switched allegiance. Insane, of course, but the IFA may well be sufficiently blinkered and sectarian to advocate such a thing. The balloons who run the show have learned nothing since the Daniel Kearns judgement of ten years ago.

The more I hear from him, the more he comes across like a raving bigot. The mask is going to slip one day if he's not careful.
davekoolhill View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davekoolhill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2020 at 1:49pm
It was fascinating to read Mallon's quotes today. 

"It's been a family decision. It's more of a decision made with my head rather than my heart. I've grown up always wanting to play for Ireland but I feel switching to Northern Ireland is a good footballing move for me". 

Good to hear the honesty. But I still prefer players following the heart as I think it's the essence of international football. 
Twitter: DaveOGrady1
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2020 at 1:52pm
Originally posted by davekoolhill davekoolhill wrote:

"It's been a family decision. It's more of a decision made with my head rather than my heart. I've grown up always wanting to play for Ireland but I feel switching to Northern Ireland is a good footballing move for me". 

Good to hear the honesty. But I still prefer players following the heart as I think it's the essence of international football. 

It's unrealistic to expect everyone to bleed green and die for the jersey. Like, say, Harry Arter.
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2020 at 2:17pm
Originally posted by davekoolhill davekoolhill wrote:

That's a massive oversimplification of a very complex issue. Many people will be proud of one or more nationalities, some having no interest at all in national identity at all other than the recognition and achievement it brings them. 
It is hardly a new thing either. Luis Monti played in the first two World Cup Finals for two different teams. The 'essence of international football' has always been different to different people and have been entirely dependant on the eligibility rules. 
It seems football fans have a determination to apply their own interpretation of national identity on to football players and teams. It is illogical.
DeclanDaly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeclanDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2020 at 9:16pm
Jack Taylor, signed by Peterborough last year from Barnet, was subject of a 2 million pound bid this summer. Probably a championship club. 

Some trajectory for the lad. Kenny got some criticism for calling him up to the U21s
You asked if I'd be anyone from history, fact or fiction, dead or alive:
I said "I'd be Tony Cascarino, circa 1995"
Mr. Snrub View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Snrub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2020 at 9:50pm
Originally posted by DeclanDaly DeclanDaly wrote:

Jack Taylor, signed by Peterborough last year from Barnet, was subject of a 2 million pound bid this summer. Probably a championship club. 

Some trajectory for the lad. Kenny got some criticism for calling him up to the U21s

Scored some crackers last season!
"Here's Robbie Keane...... yeeeessss! That is no more than Ireland deserve!"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 158159160161162 330>
  Share Topic