You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Underage squads: Best Prospects

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 147148149150151 329>
Author
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2020 at 12:34am
Best underage performers that earned themselves breakthroughs this season

Jason Knight (7/10) 6 goals and an assist for Derby and I'd say ready for a senior call up already 

Dara O'Shea (8/10) likely to be a premier league player next season and has been very good this season, I'd say ready for a senior call up.

Jayson Molumby (6/10) played a lot of games this season for Millwall but dropped off of late. Very nearly ready for the seniors.

Michael Obafemi (5/10) getting some Premier league game time and has a couple of goals. Needs to get more game time before he's ready for the senior team so hopefully a loan next season.

Aaron Connolly (8/10) has been starting games in the PL or at least comes off the bench. Performances are getting better each game and I'd say should be good for a senior call.

Conor Masterson (5/10) has had a great breakthrough season and it getting better the more he plays. Probably the best young defender we have with the ball to feet. Not ready for senior call but will be if he keeps progress up next season 

Nathan Collins (5/10) started games for Stoke early on but has been struggling of late but still achieved so much as he's so young. Not ready for a senior call yet.

Mark Travers (3/10) started the year strong but hasn't been seen since, a loan move next season will do him the world of good. 

Will Smallbone (7/10) has been getting some really good PL game time and has started a few games too. Very good on the ball and should be a consideration for the seniors very soon.

Adam Idah (6/10) coming off the bench more and more of late and looks really tidy. If he adds a few more starts and goals he'll be good in the championship next year. Not ready for a senior call yet but may very well be next year 

Troy Parrott (4/10) has seen some first team PL games with Tottenham, very likely a loan spell next year in the championship. Should be a massive year next year. 

Sponsored Links

Scissors Kick View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scissors Kick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2020 at 2:25am
Can't agree with Obafemi needing a loan, he's in the match day squad and sees game time most of the time now, he needs to stay in not take a step back on a loan. He's not a player they'd be looking to send out hopefully either. 
cildaratown View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

killdare town

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cildaratown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2020 at 2:45am
Originally posted by Scissors Kick Scissors Kick wrote:

Can't agree with Obafemi needing a loan, he's in the match day squad and sees game time most of the time now, he needs to stay in not take a step back on a loan. He's not a player they'd be looking to send out hopefully either. 

Agree and with 5 subs a game next year he’s going to get a lot of opportunities if he can stay fit. 
Nialler View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nialler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2020 at 3:52am
Originally posted by Mr Brick Mr Brick wrote:

Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

Jason Knight (7/10) 6 goals and an assist for Derby and I'd say ready for a senior call up already 

Dara O'Shea (8/10) likely to be a premier league player next season and has been very good this season, I'd say ready for a senior call up.

Jayson Molumby (6/10) played a lot of games this season for Millwall but dropped off of late. Very nearly ready for the seniors.

Michael Obafemi (5/10) getting some Premier league game time and has a couple of goals. Needs to get more game time before he's ready for the senior team so hopefully a loan next season.

Aaron Connolly (8/10) has been starting games in the PL or at least comes off the bench. Performances are getting better each game and I'd say should be good for a senior call.

Conor Masterson (5/10) has had a great breakthrough season and it getting better the more he plays. Probably the best young defender we have with the ball to feet. Not ready for senior call but will be if he keeps progress up next season 

Nathan Collins (5/10) started games for Stoke early on but has been struggling of late but still achieved so much as he's so young. Not ready for a senior call yet.

Mark Travers (3/10) started the year strong but hasn't been seen since, a loan move next season will do him the world of good. 

Will Smallbone (7/10) has been getting some really good PL game time and has started a few games too. Very good on the ball and should be a consideration for the seniors very soon.

Adam Idah (6/10) coming off the bench more and more of late and looks really tidy. If he adds a few more starts and goals he'll be good in the championship next year. Not ready for a senior call yet but may very well be next year 

Troy Parrott (4/10) has seen some first team PL games with Tottenham, very likely a loan spell next year in the championship. Should be a massive year next year. 

Well done, Left Foot. Excellent reference point, good unbiased analysis. 

Think it is quite harsh on Jayson Molumby. Millwall fans regard him as one of their players of the season. Troy got 0 game time for Spurs so I wouldn't be so harsh either or just not have him in the list. Otherwise I agree with the rest.
Howdo View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Howdo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2020 at 7:36am
Anyone know the situation with O’Connor & Afolabi, neither travelled with the Celtic squad. You’d have hoped they’d be pushing for the first team this season

Connell did but not sure if he got game time.

Coffey is another you’d hope to be pushing
Green Cockade View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Cockade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2020 at 7:49am
Okoflex also, he has been on the bench previously.
Howdo View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Howdo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2020 at 8:03am
Originally posted by Green Cockade Green Cockade wrote:

Okoflex also, he has been on the bench previously.

Is he fully committed?
Green Cockade View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Cockade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2020 at 8:36am
His most recent international appearance was for our under-19s so it looks like Ireland has won over England and Nigeria for his allegiance. He's 18 now and needs to kick on.
aviva8 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aviva8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2020 at 9:04am
I actually think if Bournemouth went down that it might be good for Gavin kilkenny(who is another promising player) and Mark Travers. I say they have a better chance of seeing more game time and both still very young
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2020 at 9:37am
Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

The fickleness of some of those ratings is amusing. If you'd made it a few weeks ago, I'd wager that Molumby would have got an 8 and Smallbone a 5, but based on the fact that one has got a few games over the last month and they other hasn't the ratings are completely turned around... Parrott's rating is absolutely bizarre too, in what world is a 17/18 year getting minutes in the EPL only worth 4/10? That's an absolutely huge achievement!

Edited by The O'Shea - 19 Jul 2020 at 9:38am
We're decent enough..
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2020 at 10:07am

His most recent international appearance was for our under-19s so it looks like Ireland has won over England and Nigeria for his allegiance. He's 18 now and needs to kick on.

I think we won to the extent that we're the only ones still interested.

Connell was the only one of the five Irish lads to make the 25 man squad for France. He hasn't seen a minute of football in the two games out there. The other four didn't even make the 25 and haven't a hope of playing for Celtic any time soon.

Celtic have an incredible ability to sign promising young players and turn them into nobodies. Throw the man management/ player development disaster that is Neil Lennon into the mix and you can forget about these lads for a good while, unless they can get loan moves.
Howdo View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Howdo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2020 at 10:21am
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

Connell was the only one of the five Irish lads to make the 25 man squad for France. He hasn't seen a minute of football in the two games out there. The other four didn't even make the 25 and haven't a hope of playing for Celtic any time soon.

Celtic have an incredible ability to sign promising young players and turn them into nobodies. Throw the man management/ player development disaster that is Neil Lennon into the mix and you can forget about these lads for a good while, unless they can get loan moves.

Totally agree with you about Lennon, he came in and won a League last year that was already won, got handed the League this season, as well as Rangers falling apart.

He’s terrified of Rangers

Watched them and Celtic play this tournament and Rangers are streets ahead at the moment

He definitely won’t give our lads a chance and what were promising players will probably find themselves back here or at lower league clubs in the uk

Edited by Howdo - 19 Jul 2020 at 10:32am
Nialler View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nialler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2020 at 10:39am
Whatever you do do't say this to Celtic fans LOL They don't realise that Lincoln city are becoming a more attractive proposition than going up north because of how they are handling their youth. Which is basically a blackhole for promising players. You send a classy youngster and they give you back a year one plumbing apprentice.  I critiqued Lennon basically saying outright I think he is a Charlatan average Joe manager who actually belongs at Hibs and the like and they went into meltdown. It is just a fact? you sound like a hun rar rar rar LOL
Their underage system is basically non existent now. They have no league and the guy who does their loans and player development is developmentally challenged.
I think there must have been a mistake on his CV.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2020 at 10:42am
Originally posted by Nialler Nialler wrote:

Whatever you do do't say this to Celtic fans LOL They don't realise that Lincoln city are becoming a more attractive proposition than going up north because of how they are handling their youth. Which is basically a blackhole for promising players. You send a classy youngster and they give you back a year one plumbing apprentice.  I critiqued Lennon basically saying outright I think he is a Charlatan average Joe manager who actually belongs at Hibs and the like and they went into meltdown. It is just a fact? you sound like a hun rar rar rar LOL
Their underage system is basically non existent now. They have no league and the guy who does their loans and player development is developmentally challenged.

Lennon is a "black hole" when it comes to bringing through young players, Celtic certainly is not. Dembele, Edouard, Tierney etc all point to the fact that Celtic can be a brilliant destination for talented young players if you've got a manager prepared to give them a chance.
We're decent enough..
Howdo View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Howdo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2020 at 10:45am

I’m a massive Celtic fan, and like a lot, I think Lennon is a sooofer

Plus the board are only interested in lining their own pockets, just watch the lack of signings this season

horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2020 at 10:57am
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

It's actually the total opposite.
Tierney
Wanyama
Forster
Dembele
Virgil van Dijk
and many others too.

Many promising players never make the breakthrough expected of them.

The vast majority of players playing for Celtic are young players, and the ones who don't are simply not good enough.

I also don't get how Lennon is terrified of Rangers? Celtic finsihed 13 points ahead of Rangers, and the if the league wasn't abandoned, that gap would have been bigger.

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2020 at 10:58am
Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

Lennon is a "black hole" when it comes to bringing through young players, Celtic certainly is not. Dembele, Edouard, Tierney etc all point to the fact that Celtic can be a brilliant destination for talented young players if you've got a manager prepared to give them a chance.

This myth was dismissed previously, not sure why your continuing with it.

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2020 at 11:10am
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

This myth was dismissed previously, not sure why your continuing with it.

Because it's not a myth, Lennon does not have a good record bringing through youth prospects. In fact he's hopeless enough at it.
We're decent enough..
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 147148149150151 329>
  Share Topic