You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Make it Irish

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 16>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2017 at 12:46pm
Originally posted by Denis Irwin Denis Irwin wrote:

Bosco ?
LOL I assume the link is not working...I shall try again
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2017 at 12:47pm
Beans as part of the fry
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2017 at 12:53pm
Originally posted by Sham157 Sham157 wrote:

enjoy the main pic in this article lads
Several faults with that picture! That is clearly an English breakfast. Toast instead of Irish brown bread,no pudding and that is very clearly an English sausage, not a proper Irish breakfast sausage. It is to be expected from the shoneens at Montrose though.
Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2017 at 12:54pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Several faults with that picture! That is clearly an English breakfast. Toast instead of Irish brown bread,no pudding and that is very clearly an English sausage, not a proper Irish breakfast sausage. It is to be expected from the shoneens at Montrose though.
Thought you'd like it
FrankosHereNow View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
I like Klopp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankosHereNow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2017 at 1:32pm
I like beans but never on the same plate. I'm very fussy about my sausages as well. That's why I generally prefer making it myself than going anywhere for breakfast. Sausages have to be Superquinn, Tescos finest or from a decent butchers. No cheap or jumbo sausages. Denny sausages are muck. I love black and white pudding but I wouldn't make them them that often.
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row
Cabra Hoop View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2017 at 1:37pm

No wonder there are job cuts in RTE if they pay people to write this dirge......
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2017 at 1:40pm
Originally posted by FrankosHereNow FrankosHereNow wrote:

I like beans but never on the same plate. I'm very fussy about my sausages as well. That's why I generally prefer making it myself than going anywhere for breakfast. Sausages have to be Superquinn, Tescos finest or from a decent butchers. No cheap or jumbo sausages. Denny sausages are muck. I love black and white pudding but I wouldn't make them them that often.
Very messy alright, blood everywhere.
FrankosHereNow View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
I like Klopp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankosHereNow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2017 at 1:49pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Originally posted by FrankosHereNow FrankosHereNow wrote:

Very messy alright, blood everywhere.
Buy them, cook them, f**k off.
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row
rossieman View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rossieman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2017 at 1:58pm

I hope that Barry O'Rourke is a competition winner,woeful article .

If you take the few things he mentioned its about 10c more for them now compared to 2008.

Beans have no place on a fry btw.

HuntysCousin View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HuntysCousin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2017 at 2:33pm
You really do learn something new every day, I thought everyone has beans with a fry! I could barely eat one without them, I think they're great. Black pudding is far superior to white pudding also
Green Devil View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Aye Kes, I've pissed me-self again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2017 at 2:40pm
Beans are grand with a fry, once the whole plate isn't covered in them.

Nothing worse than having your toast and fried egg covered in beans......

"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan
SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2017 at 3:38pm
Those sausages are giant. Breakfast sausages should be small. The rashers should be back rashers too, not f**king streaky rashers or crispy bacon. They should be well enough cooked of course, but not crispy.

Two rashers, two sausages, two slices of black pudding, one fried egg and f**k off with your mushrooms and tomatoes. Beans I can take or leave, and I like a bit of white pudding as well, but it's not a deal breaker.

Bread, in order of preference: fried potato bread, fried or toasted soda bread (as in a soda farl), or just plain toast (third choice, but you have to have some manner of bread). And if you're not having beans, there's nothing wrong with a bit of tomato ketchup.

Orange juice and tea to drink. Orange juice and tea if you have a hangover, just tea on its own if you don't.

Rudds make good sausages and nice pudding too (not too oaty). Their bacon isn't what it was, too much water. O'Neill's bacon (green and white packaging) is nice.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2017 at 3:48pm
Originally posted by SuperDave84 SuperDave84 wrote:

Those sausages are giant. Breakfast sausages should be small. The rashers should be back rashers too, not f**king streaky rashers or crispy bacon. They should be well enough cooked of course, but not crispy.

Two rashers, two sausages, two slices of black pudding, one fried egg and f**k off with your mushrooms and tomatoes. Beans I can take or leave, and I like a bit of white pudding as well, but it's not a deal breaker.

Bread, in order of preference: fried potato bread, fried or toasted soda bread (as in a soda farl), or just plain toast (third choice, but you have to have some manner of bread). And if you're not having beans, there's nothing wrong with a bit of tomato ketchup.

Orange juice and tea to drink. Orange juice and tea if you have a hangover, just tea on its own if you don't.

Rudds make good sausages and nice pudding too (not too oaty). Their bacon isn't what it was, too much water. O'Neill's bacon (green and white packaging) is nice.

So much wrong here SD, very disappointing as you started off well. Ketchup??You may as well pour honey and brown sugar on the plate. Rudds don't do anything even edible, it is all atrocious. Even Denny can manage better.
If it doesn't have pudding or proper Irish soda bread then it can't call itself an Irish breakfast. An English breakfast or an Ulster fry are all grand, but call them what they are.
AntrimMan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
YBIG's resident Nordy/London Hipster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AntrimMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2017 at 4:01pm
I think we can all agree here, if its not Clonakilty Black Pudding ye can fook right off. Even the English have realised this. Its THAT obvious
@AntrimMan85
SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2017 at 4:05pm
Ketchup is grand, and it's only a small amount.

Clonakilty black pudding is nasty stuff imo, full of oats. It's far cheaper than Rudds to make I bet, full of filler. It really isn't the best. Just because you've been brought up with it doesn't make it the best. I'll agree Denny isn't great though, albeit I do like Rudds, especially the sausages.

Also, I grew up in Ulster, and I didn't called it an Irish breakfast in my post. I'm clearly just saying the breakfast I prefer. Soda bread (by which I assume you mean what northerners would call wheaten bread, like the stuff McCambridge's make) isn't something I've ever had with breakfast.
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2017 at 4:07pm
Used to like Granbys Black Pudding but gone off it completely. Absolute pain in the hole to cut
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2017 at 4:16pm
Originally posted by SuperDave84 SuperDave84 wrote:

Ketchup is grand, and it's only a small amount.

Clonakilty black pudding is nasty stuff imo, full of oats. It's far cheaper than Rudds to make I bet, full of filler. It really isn't the best. Just because you've been brought up with it doesn't make it the best. I'll agree Denny isn't great though, albeit I do like Rudds, especially the sausages.

Also, I grew up in Ulster, and I didn't called it an Irish breakfast in my post. I'm clearly just saying the breakfast I prefer. Soda bread (by which I assume you mean what northerners would call wheaten bread, like the stuff McCambridge's make) isn't something I've ever had with breakfast.
Irish black pudding contains oatmeal, that Rudds stuff is dry, flavourless and full of salt. It is usually sold in cheap Irish breakfasts in dodgy Irish pubs, including one I worked in that did the worst breakfast ever produced. Clonakilty wouldn't be my favourite pudding, there are local butchers like Haulie O'Neill in the town, Caherbeg or Staunton's near by that I think are better. It is the best that is widely available,; I am sure every locality will have one decent butcher making it.
The debate was centred on the Irish breakfast though, I do like a potato farl ora 'tattie'  scone. I also like the Scottish square slice and Welsh laverbread, but they are all irrelevant!

Edited by pre Madonna - 22 Mar 2017 at 4:17pm
DUBLIN DOC View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
The F The F The FAI

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DUBLIN DOC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2017 at 5:47pm
Originally posted by Denis Irwin Denis Irwin wrote:

Used to like Granbys Black Pudding but gone off it completely. Absolute pain in the hole to cut
Try using a knife and give you're hole a break
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 16>
  Share Topic